•  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clay County 2016
I think combs could eventually be a good coach, but as I've said all along he is too inexperienced to handle the beast of a situation that he has gotten himself into.

PS: bobcat, clean out your inbox, I can't msg you back.
Yeah I think he sees that now. I believe he may be a bobcat next football season in my opinion. A lot of talk about a few guys coming back on staff. Just speculating but I think he realizes what he got himself into. Here at Breathitt we aren't in the best shape in the world but with getting Holcomb coming back (maybe) to help out and some more assistant coaches I think we can be competitive here again. I think he should go back to being a coordinator for a little while then go explore again. Also in my opinion if he does decide to stay there he will do better this season. Last year he wasn't around for weight lifting because he wasn't hired by the school. Also heard you guys don't have a weight lifting class. Better be getting one of those if you want to compete with Wayne and Knox. I would have hired him in january so he could have been in the building. So he has only been around since June of last year. Not a lot of time to put things in. So you gotta do what you gotta do. I think if he stays you will see that they will improve from last season. I don't really know his assistants but your only as good as your assistant coaches. Hopefully he has some go getters. If he stays you guys will see improvements over the next couple of years if he has the proper support.
Just an awful situation, I said from day one that Combs didn't know what he was getting into. No assistants, No weightlifting class, No nothing. Used to be a bunch of guys on here running there mouths about this and that and not even any of that anymore.
I hope he don't come back to breathitt..... They are a long way from gettin it goin. No talent there to win..... They are really a mess too, but hopefully on the upswing.....
After talking with him some I believe he is gonna stay in clay. He is talking like he has some talent coming up that can be for real. Said his freshman and sophomores did well this past season and the 8th graders coming in have talent. As for the chuck and duck offense, I'm pretty sure that will not be there next year. Some people in Clay don't realize what they have. Yeah he is young and still learning. We all start somewhere. If he does stay at Clay he will keep trying his hardest bringing them back and it will get there with time. If he comes back to Breathitt that will be a good assistant for Moore to have on staff.
To me its very simple to get success at Clay County.

1. Have two 8th grade teams and two 7th grade teams (Team A and Team B for both classes) This would allow more kids to play and fall in love with the sport. Even though I love to win, it really doesn't matter for the overall picture.

2. Make freshman and JV a priority. I understand that many times these young players need to be hitting dummies for the Varsity because of the low numbers but that only hurts you later on. Make these young players know they are special!!

3. Play simple football but do it Right!!! run the football and play great defense. Also, we have to put time and effort into our special teams. Clay County has always been a joke on special teams. ITS a THIRD OF THE GAME!!!!!

4. Clay County needs good quality grade school coaches. We have a few but some our outright JOKES!!!

5. Encourage your players to play multiple sports!

6. Have an IN-school weight lifting class. If they get their lifting done at school.... Encourage them to go out and get jobs. I'm sure many of these young men see laziness at home but change their minds about that.

7. We have to have our coaches at the School!! How can we lead these young men if we do not work there?? Be seen! Grade checks! Let these students especially the young men know YOU CARE!!

8. KILL philosophy = Keep it Likeable and learn able and the KISS philosophy = Keep it Simple Stupid.

9. Up-date the weight room for all the team sports!

In my humble opinion and you know what they say about opinions: this is your recipe for success at Clay County.
CCFOOTBALL1 Wrote:To me its very simple to get success at Clay County.

1. Have two 8th grade teams and two 7th grade teams (Team A and Team B for both classes) This would allow more kids to play and fall in love with the sport. Even though I love to win, it really doesn't matter for the overall picture.

2. Make freshman and JV a priority. I understand that many times these young players need to be hitting dummies for the Varsity because of the low numbers but that only hurts you later on. Make these young players know they are special!!

3. Play simple football but do it Right!!! run the football and play great defense. Also, we have to put time and effort into our special teams. Clay County has always been a joke on special teams. ITS a THIRD OF THE GAME!!!!!

4. Clay County needs good quality grade school coaches. We have a few but some our outright JOKES!!!

5. Encourage your players to play multiple sports!

6. Have an IN-school weight lifting class. If they get their lifting done at school.... Encourage them to go out and get jobs. I'm sure many of these young men see laziness at home but change their minds about that.

7. We have to have our coaches at the School!! How can we lead these young men if we do not work there?? Be seen! Grade checks! Let these students especially the young men know YOU CARE!!

8. KILL philosophy = Keep it Likeable and learn able and the KISS philosophy = Keep it Simple Stupid.

9. Up-date the weight room for all the team sports!

In my humble opinion and you know what they say about opinions: this is your recipe for success at Clay County.

When can you start? Sounds good on paper. I have heard that combs has been looking at other jobs and as alluded to by some other posters he may not be back next year. I would like to have a coach that is fully committed to being a tiger. From what I hear, Combs has a lot going on and I don't know if he can put in the time it takes be successful at this point in time.
Combs can't do this by himself. The community has to jump on board also. What was going on in Clay County when The Tigers beat Scott County 41-26 in 2010? They had 11 Seniors and the young men could play.

This staff and that staff are similar. The majority of them played football at Clay County. Yeah, their is a bigger basketball culture here but Football does well here also. Win some ball games, the kids will come back out. It isn't rocket science.
Oldschoolplayer Wrote:Combs can't do this by himself. The community has to jump on board also. What was going on in Clay County when The Tigers beat Scott County 41-26 in 2010? They had 11 Seniors and the young men could play.

This staff and that staff are similar. The majority of them played football at Clay County. Yeah, their is a bigger basketball culture here but Football does well here also. Win some ball games, the kids will come back out. It isn't rocket science.

I disagree. The head coach of that team was a 6 time State Champion in Florida as a defensive coordinator with years of experience. The Napier's were both on staff with years of experience as well another coach from Florida that played for Arnett. Samples, Gilbert, and a few more guys as position coaches that have been around forever and that staff was way stronger than the current one.

Now you've got Combs with only a handful of years experience and non in a leadership role until this year. Gilbert and Hensley have years of experience but other than those guys everyone else has been a youth or middle school coach and from what I can see just stand around. Nowhere near the quality of the 2010 staff, but then again there is not as much talent here as their was then either.
Arnett was a staff member on 2 state championship teams in Florida('96 & '99) at Lakeland High where he was the defensive line coach. Sometime in the early 2000s he became defensive coordinator at Lake Gibson High which is also in Lakeland, FL. Most importantly though, he brought a winning attitude to Clay. He saw what it took to be prepared and compete on a weekly basis and he saw LOTS of D1 talent on a weekly basis. There can be success again at Clay but I think it will take a core group of players who do not play basketball. When I think back on Clay's successful years the majority of the starters only played football...with a few playing baseball. Some notable exceptions are Sean Pennington, Anthony "Pepper" Gilbert and Deshae Henson.
TheTigersEye Wrote:When can you start? Sounds good on paper. I have heard that combs has been looking at other jobs and as alluded to by some other posters he may not be back next year. I would like to have a coach that is fully committed to being a tiger. From what I hear, Combs has a lot going on and I don't know if he can put in the time it takes be successful at this point in time.

He has turned jobs down to stay there. If that isn't commitment I don't know what is. He has been in the weight room since mid December. That's commitment. Rumors on coaches happen all the time. Heck I figured he would take one of those jobs but he didn't. So how can you say he isn't committed? He is doing what all coaches are doing right now in the state and most of those coaches have a weight lifting class and get to go home after school. Are they not committed also?
The coaching profession is not what it used to be at all. Look at the situation bell is in now. Used to that would have been a job coaches jumped at. Just not what it used to be fellas.
I am just saying that he has his eye on whats out there obviously, can't be turning down jobs if you aren't inquiring about them. I get it, I don't even blame him at this point, it's a tough situation out here. An in school weightlifting class would be a great thing to add for Combs, I heard he is driving all the way from Breathitt every day now and has moved back that way. That's tough man, If he could lift the kids during the school day that would save him time on the back end of things in the evenings and he could get home earlier. Makes it tough on a coach when the admin isn't willing to bend.
What was the weight room open today?
are you asking if the weight room was opened? Or was it closed today?

I'm sure it was opened for a little bit. Combs lives in Manchester right?
From what I've head Combs lives in Breathitt and commutes. That has to be a tough drive to work everyday and takes time away from family. I think that's why in school weight lifting would be a big deal for him to fight for.
back when I played at clay. 20 + guys was in the weight room on a snow days. In order to win. Kids have to know you are committed as well.

In school weight lifting would be for the guys that had to work after school or have problems finding a ride. In school weight liftng class would still mean coach would have to be there 4 days or more a week.
Well let's bring this back to the top, how many we got in the weightroom? Any new guys out putting work in?
Clay trying to match Bell in being disfunctional
I hope the guy does good, I saw Clay play 2 times this year and did not look like they were coached very IMO. But you all hired a guy that was an asst coach at Magoffin Co. that hasn't been coaching that long, so you got what you deserved there. I am not against the guy and hope he does well, but I am just stating the obvious. And last time I check no one gets fired if the varsity has a good record and the jv don't. When you don't have big numbers it is hard to play a jv game it just is. How can you justify a kid that starts varsity or plays a bunch and he gets hurt in a jv game and is out for a couple of weeks and now you are playing with a backup jv player in that spot. Sorry cant do it.
The Eagle has landed Wrote:I hope the guy does good, I saw Clay play 2 times this year and did not look like they were coached very IMO. But you all hired a guy that was an asst coach at Magoffin Co. that hasn't been coaching that long, so you got what you deserved there. I am not against the guy and hope he does well, but I am just stating the obvious. And last time I check no one gets fired if the varsity has a good record and the jv don't. When you don't have big numbers it is hard to play a jv game it just is. How can you justify a kid that starts varsity or plays a bunch and he gets hurt in a jv game and is out for a couple of weeks and now you are playing with a backup jv player in that spot. Sorry cant do it.

Honestly it's really not Coach Combs fault he was put in this situation with only a handful of years coaching. I hope he gets it going in the right direction with more experience under his belt but right now it's like he is being asked to pilot a NASA shuttle and his only is experience is riding in a plane. There is just absolutely no interest in our football program right now, and our basketball program is just about as dysfunctional. With the kids we graduate I don't see it getting any better next season.
When does spring ball start?
Hopefully they've started and plan on practicing through the end of the season.
I bet you never played a down for clay county. On here trying to be a troll.
Ouch... What I meant to say was, I've heard they've got 50 out for spring practice not counting track and baseball kids and are looking at a 7-9 win season this year. Better?

Team not very good+saying team not very good= troll.
You guys get so touchy and feelings hurt on here. :igiveup:
Not feelings hurt. More of calling a spade a spade. Be constructive!
Heard they've been in the lab with a pen and a pad drawing up some super secret plays for this season. Heard we might see the annexation of Puerto Rico when the time is right. Clay County has defiantly shut up on here and it's all quiet in manchester.
Well, what's the word on spring practice? Any new guys out? I head Sexton might be sitting out football this year to focus on hoops, don't know if there's any truth to that but it's what someone told me.
Coach the kids that come out. One player doesn't make the team.

The powers that be don't want a good program. What about hiring a guy but not his wife? So they have to travel back and fourth. However, I guess they justify it by saying local people need a job also.

Horrible committee in my honest opinion. They should have worked out all the details. Which brings the question. Who all was on the hiring committee?
  •  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next