Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tri County 2015 Football Awards - Times Tribune
Single Wing 77 Wrote:I do understand kids coming out in the third quarter. Happens a few times every season for good teams. I don't think north could have went to highlands and beat them. I do however think that within the next two to three years they'll get their chance. After this senior class at Pulaski graduates that region is wide open. If they continue on their current trajectory they could very well be competing for the state title game very soon. I'd like to see the redhounds and the jags renew their series. I honestly hope for nothing but the best for north going forward. Every young man on this list is an awesome football player. Any team would be lucky to have them. I hope they all get the opportunity to play college football.

I think the next two seasons are going to be stellar for North Laurel, with their good Sophomore class coming on, it will be a fun ride. All the fans are looking forward to football at North Laurel, it is an exciting time for that school. They have built something there they should be very proud of. It's easy to say they didn't do this or do that, but the fact remains they have tied that county's best football season record ever, that's pretty neat for any school to be able to say. By the same token others on BGR are just as proud of their football teams records, and their players, that is what this forum is all about talking about playing high school football. I for one love these discussions, I learn a lot about other teams that I didn't know very much about.

:Thumbs:
Van Hagar Wrote:I would think if Les had a bias and wanted to spread things around to all teams, then South Laurel would have had some manufactured awards. That is after all where Les's daughter goes to school and is a very talented member of their softball team.

Yes, one would think. Good point there, I wasn't aware of that!
HG_Bullfrogs Wrote:Yes he played with this senior bunch at NL up till 9th grade maybe even as freshman. He was big force on middle school championship.
But Corbin has had so many Laurel County kids I can't even remember them all so it's no surprise.
Pretty silly I think thinking dalton should be over Cole McWhorter, Cole is a first year starter went 9-0 in first 9 starts and has pretty crazy numbers considering his running back was leading scorer in state not just 5A and leading rusher

He left North Laurel after 8th grade year. His parents sold their house out by camp ground and moved to corbin the summer before thr start of his freshman year. Thats how he ended up at Corbin, wasn't to go play football but the family moved so his dad would be closer to work.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Living The Dream!!
jamesdeane Wrote:I too was surprised by the omission of Harley Lambert. But I follow Corbin, so I am probably biased. The running joke in Corbin is that the paper is called the ABC(Anybody But Corbin) Times Tribune.

Someone put the Lambert theory to rest with stats earlier. I get a copy of the Times-Tribune every day and as someone else pointed out Corbin gets a lot of coverage. I don't know where that is coming from unless you are thinking about the way it used to be before it covered the tri county area sports and that was about all they covered was Corbin. I have been around long enough to remember when it was Corbin Times-Tribune, and only covered Corbin sports. I happen to like the way it is now covering the tri county area, where you can take that paper and keep up with what is going on all over. That 'end zone' they put out is really good. A friend from out of town saw the 'end zone' on my table and really liked it, he took a copy back to his hometown to get something like that done in his area.
panther nation Wrote:He left North Laurel after 8th grade year. His parents sold their house out by camp ground and moved to corbin the summer before thr start of his freshman year. Thats how he ended up at Corbin, wasn't to go play football but the family moved so his dad would be closer to work.
He practiced at NL high school as a freshmen I know because I'm old friend with old middle school coach and I saw Harley at practice once when I was their old middle school coach dusty
Blitzer Wrote:Out....you want to tall out of the game for good. NL's Senior WR-DW, was out the last 3 games of the season. #28 Burkhardt, a Sophomore took his spot. It wasn't talked up, because you have to suck those injuries up & continue on, every team does it!

Yes, we noticed that North's WR/DB Burkhart was not playing the last few games, wondered if he was injured. Who was the Sophomore that filled his spot? He did great!
All that have been mentioned are deserved of the award. To the one not mentioned thank you for giving all that you have to bring the best out of yourself and your team. Thank you.
Congrats to all the award recipients. Lots of good players in the area.
campbellfield Wrote:I've heard that the Corbin Times-Tribune doesn't include Corbin in their name any longer and their sports section on Saturday is on a rotation whether or not a team has (Corbin or whoever) has a big win, won't even be the main story. What a shame! London has a newspaper that covers London/Laurel County...why does a Corbin paper feel they need to cover London? and give them more coverage than Corbin? I'm fine with it because I don't need them for their gossip...3 people being arrested for meth in Laurel County isn't what sells papers anymore, h ell that happens about everyday...If I want to read about London I will buy the echo, if I want to read about Williamsburg (or Corbin) I will buy the News Journal (Corbin Last Week) Barbourville has the advocate...I appreciate the TT wanting to cover everything, but is their really a need? Heck, move to London...most people in Corbin have cancelled anyway.

It may be because a The News Journal took a kid fresh out of college, made him sports editor, and they still come up with better sports articles.
Van Hagar Wrote:I would think if Les had a bias and wanted to spread things around to all teams, then South Laurel would have had some manufactured awards. That is after all where Les's daughter goes to school and is a very talented member of their softball team.

It would be hard not to know that.
Her picture was literally in the news paper almost every single week during softball season.

I started noticing that last year when I realized it and every week there after there it was.
E's Army Wrote:Congrats to all the award recipients. Lots of good players in the area.

I agree. All they others commenting have got nothing but complaints. Just enjoy the game and go with it.
Come on guys Les Dixon is my friend and does a great job on promoting sports in the Tri-County Why all of the hater. Confusederiously:
Blitzer Wrote:2015 Team of the year: North Laurel
Coach of the year: Chris Larkey, North Laurel
Player of the year: Steven Nelson, North Laurel
Offensive Player of the year: Luke Woods, Whitley County
Defensive Player of the year: Jake McWhorter, North Laurel
Co-Newcomers of the year: Cameron Sizemore, Corbin
Cole McWhorter, North Laurel.

Congratulations, to all these players and schools represented.

:1::1::1::1::1::1::1:

Luke Woods and Steve Nelson should exchange awards.
64SUR Wrote:Come on guys Les Dixon is my friend and does a great job on promoting sports in the Tri-County Why all of the hater. Confusederiously:
Confusedtare:
Woods was real special. Would have been my pick for player of the year.
E's Army Wrote:Woods was real special. Would have been my pick for player of the year.

Would have been my pick also...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
pjdoug Wrote:Luke Woods and Steve Nelson should exchange awards.

Oops - Those pesky stats again: Nelson: yds rushing: 2292, TD rushing 36, 231 total pts, 50 tackles. Woods: 1764.yds rushing, TD rushing 19, 120 total pts, 31 tackles.
Special Team Wrote:Oops - Those pesky stats again: Nelson: yds rushing: 2292, TD rushing 36, 231 total pts, 50 tackles. Woods: 1764.yds rushing, TD rushing 19, 120 total pts, 31 tackles.

I think both young men are excellent players and deserving. If you are talking about pesky stats though, Luke also had 1778 yards passing and 18 TD.
Blitzer Wrote:What? That was just 3a voting on that. Lambert, had 50 tackles on the year, the Mcwhorter kid had 175 tackles on the year. You have to be realistic.

You do realize that the DL's job in the running game is mainly to eat up blockers so that the LB's can make the tackles, so 50 tackles is a lot of tackles for a DL. North Laurel's DL must have done a really good job for him to get that many tackles. Stats are also very subjective.
I thought that Luke Woods should have been the Player of the Year, considering the numbers he put up and how much he meant to his team.
SEKYFAN Wrote:You do realize that the DL's job in the running game is mainly to eat up blockers so that the LB's can make the tackles, so 50 tackles is a lot of tackles for a DL. North Laurel's DL must have done a really good job for him to get that many tackles. Stats are also very subjective.

You realize that was just 3a in that district voted on that, player of the year award.. Those kids are both good, but playing 3a & 5a is a bit different competition too, you have to take that into consideration. NL's DL one of the best in the state a lot of us thought. NL Mcwhorter, also one of the best blockers a lot of us have ever seen in this area ever. Hard to replace a player like him.

What was combined record of this awesome schedule NL played that he got all those tackles?
Played 2 teams that could play. Montgomery (7 wins and Pulaski)
Southwestern is a good win but without the best player on their team! #4
HADDIXHOUNDS Wrote:What was combined record of this awesome schedule NL played that he got all those tackles?

These teams play who they play, they have to play their district games, this has been beat to death on here. NL more than proved their worth, they beat SW and played Pulaski defending state champs right down to the wire the end of the season. They were a GOOD team and had good PLAYERS, they have made enough of an impact, all the 'HATERS' in the area have come out in full force. Too bad people can't just be happy for a team - that has done well and had overall individual success, but they have to be jealous because they did well. Amazing to me it is that way, but it sure is!

:haters:
Special Team Wrote:Oops - Those pesky stats again: Nelson: yds rushing: 2292, TD rushing 36, 231 total pts, 50 tackles. Woods: 1764.yds rushing, TD rushing 19, 120 total pts, 31 tackles.

Those pesky stats...

Nelson - 271 rushes for 2,292 yards (8.5 avg) and 37 total TDs
Woods - 204 rushes for 1,764 yards (8.6 avg) and 20 TDs
1800 yards passing and 18 TDs - 3,564 Total yards and 38 total TDs
HADDIXHOUNDS Wrote:What was combined record of this awesome schedule NL played that he got all those tackles?

Must have short memory of Corbin's pitiful schedule for years in the past or even must be hating that a Laurel school is having success since it's their primary recruiting trail
Blitzer Wrote:You realize that was just 3a in that district voted on that, player of the year award.. Those kids are both good, but playing 3a & 5a is a bit different competition too, you have to take that into consideration. NL's DL one of the best in the state a lot of us thought. NL Mcwhorter, also one of the best blockers a lot of us have ever seen in this area ever. Hard to replace a player like him.

Tight End Wrote:These teams play who they play, they have to play their district games, this has been beat to death on here. NL more than proved their worth, they beat SW and played Pulaski defending state champs right down to the wire the end of the season. They were a GOOD team and had good PLAYERS, they have made enough of an impact, all the 'HATERS' in the area have come out in full force. Too bad people can't just be happy for a team - that has done well and had overall individual success, but they have to be jealous because they did well. Amazing to me it is that way, but it sure is!
:

One makes one claim and the other completely opposite. North was better than Good they were very good. I'm not hating I've only stated facts as usual...
HG_Bullfrogs Wrote:Must have short memory of Corbin's pitiful schedule for years in the past or even must be hating that a Laurel school is having success since it's their primary recruiting trail

Laurel was part of that pitiful schedule Corbin played. This is about this season, stay on topic.
I have stayed and talked politely throughout whole thread then haddixhounds brings back up schedule so I respond then get a scolding?

oops.you forgot passing yards and supporting cast. you also forgot yards per carry and per pass attempt.Luke Woods is without a doubt Player Of The Year and the majority of non-biased voters would vote for him.
HG_Bullfrogs Wrote:Must have short memory of Corbin's pitiful schedule for years in the past or even must be hating that a Laurel school is having success since it's their primary recruiting trail

The knock on Corbin used to be that they had a weak district. Not a weak schedule. There is literally no teams who are any good at all on north's schedule until the 9th week in the season. Montgomery county isn't very good either but they beat north. The power-I always looks good when you're playing teams with less talent than you. On another note it is funny how no one can appreciate when a team is doing good. We at Corbin have been dealing with it for many years. Everyone always had some kind of knock on us. And by the way that 3a district that Harley lambert won player of the year in had two teams that would have won north's district. As well as the fastest running back in the region regardless of class. But north did score 45 points a game against a bunch of jv teams. So I guess watered down stats are all that matters to les when it's his team who gets awards. Corbin will continue to get transfers from laurel county. Not because they recruit but because they offer the best chance to play for a state title, especially going forward.