Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Private Schools have taken over... A look at State Titles so far this school year
mysonis55 Wrote:Got to love the attitude of the people who think their crap don't stink because they can afford to send their kids to private schools. Real winners or is is weiners?

As I said, those who can do and those who can't populate the government schools. You appear to be displaying a bit of jealousy. Ejoy your wiener with goodly splash of yellow mustard.
fbfan4life Wrote:perhaps parents send their kids to private schools not for athletics or better education. Just maybe because the issues they encounter in the hallways, maybe because it's a 15-20 to 1 student to teacher ration, instead of 30-40 to 1. Maybe because some schools frown upon the teaching of religion, saying prayers out loud or the mere saying of " bless you " when someone sneeze. I cant's speak for some of the county schools, but for louisville, fayette co, cincy area where the schools are bulging out the seems with 2,100- 2,500 student body. There's just not enough instructional to go around with students. Iam4thecats... You use to work in the system. Am i right with some of the situation i just mentioned? Oh and yeah, there are no academics or athletic scholarship... It's called financial aid. Everyone pays, some more or less than others, but definitely no.

100%
Truth Wrote:As I said, those who can do and those who can't populate the government schools. You appear to be displaying a bit of jealousy. Ejoy your wiener with goodly splash of yellow mustard.
This statement is not true at all. In areas where public schools are very bad and good private schools are available, then certainly parents who care about their kids' education and can afford private school tuition send their children to private schools. Something that people who have your condescending attitude toward public schools really do not understand is that within most large public schools, the upper echelon of students receive an excellent education.

The problem with most public schools is that they fail to properly educate the majority, or at least a sizable minority of their students. There is little or no difference in the academic achievement and potential of students graduating near the top of their class, whether they have attended a private or a public high school. Private schools generally excel at educating children that are not academically gifted and that is where public schools often fail.

This country is full of shining examples of very well educated people who attended public schools - many of whom attended some of the worst public schools in the country. Dr. Ben Carson is a product of the Detroit public school system. Dr. Thomas Sowell emerged from the public schools of Harlem.

Here in northern Virginia, the best academic schools are public schools and most people who send their children to private schools do so for religious reasons.

I am a frequent critic of the public school systems in this country but it is hard to believe that there are people who feel superior simply because they attended a private high school.
Children who are not academically gifted don't usually attend private schools. It is easy to preach to the choir.
FBfan4life Wrote:True and maybe just 1, maybe 2 out of those you mention will win the state championship. If you all must know which one I pick... Trinity and Desale.
6% of the schools will win 33% of the state championships. This is disproportionate. This is also not an anomaly. Thanks for making my point.
E's Army Wrote:Children who are not academically gifted don't usually attend private schools. It is easy to preach to the choir.
Sure they do and generally speaking, private schools do a better job of educating them than public schools do. However, that is still no excuse to use a broad brush to paint those of us who attended "government schools" as under educated.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Sure they do and generally speaking, private schools do a better job of educating them than public schools do. However, that is still no excuse to use a broad brush to paint those of us who attended "government schools" as under educated.

I'll slightly disagree with the above comment. Just because I know that if.. for example a special- ed student ie. learning disability or read and write below his or her grade level. The public system does provide the government help by hiring extra PARA- EDUCATORS, one on one, going to classes with that student(s) and to guide them with the students needs. Where as in the private system, they don't have or very limited to the resources. If a teacher or educator is on this thread, please advise me if I am wrong or some what correct. @Iam4thecats????
FBfan4life Wrote:I'll slightly disagree with the above comment. Just because I know that if.. for example a special- ed student ie. learning disability or read and write below his or her grade level. The public system does provide the government help by hiring extra PARA- EDUCATORS, one on one, going to classes with that student(s) and to guide them with the students needs. Where as in the private system, they don't have or very limited to the resources. If a teacher or educator is on this thread, please advise me if I am wrong or some what correct. @Iam4thecats????

Depends on the school. Trinity for example has a program we would consider special ed with a different name. St.x won't even let them in school. LCA and Lex Cath in Fayette have different policies as well.
FBfan4life Wrote:I'll slightly disagree with the above comment. Just because I know that if.. for example a special- ed student ie. learning disability or read and write below his or her grade level. The public system does provide the government help by hiring extra PARA- EDUCATORS, one on one, going to classes with that student(s) and to guide them with the students needs. Where as in the private system, they don't have or very limited to the resources. If a teacher or educator is on this thread, please advise me if I am wrong or some what correct. @Iam4thecats????
My point is that at many public high schools, it is not uncommon for functionally illiterate students of average intelligence to get a diploma. It is also not uncommon for the same public high school to produce National Merit Finalists.

Private schools generally do a better job educating students who are poorly motivated and/or lacking proper parental supervision (as do small, independent schools). In my previous posts, I was not referring to students with genuine special needs because of low IQs or severe learning disabilities.

Private schools do more with fewer resources, but public schools produce their share of outstanding students who are prepared to excel in college and careers.

I don't like to see people unfairly disparage public or private schools or their students and graduates. Kentucky does not have enough private schools of comparable size to put them into a class of their own. It is ridiculous for people to suggest such a system.
^^ Agree ^^
Tennessee does it, they have very few private schools but they do it. I say all public schools roll out of the khsaa and let the private schools fund the khsaa I would say 99% of the people who are employed there would not have a job because their salaries would not be anything cause the private schools will have to foot that bill. Divide up that gate money that Trinity and X get to pay khsaa salaries. Where do any of you think that the money to fund the khsaa comes from. 95% of it out of the pockets of public school people!!!! Go to the Sweet 16 and see how many Trinity or Cov cath have there, maybe 300 people. Go to the football state championships and see, its not even close.
Who gives a crap about the private schools? I don't, and I am sure that 99% of public school people feel the same way. Who cares if they don't have enough to split, I care about those poor kids in 6A football in the public schools that have won 2 or maybe 3 state titles the last 30 some years!!!!!!!!!
And those same parents that send their kids to a private school to get a sub-called better education will also send their child to a public university. So the kids they didn't want their kids around will be educated in high school will be with them at the public unversity level. Send them to a private school for a better education, what a joke. If that's the case send them to private colleges as well. A kid no matter what (public or private high school) will advance themselves academically. A lot of public educated kids become world leaders. If you want to send your child to a privste high school because it's so bad then do it at the next level as well
The Eagle has landed Wrote:Tennessee does it, they have very few private schools but they do it. I say all public schools roll out of the khsaa and let the private schools fund the khsaa I would say 99% of the people who are employed there would not have a job because their salaries would not be anything cause the private schools will have to foot that bill. Divide up that gate money that Trinity and X get to pay khsaa salaries. Where do any of you think that the money to fund the khsaa comes from. 95% of it out of the pockets of public school people!!!! Go to the Sweet 16 and see how many Trinity or Cov cath have there, maybe 300 people. Go to the football state championships and see, its not even close.
The fact that Tennessee chooses to persecute private schools does not make it right.

The parents of students who attend private schools who own property, pay the same amount of taxes to support public schools as they would if their children attended the public school. If you have a private school within your local school district and children that attend a public school, then the cost of their education is being partially subsidized by the parents of the private school parents.

If you want to talk about fairness, what is fair about parents who pay for their own children's education also footing the bill for your children's education?

This debate is not about fairness. It is about petty jealousy. If you exclude some of the best teams in the state from the playoffs, then you cheapen the championships and send the message to public school players that they are not good enough to compete with the private schools.
LCC Wrote:And those same parents that send their kids to a private school to get a sub-called better education will also send their child to a public university. So the kids they didn't want their kids around will be educated in high school will be with them at the public unversity level. Send them to a private school for a better education, what a joke. If that's the case send them to private colleges as well. A kid no matter what (public or private high school) will advance themselves academically. A lot of public educated kids become world leaders. If you want to send your child to a privste high school because it's so bad then do it at the next level as well
What business is it of your's or mine where a parent wants to send their children to school? I believe in competition. Apparently many Kentuckians do not.

Kentucky residents are all subject to the same taxes and laws. It is no skin off anybody's nose if a parent wants to home school or send their kids to a private school one year and to a public school the next year or to a state university. They have the same obligation to support government schools as you do and they have the same right to access those schools if and when they choose to exercise that right.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:What business is it of your's or mine where a parent wants to send their children to school? I believe in competition. Apparently many Kentuckians do not.

Kentucky residents are all subject to the same taxes and laws. It is no skin off anybody's nose if a parent wants to home school or send their kids to a private school one year and to a public school the next year or to a state university. They have the same obligation to support government schools as you do and they have the same right to access those schools if and when they choose to exercise that right.

What bussines is it of yours to down kids you don't know or don't want other kids to be around? As far as skin off anyone's noses, go skin it and stop crying. I can hear it now "I hate private schools so with the unversity of tennesse overnight my child a full ride I will not except because I hate public school kids. Give me a break.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:What business is it of your's or mine where a parent wants to send their children to school? I believe in competition. Apparently many Kentuckians do not.

What bussines is it of yours to down kids you don't know or don't want other kids to be around? As far as skin off anyone's noses, go skin it and stop crying. I can hear it now "I hate private schools so with the unversity of tennesse overnight my child a full ride I will not except because I hate public school kids. Give me a break.
LCC Wrote:What bussines is it of yours to down kids you don't know or don't want other kids to be around? As far as skin off anyone's noses, go skin it and stop crying. I can hear it now "I hate private schools so with the unversity of tennesse overnight my child a full ride I will not except because I hate public school kids. Give me a break.
Hey, genius, before you extol the virtues of a public school education, maybe you should spell check your posts (a grammar check is also indicated). I, along with all of my children attended public schools but none of us were ever so intimidated by private school competition that we would ever have dodged private school competition - either academically or in sports. The only people in this debate who are downing kids are the ones who believe private school teams are too good for their own kids' teams to play.
I can hear it again. Omg my child has to attend a public high school with those stupid kids and I pay taxes. Cry cry cry. I will send my child to a private high school so they can get a better education not around stupid kids. I pay taxes and hate it. My child becomes one of the best high school football players in the nation and all the public university like UK and UT are after him. I will let him play at UT and set in the same rooms with kids I didn't like while he was in high school. Wow
LCC Wrote:I can hear it again. Omg my child has to attend a public high school with those stupid kids and I pay taxes. Cry cry cry. I will send my child to a private high school so they can get a better education not around stupid kids. I pay taxes and hate it. My child becomes one of the best high school football players in the nation and all the public university like UK and UT are after him. I will let him play at UT and set in the same rooms with kids I didn't like while he was in high school. Wow
Wow...that pretty much says it all. :thatsfunn
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Hey, genius, before you extol the virtues of a public school education, maybe you should spell check your posts (a grammar check is also indicated). I, along with all of my children attended public schools but none of us were ever so intimidated by private school competition that we would ever have dodged private school competition - either academically or in sports. The only people in this debate who are downing kids are the ones who believe private school teams are too good for their own kids' teams to play.

What a great defense and comeback, spellcheck. Hahahaha
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Wow...that pretty much says it all. :thatsfunn

Says what? Spell it out for people that are not privately educated?
LCC Wrote:What a great defense and comeback, spellcheck. Hahahaha
Thanks and you are most welcome. Proper spelling and grammar are especially important when you are trying to make the case that your own education was as good as any stinkin' private school education. If it was good enough for you, then it should be good enough for everybody else. The only reason private schools exist is to make their students to feel superior to guys like you. Am I right or am I right? It's just not fair to allow those guys to compete on the same field as public school kids, is it? Confusednicker:
LCC Wrote:Says what? Spell it out for people that are not privately educated?
It means when you are arguing with somebody who is making your case for you, don't pile on.
Hey Hoot check yourself brother, My father had a Phd from one of the most highly respected university in this great nation and he asked my mother all the time how to spell stuff. Private schools in this state have a monopoly on state titles here and it isn't fair. I had a good friend with a very good team about 10 years ago that played Trinity in the 3rd round of the playoffs and got their first 1st down midway through the 3rd quarter. Trinity has played in state title games where they had a RUNNING CLOCK! A running clock in the state title game. And you think that is fair.They HAVE KIDS ON THIER TEAM FROM ANOTHER STATE DUDE, you really think that is fair that they play for the KENTUCKY STATE CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!
The Eagle has landed Wrote:Hey Hoot check yourself brother, My father had a Phd from one of the most highly respected university in this great nation and he asked my mother all the time how to spell stuff. Private schools in this state have a monopoly on state titles here and it isn't fair. I had a good friend with a very good team about 10 years ago that played Trinity in the 3rd round of the playoffs and got their first 1st down midway through the 3rd quarter. Trinity has played in state title games where they had a RUNNING CLOCK! A running clock in the state title game. And you think that is fair.They HAVE KIDS ON THIER TEAM FROM ANOTHER STATE DUDE, you really think that is fair that they play for the KENTUCKY STATE CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!
But it's all about getting a better education. Lol
If you want to send your kid to private school go right ahead I don't care. But they have kids on that team from the inter city that no way shape or form can they afford it so tell me who pays for their school? Oh I know one of the catholic churches felt so sorry for little Bobby who just happens to be 6'5 290. I would bet the kitchen sink they don't go through the inter city paying for a 5'5 115 pounder that cant run fast.
The Eagle has landed Wrote:If you want to send your kid to private school go right ahead I don't care. But they have kids on that team from the inter city that no way shape or form can they afford it so tell me who pays for their school? Oh I know one of the catholic churches felt so sorry for little Bobby who just happens to be 6'5 290. I would bet the kitchen sink they don't go through the inter city paying for a 5'5 115 pounder that cant run fast.

You do know that all kids are Catholic that attend catholic schools. Just playing. They are only Catholic to get a better record in high school
The Eagle has landed Wrote:If you want to send your kid to private school go right ahead I don't care. But they have kids on that team from the inter city that no way shape or form can they afford it so tell me who pays for their school? Oh I know one of the catholic churches felt so sorry for little Bobby who just happens to be 6'5 290. I would bet the kitchen sink they don't go through the inter city paying for a 5'5 115 pounder that cant run fast.

You do know that all kids are Catholic that attend catholic schools. Just playing. They are only Catholic to get a better record in high school. The kid that is 5'5 and only 115 is not a private schooled kid only the athletic kid is.
The Eagle has landed Wrote:Hey Hoot check yourself brother, My father had a Phd from one of the most highly respected university in this great nation and he asked my mother all the time how to spell stuff. Private schools in this state have a monopoly on state titles here and it isn't fair. I had a good friend with a very good team about 10 years ago that played Trinity in the 3rd round of the playoffs and got their first 1st down midway through the 3rd quarter. Trinity has played in state title games where they had a RUNNING CLOCK! A running clock in the state title game. And you think that is fair.They HAVE KIDS ON THIER TEAM FROM ANOTHER STATE DUDE, you really think that is fair that they play for the KENTUCKY STATE CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!
The top-ranked team in 6A is a public school that already owns a convincing win over Trinity this season. If Trinity wins the title this season, it will be an upset. How many consecutive 4A titles did Highlands (a public school) win and how long has it been since a private school won the title? (answer: Covington Catholic, 2006)? Trinity's biggest advantage is its large enrollment. The largest schools in Indiana's Class 6A are public and public schools dominate Indiana 6A playoffs.

Obviously, private schools in Kentucky have no monopoly on state football titles. The favorites in 1A (Beechwood and Paintsville), 3A (Belfry and Central), 4A (South Warren and Johnson Central), and 5A (Bowling Green and Pulaski County) are all public schools and public schools have a better than 50/50 chance of winning 2A and 6A. That is far from a monopoly by anybody's definition.

As for spelling, we have computers to check spelling. Normally typos are no big deal (especially if you are posting from a mobile device) but if you are debating the quality of education between public and private schools, it is just common sense to take a little extra time to check your posts, whether you attended private or public schools.