Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelby Valley 125 David 28
I don't care what anyone says. That is a shame! Valley didn't have to run the score up like that. They did the same thing last year and took a beating for it. Looks like they would have learned thier lesson. Guess NOT! NO EXCUSES! The coach for SV should have slowed things down when he got up by 30. Start working the ball around and stall or put a pass limit on your team. If David cuts it to 20, then score it back to a 30 point lead and go back into your pass limit offense. Things like this makes me sick. I hope that the first team that ever gets the chance to do this to SV just drops the hammer on them and then tells the coach that "This is for David!". Good win SV, way to show sportsmanship and class, two years in a row! You should be proud!
HazzBeen Wrote:First of all, Valley played their younger kids the whole game against David so you can't tell them not to score when they are in the game. Second of all, BBallonly fan you act like we are going into march by the way you are talking. These kids have played 5 ball games. The schedule does get tougher for Valley, and say what you want a 3-3 team in the 11th region is better than an undefeated team in the 15th. They play tougher competetion. I got an idea you and redneck go start a Pikeville thread and post on it. I am so sick and tired of you guys talking about Valley's schedule. They had to play this game and yes it might hurt them when they face some competition but it didn't hurt them against Shawnee. I know you will say Shawnee is terrible but tell me the last time a 15th region team beat a Louisville team. We have argued on three different threads now Bball fan on Valley's schedule. Get over it and worry about Pikeville.

Paintsville beat Louisville Seneca in the Semi Finals of The Hoops Classic Last season. And I know what your reply will be. SV beat PHS last year! BIG woop. That wasn't the question though!
Well it doesn't happen much. Well I don't know about you but I think when the young kids get a chance to play (which doesn't happen much in the regular season) they should be able to play. "Johnny I know you have not been in the game much but I just want you to pass it around to your teammates the whole quarter." Come on brother. Everyone beats David like this. It usually is just about 70 though. What is the difference. They are humiliated both ways. You act like SV is the only team that has beaten David like that. Last year East Ridge 96-12 over David, June Buchanan 113-34 over David, Rose Hill 95-15 over David, Buckhorn 84-19 over David. The list goes on and on.
HazzBeen Wrote:Well it doesn't happen much. Well I don't know about you but I think when the young kids get a chance to play (which doesn't happen much in the regular season) they should be able to play. "Johnny I know you have not been in the game much but I just want you to pass it around to your teammates the whole quarter." Come on brother. Everyone beats David like this. It usually is just about 70 though. What is the difference. They are humiliated both ways. You act like SV is the only team that has beaten David like that. Last year East Ridge 96-12 over David, June Buchanan 113-34 over David, Rose Hill 95-15 over David, Buckhorn 84-19 over David. The list goes on and on.

Not everyone Brother:

Nov 29, '05 Oneida Baptist 41- 82(L)
Dec 10, '05 Rose Hill Christian 41- 82(L)
Dec 13, '05 Phelps 27- 86(L)
Dec 29, '05 Rose Hill 39- 81(L)
Dec 30, '05 Rose Hill 32- 76(L)
Jan 3, '06 Betsy Layne 25- 75(L)
Jan 12, '06 Red Bird 30- 98(L)
Jan 17, '06 Pikeville 27- 81(L)
Jan 21, '06 Allen Central 34- 87(L)
Jan 24, '06 East Ridge 22- 71(L)
Feb 16, '06 Oneida Baptist Institute 38- 83(L)

Not everyone tries to put up 100 on them. At some point the coach needs to put a handle on it. And YES you do tell your kids to not shoot. You put in a pass limit to help kill the clock. I am sorry there is just no excuse. And you mentioned Rose Hill. The next two times they played them. At least Rose Hill show a little class.
Everyone needs to take a deep breath.
Let's stay on topic and avoid posts back and forth at each other or the thread will be closed.
You just put up scores that were 40, 50, and 60 point blowouts. So you are saying these teams are classy because they just beat them 60. Those are humilating too. I will stop now, but my point is this team (David) is too bad to not blowout. If you know Jason Booher than you know he is a class act person and he would never try to make another team look bad.
I'm just curious who led SV in scoring?There is really nothing you can do when playing such a weak team.I agree 97 pts. is alot,but what is a coach to do? You very well can't tell your kids to not play.I guess SV could have held the ball and not try to score,but IMO that would be more insulting than scoring!
Was Valley running the break in the last 2 or 3 minutes? Did they talk among themselves about beating them by 100?
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
Wow, Craigman County, Va, OBI and David. That is one sure way to make your record look good early. 97 points is unexcusable. Did Valley play a zone the whole ballgame? Did they press at all? That is the questions that I would like answered. If Valley played anything but a zone in this game it is flat out a run up score, and if they pressed the first possession then that was their intentions the whole way.
Valley ran a full court press the whole first quater they had 43 points in the first quarter the other 3 quarters they ran a half court trap which thats were all their points came from they pushed the ball the whole game. I'm not really impressed by valleys defense because david didn't score that much less than they usually do. They knew they was gonna try to blow them out right from the start. Why start out in a press if you know you you're gonna win by a great margin????????? I think valley just wants to be known as a dominant team and figured that they would try to beat david the worst that they have ever been beaten. Mcmenifea co. beat david just as bad as valley they didn't have to press or run a 3 man trap at half court. I'd love to watch valley go up against mcmenifea co and see if their dominant or not
Unbiased Wrote:Wow, Craigman County, Va, OBI and David. That is one sure way to make your record look good early. 97 points is unexcusable. Did Valley play a zone the whole ballgame? Did they press at all? That is the questions that I would like answered. If Valley played anything but a zone in this game it is flat out a run up score, and if they pressed the first possession then that was their intentions the whole way.

They have to work on their press sometime and although David was very bad they still had to work on it for future games. I know Coach Booher personally and know that he did not try to beat them as bad as he could. He just let his kids play like most coach's do. Quit speculating on stuff that you do not know to be true.
HazzBeen Wrote:You just put up scores that were 40, 50, and 60 point blowouts. So you are saying these teams are classy because they just beat them 60. Those are humilating too. I will stop now, but my point is this team (David) is too bad to not blowout. If you know Jason Booher than you know he is a class act person and he would never try to make another team look bad.

I only put one up there over 60. NOT NEAR 97! The point is if they ran off 43 in the first and was that dominating. Why come out of the zone? Full court pressure and trapping is just uncalled for. The other point I was trying to make was David's scores. From the way it looks the other teams were in a zone and allowing them to shoot outside and get some points. Not saying that is how they scored all they're points. Another point was. These guys didn't try to bust a 100 on them let alone 120 to 130. Yes those scores may be humiliating. But, those teams didn't try and humiliate them the worst of all. Still no excuse. I'm done. :thumpsup:
OffTheHook Wrote:I only put one up there over 60. NOT NEAR 97! The point is if they ran off 43 in the first and was that dominating. Why come out of the zone? Full court pressure and trapping is just uncalled for. The other point I was trying to make was David's scores. From the way it looks the other teams were in a zone and allowing them to shoot outside and get some points. Not saying that is how they scored all they're points. Another point was. These guys didn't try to bust a 100 on them let alone 120 to 130. Yes those scores may be humiliating. But, those teams didn't try and humiliate them the worst of all. Still no excuse. I'm done. :thumpsup:

Excellent post.:Clap:
I can't see how anyone who loves the game of basketball, and good sportsmanship can do this. Even if you are the dominant team, it would be so easy to keep it respectable. Work on certain aspects of your game. Such as truning your offense over several times, or even all of your zone defense. Discipline your players to stay in it and force them to get better. I just don't see how this is good for either team involved, but more valley than david!!
the refs should of just called the game at halftime to save David the shame
alfus21 Wrote:Funny thing you posted that considering I just checked Pikeville's schedule and without looking at the tournament teams only 5 teams left on their schedule have a winning record to date. How ironic :popcorn:

You are right, that is ironic. Why don't you answer this question Alfus, I have asked you this two or three times so far and you never answer. If Pikeville's opponents and Shelby Valleys opponents have teams scheduled that has 5 winning records. Did Pikeville which is usually one of the bottom teams in the region schedule up to Shelby Valleys schedule which is usually one of the top 3 teams in the region? Or did the regional powerhouse Shelby Valley schedule their season like Pikeville which isn't usually considered a top tier team?
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
Only one other thing about this score. In Connecticut football, if a team beats another team by 50 or more points, the winning coach gets in trouble and the coach gets suspended for a game or two. If that was the case here in Kentucky, do you think that the score would have been like this?
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:You are right, that is ironic. Why don't you answer this question Alfus, I have asked you this two or three times so far and you never answer. If Pikeville's opponents and Shelby Valleys opponents have teams scheduled that has 5 winning records. Did Pikeville which is usually one of the bottom teams in the region schedule up to Shelby Valleys schedule which is usually one of the top 3 teams in the region? Or did the regional powerhouse Shelby Valley schedule their season like Pikeville which isn't usually considered a top tier team?

I can't believe you're using the sympathy plea here with Pikeville not being a top tier team over the last few years.

They are the defending champions of the 59th, and as you have said many times only lost to the region champ by 3 last year.

The past means absolutely nothing. This season is this season. Not 3-5 years ago. It has nothing to do with that.

I honestly think Pikeville's schedule is much weaker than Shelby Valley's. Not so far of course, but from here on out there is no contest.

As for your 5 winning record argument. Some teams are 2-3 and some are 1-2. I'd make it a safe bet that some of these teams records will change by the end of the season wouldn't you?

I'm done arguing about the schedule. Have fun watching the PIT this weekend while Pikeville battles winless Wolfe County and Jenkins. Don't be looking ahead though to the Piarist game or you might have some trouble. Smile

We'll see how important the scheduling between the two has been when they meet up in January.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:Only one other thing about this score. In Connecticut football, if a team beats another team by 50 or more points, the winning coach gets in trouble and the coach gets suspended for a game or two. If that was the case here in Kentucky, do you think that the score would have been like this?

No, but that rule is pretty ridiculous anyways in my opinion. Maybe that's why it's only a rule in 1 state out of 50.

It'd be something if these were little leaguers or something but they're in high school. I'd say they can handle getting beat by this time and age.

It's just my opinion that not scoring or taking it easy on defense is more embarrassing than getting beat this bad. At least this way the players don't feel like people are having sympathy for them. That would be a lot more embarassing to me if I knew the opposing team was taking it easy on us just because my team isn't as good. Treat them like any other team, and not like little kids.
You know the fact is that David is just that bad. They don't have enough kids to compete and something should be done about them having to play in KHSAA play. I think they should play in the conference with Piarist, Red Bird, and Riverside and then schedule other small schools from across the state. As far as the score goes, when you put in young kids in a varsity game they want to score, its hard to tell young kids not to put the ball in the basket. SV is the best team David has played, do you think OBI took it easy on them I mean seriously Piarist beat them by more than 20...
At the same time I would hold the ball before I beat someone that bad. I think you could probably beat them 70 without trying but you just can't beat someone 97 points and feel good about it.
HazzBeen Wrote:[/b]

They have to work on their press sometime and although David was very bad they still had to work on it for future games. I know Coach Booher personally and know that he did not try to beat them as bad as he could. He just let his kids play like most coach's do. Quit speculating on stuff that you do not know to be true.

When working on your press wouldn't it be better to use it in a team that can dribble so you know if it's really effective or not?
i personally would not have started the first 5. But could that have been degrading to david? These are varsity games. Let the kids play. Kudos to david. Those kids must really love the game to get killed night after night.
No way you should ever press David, that is how a score gets out of hand, the best thing to do is to send your JV or your Freshman team. The score wouldn't get out of hand and the starters wouldn't be playing so it wouldn't hurt there averages.
HazzBeen Wrote:First of all, Valley played their younger kids the whole game against David

I thought Shelby Valley played the "younger" kids every game, isn't most of the starting line-up freshmen and soph's.
Yes it is, but you know that varsity starters aren't on the JV and Freshman teams. The starters played very little in this game. I don't think they should have played at all.
Larry Legend Wrote:Yes it is, but you know that varsity starters aren't on the JV and Freshman teams. The starters played very little in this game. I don't think they should have played at all.

We all had this same debate last year after Valley embarassed the hell out of David. Everyone said the starters and regulars shouldn't have even played. So before the 2nd meeting everyone said the starters and regulars shouldn't play because the middle school teams could beat David. Same result in the second meeting, Valley embarassed the hell out of them. SO, after Valley beat David by 97 points with the "young guns" playing most of the game, will Booher risk injury to ANY of his regulars KNOWING that his JV/Freshman team can beat David by 50+ points? That's the big question here, we will see how much "class" Booher really has the second time around.
I just know what I would do, I can't speak for the coach, but I think that some type of different approach should be taken.
Redneck Wrote:We all had this same debate last year after Valley embarassed the hell out of David. Everyone said the starters and regulars shouldn't have even played. So before the 2nd meeting everyone said the starters and regulars shouldn't play because the middle school teams could beat David. Same result in the second meeting, Valley embarassed the hell out of them. SO, after Valley beat David by 97 points with the "young guns" playing most of the game, will Booher risk injury to ANY of his regulars KNOWING that his JV/Freshman team can beat David by 50+ points? That's the big question here, we will see how much "class" Booher really has the second time around.

Booher doesn't have any class..he doesn't care who he plays or by how much he wins...I have a source, of who i quote, Booher told this person, "You're right, all I care about is getting the W".
ComeFlyWithMe Wrote:Booher doesn't have any class..he doesn't care who he plays or by how much he wins...I have a source, of who i quote, Booher told this person, "You're right, all I care about is getting the W".
Thats a great quote...
I have a friend whose sister has a source of who she quotes..."I have been abducted by aliens, and they all look like George W. Bush"