Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the best defense in 1a even better this year?
E's Army Wrote:Southhaven was picked 6th in an 8 team region by a site dedicated to Ms. football. Maybe somebody is exaggerating how good they are to make a point.

Southaven only has 6 games left, and hasnt lost to a team in ms yet. They won a conference game last week, so they would have to lose all of the 6 remaining games to come in 7th, would you like to bet on them losing all of the remaining 6, cause ill sure lay my money on southaven getting just one more win.
My head is starting to hurt from all this nonsense.
Williamsburg has one of the best defensive teams in the state bar none.
topnotch Wrote:Williamsburg has one of the best defensive teams in the state bar none.

are they full strength yet?
topnotch Wrote:Williamsburg has one of the best defensive teams in the state bar none.

They do have a solid defense. They held Newport to 70+ yards less than their normal average for total yards. Newport normally is around 250 average running the ball and they held them to well under 200. I think their one of the better defenses in 1A definitely.
baseball1974 Wrote:They do have a solid defense. They held Newport to 70+ yards less than their normal average for total yards. Newport normally is around 250 average running the ball and they held them to well under 200. I think their one of the better defenses in 1A definitely.

Newport rushed for 172 yards in their game vs. Williamsburg.

http://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/kh...44241_2108

Williamsburg is giving up:

16.4 pts per game

Have to take your word on the defense vs the run because so many of the games on KHSAA don't have those stats turned in by Williamsburg or their opponents.
Hatz Wrote:Newport rushed for 172 yards in their game vs. Williamsburg.

16.4 pts per game

Have to take your word on the defense vs the run because so many of the games on KHSAA don't have those stats turned in by Williamsburg or their opponents.

You're right, 172 yards. That's why I said well under 200 yards. If you go their opponents schedule their opponents post their stats for each game. Their not on the Williamsburg schedule for some reason but you can go to their opponents scheduleamd see.
Hatz Wrote:Newport rushed for 172 yards in their game vs. Williamsburg.

16.4 pts per game

I'm not sure what you're trying to say?

Newport has an average of around 350 yards of total offense per game. Williamsburg held them to 281 yards of total offense, which is around 70 yards less than their average. Which is what I said?
baseball1974 Wrote:I'm not sure what you're trying to say?

Newport has an average of around 350 yards of total offense per game. Williamsburg held them to 281 yards of total offense, which is around 70 yards less of their average.

Not trying to say anything. Just citing the stats that are present.

They are currently ranked #5 in Class A for points allowed.

As to looking up the stats from the other teams, well, they don't put their rushing numbers up either on the site.

I would think that Williamsburg would be one of the better run defenses in Class A based on stats but there aren't any listed for most of the teams they played and is why they aren't listed in the Top 15 ranking I guess.

http://khsaa.org/football/2014/stats1.htm
Hatz Wrote:Not trying to say anything. Just citing the stats that are present.

They are currently ranked #5 in Class A for points allowed.

As to looking up the stats from the other teams, well, they don't put their rushing numbers up either on the site.

I would think that Williamsburg would be one of the better run defenses in Class A based on stats but there aren't any listed for most of the teams they played and is why they aren't listed in the Top 15 ranking I guess.

http://khsaa.org/football/2014/stats1.htm

South Laurel and Pike Central are the only two on Williamsburg's schedule that doesn't have their stats up. They don't show up under "points allowed" on Williamsburg's scoreboard site, but if you go to each team's individual scoreboard site they have them listed.
baseball1974 Wrote:Paducah Tilghman is an average 2-4 team. Also, Southhaven, Mississippi is not rated nor have they been in 6A this season. There are three or four schools in that county and none of them are ranked in the top 10. I'd be careful throwing "stupid" around until you know what you're talking about.

Southaven most certainly was ranked #11 in the state, #4 in 6a and were ranked in the 200 range nationally. Obviously you want someone to give you some cred, but, saying they weren't ranked that at all this season is wrong, pure and simple. I have no idea if they're ranked now after the McCracken loss and they may have even lost another since, not sure, but, going into the game with McCracken they were 3-0 and ranked exactly where was stated, so, if if you want some cred, don't call someone out when you don't have any facts to back it, because I do..
64SUR Wrote:Caldwell don't play defense just offense. :Cheerlead

You got that right, but, that offense is as potent as any in the state. They can afford to give up 40 a game, because not too many teams are going to hold them under 50.. great QB, 2 great RBs, 2 great WRs and a solid OL.. IMO, there offense is good enough to win state, but, they'll need to hope for dry conditions thruout the playoffs, because a wet, nasty field, doesn't suit there style of play..
Southaven's moved down to 14th in the state overall now after the loss to McCracken, but, still sit at 4-1 and would likely be a Top 10 team in Kentucky..

MS High School Football Rankings
•Rankings updated: Tuesday, Last update: 9/30/14.
• Learn more about the rankings.

MS Only ×

#

School

Rec.

Dist Rec.

Rating

Str.

+/-

Starkville
5-0 1-0 74.9 45.4 --
South Panola (Batesville)
5-0 1-0 67.7 39.3 --
Oak Grove (Hattiesburg)
4-0 1-0 60.3 38.8 --
Wayne County (Waynesboro)
4-1 1-0 57.8 38.6 +1
Oxford
4-1 1-0 57.3 40.5 +2
Picayune
4-0 1-0 54.5 34.9 -2
Petal
4-1 1-0 54.4 42.8 -1
Tupelo
5-0 1-0 52.1 23 +1
Brandon
4-1 1-0 52 35.3 +1
Clinton
4-1 1-0 51 37.7 +3
West Point
3-3 0-1 50 52 --
Madison Central (Madison)
3-2 0-1 49.1 47 -4
Warren Central (Vicksburg)
5-0 1-0 47.1 18.7 -1
Southaven
4-1 1-0 46.3 32.3 +2
Noxubee County (Macon)
4-2 0-0 46.3 37.3 --
Meridian
3-2 1-0 46.1 36.8 -2
Hattiesburg
2-3 1-0 45.7 49 +1
New Hope (Columbus)
5-0 1-0 40.9 20 +10
Laurel
4-1 1-0 40.1 24.9 +1
Grenada
5-1 1-0 40.1 24.6 +7
Murrah (Jackson)
6-0 1-0 40.1 12.2 -2
D'Iberville
4-2 1-0 39.9 28.6 +7
Calhoun City
6-0 0-0 39.7 14.3 +7
Ocean Springs
5-0 1-0 38.7 20 +1
Bassfield
5-1 0-0 38.6 17.7 +13
KYHSFBFan Wrote:Southaven most certainly was ranked #11 in the state, #4 in 6a and were ranked in the 200 range nationally. Obviously you want someone to give you some cred, but, saying they weren't ranked that at all this season is wrong, pure and simple. I have no idea if they're ranked now after the McCracken loss and they may have even lost another since, not sure, but, going into the game with McCracken they were 3-0 and ranked exactly where was stated, so, if if you want some cred, don't call someone out when you don't have any facts to back it, because I do..

Nobody ever produced the poll where that was the case? The only one I seen was the one you posted and the one on mississippigridiron.com as well as the one that gets sent to coaches through a PDF file. Those all had them #10, #11, and #14. The conversation has been over for a day or so now but if you can produce that poll where they are ranked #4 then I will happily have no problem saying I am wrong?
What does it matter? Really, they are a very loaded team period. I would assume that you can understand that there are many more 6a teams in Ms than in Ky. Not to mention they are supposed to be one of those southern states loaded with talent. The fact that they are in or even close to the top ten there speaks volumes. Let it go. We are having this big discussion about a ms team that a 6a school here played. It is doesn't warrant all of this.
KYHSFBFan Wrote:Southaven most certainly was ranked #11 in the state, #4 in 6a and were ranked in the 200 range nationally. Obviously you want someone to give you some cred, but, saying they weren't ranked that at all this season is wrong, pure and simple. I have no idea if they're ranked now after the McCracken loss and they may have even lost another since, not sure, but, going into the game with McCracken they were 3-0 and ranked exactly where was stated, so, if if you want some cred, don't call someone out when you don't have any facts to back it, because I do..

I really would like to put an end to this? Since you brought up again, here is a link to a site that will show you every AP poll that's been put out since the start of the season. This is mainly why I didn't understand where all the hype about them was coming from because not only are they not anywhere in the overall rankings or the 6A rankings, they didn't receive any votes for either as well. I'm sure they are a good team. No doubt. Just not what has been exaggerated.

http://www.wcbi.com/wordpress/sports/high-school-sports
Those polls are the ap polls. That is reporters. They only list the top 5 and a few others rec votes in each class. That isn't the only polls. You still refuse to accept the fact that I and EKU have shown you that they were ranked in both Calpreps and max preps.
According to MaxPreps, Southaven is ranked as the 406th best team in the nation. In comparison, Scott Co is 430 and St X is 484. That's the 2 closest in Ky I could come up with. Highlands is currently 142 and BGreen is 274, so, Southaven would likely be a Top 10 team in Ky..Scott Co at 430 was #7.. Prior to the game with McCracken, they were in the 250 range, can't remember exactly..
I think it was 258.
Good stats
KYHSFBFan Wrote:According to MaxPreps, Southaven is ranked as the 406th best team in the nation. In comparison, Scott Co is 430 and St X is 484. That's the 2 closest in Ky I could come up with. Highlands is currently 142 and BGreen is 274, so, Southaven would likely be a Top 10 team in Ky..Scott Co at 430 was #7.. Prior to the game with McCracken, they were in the 250 range, can't remember exactly..

That's not at all what you've both been claiming. Neither of you can produce a poll that says they were ever close to that #4 ranking. The whole discussion was you getting mad because somebody asked you to prove something you were claiming. I've showed you my proof that they never were. So hopefully its done?
Just ignore him. He is bound to go away some time.
mysonis55 Wrote:Just ignore him. He is bound to go away some time.

Why are you so bitter about being wrong? All I've done is praise Mayfield over and over and because you can't produce proof of something you made up, you then think its appropriate to say something negative or personal to distract everyone from seeing that neither of you have yet to produce proof about you said? I did. I showed you four different polls where they weren't ranked and I'm pretty sure the associated press are a tad bit more credible than a California based website that bases everything all records because they don't have the personnel to see teams from KY and Mississippi nor can they compare them. I don't even know what those rankings mean because three weeks ago their was 500+ spots between those teams on that same site? Regardless, I tried to end this and leave it alone but youre buddy decided to bring it up again and go personal. So I'll keep discrediting you both as long as you keep bringing it up. Unless you can produce a poll where their ranked #4 then I'd suggest dropping it?
Im going to try to remain respectful here, but its about to get on my last nerve as i feel my integrity is being questioned by baseball. Every week maxpreps updates there rankings, and i dont know if you can pull up old rankings what i do know is a couple days before southaven played mccracken they was num 4 in 6a, and 11 overall. The next ranking they dropped to 16 overall and im not sure what they dropped to in 6a. This was after the loss. Fast forward another week and they won again and are 14 overall and 10th in 6a. I havent looked at your rankings you have posted because i really dont care. If the rankings you have doesnt have them in top 5 i take your word for it. Im not saying that maxpreps is even accurate. What i do know is that paticular site had them at no 4 at one point, and i also know i dont like my integrity being questioned. Regardless they are currently ranked on par with scott county and they are a pretty dang good team. Are they the best in the mississippi no, but they are far from a punk team.
killbilly usmc Wrote:Im going to try to remain respectful here, but its about to get on my last nerve as i feel my integrity is being questioned by baseball. Every week maxpreps updates there rankings, and i dont know if you can pull up old rankings what i do know is a couple days before southaven played mccracken they was num 4 in 6a, and 11 overall. The next ranking they dropped to 16 overall and im not sure what they dropped to in 6a. This was after the loss. Fast forward another week and they won again and are 14 overall and 10th in 6a. I havent looked at your rankings you have posted because i really dont care. If the rankings you have doesnt have them in top 5 i take your word for it. Im not saying that maxpreps is even accurate. What i do know is that paticular site had them at no 4 at one point, and i also know i dont like my integrity being questioned. Regardless they are currently ranked on par with scott county and they are a pretty dang good team. Are they the best in the mississippi no, but they are far from a punk team.

I'm not saying anything about your integrity. I don't know you. I would never say something of judgement about somebody I don't know and I as well don't like when that is done to me, especially from people that do not know my background. This shouldn't have kept going but for some reason it kept getting brought up and unnecessary personal jabs thrown out here and there. If you say you saw that then okay, and all I originally wanted to know was where it came from and then it turned into something else. We can agree to disagree and drop it but every time I've tried to do that, something gets said like "stick with baseball" which is so stupid of a comment to make if you knew my background. I'm happy to drop it but questioning integrity goes both ways and I do apologize if you felt that way from something I said. Not my intention
One more thing baseball. No one has said a ap poll or any other poll had them at 4 in 6a. We are just saying maxpreps, and its just a computer system that somehow updates weekly. We are not talking some coaches poll that gets put in an article in a newspaper, that we can just say here it is in the courier journal. I would have no clue if there is a way to show what they were in that computer ranking 2 weeks ago. 3 or 4 people has stated we seen what they were ranked at that time you are wrong but wont admit it and just stirring the pot, since you know the poll you have wasnt that big on them. You know its not some article that can be posted to prove you wrong. If you are going to continue to call me a liar to try to be right we are soon going to not be very good friends. Like i have said ill not even attempt to try to get the rankings you have posted to pull up on this junk phone, because i believe you when you say those polls dont have them top 5 in 6a. Its a shame you dont have alittle more faith in all of us that remember this one. I aint even saying maxpreps is accurate, or even calpreps. I have 2 different state rankings in front of me for kentucky, and guess what they dont agree either exactly on there top tens either.
killbilly usmc Wrote:One more thing baseball. No one has said a ap poll or any other poll had them at 4 in 6a. We are just saying maxpreps, and its just a computer system that somehow updates weekly. We are not talking some coaches poll that gets put in an article in a newspaper, that we can just say here it is in the courier journal. I would have no clue if there is a way to show what they were in that computer ranking 2 weeks ago. 3 or 4 people has stated we seen what they were ranked at that time you are wrong but wont admit it and just stirring the pot, since you know the poll you have wasnt that big on them. You know its not some article that can be posted to prove you wrong. If you are going to continue to call me a liar to try to be right we are soon going to not be very good friends. Like i have said ill not even attempt to try to get the rankings you have posted to pull up on this junk phone, because i believe you when you say those polls dont have them top 5 in 6a. Its a shame you dont have alittle more faith in all of us that remember this one. I aint even saying maxpreps is accurate, or even calpreps. I have 2 different state rankings in front of me for kentucky, and guess what they dont agree either exactly on there top tens either.

Okay? The AP poll was just one of four that I posted but it doesn't matter. I believe you maxpreps had that listed. Can this be over now?
Yes its over for me. Since we are on the maxpreps subject did anyone else think mccracken, and mayfields rankings were comical after the mayfield loss. I seen the rankings before and after the game and had to laugh at the rankings change afterwards.
I don't understand in those rankings how you can lose to a team and still have a higher ranking than the team you lost to. Strength of schedule is a good indicator but, you can't overlook the more obvious head to head match up. Last year for instance we beat PT and they still had a higher Lit rating. not to mention we beat them on their field. This year Pikeville beat Belfry by two scores on their own field. Once again, Belfry has the better Lit rating. Overall, by the end of the year these ratings are pretty accurate but, somethings make you scratch your head.
I was referring to the maxpreps rankings 55. Before the mccracken game them and mayfield were real close in there rankings. I think mayfield was like 1 or 2 higher in the state and maybe a couple hundred in the nation. They were both around abouts say 27 or so in the state, and around 1600 in the nation. After the 1 point ot win mccracken jumped to like 700s nationally and around 11 in the state, mayfield dropped to around 30 in the state and 2000 in the nation. Yes mayfield should be behind mccracken, but suddenly after a 1 pt ot loss instead of them being closely ranked, it is deemed around 20 teams in the state, and 1300 in the nation would give mccracken a better game. I guess mayfield aint near as good as mccracken because they lost by 1 on the road in ot. Maybe those 1300 teams in between would have took them to triple ot. Obviously a team gets no credit for a loss by that computer even if its a close game.