•  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2014 3A top 10
Who said they didn't?:popcorn:
64SUR Wrote:3A in the east in 2015 going to be awesome. :rockon:

Who do you see beating belfry in the east. With the talent i hear they having coming up i look for them to be in championship game the next 3 or 4 years. I guess bell co, and corbin would be the only teams that pose much of a threat, but its hard to go against a team thats been in the title game 3 or 4 years in a row and has even better classes coming up.
killbilly usmc Wrote:Who do you see beating belfry in the east. With the talent i hear they having coming up i look for them to be in championship game the next 3 or 4 years. I guess bell co, and corbin would be the only teams that pose much of a threat, but its hard to go against a team thats been in the title game 3 or 4 years in a row and has even better classes coming up.

Belfry looks to be very good the next 4 years. Absolutely a ton of talent in the Sophomore and Freshman classes as long as that translates on the field. If it does it could be the deepest the Belfry talent pool has been in a long time.

Bell should have a very good team in 2015 after playing several Sophomores last year and Russell is a program that is about to have a very significant "up" stretch in their talent pool the next 3-4 years as well. Don't see Breathitt contending for a while unfortunately. Pike Central will have a dynamic QB in a few years, but hard to view them as a threat until they prove they can consistently stay within 3 TD's of Belfry. I am not sure that will happen with Chapman as their coach. Belfry seemingly is his Moby Dick.
mysonis55 Wrote:How many titles does Belfry have in 3a. I thought Central had pretty well had the lead in this decade.

Don't think anyone refuted that. Don't think anyone CAN refute that...much like noone can refute that since the new 3A has formed it has been Central and Belfry's world and everyone else is just living in it.

There is a reason that the two programs have been accounted for 6 of the 7 Titles and filled 10 of the 14 participants slots. During that stretch 2009 was the only year both Central and Belfry were rebuilding at the same time.

With that said.. Belfry has 7 State Finals Appearances and 3 State Titles since 2003. They have reached the Semi-Finals 10 of the past 11 years. The Belfry program is on one of the better runs in the State of Kentucky and appear to have at least 4 more years of solid teams ahead. It is quite the testament to Central that even during this run by Belfry that Scroggins' team has been even better.

It is a fairly safe bet Belfry will firmly be in the 3A Title discussion in 2014 and into the new alignment even with 3A seemingly being absolutely stacked.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Don't think anyone refuted that. Don't think anyone CAN refute that...much like noone can refute that since the new 3A has formed it has been Central and Belfry's world and everyone else is just living in it.

There is a reason that the two programs have been accounted for 6 of the 7 Titles and filled 10 of the 14 participants slots. During that stretch 2009 was the only year both Central and Belfry were rebuilding at the same time.

With that said.. Belfry has 7 State Finals Appearances and 3 State Titles since 2003. They have reached the Semi-Finals 10 of the past 11 years. The Belfry program is on one of the better runs in the State of Kentucky and appear to have at least 4 more years of solid teams ahead. It is quite the testament to Central that even during this run by Belfry that Scroggins' team has been even better.

It is a fairly safe bet Belfry will firmly be in the 3A Title discussion in 2014 and into the new alignment even with 3A seemingly being absolutely stacked.

I hope to see belfry get another shot at central, that is if tilghman cant get back.
killbilly usmc Wrote:Who do you see beating belfry in the east. With the talent i hear they having coming up i look for them to be in championship game the next 3 or 4 years. I guess bell co, and corbin would be the only teams that pose much of a threat, but its hard to go against a team thats been in the title game 3 or 4 years in a row and has even better classes coming up.

Nobody from the east is going to beat belfry the next 2-3 years.
The Outsider Wrote:Nobody from the east is going to beat belfry the next 2-3 years.

I won't go that far yet. Belfry in my opinion was 4 TD's better than anyone in the East in 2008 but Breathitt was able to shock them in the Semifinals. Belfry seemed to sleep walk that game and never could match Breathitt's energy or preparedness.

With that said..Belfry is going to have the talent that they should be the prohibitive favorite the next few years. They just can't expect a free pass because that wont happen.
I think someone got bent out of shape about my post. The reason I posted about Central was that someone prior to that made a statement that Belfry was the best 3a team period and essentially they would beat anyone else. So if I offended someone sorry. My point was that as it stands now Central should lay claim to that.
mysonis55 Wrote:I think someone got bent out of shape about my post. The reason I posted about Central was that someone prior to that made a statement that Belfry was the best 3a team period and essentially they would beat anyone else. So if I offended someone sorry. My point was that as it stands now Central should lay claim to that.

If you think that I was the one that got "bent out of shape". I absolutely did not. As far as the poster that posted the part about Belfry, you have to look at the username on some of the posters and it will explain alot. He or she is a Lawrence county fan and hates Belfry and is stirring the pot. As I think you like to do sometime. It's in us all to do that from time to time. But offended I was not. IMO, Central is the King of 3A and has been for awhile. Hardly any Belfry fan will deny that. They others are stirring.
^ I agree Central is king. I am curious to see how they look this coming season after the departure of that epic LBing core.
Ok, that makes sense. I just don't know how to tell on some of them.
mysonis55 inspired me with the 1A thread... here's my early ranking of 3A from Top to Bottom

1) Belfry
2) Central
3) Bell County
4) Bourbon County
5) Corbin
6) Monroe County
7) Paducah Tilghman
8) Pike Central
9) Wayne County
10) Russell
11) Mason County
12) South Warren
13) Ft. Campbell
14) Trigg Co
15) Etown
16) Lawrence County
17) Breathitt County
18) Estill County
19) Garrard County
20) Henry County
21) Adair County
22) Larue County
23) Powell County
24) Lewis County
25) Magoffin County
26) Fleming County
27) Western Hills
28) Edmonson County
29) Jackson County
30) Morgan County
31) Casey County
32) Sheldon Clark
33) East Carter
34) Bath County
35) West Carter
36) Webster County
37) Knott Central
38) Hart County
39) McCreary Central
What does Wayne Co return? I think PT could be the dark horse here. I'm not sure what kind of talent Rogers has to work with this year though. I think he has his qb back. I also don't know how long it will take for them to pick up on his style old school offense.
mysonis55 Wrote:What does Wayne Co return? I think PT could be the dark horse here. I'm not sure what kind of talent Rogers has to work with this year though. I think he has his qb back. I also don't know how long it will take for them to pick up on his style old school offense.

Wayne lost a lot. I think 7 or 8 starters om each side of the ball including Guffey and their top WR.

They have some nice young talent coming up in the lower ranks, but next year will be a bit of a rebuilding year that is not made any easier by Corbin and Bell returning practically everyone.

Love the way their Coach has built his program though over time and their feeder system is humming smoothly.

Until I see the changes made I have to view Tilghman as they are almost every year. A team that when fully motivated and playing smart can play with anyone in the class... but is rarely capable of having the inner discipline to win a game decided by a one or two possessions...let alone stringing together 4-5 straight playoff wins when 3A is up. Certainly think they have a talented coach with potential to tap into the oil well.... but even then Rogers himself hasn't proven he could win 4 straight playoff games and pull the victory out over a top end fundamentally sound opposition despite having a ton of athletic skill at his disposal.
Yes he has. He has 1 state title. He was an asst then but that is something he can tap into.
Here's how I would rank them out of the gate:

1) Belfry - Defense wins championships, so they say, and the Pirates return a very good one, plus, they return some very solid skill players and offensive linemen, which also bodes well for a repeat...
2) Corbin - A very young team in 2013, but, proved they could compete with the better teams. Another year in the weight room and natural maturity should bode well for the Redhounds, plus, I think there new coach will maximize all that talent better than the prior coach...
3) Central - I really think this will be a rebuilding year for the Jackets, but, even when they're in rebuilding mode, there raw talent is still better than most and the schedule they play prepares them better for the playoffs than any other team in there class...
4) S.Warren - This team loses several key pieces from the 13 team, but, they also have the most kids to choose from to replace them than any other 3a team and there defense will once again be stellar and one of the best in the state, regardless of class. This may well be the sleeper of the class in 2014...
5) Tilghman - No question about it, Rogers is a much better coach than Wyatt was and will better utilize the talent and skill players they have. The Tornado also return a solid defense, especially on the DL and at LB and there QB is a tremendous athlete that'll thrive in the Wing T offense. They never lack for skill players, so, I'm sure they have some solid talent to step in at RB and WR and in the secondary. Thats the least of there worries...
6) Bell Co - The Bobcats were young last year, but, that youth got better and better as the year went on. Add that to some solid newcomers from the underclasses and Bell will be back in contention in 2014, but, probably a year away from being fully back...
7) Bourbon Co - This team lost alot of talent from 2013, but, possess some strong underclassmen that by midseason, will be a team you don't want to see. They also have one of the better RBs in the state. If the OL can gel together, they have the potential to even be higher...
8) Monroe Co - Last year was a rebuilding year for Falcons, but, they return nearly every starter on D and only lose 3 or 4 on offense. The guys replacing them may be better players in the long run, but, were just a year away from being mature enough to handle the varsity level last year. They'll be much improved in 14, but, in 2015, they're going to give all the 2a teams a run for there money and will be a serious state title contender..
9) Wayne Co - I know they lost alot of last years team, but, they dressd alot of kids and had alot of blowouts last year, giving these younger guys coming up alot of game experience, so, while I think they'll have a dropoff from last year, it may not be as drastic as everyone thinks. They'll still be a tough out for whoever has to face them...
10) Ft Campbell - This is a team that had alot of speed and athleticism last year, but, relied alot on 1 RB for alot of there offense. Now that he's gone, they will spread the ball around more, making them a little tougher to gameplan for, plus, the lines on both sides of the ball will be a year older, bigger and stronger, so, if they can find the go-to guys, they'll be improved...
11) Mason Co - I know they lost alot, but, this team always has talent and are well coached and play sound fundamental football. No different this year. It may take them 6-7 games under there belts to find there identity, but, once they do, they'll be a formidable foe...
12) Pike Central - This team made some noise in 2013 and have the returning players to once again be a solid team. I could see this team even higher, but, I'm still giving them a wait and see approach and this seems like a fair position for them to start at, but, definately a team to keep an eye on as the season wears on...
13) Breathitt Co - From everything I've been hearing, Breathitt is in a rebuilding mode, but, even so, with there tradition, I find it hard to place them any lower than here. It wouldn't surprise me to see them being much better than most are anticipating on...
14) Trigg Co - The Wildcats have been solid for several years, but, play in a very tough district and seem to play good one week and not so good the next. If they can show a little more consistency, they could surprise some folks, because they'll put some good athletes on the field, that's a given...
15) Russell - I'm hearing good things about Russell this year. I'm hesitant to say they're back to where they were 5 to 6 years ago and last year didn't do alot for me to relinquish that hesitency, but, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and at least give them a mention and be watching to see how they're playing early on. There will be plenty of time for them to move up the food chain, if what people say is true...
EKUAlum05, Agree 100% top to bottom but give me Corbin over Bourbon.
We have #5 and #10 on our schedule. That should give us some idea about where they stand.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:mysonis55 inspired me with the 1A thread... here's my early ranking of 3A from Top to Bottom

1) Belfry
2) Central
3) Bell County
4) Bourbon County
5) Corbin
6) Monroe County
7) Paducah Tilghman
8) Pike Central
9) Wayne County
10) Russell
11) Mason County
12) South Warren
13) Ft. Campbell
14) Trigg Co
15) Etown
16) Lawrence County
17) Breathitt County
18) Estill County
19) Garrard County
20) Henry County
21) Adair County
22) Larue County
23) Powell County
24) Lewis County
25) Magoffin County
26) Fleming County
27) Western Hills
28) Edmonson County
29) Jackson County
30) Morgan County
31) Casey County
32) Sheldon Clark
33) East Carter
34) Bath County
35) West Carter
36) Webster County
37) Hart County
38) McCreary Central

Hey I know were bad but I think we should be on the list haha
Who didn't make the list.
Not taking anything away from Belfrey, but can we stop the 5-6 year run talk. Your talking about teams that will have kids that are in the 5-6th grade now that will be playing by the end of that run. We never know how these kids will develop. It would just take a special kid or two to make an average team good enough to beat them. So let's try to keep the predicting to maybe 1-2 years out.
mysonis55 Wrote:Who didn't make the list.

Knott County Central I guess. :popcorn:
U back out of retirement.
mysonis55 Wrote:U back out of retirement.

You are over your head in 3A Mysonis55. Confusednicker: Give Corbin a call in 2015 its to late for 2014. :Cheerlead
I don't know bout that. We usually do pretty good in 3a.
KCCFootball Wrote:Hey I know were bad but I think we should be on the list haha

Edited to add them in
EKYALUM great post with your 3A rankings and I'm gonna split some hairs here with your top 5 ....KYHSFBFan is correct Corbin needs to be a little higher.....at 2 above Central and Bell is a little much, but just under or a tie with Bell at 3 makes sense. again I'm splitting hairs 5 or 4 isn't a lot of difference. Corbin and Bell return the most potential from last year outside of the always loaded Central and Belfrey
Objective Wrote:EKYALUM great post with your 3A rankings and I'm gonna split some hairs here with your top 5 ....KYHSFBFan is correct Corbin needs to be a little higher.....at 2 above Central and Bell is a little much, but just under or a tie with Bell at 3 makes sense. again I'm splitting hairs 5 or 4 isn't a lot of difference. Corbin and Bell return the most potential from last year outside of the always loaded Central and Belfrey

I completely agree the difference is negligible and it is splitting hairs but here is my critique with Corbin in contrast to Bell County and Bourbon County and why I gave those teams the slight nod.

Bell vs. Corbin
Bell County in September was a bad team. Corbin in September was a strong team.
Bell County in October was an improving team. Corbin in October was the same team.
Bell County beats Corbin 7-0 October 18th.
Bell County in November was a quality team who was drastically improved, Corbin in November seemingly had taken a slight step back from the team in October.

Both teams return similar numbers and IMHO by November of last year Bell was a little better team. Bell has had a great off season with supposedly a ton of involvement and excitement.... Corbin hired a brand new coach after a long process. Haddix may make Corbin better, but in the short term I have to penalize them a bit assuming there will be an adjustment period to the new style.

Corbin vs. Bourbon

This one is more philosophical. Bourbon IMHO has been the 3rd or at worst 4th best team in 3A the past two years. The Colonels knows what it takes to reach the Semi-Finals and though they suffered substantial losses from last year in terms of production, they still will field a team that is as talented at the skill spots and lethal as anyone in 3A. Last year no 3A team in the state was better than Bourbon when you talk about their Top 7 overall players. They had the best RB, the 2nd best QB (argument could even be made for #1), the best WR, the best LB, and one of the Top 3 Safeties. If Letton end sup at Bourbon they once again will have an elite collection of skill players and you can't ignore that over their last 28 games...only Belfry has been a team on their level.

Now as I just mentioned this is me assuming currently that Letton is at Bourbon. If he ends up elsewhere I think you move Corbin up ahead of them. Aside form that True D-1 prospects aren't a common occurrence in 3A so a team with potentially two of them, who has proven to be a Top 5 3A team the past two seasons, certainly commands my respect over a Corbin team who has yet to see a Regional Final game in 3A coming off a coaching change.
KYHSFBFan Wrote:4) S.Warren - This team loses several key pieces from the 13 team, but, they also have the most kids to choose from to replace them than any other 3a team and there defense will once again be stellar and one of the best in the state, regardless of class. This may well be the sleeper of the class in 2014...

I think you'll be surprised just how far of a step back South Warren will take. They only lost 12 seniors, but those seniors represented 6 starters on the defensive side and 7 starters on the offensive side of the ball. Several of those players started since the inception of the program, including Jay Eblen, the only Spartan to ever start at QB. They only have one returning defensive starter that will be a senior, and only three returning starters that will be seniors on the offensive side of the ball. They lose their top two and four of their top 5 in tackles. They lose 3 of their front 4 (including UK signee Adrian Middleton) and their two interior linebackers. Two of their returning starters are in the secondary, and they don't run up against many teams that even try to pass. It was their rushing D where they made their name last year, and I just don't see their newcomers replacing that production.

You are right that they have more to choose from, but more or not, you don't gain 2-3 years of experience overnight. The guys stepping in will be lacking in that department, and I expect South Warren to slide to the bottom of the top 10, maybe just outside it.
64SUR Wrote:3A in the east in 2015 going to be awesome. :rockon:

It will be very interesting and exciting.....
  •  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next