Poll: Highlands @ LexCath
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Highlands
65.38%
Lexington Catholic
34.62%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlands @ Lexington Catholic 11/29 ( Class 4A State Semi Final Game )
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:A carbon copy of you.:eyeroll:

Must be a pretty sharp guy then!!
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:Go help momma out in the kitchen. The squirrel needs skinned.

Hmmm, I guess that's the only thing you can come up with when you get confronted with the truth. Right?
birdman44 Wrote:This is going to sound really weird, really weird coming from a big time bluebird fan.... There is a part of me that kindof hopes that this winning state every year gets broken up at some point. The kids are so spoiled. It is a little easier to win state now with 6 classes and they never get a taste of not winning state to appreciate how awesome it is. My class lost to CovCath in the mud bowl junior year so winning state as seniors was really sweet. God needs the devil, the beatles needed the rolling stones. I dont know, i always want them to win, its just weird that these kids dont know what not winning state is like. Some one soon is going to shock them... has to happen right?

Well if you REALLY don't wanna win state this year I'm sure there are a few teams that wouldn't mind shocking the Bluebirds... Confusednicker:
Bob Seger Wrote:Good to see you're feelin the love....TongueirateSho

Just wanted to make sure that you're enjoying your Thanksgiving off. Again. Confusednicker: Geez, all of us Highlands fans have had to watch a football game the day after Thanksgiving now since 2007.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Cannon Still Roars.....
All Highlands all night.
Can you dig it? Wrote:Just wanted to make sure that you're enjoying your Thanksgiving off. Again. Confusednicker: Geez, all of us Highlands fans have had to watch a football game the day after Thanksgiving now since 2007.

Actually my season doesn't start until mid March, but I just wanted to be sure that you enjoy your November time in the sun to the MAXX. Perhaps LexCath will have bird on their menu for the holiday festivities, and make theirs a Happy Day as well...Confusedinglepar
This Williamsburg fan, says LC will upset The mighty Highlands, 14 To 7
topnotch Wrote:This Williamsburg fan, says LC will upset The mighty Highlands, 14 To 7

Holding Highlands to 7 points is a very tall order. Not even Elder held Highlands to 7. The lowest Highlands has scored this season is 27 against Elder. On the other side, LC has only held one team to 7 or under all season.

I see it more like two years ago at LC: HHS 42 LC 21
By G. MICHAEL GRAHAM
Fort Thomas Matters Sports Reporter

Now that they’ve beaten their arch-rivals for the second time this year, many around Kentucky have basically anointed another state championship to the Highlands Bluebirds.

That is understandable considering the winner of the Covington Catholic Colonel-Highlands playoff game has finished as state champions or state runner-up 10 times since 1994 when Dale Mueller became Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator. The Bluebirds hope to make it seven straight state championships overall and seven straight championships the same year following a playoff win over the Colonels. Highlands beat CovCath for the third straight year, 28-13 in the regional championship game in Fort Thomas on Friday.

“Like Coach Mueller said earlier (Monday), it’s sometimes hard to get going on to the next game after you play your arch-rival,” said Scott Turner, Highlands senior offensive lineman. “We have to do that and continue to do the things we’ve been doing all year. That includes staying aggressive.”

But 12-1 Highlands knows Friday’s opponent will not just hand out a free pass to Bowling Green, especially on its home field. The Bluebirds head south to face the 10-3 Lexington Catholic Knights of District 5 on Friday at 7:30 p.m. in the Class 4A state semifinals. The Bluebirds have beaten the Knights, 61-28 in Fort Thomas last year and 42-21 in Lexington two years ago both in the same round.

Highlands is 5-1 all-time against Lexington Catholic. The only loss to the Knights came 17-0 in the 2005 regional title game. That marked the last time Highlands has been shut out.

Both teams played tough schedules. The Bluebirds played three straight Saturday road games in September and won all three in addition to losing 30-27 at Cincinnati Elder in late October. They won 33-26 at John Hardin and 42-25 at Paducah Tilghman before smashing CovCath, 42-6. John Hardin is taking on Bowling Green again in the 5A semifinals on Friday and Tilghman is playing host to undefeated Wayne County in the 3A semifinals.

LexCath lost to Bowling Green (48-21) and Louisville St. Xavier (49-28) to open the season. Bowling Green carries the state’s longest winning streak at 43 in a row. The Knights then lost 22-13 at Boyle County on Oct. 4 in the District 5 championship game.

The Knights have won six straight since then. LexCath beat Mercer County, 49-14 in the region championship last week after Mercer County upset previously undefeated Boyle County, 31-30 the week before that. Lexington Catholic Head Coach Bill Letton pointed to a big reason for the struggles in those earlier games.

“All of those teams had much more experience than we did, especially along the lines of scrimmage,” Letton said. “Playing them forced our younger kids to compete at a higher level and jump on a fast learning curve.”

That could favor the experienced Bluebirds in the trenches. Highlands has experience all over the field. The offensive line has blocked well allowing the Bluebirds to put up averages of 52 points and 440.1 yards per game in their spread offense.

“Every play starts with the offensive line,” Mueller said. “If the offensive line plays well, the play goes well. If the line doesn’t play well, the play doesn’t go well. The whole game revolves around the offensive line. You see a quarterback completing a pass from the stands. But almost every time a quarterback completes a pass, the line is giving him so much protection and he has time to find the open receiver.”

Highlands quarterback Drew Houliston has completed 198-of-286 passes for 3,302 yards, 44 touchdowns and just two interceptions. Junior Jensen Feggins has been his favorite target with 44 receptions for 913 yards and 13 touchdowns. But 10 different Bluebirds have at least 11 catches.

Highlands senior running back Zach Harris gives teams fits running and catching the ball. He leads the team with 906 yards on 130 carries and 18 touchdowns and is tied with Ryan Greene with 29 catches for 463 yards and nine touchdowns. Greene has 413 yards receiving with four scores and junior Alex Veneman has 28 catches for 667 yards and nine touchdowns.

“All of our defenders realize that they will be isolated (and) tested at some point during the night so we try to keep each one focused on every play and hope that we can win our share of battles,” Letton said. “This team has been a really hard-working, dedicated group. They have looked at themselves critically and tried to correct all of their mistakes.”

Lexington Catholic could be without its top playmaker in its 4-2-5 defense in senior linebacker Josh Messmer. He leads the team with 120 tackles, but missed the Mercer County game because of injury so players like junior linebackers Chase Boling and Braxton Couch may need to step forward. Couch has 89 tackles with Boiling and Messer leading the team with three fumble recoveries each. Sophomore defensive back Davis Rowady leads LexCath with five interceptions. Lexington Catholic has allowed 277 points, 1,647 yards rushing and 1,997 passing this season.

Highlands will also face a spread offense out of its 3-4 defense. The Bluebirds allow averages of 20.3 points and 303.8 yards per contest. The Knights have garnered 525 points, 2,294 yards rushing and 3,184 yards passing this year.

Lexington Catholic is led by junior quarterback Reese Ryan. Ryan has completed 194-of-304 passes for 2,984 yards, 33 touchdowns and eight interceptions.

“(Ryan) has a cannon for an arm. I remember preparing for him last year,” said Brian Weinrich, Highlands Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator. “We actually used a Junior League football for practice last year just so the (defensive backs) could get used to seeing the ball in the air that long and that far because we hadn’t played a quarterback that had the arm strength of him. He really is a challenge. He’s a frustrating quarterback to prepare for. You have to be careful with him because you’ll see a play on film where a team will get some pressure on him. But on the next play, you see the same type of play happen but he gets away and it is a 50-yard gain after a 10-yard loss. You have to pick what you want to do and when you want to do it.”

Senior David Bouvier and sophomore Sam Letton have been his top targets. Bouvier has 70 catches for 988 yards and eight touchdowns. Sam Letton has 41 for 850 yards and 13 scores. But the Highlands defenders face similarly talented players in practice all the time.

“I think it prepares us well because we know what we’re going up against,” said Bo Hebel, Highlands sophomore defensive lineman. “(Ryan) is good at moving around in the pocket. We have to keep him in front of us. You can’t rush too far upfield.”

Lexington Catholic’s running game has improved from last year. Senior Marcelis Logan has rushed for 769 yards and 15 touchdowns on 104 carries and senior Noah Mitchell has 602 yards on 103 carries with five scores.

The winner takes on either Collins (11-2) or Owensboro (10-3) in the state championship on Dec. 7 at Western Kentucky University at 3 p.m. Central Standard Time. Highlands beat Collins, 41-0 in last year’s 4A title game.

http://www.fortthomasmatters.com/2013/11...s-out.html
Highlands offense can score in a lot of ways. Their defense is so so. I know how Mueller thinks. If they score 40. We will score 50. I agree with an earlier post. After this year. Things might be changing. I know what they have back and it's not the talent of past years.
bo67 Wrote:Highlands offense can score in a lot of ways. Their defense is so so. I know how Mueller thinks. If they score 40. We will score 50. I agree with an earlier post. After this year. Things might be changing. I know what they have back and it's not the talent of past years.

I agree except their D is better than so so. Not the D of last couple years but when starters are in much better than so so.
To get an idea how much influence the passing attack has had on Highlands’ sustained football success, look no further than the Bluebirds’ imprints on the national and state record books.

There you will find that of the 17 Highlands listings for all-time individual national and state leaders, 11 were generated by passers and receivers. On the other hand, none were created by running backs. In state annals, the running game is getting pummeled by both the Bluebirds’ punt returners (two listings) and extra-point kickers (two listings).

“We’re known for throwing the football,” said Highlands third-year starter Zach Harris, who’s known for running with it, even if the proof hasn’t shown up on national and state record lists.

The senior tailback is putting his last dents on the school record book, which includes just two players before him under 20-year coach Dale Mueller who rushed for 1,000 yards in both his junior and senior seasons.

“Coach said his son (Eamon Mueller) and Justin Frisk were the only two to do it,” Harris said. “Ever since he said that, it’s been a goal.”

As if Lexington Catholic (10-3), Friday’s 7:30 p.m. Class 4A state tournament semifinal opponent, doesn’t have enough to worry about after game-planning for quarterback Drew Houliston and the aerial assault of the Bluebirds (12-1).

The winner plays either Owensboro or Collins in next Saturday’s championship game in Bowling Green, where Harris hopes to put the finishing touches on his fourth state championship-winning season for the Bluebirds, who are aiming for their seventh straight title.

With 906 rushing yards, following a 1,001-yard season a year ago, Harris needs 94 to reach the grand accomplishment he covets second only to winning another state title. He rambled for 194 yards and scored a pair of touchdowns in last week’s regional final win against Covington Catholic. It was his first postseason action after tweaking an ankle that caused him to miss two games. He amassed 142 yards on the ground his previous outing against Warren Central, a team he also gashed for 113 yards receiving.

“It’s really tough at Highlands to start at running back as a sophomore, and he did that,” coach Mueller said of his 5-foot-10, 200-pound tailback. “The offense really revolves around Zach, with his running, his receiving and his blocking. He’s been a completely unselfish blocker, just drilling rushing linebackers out of the way so Drew can have time to throw.”

Harris has been active at running back for nine games, averaging 100 per contest. He’s added 466 yards on 29 receptions, the result of an expanded role in the passing scheme that has tripled last season’s reception total with more shovel passes and screens. He’s averaging 6.9 yards per carry and 16 yards per catch.

He helped the ‘Birds get away to a flying start with 472 yards from scrimmage and 11 touchdowns the first three games. With 27 total touchdowns, he’s averaging a score every 5.8 touches. He’s averaging 16.4 points per game, which is more than eight 4A teams.

With possibly two more games to pad his totals, Harris has a chance to reach 2,500 career rushing yards, 3,500 total yards, 70 touchdowns and 400 points.

“Those are incredible numbers,” Harris said. “But, honestly, all I want to do is win football games.”

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll...311280051/
When/Where: 7:30 p.m. Friday at Joseph K. Ford Stadium, Lexington.

Last Week: Highlands beat Covington Catholic, 28-13; Lexington Catholic beat Mercer County, 49-14.

Last Season: Highlands won in state semifinals, 61-28.

Team Offensive Averages: Highlands – 52.0 ppg, 440.1 yards per game (118.6 rushing, 321.5 passing). Lexington Catholic –40.4 ppg, 421.3 yards per game (176.4 rushing, 244.9 passing).

Team Defensive Averages: Highlands – 20.3 ppg, 303.8 yards per game (154.1 rushing, 149.7 passing). Lexington Catholic – 21.3 ppg, 280.3 yards per game (126.7 rushing, 153.6 passing).

Highlands Statistical Leaders:

Rushing – Zach Harris (130 rushes for 906 yards, 18 TDs); Jalen Hayes (48 for 278, 3 TDs); Nick Kendall (24 for 274, 3 TDs).

Passing – Drew Houliston (198 of 286 for 3,292 yards, 44 TDS, 2 INTs).

Receiving – Jensen Feggins (44 catches for 913 yards, 13 TDs); Zach Harris (29 for 466, 9 TDs); Ryan Greene (29 for 413, 3 TDs); Alex Veneman (28 for 667, 9 TDs).

Defense – Highlands does not report tackles leaders; Joey Kruse (3 fumble recoveries, 2 TDs; 1 INT, TD); Rocco Pangallo (2 fumble recoveries); Griffin Urlage (2 INTs).

Lexington Catholic Statistical Leaders:

Rushing – Marcelis Logan (104 rushes for 769 yards, 15 TDs); Noah Mitchell (103 for 602, 5 TDs); Carter Gray (40 for 422, 5 TDs); Reese Ryan (86 for 261, 4 TDs).

Passing – Reese Ryan (194 of 304 for 2,984 yards, 33 TDs, 8 INTs).

Receiving – David Bouvier (70 catches for 988 yards, 8 TDS); Sam Letton (41 for 850, 13 TDs); Marcelis Logan (31 for 369, 5 TDs); Noah Mitchell (30 for 465, 3 TDs).

Defense – Josh Mesmer (120 tackles, 3 fumble recoveries, 2 INTs); Braxton Couch (89 tackles, 2 fumble recoveries, 1 INT); Chase Boling (79 tackles, 3 fumble recoveries,2 INTs); Davis Rowaday (5 INTs) .

Litkenhous Ratings: Highlands 130.3, Lexington Catholic 109.1.

Noteworthy: The winner advances to the state championship game to play the Owensboro-Collins winner at 4 p.m. on Dec. 7 in Bowling Green. … Since Covington Catholic beat Highlands 25-15 in the second round of the Class 3A playoffs in 2006, Highlands has won 33 straight playoff games has won 44 straight games against Kentucky teams since losing to Ryle in the 2010 regular-season finale. … Highlands is seeking to reach its seventh straight state championship game. It has won six straight state titles. … Highlands has 56 touchdown passes this season. The school record is 59 set in 2000. …. Highlands is seeking its third straight Class 4A semifinal win over Lexington Catholic. It not only won last season 61-28, but it also won 42-21 in 2011. … Lexington Catholic quarterback Reese Ryan has scholarship offers from Illinois and Louisville and is being recruited by several other Division I colleges. … Highlands has 10 different receivers with 11 catches or more and 13 different receivers with at least one touchdown reception, including 10 who have three or more.

Richard Skinner
Still taking Highlands.
Highlands' pursuit of a seventh consecutive state football title is looking awfully familiar.Last year the Bluebirds rolled by, in order, Boyd County, Ashland Blazer, Covington Catholic and Lexington Catholic to reach the Class 4A state finals, where they beat Collins.So far this post-season, Highlands has rolled by, in order, Boyd County, Ashland Blazer and Covington Catholic. The Bluebirds visit Lexington Catholic in the semifinals Friday night. If they win, they could face Collins again in the title game."So far it's been just like last year. It's like groundhog day or something," Highlands Coach Dale Mueller said with a laugh. "We wouldn't mind it ending up the same way."Lexington Catholic, which lost to the Bluebirds in the semifinals the last two years, hopes to change things up. Lexington Catholic Coach Bill Letton said his defense has to slow the Bluebirds' high-powered offense, which is averaging 52 points and 440 yards per game.Drew Houliston has thrown for 3,292 yards and 44 touchdowns. Zach Harris has 1,300 yards and 27 TDs rushing and receiving. Jason Feggins and Alex Veneman have combined for 72 catches, 1,570 yards and 22 TDs."They put so much pressure on you, stretching the field horizontally and vertically, and they have guys at all positions that can make plays," Letton said. "That means your guys are going to be in the spotlight in one-on-one battles, and they've got to make the plays."Mueller said Lexington Catholic will present the same kind of trouble for Highlands' defense. He singled out Knights' quarterback Reese Ryan, running back Marcelis Logan and receivers David Bouvier and Sam Letton.Ryan, a junior who started against Highlands last year, has passed for 2,984 yards and 33 TDs. David Bouvier, the school's all-time leader in receptions and receiving yards, has 70 catches for 988 yards and eight TDs this year. Sam Letton has 41 catches for 850 yards and 13 TDs. Marcelis Logan has 768 yards and 15 TDs rushing, and 369 yards and five TDs receiving.In what figures to be a high-scoring game, Letton said "stops will be at a premium. We didn't get them (in a 61-28 loss) last year."

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2013/11/28/29591...rylink=cpy
Keys to game: Lex Cath must put pressure on Drew. Period, end of story. Highlands must keep their emotions in check and not overpursue. Birds Win.
How can I listen to this game on a I pad .
mrb5150 Wrote:How can I listen to this game on a I pad .

Not sure that you can. If you figure it out, please post. On a PC you can listen here:

http://www.highlands.localsportsradio.co...s/home.imp

The site also includes instructions for listening on a MAC but I have not been able to figure out how to do it on an iPad or iPhone despite searching. :HitWall:
Highlands by 30
Frozenbird Wrote:Not sure that you can. If you figure it out, please post. On a PC you can listen here:

http://www.highlands.localsportsradio.co...s/home.imp

The site also includes instructions for listening on a MAC but I have not been able to figure out how to do it on an iPad or iPhone despite searching. :HitWall:

You can listen to almost all other high school games on I pad but not highlands maybe they need to update what they are using .
http://www.realliferadio.com/. This should work on I pad
Maybe not I tried
Download tune in radio from App Store for free and type in the station it works right now tonight who knows
Harris got his 1000 yards last year in the state game for one reason. He was 27 yards short and out of the game. But Colin Seidl told the coach to put him back in to get his 1000. Or that would not have happened.
bo67 Wrote:Harris got his 1000 yards last year in the state game for one reason. He was 27 yards short and out of the game. But Colin Seidl told the coach to put him back in to get his 1000. Or that would not have happened.

:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:

You mean to tell me that Dale Mueller would play a kid just for the sole purpose of getting a record.......Please say it aint so!!!!!!!

Oh, the irony that your never hear the truth about, from out of the peanut gallery....Confusednicker:
When does success become a problem?
Since the move to 6 classes teams like Highlands and Trinity have seen very little opposition. There may have been some close calls in there, but for the most part, our state champion winners seem to have had it rather easy since the 6 class system came into effect.

I appluad these types of teams for being so dominant, and personally have no problem with schools continuing to win. However, this isn't the same world we use to live in. When do people start getting mad and showing there frustration? When do parents get mad and cry that little Johnny isn't getting a shot at a title?

I think realigning and reclassing everything is the most used answer, but I don't want to turn this into a debate where people start listing how they would like to see the classes and playoffs set up. When does it get to a point where the KHSAA folds, because we all know they do very well at that.
I can tell you one thing. Mueller is a better man than me. If I were Highlands coach I would try to break every record in the record book. I'd still have Houliston in throwing 90 yard TD passes against Harrison County late in the 4th qtr.
But, thats just me. I'd like to see every record broken.
As far as the response to how Harris got his 1000 yards. I was on the sidelines standing right next to Colin and the coach when those words were said. Colin took himself out and Zach went back in. In fact he went over 1000 yards. When you were a coach there last year you kind of know what's going on.
Mueller wasn't even at the game. He was attending a death in his wife's family.
As far as Dale breaking records. He has changed a little. Years ago I remember doing onside kicks when up by 40.