Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prestonsburg's keys to Success
2013 WYMT Pigskin Preview: Prestonsburg Blackcats

PRESTONSBURG, Ky. (WYMT) - Prestonsburg has a young team coming into the 2013 season, but the Blackcats are still considered District 8 favorites.

The Blackcats went 8-4 last season, where they were two points away from going to a regional final game. Head coach John Derrossett packed the bags, loaded the bus and took his team on the road this offseason to get better.

Despite returning quarterback Jarredd Jarrell, who threw for more than 3,000 yards in 2012, Derrossett thinks his roster full of youth will be just fine.

"We are very young but I think we are growing up fast," Derrossett said. "We use to, we took the kids on the road a lot, did a lot of summer things, we did a lot of 7-on-7. They changed the rules. You couldn't do 7-on-7 so we said we are going to get back on the road and start doing things so we loaded up and went to U-K, went to Lexington Catholic. We traveled a lot with these guys, even though a lot of them is going to be sophomores."

"We feel like they grew up fast over the summer. We have done a lot more in the film room. We are trying to be better teachers. Sometimes as coaches, you blow your top and you want things right now but we try to pull it back a little bit with these guys, do a little more teaching, do a few more pats on the back and I think you are seeing a growth in our young team."

http://www.wkyt.com/wymt/sports/sportsov...41161.html
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
Sign in front of the High School says Prestonsburg vs Breathitt at 6:00 pm Friday for a scrimage game at P-burg. A lot of questions will be answered then, as far as the line up.
What did the blackcats look like
The Breathitt Bobcats, Boyd Co. Lions and P-burg were the three teams. Boyd looked a little shaky early with a lot of muffed handoffs and blown plays but settled down as the night went on. The Bobcats looked pretty good at times on offense, they just need to work on timing on pass routes. The Blackcats looked pretty good. Had some offensive and defensive miscues but settled down also. My impressions: Breathitt will be much better than folks think. Boyd will have a tough learning year but if they stick with Coach Gilliam I could see them returning to 1970's form. P-burg's defensive may surprise some folks, they looked good for it to be so early. On offensive Jarrell to Jarrell looks to be a combo we will hear a lot this year. Frasier is a bull, I don't think he had a run for less than five yards all night. Ousley and Reed looked good also on Offense. The down side is Mullins and Spears both have Mono and may be out for a month. However Perry may be returning to action soon.
Cardinals ride Wrote:They will not be as good as they were originally expected but they still have some very good players. They are still much better than Betsy Layne. I also think they will beat LC.

Prestonsburg will miss Anderson but you can expect them to find guys to step up.

When you say LC I hope you are talking about Leslie County because if not then......BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :biglmao:
2013 WYMT Pigskin Preview: No. 9 Prestonsburg Blackcats

PRESTONSBURG, Ky (WYMT) - The Prestonsburg Blackcats are looking to take back-to-back district titles in class 2a district 8.

"The target is definitely on our back, everybody's going to try to beat us, it should be a very tough game against Betsy Layne and we get the other two at home and hopefully we'll be able to take care of business," said Junior Quarterback Jarredd Jarrell.

Sophomore Wide Receiver Chatlin Jarrell agreed, "A lot of people underestimate our district, on't think we can play with out districts i thinkwe can go through with it."

The Blackcats have only a handful of seniors on their roster, with the bulk of their talent coming from their sophomores and juniors.

"Trying to be better teachers sometimes as coaches you blow your top and you want things right now, but we tried to pull it back with these guys do a little bit more teaching do a few more pats on the back. I think you're seeing growth in our young team," said Head Coach John DeRossett

"We learned a lot, we had a lot of younger guys stepping up in there and those are the guys that will be in there this year that is taking the place of the seniors last year that we lost," said Senior Lineman Kyle Wallace.

Last season the Blackcats finished 8-4 with a second round loss to Danville. Now, focusing of this season the players talk strengths they see with this team.

"I think our defense looks a lot better than last year, have some good linebackers which we had last year and we have our defensive backs are good, just got better and our offense about the same as last year, passing it a lot and running it some," said Sophomore Wide Receiver and Running Back Dalton Frasure.

"We brought a lot to the field last year and we will bring a lot to the field this year, we lost players like Bryson. It's just going to be hard without them, but brought back players like Jarredd and Dalton i think our offense and defense will be a lot better," said Sophomore Defensive Back Seth Marcum.

Junior Running Back and Linebacker Chase Ousley said where they went wrong last year, "Last year sometimes we'd just stop and start, and didn't keep playing all the way through. Only half of the game we'd work hard and then tried to dig ourselves out of a hole, but this year we gotta play every snap from the time the ball is snapped to the whistle blows."

Though this Blackcat team is young, their expectations are sky high.

Sophomore Linebacker Jordan Ray said he wanted a "State championship nothing less."

"What motivates me is being in bowling green for thanksgiving." said Junior Lineman Thomas Spears.

"Anything less than a state championship is unacceptable for us," agreed Jarrell.

The Blackcats kick off their season with a home game against Pikeville.

http://www.wkyt.com/wymt/sports/sportsov...57541.html
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
UpYours Wrote:With Anderson / Without Anderson
Pikeville – W / L
Sheldon Clark – W
Knox Co. – L
Powell Co. – W
Pike Cent. – W
Betsy Layne – W / L
Hazard – L
Shelby Valley – W
Leslie Co. – W / L
Lawrence Co – L

He has that type of game changing potential to go from a 7-3 season to a possible 4-6 season.

LOOKS LIKE I'M 1 for 1.