Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
School Shooting - 27 Dead
[Updated at 2:40 p.m. ET]

NEWTOWN, Conn.--St. Rose of Lima Roman Catholic Church was evacuated during its noon mass on Sunday due to an anonymous threat made by phone.

A spokesman for the church told Yahoo News that an unidentified male called the rectory, threatening to "kill everyone."

"My friend didn't finish the job," the caller said, according to the church official.

The church alerted state police, who said it was a credible enough threat and ordered the church be evacuated, the spokesman said.

At approximately 12:30 p.m., Monsignor Robert Weiss interrupted a younger priest, "calmly told the parishoners there was a threat," and led the evacuation of approximately 500 people, he said.

Heavily-armed patrolmen and SWAT team members surrounded the church with weapons drawn.

Police formed a perimeter around the church and several adjacent buildings, including an empty education center. The media, which had been barred from attending the mass at St. Rose but were camped out across the street, swarmed to capture footage of the chaotic scene.

Approximately a dozen police and SWAT officers surrounded a white building just west of the church, taking cover behind trees with guns drawn.

A Newtown police officer declared the scene was "clear" at approximately 1:15 p.m., but declined to answer any questions about the threat. At 2 p.m., a Humvee carrying the tactical unit left the church parking lot.

The Newtown Police Department headquarters also declined to comment on why officers rushed to the church.

"No, we don't have any information on that," a hurried police dispatcher told Yahoo News.

At least 10 of the 20 children killed during Friday's massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School were parishoners at St. Rose, the church spokesman said, adding that funerals for eight of the children are scheduled to be held there.

It's the second threat in as many days for St. Rose, according the Washington Post. On Saturday, the church displayed posters for parishioners to express their grief. However, an unknown prankster wrote, "This is just round one," on one of them, the pastor said.

By 2:30 p.m., the church had closed its doors and cancelled their evening mass.

Yahoo
Wildcatk23 Wrote:[Updated at 2:40 p.m. ET]

NEWTOWN, Conn.--St. Rose of Lima Roman Catholic Church was evacuated during its noon mass on Sunday due to an anonymous threat made by phone.

A spokesman for the church told Yahoo News that an unidentified male called the rectory, threatening to "kill everyone."

"My friend didn't finish the job," the caller said, according to the church official.

The church alerted state police, who said it was a credible enough threat and ordered the church be evacuated, the spokesman said.

At approximately 12:30 p.m., Monsignor Robert Weiss interrupted a younger priest, "calmly told the parishoners there was a threat," and led the evacuation of approximately 500 people, he said.

Heavily-armed patrolmen and SWAT team members surrounded the church with weapons drawn.

Police formed a perimeter around the church and several adjacent buildings, including an empty education center. The media, which had been barred from attending the mass at St. Rose but were camped out across the street, swarmed to capture footage of the chaotic scene.

Approximately a dozen police and SWAT officers surrounded a white building just west of the church, taking cover behind trees with guns drawn.

A Newtown police officer declared the scene was "clear" at approximately 1:15 p.m., but declined to answer any questions about the threat. At 2 p.m., a Humvee carrying the tactical unit left the church parking lot.

The Newtown Police Department headquarters also declined to comment on why officers rushed to the church.

"No, we don't have any information on that," a hurried police dispatcher told Yahoo News.

At least 10 of the 20 children killed during Friday's massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School were parishoners at St. Rose, the church spokesman said, adding that funerals for eight of the children are scheduled to be held there.

It's the second threat in as many days for St. Rose, according the Washington Post. On Saturday, the church displayed posters for parishioners to express their grief. However, an unknown prankster wrote, "This is just round one," on one of them, the pastor said.

By 2:30 p.m., the church had closed its doors and cancelled their evening mass.

Yahoo

Now whoever threatened them will be famous. Thus completing the media whore society we have now.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:Rent a box truck.

Get about 500 pounds of fertilizer

About twenty gallons of diesel fuel

a car battery

this would be a small scale version of the OKC bomb.

That seems about as easy as stealing the guns and killing your own mother. Your argument holds no weight what so ever people have been killing each other for a very long time. The weapon is not the problem people are. Civilians have always possesed the equivelent of the military service rifle, yet we didn't have this problem till they took God out of schools and until the media started sensationalizing events like this, if you want to be a celebrity go shoot a bunch of people and CNN will do it for you. These are the problems not the guns, Liberals have fallen into the trap of thinking the nanny state is the answer to all of our problems. Europe has a higher murder rate than the US. Gun Crime is lower but the rates remain similar because people will kill each other no matter what

A person could do this easier than taking his mothers gun?

CNN will do it for you? Is not every media station on the planet not reporting this. Why make this about that?
Wildcatk23 Wrote:I love when you prove my point.

He couldn't easily Get a bomb now could he.

Really? A little fertilizer and a little diesel fuel can make a devastating one. It's what Timothy McVie used in Oklahoma City. How about a little gunpowder and a piece of lead pipe loaded with nails? Perhaps a pop bottle full of gasoline, or better yet a gallon glass jug, and a cloth wick?

Anybody that has their minds made up they want to kill a bunch of people at one time has no trouble designing ways to do that very thing.

It's a funny thing to me that when this nation was formed in the 1700 -1800's that when everyone had a gun strapped to their hip, that you didn't have all the sicko mass murderers that you have in this day and time. Like I said earlier, the ones that will cry foul the loudest are the exact same ones that will not recognize that most of the things that happen such as this can be traced back to the lack of moral teachings that are now classified as taboo by today's society, and the direct correlation that exists. Hmmm, kind of reminds one of the direction of the wacko liberal democratic party now doesn't it?
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:Rent a box truck.

Get about 500 pounds of fertilizer

About twenty gallons of diesel fuel

a car battery

this would be a small scale version of the OKC bomb.

That seems about as easy as stealing the guns and killing your own mother. Your argument holds no weight what so ever people have been killing each other for a very long time. The weapon is not the problem people are. Civilians have always possesed the equivelent of the military service rifle, yet we didn't have this problem till they took God out of schools and until the media started sensationalizing events like this, if you want to be a celebrity go shoot a bunch of people and CNN will do it for you. These are the problems not the guns, Liberals have fallen into the trap of thinking the nanny state is the answer to all of our problems. Europe has a higher murder rate than the US. Gun Crime is lower but the rates remain similar because people will kill each other no matter what

We were thinking the exact same thing at the same time PTF.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:How many died?

Too damn many!!!!

Bob Seger Wrote:We were thinking the exact same thing at the same time PTF.

Unfortunately for us logic might not prevail in this situation. Feinstein has already said she will introduce another AWB at the beginning of the next legislative session. Hopefully the republicans will stand tall and prevent idiocy from taking over.
I want to be really careful here; posting publicly. However, fertilizer, diesel fuel and a battery is MAJOR technology compared to what he could've done and how easily he could acquire a bomb.

I could go into my kitchen and make a bomb right now, as MOST housekeepers could. Add some schrapnel and explode it inside a classroom; it would be devistating!!

I'm nor sure why I'm comparing atrocities right now, I just couldn't believe that Wildkat would believe that making a bomb would be difficult to do. It isn't.
Bob Seger Wrote:Really? A little fertilizer and a little diesel fuel can make a devastating one. It's what Timothy McVie used in Oklahoma City. How about a little gunpowder and a piece of lead pipe loaded with nails? Perhaps a pop bottle full of gasoline, or better yet a gallon glass jug, and a cloth wick?

Anybody that has their minds made up they want to kill a bunch of people at one time has no trouble designing ways to do that very thing.

It's a funny thing to me that when this nation was formed in the 1700 -1800's that when everyone had a gun strapped to their hip, that you didn't have all the sicko mass murderers that you have in this day and time. Like I said earlier, the ones that will cry foul the loudest are the exact same ones that will not recognize that most of the things that happen such as this can be traced back to the lack of moral teachings that are now classified as taboo by today's society, and the direct correlation that exists. Hmmm, kind of reminds one of the direction of the wacko liberal democratic party now doesn't it?

Its funny to me that the places in the US with the highest rates of violent crime are ones that the left has controlled for 30+ years, with the toughest gun laws in the US. Ole Nikita was right when he said communism would creep into our country and destroy us from within.
I still carry my gun, Bob Seger! I'm legal, too.
But, nobody can carry one inside a school, unless they're criminally insane.
Granny Bear Wrote:I want to be really careful here; posting publicly. However, fertilizer, diesel fuel and a battery is MAJOR technology compared to what he could've done and how easily he could acquire a bomb.

I could go into my kitchen and make a bomb right now, as MOST housekeepers could. Add some schrapnel and explode it inside a classroom; it would be devistating!!

I'm nor sure why I'm comparing atrocities right now, I just couldn't believe that Wildkat would believe that making a bomb would be difficult to do. It isn't.

With books like the anarchist cookbook, and the various army field manuals available along with a simple internet search that im not going to do but am sure would bring the desired results. The problem is society and how degenerate it has become. We have a incredibly large portion of the country actively advocating for communism. They have abandoned God, They want to remove a right because someone killed twenty children yet they advocate the killing of 3,562 babies every day via abortions.
Granny Bear Wrote:I still carry my gun, Bob Seger! I'm legal, too.
But, nobody can carry one inside a school, unless they're criminally insane.

That would solve the situation quickly and completely. We now live in a country of hoplophobes who think all they need is a sign that says no guns allowed.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:Its funny to me that the places in the US with the highest rates of violent crime are ones that the left has controlled for 30+ years, with the toughest gun laws in the US. Ole Nikita was right when he said communism would creep into our country and destroy us from within.

Yep, "most" mass killers target groups that are least likely to be armed. "Most" of the time it happens in states that have the most stringent gun laws.

If one of these cowardly killers had to choose between a cinema in a town that allowed patrons to conceal carry or a town that banned hand guns, which one will the coward choose? I think we all know the answer to that.

A friend of mine once said there is one way to end hijackings...Pass out 357 Magnums to every passenger that boards. Problem solved.
Granny Bear Wrote:Too damn many!!!!

Injured.

Read the article
Wildcatk23 Wrote:I love when you prove my point.

He couldn't easily Get a bomb now could he.

Well, yes, actually he could make a bomb or bombs quite easily. Most anyone can go on the internet and find several sites with a list of the ingredients and directions needed to make a bomb. If he doesn't have the internet, he could always go to the public library to find the instructions. You aren't really that naive, are you?

Did you ever notice that few homes with outward signs of burglar alarms get broken into by thieves? I would recommend required training for all principals in the safe use of firearms and make sure each one carries one while on the job. Make it mandatory. I would also make sure that this fact is well broadcast to the public and I'd put a nice, big sign so indicating at every entry point to the school. After that, any perpetrator of whatever kind will be subject to the old legal adage, "assumption of the risk".

More gun laws won't do any good whatsoever. Another old adage states that, if you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns and that is absolutely true.
With the incompetent administration currently in office, it wouldnt surprise me to see this country invaded one day.
Would you still be hoping for the 2nd amendment to go away when Chinese or Koreans come knocking at your door? Or will you be glad you have a small arsenal to defend yourself?
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:With the incompetent administration currently in office, it wouldnt surprise me to see this country invaded one day.
Would you still be hoping for the 2nd amendment to go away when Chinese or Koreans come knocking at your door? Or will you be glad you have a small arsenal to defend yourself?

That is what it is there for. It kept japan from invading in WW2 and keeps anyone from invading to this day.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:With the incompetent administration currently in office, it wouldnt surprise me to see this country invaded one day.

Please tell me you didn't give a summery of the movie "Red Dawn?"
Anyone who thinks that taking guns away from the good law abiding citizens of this country will stop things like this from happening "without sugar coating it" is a blathering idiot and I will look you in the eye and say it. If they made it law today that we the people could no longer own any certain weapon or even all weapons, do you honestly think that the criminals of this world would follow this law? They are criminals by the way and you don't get the title of criminal by obeying the law. I believe that if we ever come to the point in this country where they try to take weapons from the good people that stuff like carjacking and burglary and even thinks like the mass killings like at this school would go up and out of control because the criminals would have less holding em back. If you don't think that a lot of people owning guns in this area that i live in doesn't keep the crime rates down then go take our guns away and see how quick the crime rate goes up. Some of you people on here crack me up and I think you are secretly smocking some crack if you believe even half of the silly garbage that comes out of your mouths sometimes. Sometimes you just got to stop, think about what your saying and let your brains catch up with that mouth.(LOL)

A list of things that I believe to be fact
#1 Criminals don't and won't follow the law ='s a lot of dead and victimized people
#2 A whole lot of the guns in this country aren't even registered and would be almost impossible to track down and this includes some of mine ='s a lot of people hiding the guns that can't be traced to their name and therefore becoming a criminal themselves and this would include me. "Hey if ya can't beat em join em"
#3 GUNS DONT KILL PEOPLE- PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE AND IF THEY WANT TO KILL SOMEONE THEY DONT NEED A GUN TO DO IT.........PERIOD
We need to watch how we talk about explosives in here. Just stating that so it's said.
I agree vundy!! I was really reluctant to post what I did, but I wanted to let Wildcatk23 know how easily it would be for some nut to actually acquire a bomb. You can remove my post if you want.
Huckabee has made a number of statements about what has happened, one that stood out to me was when talking about when he was in school. He said students, teachers, other staff members always had guns in their cars. Typically a gun rack in their truck. Many would go hunting before and after school. Not one time did a school shooting happen.

Another comment that sticks out to me (not said by Huckabee) was that we pay for armed protection to the president, various politicians, and even have armed guards protect gold. Is our children not more important and shouldn't they receive the same protection?

This school was in a state with the toughest gun laws and most advanced security system and he was still able to do what he intended.

IMO, had there been an armed guard standing watch, he may not have even made it past the front door.
I think you've made several very valid points here!
Tell you something that I saw one time. When I was in junior high, a student who was an avid hunter brought his rifle to school to show the principal (who was also an avid hunter). I worked one class period in the office, and was there when he brought the gun in and laid it on his desk. The principal was impressed, and they had a short conversation about hunting and where they would go, etc.
Times have changed, though!!
Granny Bear Wrote:I think you've made several very valid points here!
Tell you something that I saw one time. When I was in junior high, a student who was an avid hunter brought his rifle to school to show the principal (who was also an avid hunter). I worked one class period in the office, and was there when he brought the gun in and laid it on his desk. The principal was impressed, and they had a short conversation about hunting and where they would go, etc.
Times have changed, though!!

I did the exact same thing when I was in 6th grade one time Granny. My dad had one of those Winchester .30-.30 Commemorative rifles, and I took it to school for show and tell day one time. Of course that was probably back in about 1969. And this was in OHIO
Bob Seger Wrote:I did the exact same thing when I was in 6th grade one time Granny. My dad had one of those Winchester .30-.30 Commemorative rifles, and I took it to school for show and tell day one time. Of course that was probably back in about 1969. And this was in OHIO

We all had guns in our trucks and that was three years ago.
You know something, even NOW in Harlan County, I saw several pick up trucks parked on the side of the road on the first day of deer season. Most had either guns propped up in them or empty gun racks in the window.
Bob Seger Wrote:I did the exact same thing when I was in 6th grade one time Granny. My dad had one of those Winchester .30-.30 Commemorative rifles, and I took it to school for show and tell day one time. Of course that was probably back in about 1969. And this was in OHIO

I graduated from Clay County High School in 1979. During squirrel and rabbit season there were several pickups in the school parking lot that had guns in the back window gun racks, mine was one of them. On several occaisions the principal, athletic director and teachers would not only ask me what kind of gun I was hunting with, but walked down to my truck to give it a look. Boxes of shells would be in the front seat. Not one time did a school shooting enter our minds. Why is it so different today?
Another statement that was made by Gov. Huckabee was that one hug to a person who has suffered a terrible loss is worth more than two dozen prayers. I know for a fact that that is true.

And, on another note, if we could trade New York City, San Francisco, Chicago, Hollywood, and Washington, DC for a few more counties like Harlan County and Clay County, this would be a far better country.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:Another statement that was made by Gov. Huckabee was that one hug to a person who has suffered a terrible loss is worth more than two dozen prayers. I know for a fact that that is true.

Awww. this makes me want to hug you NOW!

And, on another note, if we could trade New York City, San Francisco, Chicago, Hollywood, and Washington, DC for a few more counties like Harlan County and Clay County, this would be a far better country.

Well I agree but I'm biased toward mountain people. There are the strangest, weirdest, most sensitive and helpful people on earth.
judgementday Wrote:Huckabee has made a number of statements about what has happened, one that stood out to me was when talking about when he was in school. He said students, teachers, other staff members always had guns in their cars. Typically a gun rack in their truck. Many would go hunting before and after school. Not one time did a school shooting happen.

Another comment that sticks out to me (not said by Huckabee) was that we pay for armed protection to the president, various politicians, and even have armed guards protect gold. Is our children not more important and shouldn't they receive the same protection?

This school was in a state with the toughest gun laws and most advanced security system and he was still able to do what he intended.

IMO, had there been an armed guard standing watch, he may not have even made it past the front door.

My sons elementary and middle school would/have local police on site during drop off and pick up...not sure if they are on site throughout the course of the day.

On topic but a different angle...my wife told me about the teacher, Victoria Soto, who hid all of her kids in cabinets and closets, when the gunman entered her classroom she told him her kids where in the gym. Those were her last words. All of her kids are alive as a result of her heroism.

I don't know about you all, this has to be about one of the most courageous acts I've ever heard of. She made the ultimate sacrifice for her students. Typically we bestow medals for similar acts of courage in war time. My question is this....this teacher and hero needs our honor...what is the highest honor a civilian in the US can be awarded? Because she should be recognized.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi