Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who was the cockiest fan base on BGR this year???
mysonis55 Wrote:Middlesboro, let me tell you about cocky. Back in 1998 we were playing some team from the east. This team wore black & gold. This team didn't appear in any way to have a chance against our 14-0 cardinals. I was pretty darn certain that we were gonna wear them out. There was a newspaper writer on the sidelines, which is where I was. I got to talking to him and asked where he was from. When he told me that he wrote for the newspaper there I opened my mouth. I said, "So you are the one that gets to bring the bad news back". He said what do you mean? I said yall don't have enough speed to handle us. He said "them are the fastest boys you ever seen". I understood when we were down 33-7. I won't tell where this team was from but it started with an M

:thatsfunn

Beechwood fans said the same thing earlier that season when they arrived in Middlesboro.

Cocky? You want to talk about flat out good.

If I remember correctly, those Mayfield fans talked that talk but didn't talk too long. Wink

Thanks for bringing that up, pal. Good times. :biggrin:
Well thats part of it. If you are gonna talk it, sometimes you gotta be ready to take it on the chin. That team yall had that year was really good. We were cruising right along that year. I didn't think there could possibly be another 1a team that could handle us that year. Just like last year, I didn't think any way in heck that Hazard could have. It just goes to show you, no matter how big and tough you are, if you keep looking you may just find someone that is that much bigger and tougher. What has happened to you guys though. I keep looking for you all and Danville to break out each year and I get disappointed every year here lately. I by no means mean that to sound like I am poking at you. I really do expect that out of yall. I was really surprised at Danville not getting past Frankfort and Somerset this year. I know in the Frankfort game they had just lost their qb, but they made silly mistakes. Well I guess, better luck to you guys next year.
mysonis55 Wrote:Well thats part of it. If you are gonna talk it, sometimes you gotta be ready to take it on the chin. That team yall had that year was really good. We were cruising right along that year. I didn't think there could possibly be another 1a team that could handle us that year. Just like last year, I didn't think any way in heck that Hazard could have. It just goes to show you, no matter how big and tough you are, if you keep looking you may just find someone that is that much bigger and tougher. What has happened to you guys though. I keep looking for you all and Danville to break out each year and I get disappointed every year here lately. I by no means mean that to sound like I am poking at you. I really do expect that out of yall. I was really surprised at Danville not getting past Frankfort and Somerset this year. I know in the Frankfort game they had just lost their qb, but they made silly mistakes. Well I guess, better luck to you guys next year.

Well pal, eastern Kentucky football isn't near what it used to be. I don't know what's happened but it has slowly tapered off. Hazard, Belfry, and Bell County are about the only teams that show they're capable to compete for state titles in their respective classes in the last few years.

Prestonsburg made a run in 2009 to the final four but couldn't get past Louisville DeSales. Breathitt County beats up on teams from the Mountains but can't ever get over the hump of beating Belfry. Johnson Central had some teams that could've competed if they weren't in a class with Highlands.

That Middlesboro team was special, though. One of the best teams I have ever seen from the Mountains. Since that team, Middlesboro hasn't had a whole lot.

Mayfield always is a contender. I will give you that. I'm sure they'll be ready to repeat next season.
MiddlesboroAlumni Wrote:Well pal, eastern Kentucky football isn't near what it used to be. I don't know what's happened but it has slowly tapered off. Hazard, Belfry, and Bell County are about the only teams that show they're capable to compete for state titles in their respective classes in the last few years.

Prestonsburg made a run in 2009 to the final four but couldn't get past Louisville DeSales. Breathitt County beats up on teams from the Mountains but can't ever get over the hump of beating Belfry. Johnson Central had some teams that could've competed if they weren't in a class with Highlands.

That Middlesboro team was special, though. One of the best teams I have ever seen from the Mountains. Since that team, Middlesboro hasn't had a whole lot.

Mayfield always is a contender. I will give you that. I'm sure they'll be ready to repeat next season.

Middlesboro had a very good team in 2003...they just ran into a buzzsaw from Belfry. The Yellowjackets had a solid defense that year with two very good LB's. Due to talent pool and issues on the staff that was really the last very good Mboro team.

Pburg had some very strong teams in the early 2000's... they just had the misfortune of having unstoppable forces in their way (Boyle County, Bardstown, Belfry). The Blackcats have been a Top 5-Top 10 2A team ever since..but the talent pool has been a bit down. They are extremely young though so better days are ahead.

Sheldon Clark, Rockcastle County, Lawrence County, and Pikeville are the primary noticable drops that have hurt EKY.

SC was very strong under Matney and have had a handful of very good teams under Hager, but in the past couple seasons they have been way down.

Rockcastle has not bounced back from Larkey leaving... in the early 2000's they were on par with some of the state's elite teams.

Lawrence County made a huge rise under Chuke Williams, but in the wake of coaching turnover and a down talent pool the Bulldogs have fallen off.... their future is looking brighter though.

Pikeville is the most noticeable, for years they were in elite company with Beechwood, NewCath, and Mayfield. The Panthers are on the road to regaining form as now that Coach McNamee is a fixture their feeder program is back humming along.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Middlesboro had a very good team in 2003...they just ran into a buzzsaw from Belfry. The Yellowjackets had a solid defense that year with two very good LB's. Due to talent pool and issues on the staff that was really the last very good Mboro team.

Pburg had some very strong teams in the early 2000's... they just had the misfortune of having unstoppable forces in their way (Boyle County, Bardstown, Belfry). The Blackcats have been a Top 5-Top 10 2A team ever since..but the talent pool has been a bit down. They are extremely young though so better days are ahead.

Sheldon Clark, Rockcastle County, Lawrence County, and Pikeville are the primary noticable drops that have hurt EKY.

SC was very strong under Matney and have had a handful of very good teams under Hager, but in the past couple seasons they have been way down.

Rockcastle has not bounced back from Larkey leaving... in the early 2000's they were on par with some of the state's elite teams.

Lawrence County made a huge rise under Chuke Williams, but in the wake of coaching turnover and a down talent pool the Bulldogs have fallen off.... their future is looking brighter though.

Pikeville is the most noticeable, for years they were in elite company with Beechwood, NewCath, and Mayfield. The Panthers are on the road to regaining form as now that Coach McNamee is a fixture their feeder program is back humming along.

Danville in 2001 beat the Blackcats in the state championship.

Good stuff other than that. :Thumbs:
Danville and NewCath played in 1A in 2001. Pburg was in AA.
Lets do cockiest posters that disappeared from the planet. I nominate WideMiddle03 and TomcatPride.
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:Lets do cockiest posters that disappeared from the planet. I nominate WideMiddle03 and TomcatPride.

I will second this nomination given that I ended up having conflicts with both. :HitWall:
30 going on 40 Wrote:Danville and NewCath played in 1A in 2001. Pburg was in AA.

Pardon me. That was Bardstown that beat Prestonsburg in 2001.

I apologize.
MiddlesboroAlumni Wrote:Pardon me. That was Bardstown that beat Prestonsburg in 2001.

I apologize.

Pburg only had one other loss that year.
I wonder who that was to?

:pondering:

We have a mod on this site who was part of the winning team:biggrin:
Patchy boy was a lame one man fan base against Fairview. Congrats to him now all of Westwood hates him along with the rest of Boyd County.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Pburg only had one other loss that year.
I wonder who that was to?

:pondering:

We have a mod on this site who was part of the winning team:biggrin:

I had forgotten about that.

Your Colonels did get lucky that year, didn't they? :biggrin:
Clint Westwood Wrote:Patchy boy was a lame one man fan base against Fairview. Congrats to him now all of Westwood hates him along with the rest of Boyd County.

Man, glad that I am on your mind so much. I never came on here and said a single thing on here about you clitty or your westweed hoodys. But I am FAR from the only one that comes on here and says that Fairview is out of bounds on what they do there. Quit stressing so much, you know that there will be replacements for what you guys lost, so when you make another run south on 23 and are bored just think about how next year you will have some new kids who will be breaking more rules and if the KHSAA rules against those transfers then you can just go whine to a judge who adores Fairview like you all did this year. Clitty, keep me out of your posts and I will not respond to them or put you in mine.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:I had forgotten about that.

Your Colonels did get lucky that year, didn't they? :biggrin:

Its funny when your 330 pound offensive tackle kicks a 44 yard field goal for the win Confusednicker:

Great game to be apart of.