Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlands vs. Collins (4A State Championship) 11/30
sawmill Wrote:Now thats some fth class. An to say lex cath has no class.

Sawmill you really shouldnt bring up class. I really dont know if ive ever read posts with less class or intellect than from the ole sawmill.

I know you hate Highlands but the birds set the bar when it comes to football and class.
Tommy2tone Wrote:I wouldn't argue that. Collins D will have to step it up. They have done that the last couple of games, but it hasn't been against the caliber of a team such as HHS. BUT, that is why we play the games. Lets be for real here, this is the first trip to the finals for most everyone envlolved with MLC program. This is just another learning experience for everyone and an accomplishment to these guys for starting a program. When they make it back next year, it will be another story and mark it down, they will be back next year. Don't get me wrong, the TITANS are just not going to show up and say they played there. THEY ARE GOING TO PLAY TO WIN.

I have a question for you. Do you feel that Collins would have made it to the finals in the 4 class system? I only ask this because I feel that more teams are exposed to the playoffs and championships due to the 6 classes which in turn encourages football in Kentucky.

Many feel that it waters it down and that now "everyone" gets a trophy. Do you feel like "everyone " gets a trophy?

Sorry if I'm straying from the thread and I hope everyone else will stay on track , but felt that I needed to ask this question.

To add to this, Copper from Northern Kentucky is also a team that is very new and first year at state. Very exciting for them.
It is exciting for everyone and who cares that 12 teams are going. Even back in the 4A day they always had the 4A Jefferson County Winner...sooooo guess you could call that 5 classes back then.
Wise one Wrote:I would hope that the Collins players, coaches and fans come to PLAY TO WIN. That is what it is all about. I hope they come and play their hearts out and leave it all on the field. They should leave with no regrets. The Highlands players, coaches and fans should expect nothing less from Collins. Collins should show no mercy to Highlands, for that would be an insult to the players, coaches and fans of Highlands.

Just remember, Highlands is coming to PLAY TO WIN also. That is what it is all about. I hope they come and play their hearts out and leave it all on the field. They should leave with no regrets. The Collins players, coaches and fans should expect nothing less from Highlands. Highlands should show no mercy to Collins, for that would be an insult to the players, coaches and fans of Collins.

May the best team win.

I think you took my post a little wrong. What I was saying that HHS is used to all the going on with the State Championship. This is all new to the Collins kids. Another learning experience for them. Collins is planning on winning this game. This game could have both teams in the 40's.
Tommy2tone Wrote:I think you took my post a little wrong. What I was saying that HHS is used to all the going on with the State Championship. This is all new to the Collins kids. Another learning experience for them. Collins is planning on winning this game. [COLOR="Blue"]This game could have both teams in the 40's.
[/COLO

They have played better teams and not given up 40 and have scored more than 40 (61 last week against LC). I do think Collins puts some points on the board (will also score against our subs),But I do not think they score more than 21. Highlands I expect to put up points in the 50's. Collins would not want to get is a shooting match with Highlands O, they have to make some big stops on D to have any chance.
Highlands 49
Collins 14
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
birdman44 Wrote:Collins seems like a bunch of tough, skilled young guys. I think it will take a crazy long shot for this team to hang the whole game with Highlands though.

I noticed on KHSAA that their rushing and receiving leaders are also tackle and interception leaders. I salute Collins for running both ways with young guns and gettn to the show. but they cant do that against Highlands. Ashland was a great team, but they started 8-9 guys both ways and it was just too much. Highlands is 2 platoon, and deep on both platoons. everyone is fresh after the game. If Collins has a thunderous FB type of RB they can hang into the second half, thats the Highlands weak-spot.

Seriously watch out for Collins next year though. doesnt look like they graduate that much and theyve accomplished a lot as a junior heavy team.

Skill players going both ways for Collins:

3 Masai Whyte OFF: RB, DEF: LB Jr.
7 Isaiah Jones OFF: WR, DEF: DB Jr.
8 Logan Bailey OFF: RB,DEF: DB, Sr.
15 Landon Forrest OFF: WR,DEF: DB, Jr.
22 Deandre Farris OFF: RB,DEF: DB, Jr.
85 Nathan Sames OFF: WR, DEF: DB Jr.
Blau Vogel Wrote:Skill players going both ways for Collins:

That is a lot of skill players to be going both ways against Highlands. Farris will be doing a lot of running on D and will have an effect on his O game.
Tommy2tone Wrote:I think you took my post a little wrong. What I was saying that HHS is used to all the going on with the State Championship. This is all new to the Collins kids. Another learning experience for them. Collins is planning on winning this game. This game could have both teams in the 40's.

No, I did not take your post wrong. I just wanted to point out that once the game has started, both sides will be "IN IT TO WIN IT," neither side needs to show any mercy to the other side or expect any mercy from the other until the final gun. That is what the game is about.

Six players going both ways is a lot, especially for a 4A club going against a team that has no player going both ways like Highlands.

I can see it now, Highlands wins the coin toss and takes the ball. Then McCoy throwing long on their first play from scrimmage, just to make Jones, Bailey, Farris, Forrest and Sames run the field. If it is incomplete, repeat on second and possible third downs. Those will be tired DBs before Collins has a chance to the get ball on O.
I just wish there was a 4a team with the same high powered O as HHS. Highlands D can give up points and they have given up 7 kick returns for tds. Highlands weakness is their D and special teams. Still think HHS wins big but they need to upgrade their defensive coaching staff.
Wise one Wrote:Six players going both ways is a lot, especially for a 4A club going against a team that has no player going both ways like Highlands.

I can see it now, Highlands wins the coin toss and takes the ball. Then McCoy throwing long on their first play from scrimmage, just to make Jones, Bailey, Farris, Forrest and Sames run the field. If it is incomplete, repeat on second and possible third downs. Those will be tired DBs before Collins has a chance to the get ball on O.

That is what the did to Ashland. Their game plan looked to be wearing out the 2 way players in the first quarter.
Highlands O gives the D no time to rest and very little time to sub. They do not huddle and all 11 players sprint to line after each play, subs run in as soon as whistle blows. It is a fun O to watch.

Isaiah does not play on offense. His twin brother Elijah will line up as a WR occasionally, but he has only caught 1 pass the whole year and probably won't be used as a receiver Friday. However, the other 5 do play both ways and are key players on offense and defense.
Highlands will have a harder time scoring in warmups than on Collins.
Looks like this one is over by halftime. What a shame.:zzz:
blue1424 Wrote:Isaiah does not play on offense. His twin brother Elijah will line up as a WR occasionally, but he has only caught 1 pass the whole year and probably won't be used as a receiver Friday. However, the other 5 do play both ways and are key players on offense and defense.

Ya made have to do more research, darn it. According to stats reported to KHSAA, the following are showing stats on both sides of the ball.

6 Elijah Jones OFF: WR, DEF: DB Jr.
12 Jordan Parker OFF: WR, DEF: DB Jr.
31 Antuan Wells OFF: RB, DEF: LB So.
54 Kris Jones OFF: OL, DEF: DL Jr.

http://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/kh...ts_37582_0
Canes Wrote:I just wish there was a 4a team with the same high powered O as HHS. Highlands D can give up points and they have given up 7 kick returns for tds. Highlands weakness is their D and special teams. Still think HHS wins big but they need to upgrade their defensive coaching staff.

Impressive thought for your second post on the board!

Defensive Coordinator Brian Weinrich is credited with assembling some of the finest defenses in the state during his tenure at Highlands. You obviously have no historical perspective on Highlands' defense, or you would not have made such a remark.

Looking forward to your next gem!Confusednicker:
I agree with sstack and birdman. Watching the bluebirds play Ashland, I had some hope for the tomcats in the first half as they were up 13-8 with 1:54 to play in the half. The problem for the tomcats was the two-platoon system and quick-paced offense. Tomcat players were gassed at beginning of second quarter despite the fact that Ashland had very good conditioning. Had 8 kids starting both ways. With no disrespect to Collins, I don't see how they will have the horses to hang around in second half even if they can hang around in the first half. Keep in mind that HHS thumped Scott County. Scott County lost by a TD to Trinity. The one real weakness for HHS, IMO, is the trainers getting water to the players quick enough. I think this could be done several second faster. Maybe they can work on that tonight and tomorrow. HHS 68 Collins 20.
Canes Wrote:I just wish there was a 4a team with the same high powered O as HHS. Highlands D can give up points and they have given up 7 kick returns for tds. Highlands weakness is their D and special teams. Still think HHS wins big but they need to upgrade their defensive coaching staff.

That is exactly what I am talking about. Collins has a High Powered O and very respectful special team play.
Blau Vogel Wrote:Ya made have to do more research, darn it. According to stats reported to KHSAA, the following are showing stats on both sides of the ball.

6 Elijah Jones OFF: WR, DEF: DB Jr.
12 Jordan Parker OFF: WR, DEF: DB Jr.
31 Antuan Wells OFF: RB, DEF: LB So.
54 Kris Jones OFF: OL, DEF: DL Jr.

http://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/kh...ts_37582_0

They get plenty of blows, it will depend on what set Collins is running. Wells is the one you really should watch. I think he could be a distance runner.
I stand by my comment about HHS weakness this year. If the O struggles and Collins can get a couple special team scores it could be interesting. Look at the points HHS gave up to good teams this year. When someone in 4a steps up and goes toe to toe with them we will see how good that D really is.
“This is our first state final, and we’re excited to play a team with the tradition Highlands has,” Lucas said.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/2...ext%7CHome

It was not until recently that the Highlands Bluebirds football team heard about the Collins Titans.

http://www.fortthomasmatters.com/2012/11...-game.html

It’s beginning to look a lot like Friday Night Lights out at Collins High School.

http://www.sentinelnews.com/content/coll...t-lifetime
Blau Vogel Wrote:“This is our first state final, and we’re excited to play a team with the tradition Highlands has,” Lucas said.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/2...ext%7CHome

It was not until recently that the Highlands Bluebirds football team heard about the Collins Titans.

http://www.fortthomasmatters.com/2012/11...-game.html

It’s beginning to look a lot like Friday Night Lights out at Collins High School.

http://www.sentinelnews.com/content/coll...t-lifetime
It's "lights out" alright.
Due to a death in the family, Dale Mueller (Highlands Head Coach) will not be coaching this game. Please keep him and is family in your prayers this week.
prayers for his family, what a shame. At this point the game plan is already set and each team is going to line up and do what it does best so I don't think the outcome will change do to it. I think many teams underestimate the defense because the offense is so good it does put them on the field alot and into the spotlight. The reason highlands is so good season after season is how the starters are pulled in so many games giving others the impression that our defense is vulnerable. I don't think the starters give up more than 2 td's in this game and they play into the 4th as their reward instaed of being yanked in the 3rd...change of defensive coaching staff...give me a break. Can't wait to see how that impressive O and special team stacks up...or tries to keep up. Good luck collins, congrats for a good year, and hope to see you there next year GO BIRDS :1:
“Those are Mr. Kentucky Football kind of numbers,” coach Dale Mueller said. “He has a 63 percent completion rate, and over 25 rushes per game against CovCath twice and LexCath, with an average of seven yards per carry.”

http://nky.cincinnati.com/article/AB/20121129/SPT030201/311290134/Bluebirds-seek-6th-consecutive-title?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CSports&nclick_check=1
"Highlands, what a machine," he (Lucas) said. "You're not going to beat them 14-12, so you have to score some points and somehow limit their possessions."

http://www.kentucky.com/2012/11/29/24256...ss-4a.html
i think the defense speaks for itself with tonigh't shutout. go red dog, congrats on 22nd and 6th straight
Canes Wrote:I stand by my comment about HHS weakness this year. If the O struggles and Collins can get a couple special team scores it could be interesting. Look at the points HHS gave up to good teams this year. When someone in 4a steps up and goes toe to toe with them we will see how good that D really is.

Tommy2tone Wrote:That is exactly what I am talking about. Collins has a High Powered O and very respectful special team play.

Confusedhh: