Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newport Central Catholic @ Somerset 11/23
Shondue Wrote:I heard the game is at 7:00pm not 7:30pm. Anybody else hear this or can confirm?

That is correct and confirmed.
Well in this one, home field does not have that much of an advantage. New Cath will bring a load of people. You may wind up with more breds fans than jumpers fans. I will be totally surprised if the jumpers advance in this one. Good luck and may you all play injury free.
mysonis55 Wrote:Well in this one, home field does not have that much of an advantage. New Cath will bring a load of people. You may wind up with more breds fans than jumpers fans. I will be totally surprised if the jumpers advance in this one. Good luck and may you all play injury free.

I actually see this as a pretty even matchup if both teams come to play. Where do u believe ncc has the significant advantage that u are willing to bet the house on? I'm not saying they're not a very good football team but both seem to have hit their stride.
I'm not real smart but you can't convince me that the Home Field has no Advantage. No Coach wants to load 40 + kids on a Bus, Ride 2 and 1/2 hrs. and put up with all the problems with travel when they can stay home and play in familier surroundings.The fan's, if nothing else, don't want to drive 5 Hrs. (both ways) spend 60 bucks on gass and 40 on food to play on Road if they could stay Home. So Sat. Morning when Somerset Wins, don't get on here and say they Won because they were at home. Because some of you feel it is to no advantage to be playing at HOME!!!! This will be a good Football Game. Enjoy it!!!
Cellking Wrote:I'm not real smart but you can't convince me that the Home Field has no Advantage. No Coach wants to load 40 + kids on a Bus, Ride 2 and 1/2 hrs. and put up with all the problems with travel when they can stay home and play in familier surroundings.The fan's, if nothing else, don't want to drive 5 Hrs. (both ways) spend 60 bucks on gass and 40 on food to play on Road if they could stay Home. So Sat. Morning when Somerset Wins, don't get on here and say they Won because they were at home. Because some of you feel it is to no advantage to be playing at HOME!!!! This will be a good Football Game. Enjoy it!!!

I see what you are saying, but if you are going to be a state championship team, you have to win hours away from home regardless. As for the fans, the majority of them will charter buses and not drive at all. In fact, they'll be in "jovial" moods as they arrive in Somerset. You forget, the majority of the starters drove to Corbin and then to Bowling Green in back to back weeks just 2 years ago. This isn't foreign territory.
Buffalo Bildos Wrote:You might have seen Caldwell, have you seen Danville? If you have, you would understand where im coming from.

I've seen them both this year. Caldwell's skill players are just as fast, maybe quicker than Danville, and Caldwell's QB is head and shoulders better than Danville's. The line, that would be a toss up possibly Danville's maybe a little better but Caldwell's is pretty daggone good.
mysonis55 Wrote:New Cath will bring a load of people. You may wind up with more breds fans than jumpers fans. I will be totally surprised if the jumpers advance in this one.

I'm sure that NCC fans travel well but don't think they will have more fans than Somerset. I expect several Pulaski and Southwestern fans to be in attandence supporting the Jumpers.
First off, I didn't say anything that should be taken as though I meant to demean your team. NCC is not my team. I simply know how they travel and the experience they have at that. Yes the drive is something nobody wants to have to do. Other than that there is no home field advantage to a team like this. I can tell you unless it is like my team has to do which is a 5 plus hour trip, then teams that are used to doing this enjoy it actually. I road the fan bus to Bwood two years ago, people on there were partying all the way there and for about the first hour or so on the way back. They actually enjoyed the ride and most of them are doing it again. The kids enjoy it because they get to do things they normally wouldn't. They go to malls, movies or other things, instead of setting around the house for another day. I'm sorry if I offended you or anyone else. I guess as a friend of mine would say, "we can just agree to disagree on this matter". I really do not think NCC is gonna let your defense dictate what they do in this game. I expect that NCC will score more points in this game than Somerset has given up in any game yet this year.
mysonis55 Wrote:I expect that NCC will score more points in this game than Somerset has given up in any game yet this year.

NCC may very well score in the neighborhood of 24, but on the other hand Somerset's offense is finally clicking together. Either way this game will not be even close to a blowout by either team. If Somerset can limit the turnovers or even some of the mistakes on our side of the field, then I like our chances. I don't have the stats but I would be curious to know how many actual TD's Somerset has given up from an actual sustained drive from the opponent. In several games, including Danville's only TD last week, Somerset gave them a very, very short field.
Somerset has been in this same semi final for four years now. They are 1 and 2. Their win was at home and both losses on the road. They had the unfortunate circumstances with district realignment of having to travel the last two years for the semi finals which is not suppose to happen. Two years ago they got beat at Belfry and last year got beat by Holycross. I imagine the bus ride was tough so I think the advantage here goes to Somerset with them playing at home. They did make it to the state finals once and got beat by Pad tighlman. So this is a very experienced group. I believe their record is 40 something and 8 or 9 in the last four years so they will certainly be no pushover. As for Caldwell county's speed-I am also a track official and I didnt see them at the state track meet last spring so do their fast guys not run track? I saw Somerset finish high as a team and the Chevraunt kid (WR) finished third in the 100 and the Lange kid (RB) finished 5th in the 200 - both as Sophmores! So I am pretty sure Somerset can match anyones speed. I also went to several college combines including UK. The Lange kid had the second fastest 40 (4.51) that day behind the kid from Conner (Fogle) (4.48). I imagine losing the Hinton boy from the accident will hurt Somerset at LB because he ran a 4.6 that day. Oh well we will see.
Jumper, I hope you are right. As I said, I am not from NCC. We still kind of have a bad taste in our mouths from 2005. I just have been checking some things and some films. I really think this is going to be at least a 2 td game. If I am wrong, I will be fine with that. I am just stating an opinion. I am not trying to degrade your team. I am very surprised you guys have done what you have this year, that has to come from good coaching and intestinal fortitude. Good Luck and may you all play injury free and remember through God all things are possible.
jumper1 Wrote:NCC may very well score in the neighborhood of 24, but on the other hand Somerset's offense is finally clicking together. Either way this game will not be even close to a blowout by either team. If Somerset can limit the turnovers or even some of the mistakes on our side of the field, then I like our chances. I don't have the stats but I would be curious to know how many actual TD's Somerset has given up from an actual sustained drive from the opponent. In several games, including Danville's only TD last week, Somerset gave them a very, very short field.

2 Things for NewCath that you may have noticed.
A. They are turnover prone.
B. They have excellent return teams.

Which side of the spectrum comes to play will determine NewCath's success.
I'll be at the game. Go Jumpers!
Jumper Dad Wrote:Wish I had seen some of NCC's games this year. As of right now I have no idea how these teams match up.

Jumpers have played a pretty good schedule this year, but at times didn't look like they could score in a brothel.

NCC has also played a very good schedule and has scored 170 more points than Somerset has, so it doesn't seem as if scoring is an issue for them.

Looking forward to Friday night!!!
i honesty tink that somerset will beat them and it will be tied for a long time
Good luck to The Briar Jumpers. ( One of the most unique team mascots in Kentucky)
fast horse or fast rabbit?
Fear the Ears. Go Jumpers!! I'v looked at film for 40 years and I can tell you this. Half of NCC points come off Kick Returns, KO and Punt returns. I don't think that will happen aganist Somerset, if it does we will get beat. Last week aganist Walton if you Take away 3 kick returns for TD's and the Short field on a botched punt and this game is 21-14. Walton is not a good Football Team, had a Super year, but not a Good Team. Just MO.
I will be pulling for Somerset, but i think NCC wins the game.

NCC 29
Somerset 22

Prove me wrong Somerset. Please!
Cellking Wrote:Fear the Ears. Go Jumpers!! I'v looked at film for 40 years and I can tell you this. Half of NCC points come off Kick Returns, KO and Punt returns. I don't think that will happen aganist Somerset, if it does we will get beat. Last week aganist Walton if you Take away 3 kick returns for TD's and the Short field on a botched punt and this game is 21-14. Walton is not a good Football Team, had a Super year, but not a Good Team. Just MO.

Come on, man. Who says they don't drive down the field and score? Let's not have revisionist history. Don't forget that Hayes carried the ball FOUR times the whole game. Additionally, if NewCath doesn't fumble at the 2 or throw a pick six it is 35-0. You can't do if's and but's. You seem pretty nervous, you seem like you are trying to talk yourself into believing in the Briars. People who are confident don't throw out power rankings and the short field stuff. Only people trying to prove a point to themselves. 31-7 v Danville in the Regional Final should have been enough to solidify your faith.
30 going on 40 Wrote:Come on, man. Who says they don't drive down the field and score? Let's not have revisionist history. Don't forget that Hayes carried the ball FOUR times the whole game. Additionally, if NewCath doesn't fumble at the 2 or throw a pick six it is 35-0. You can't do if's and but's. You seem pretty nervous, you seem like you are trying to talk yourself into believing in the Briars. People who are confident don't throw out power rankings and the short field stuff. Only people trying to prove a point to themselves. 31-7 v Danville in the Regional Final should have been enough to solidify your faith.

31-7 aganist Danville was Great. I have all the Confidence in the World. I just hate to see fans think their Teams are world Beaters when they havn't beat anyone Except (Beechwood 62. PR) in last 9 Games. You know and I know those other 8 people you have whipped like a Red Headed Steptchild can't PLAY!!!:ChairHit:
Cellking Wrote:31-7 aganist Danville was Great. I have all the Confidence in the World. I just hate to see fans think their Teams are world Beaters when they havn't beat anyone Except (Beechwood 62. PR) in last 9 Games. You know and I know those other 8 people you have whipped like a Red Headed Steptchild can't PLAY!!!:ChairHit:

Newcath has not beat a decent team. They've lost to some sorry teams. They have zero quality wins.
30 going on 40 Wrote:Come on, man. Who says they don't drive down the field and score? Let's not have revisionist history. Don't forget that Hayes carried the ball FOUR times the whole game. Additionally, if NewCath doesn't fumble at the 2 or throw a pick six it is 35-0. You can't do if's and but's. You seem pretty nervous, you seem like you are trying to talk yourself into believing in the Briars. People who are confident don't throw out power rankings and the short field stuff. Only people trying to prove a point to themselves. 31-7 v Danville in the Regional Final should have been enough to solidify your faith.

I never said a Dang thing about NCC not being able to Drive the Football and score. I said half of their TD's have come off of Kick Returns. I agree power ratings are not always right, but after a season of work and a power rating of 43 and below it means you can't play with the Big Boys. All 8 of NCC last oponnets have a power rating below 43, so they can't play.Confusedinglepar
This will be my last post on this thread!!!

If the score is below 20 for both teams i like somerset
If the score is in the 20's up for grabs
If NCC score 30 or more NCC wins.

I dont know who comes out victories on the run game.
NCC is a strong run team, somerset is a strong Def run stoping team
I like the speed of chevraunt at (WR)
I like the all around skills of Franzen (WR)
I like the Passing of Cain
The Freshman give Somerset a better Passing game
I like the Dline of Somerset
I like the LB's of NCC
I like Hayes at RB
I like the size of Somersets Oline
Im telling you this could be a tight game or 3 score victory with it going anyway.
Wideleft01 Wrote:Newcath has not beat a decent team. They've lost to some sorry teams. They have zero quality wins.

Always count on Wideleft to be a NewCath hater Smile
Bottom line here: NewCath is a VERY good football team. NCC is probably the best team the Jumpers have faced outside of maybe Breathitt County who I believe had a lot of weapons anchored by Richard Trent. The Jumpers have earned another 48 minutes, and all the talk and speculation is just that... Talk and speculation. Fortunately, for both parties, the game is played between the lines. Hope the Jumpers have a great week of practice and have an understanding of the opportunity before them. Coach Lucas puts a great deal of emphasis on playing every possible second with his senior classes, and hopefully the Jumpers give him this opportunity. The family and closeness of this Jumper team took a while to establish, and there were some growing pains, but this group has become very special to this community. Enjoy every last second Jumpers! If SHS plays clean football (no stupid penalties and turnovers) this will be an outstanding ball game.
Cellking Wrote:I never said a Dang thing about NCC not being able to Drive the Football and score. I said half of their TD's have come off of Kick Returns. I agree power ratings are not always right, but after a season of work and a power rating of 43 and below it means you can't play with the Big Boys. All 8 of NCC last oponnets have a power rating below 43, so they can't play.Confusedinglepar

I have watched NewCath for over 20 years. I have seen 3 of their state championship teams and 4 of their state runner ups. You get a sense of how good a team is. This team has all of the pieces that you need in a championship team. I don't care who they lost to in the beginning of the year. All that did was build depth as injured starters sat. They may get crushed on Friday, but that doesn't change my opinion that this team has what it takes. They have a stud RB who would have started for any team in NKY, a good QB, a very explosive WR with a solid, not great, but very solid OLine. They have an athletic D-Line. Is this team as dominate as the team that won two years ago? No. That team was stupid talented. This team isn't good enough to overcome a 2 turnover plus deficit. They are, however, as good as the teams that I watched get to state title games. That's what I'm judging this off of. I trust my eyes much more than I trust a mathematical formula.
Wideleft01 Wrote:Newcath has not beat a decent team. They've lost to some sorry teams. They have zero quality wins.

So what? They're in the state semi-finals. If they win this week and next they'll be state champs. Who cares about quality wins at that point? This isn't the BCS.
30 going on 40 Wrote:So what? They're in the state semi-finals. If they win this week and next they'll be state champs. Who cares about quality wins at that point? This isn't the BCS.

I agree with you here. I think both teams are riding high on 7 game win streaks, and both should be confident going into Friday. NCC lost to very good competition for the most part (not sure about Holmes but according to KHSAA the game was called early). Both teams have had ups and downs and are the top two teams in 2a in my opinion. The Jumpers are thankful for their next 48 minutes and hopefully they take advantage of the opportunity they have before them.
JumperPride1 Wrote:I agree with you here. I think both teams are riding high on 7 game win streaks, and both should be confident going into Friday. NCC lost to very good competition for the most part (not sure about Holmes but according to KHSAA the game was called early). Both teams have had ups and downs and are the top two teams in 2a in my opinion. The Jumpers are thankful for their next 48 minutes and hopefully they take advantage of the opportunity they have before them.

In the past, NewCath would have beaten McNick, SK, and Holmes. CC this year did not match up well. Their QB was a very good player. It wouldn't have been a 30 pt. loss though. This year, they started out slow and injured. Stuff happens. You improve as the year goes on. Sometimes that has a lot to do w/ who you play during the district. That is out of your control. All you can do is play to 100% of your capabilities as a team. That is what they are doing now. Whoever wins Friday will have earned it against a good team.
The Game time is 7:00.
I think NewCath was missing several key players for the first 5 games of the year. They are back now. You can't look at early season. They are not the same team.