Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Penn State get's hit hard
Mountaineer Man Wrote:The so called "Lack of Institutional Control" is such a blanket statement that can be applied to so many situations. Don't get me wrong, Penn St. should be punished, but according to what I have read, the football program generated enough money to fund every other sports program at Penn St. Now I wonder what happens to the women's volleyball team, women's lacrosse and men's, and all the other non-revenue sports?

I've stated this once and I'll state it again, Penn St. will probably never be relevant in my lifetime again, I'm not saying that's a bad thing.

However, where was the NCAA when the women's lacrosse player at UVA was killed my the men's lacrosse player, that UVA knew was stalking her? Was there no "Lack of institutional control" there?

Or what about the Duke men's lacrosse team that had a party where a women was raped, again was there no "lack of institutional control"?

What about the basketball player at Baylor who was killed by another player, was there no "lack of institutional control'?

Finally what about Bobby Petrino at Arkansas hiring his 20 year old girl friend, again was there no "lack of institutional control"?

I think the NCAA has opened a box that can not be closed now and they will have to police in area's they have no business to police.

With what happened at Penn St. when the courts are through with them, that would have been punishment enough. Remember we have not even heard of all the civil suits there is going to be.

I have heard this statement on BGR before and it is like comparing Chicken Salad to Monkey Nuts, they do not have anything in common other then a crime was committed. In all the cases you stated above, the institution or college was not knowingly involved in the criminal act. When each institution learned of the criminal act, they took the appropriate action. What part of "COVER-UP" do you guys not understand. Penn State officials and football staff intentionally and willfully committed a coverup of the criminal activities by a pedophile on their campus for a long period of time. The schools involved in the incidents you stated did not "knowingly" cover up anything. There are always going to be incidents of bad or criminal behavior. It is up to the institution to take the appropriate action. Penn State failed miserably in the worst kind of way and they deserved to be punished. You cannot compare this incident to anything else because there has been not a case at a school that I recall where a group of individuals hid the crimes of one of their coaches, for a long period of time, so their rich football tradition would not be tarnished. Now it is not only tarnished, it has turned to s@#t.
In the famous words of Lee Corso, "Not so fast my friend", maybe WE (that includes you and I) need to both take a long hard look at the cover-up that took place at Baylor. This is when Patrick Dennehy was murdered by Carlton Dotson, who for the record is serving a 35 year sentence.

Dave Bliss who was then the coach at Baylor the day after Dennehy funeral, Bliss met with the school investigators and was confronted with the fact that Bliss had paid for part of Dennehy and another players tuition that was not covered by their grant in aid. It was also later discovered that Bliss told his player to lie to investigators by telling them that Dennehy (A deceased player) that he had paid for part of his tuition by selling drugs. Amazingly these conversations were not in an email but on an audio tape. Bliss also threatened to fire an assistant coach if he didn't go along with it.

Now maybe this is comparing "Chicken Salad to Monkey Nuts" I don't know but in my book that qualifies as a "COVER-UP"!

One other thing that really bothers me about all of this case is this. Sandusky has had his day and he is going to spend the rest of his life behind bars and rightfully so. Graham Spanier is going to have his day in court, and no doubt will be spending some time in jail. Tim Curley is going to have his day in court, and no doubt will be spending some time in jail. Joe Pa will never have his day in court in the law of this land, however, I do believe he is being judged by a higher authority.

However, Mike McQueary who saw what was taking place in the shower, why did he not go to the authorities? Furthermore, why is he not being charged with a crime of not reporting it? I was under the impression (and I will take correction if I'm wrong) but if you see a crime of child abuse you are suppose to report it to the authorities?

Makes me wonder for sure.
Mountaineer Man Wrote:In the famous words of Lee Corso, "Not so fast my friend", maybe WE (that includes you and I) need to both take a long hard look at the cover-up that took place at Baylor. This is when Patrick Dennehy was murdered by Carlton Dotson, who for the record is serving a 35 year sentence.

Dave Bliss who was then the coach at Baylor the day after Dennehy funeral, Bliss met with the school investigators and was confronted with the fact that Bliss had paid for part of Dennehy and another players tuition that was not covered by their grant in aid. It was also later discovered that Bliss told his player to lie to investigators by telling them that Dennehy (A deceased player) that he had paid for part of his tuition by selling drugs. Amazingly these conversations were not in an email but on an audio tape. Bliss also threatened to fire an assistant coach if he didn't go along with it.

Now maybe this is comparing "Chicken Salad to Monkey Nuts" I don't know but in my book that qualifies as a "COVER-UP"!

One other thing that really bothers me about all of this case is this. Sandusky has had his day and he is going to spend the rest of his life behind bars and rightfully so. Graham Spanier is going to have his day in court, and no doubt will be spending some time in jail. Tim Curley is going to have his day in court, and no doubt will be spending some time in jail. Joe Pa will never have his day in court in the law of this land, however, I do believe he is being judged by a higher authority.

However, Mike McQueary who saw what was taking place in the shower, why did he not go to the authorities? Furthermore, why is he not being charged with a crime of not reporting it? I was under the impression (and I will take correction if I'm wrong) but if you see a crime of child abuse you are suppose to report it to the authorities?

In the famous words of Keith Jackson " Whoa Nellie". You are still comparing two cover-ups that have little in common. That cover-up was by one coach, not by multiple staff members. By your statement, it also appears that the school took the appropriate action and investigated him for which he was later fired. There was no decade long cover-up by multiple staff members of the University compared to Penn State. Actually the cover-up was probably twenty or thirty years. If Penn State would have taking the appropriate steps and made the report of child abuse, they wouldn't be in the position they are today. They would have received some bad publicity for a while, but it would eventually had blown over. IMO, JoePa, the athletic department and people in the State College community new about or had strong suspicions about Sanduskys lifestyle, but were too chicken$#@ to do anything about it. Football came first to them. I absolutely agree with what you are saying about McQueary as he should have been charged.
Love Keith Jackson and miss him on College football. With that being said, I agree that it was a decade long cover-up, and Baylor was not but maybe a year or two at best, but a cover-up nonetheless.

I also agree that "if" Penn St had taken the appropriate action they would not be in the position they are in, and I'm not sure if they would have received any negative publicity. "If" they had exposed Sandusky they would have been, what Jo Pa had said they were suppose to have been for year a program of a "Grand experience".

I also have to wonder if what was going on with Sandusky, which was in '98 and '01, if that is another reason why from about 2000-2004 Penn St. went through one of it's lowest points during Jo Pa's career there and there was talk of him being forced to resign.
Just sayin.
Mountaineer Man Wrote:Love Keith Jackson and miss him on College football. With that being said, I agree that it was a decade long cover-up, and Baylor was not but maybe a year or two at best, but a cover-up nonetheless.

I also agree that "if" Penn St had taken the appropriate action they would not be in the position they are in, and I'm not sure if they would have received any negative publicity. "If" they had exposed Sandusky they would have been, what Jo Pa had said they were suppose to have been for year a program of a "Grand experience".

I also have to wonder if what was going on with Sandusky, which was in '98 and '01, if that is another reason why from about 2000-2004 Penn St. went through one of it's lowest points during Jo Pa's career there and there was talk of him being forced to resign.
Just sayin.

I don't know. You could be on to something. Nobody will ever know the whole truth about this situation. If we did, it probably wouldn't shed a better light on Joe Paterno and Penn State.
Mountaineer Man Wrote:However, Mike McQueary who saw what was taking place in the shower, why did he not go to the authorities? Furthermore, why is he not being charged with a crime of not reporting it? I was under the impression (and I will take correction if I'm wrong) but if you see a crime of child abuse you are suppose to report it to the authorities?

statute of limitations has expired on the failure to report charge so McQueary will not be charged, he no longer works for Penn State and he plans on filing a 'whistleblower' suit against Penn State.
I have read very few posts in this topic, but my opinion is this. No one who is guilty in Sandusky's ridiculous, vulgar, and downright digusting crime is punished. The president and AD's will see their jail time, as will Sandusky, and Paterno is not with us anymore. However, the NCAA punished the name "Penn State" ... the players and fans had no part of this. The punishment is onto the wrong people. The postseason ban and scholarship losses negatively effects the kids as much as the university. Fine the shit out of them next time, but this is not either the player or fans fault. It's bad enough people scoff at anyone who is a PSU fan now. PSU didn't do anything. Spanier, Paterno, and Sandusky among others did. Maybe a proper punishment should have been more than half of profit from PSU football and bowl games be donated to good causes. Plus fines.

And call me crazy, and by no means did Joe Paterno do the right thing, but let's not act like he's such a bad person. Too often in the United States, you can do so many good things but do one bad one and everyone wants to shit on you. Do I support Paterno's decision and handling? GOD NO, but was he one of the greatest coaches of all time? Yes. Did he do alot of great things for alot of kids? Yes. I don't believe someone's reputation is completely thrashed by one bad event. Joe Paterno is the only man in this ENTIRE scandal to admit he was wrong, mind you. Bash me if you want, opinion stated.
Belfry0304 Wrote:I have read very few posts in this topic, but my opinion is this. No one who is guilty in Sandusky's ridiculous, vulgar, and downright digusting crime is punished. The president and AD's will see their jail time, as will Sandusky, and Paterno is not with us anymore. However, the NCAA punished the name "Penn State" ... the players and fans had no part of this. The punishment is onto the wrong people. The postseason ban and scholarship losses negatively effects the kids as much as the university. Fine the shit out of them next time, but this is not either the player or fans fault. It's bad enough people scoff at anyone who is a PSU fan now. PSU didn't do anything. Spanier, Paterno, and Sandusky among others did. Maybe a proper punishment should have been more than half of profit from PSU football and bowl games be donated to good causes. Plus fines.

And call me crazy, and by no means did Joe Paterno do the right thing, but let's not act like he's such a bad person. Too often in the United States, you can do so many good things but do one bad one and everyone wants to shit on you. Do I support Paterno's decision and handling? GOD NO, but was he one of the greatest coaches of all time? Yes. Did he do alot of great things for alot of kids? Yes. I don't believe someone's reputation is completely thrashed by one bad event. Joe Paterno is the only man in this ENTIRE scandal to admit he was wrong, mind you. Bash me if you want, opinion stated.

Good post although I do disagree with a good part of it. Any time punishment is handed down by the NCAA against a school for any reason, innocent players and fans take the brunt of it. Unfortunately that is how it works. Joe Paterno did admit to mistakes, but that was after the fact and that he was not criminally charged as the other individuals were so they are not able to make any statements until their trial. JoePa was protected by the system and by prosecutors because his grand jury testimony only lasted 8 minutes. I am sorry but something doesn't smell right. I have been on grand juries and I have testified in front of grand juries and 30 minutes on a case of this magnitude and longevity would be a very short time.
To be honest, who gives a crap anymore?
They got there punishment, it was a fair one, the dity bastard is in prison, and its almost football season, where penn state, with bans or not, will still suck.
There is no statute of limitations on a felony. This coverup went into the police as well no one is calling for their heads after they had the evidence to prosecute not once but twice. Joe Pa is a easy scapegoat in this situation, and the police have covered their asses by using him instead of admitting they screwed up.
There starting to lose recruits too

http://www.maxpreps.com/blogs/maxwire-na...lities.htm
FYI - Just recently found this out. Louis Freeh who is the one who did the investigation into all of this, does any know what he is infamous for?
Mountaineer Man Wrote:FYI - Just recently found this out. Louis Freeh who is the one who did the investigation into all of this, does any know what he is infamous for?

Which one......Ruby Ridge, Waco?
Anyone remember the Olympic bombing in Atlanta and a guy named Richard Jewell who discovered the bomb? It was our boy Freeh who said the Jewell was the one who placed the bomb there and destroyed Jewell's reputation. Now I'm asked to accept his report on Penn St. I don't think so!