Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 71 Shelby Valley 60
Hillbilly Heartthrob Wrote:Ok, now you're just getting smart***......the kids don't want to play for him, just as the parent above expressed.

No, I'm just being objective. I try to look at SV's team the same way an outsider would, and if that offends you, too bad. I don't just blindly say that they're the best team in the region simply because they are "Shelby Valley". And this year they are NOT the best team, nor were they last year.

Last year's team DID, however, win the games when it counted the most, and for that I give them all the credit in the world.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Never said the BEST team this year but they should def be inside the top 5, and as of now, They def are not. So, lets just see what the future holds. Only thing we can do anyway.
Hillbilly Heartthrob Wrote:Ok, now you're just getting smart***......the kids don't want to play for him, just as the parent above expressed.

And like I said earlier, I'm not trying to defend Greg. I'm not trying to say that he's a good or a bad coach. If you say the players don't like him, okay. I'm not saying you're wrong, I don't know if they do or not.

What I am saying is that it's not fair to judge him negatively if this year's team gets knocked out of the first round of district. The talent and experience is simply not enough to expect another run at the region.

Also, it's not fair to judge him compared to what the team was able to accomplish two years ago, which is exactly what another poster above did earlier. That was a TOTALLY different team, with WAY higher expectations. And before you think I'm knocking Booher, I'm not. I give him a ton of credit for winning the state title with a team that was extremely talented, but was certainly not the MOST talented team in Kentucky that year. Credit to him for getting the absolute most out of those boys.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:And like I said earlier, I'm not trying to defend Greg. I'm not trying to say that he's a good or a bad coach. If you say the players don't like him, okay. I'm not saying you're wrong, I don't know if they do or not.

What I am saying is that it's not fair to judge him negatively if this year's team gets knocked out of the first round of district. The talent and experience is simply not enough to expect another run at the region.

Also, it's not fair to judge him compared to what the team was able to accomplish two years ago, which is exactly what another poster above did earlier. That was a TOTALLY different team, with WAY higher expectations. And before you think I'm knocking Booher, I'm not. I give him a ton of credit for winning the state title with a team that was extremely talented, but was certainly not the MOST talented team in Kentucky that year. Credit to him for getting the absolute most out of those boys.

That's fine but I did not compare them.

and as an overall TEAM I do think they were the most talent team in Ky in 2010 but like you said those days are over. That team is gone and Booher is gone. Don't dwell on the past look forward.
Hillbilly Heartthrob Wrote:That's fine but I did not compare them.

and as an overall TEAM I do think they were the most talent team in Ky in 2010 but like you said those days are over. That team is gone and Booher is gone. Don't dwell on the past look forward.

I know you didn't compare them, another poster did. My original rebuttal was directed at them, not you.

We will just have to disagree on the 2010 team too. I think in terms of the collective talent level, they were easily top 10 in the state, but not #1. But they played together as a TEAM better than any high school team I have ever seen, and that, along with strong individual talent and good coaching, was enough to overcome other teams that may have had more talented players.

Anyway, as you said, we can now look forward. Hopefully if everyone stays together, in a couple of years we will have another group capable of winning region and competing down at Rupp. Then, if we are NOT playing up to our potential, the coach may have to bear some responsibility for that.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
If Reynolds had not played last year Pikeville would have been regional champs, so yes you have to have players.As for who is coming up, there are several players including Rowe that can play.
Why shouldn't Valley win. Plenty of regular season, district,regional,and state tournament experience. Plus all hold backs and physically mature. Should be no excuses for this team. Got as much or more experience than any team in the region.
Every team in the region is full of holdbacks.
Yes they do, but none with any more experience and tournament wins than Valley.
BlueSky Wrote:Why shouldn't Valley win. Plenty of regular season, district,regional,and state tournament experience. Plus all hold backs and physically mature. Should be no excuses for this team. Got as much or more experience than any team in the region.

BlueSky Wrote:Yes they do, but none with any more experience and tournament wins than Valley.

This is what I'm talking about. NO WAY should anyone be expecting Valley to win. Contrary to what you say, they do not have "as much or more" experience than any team in the region. You're talking about a team whose top 3 players are a sophomore and a couple of freshmen. I don't care if they did play in 3 regional tournament games last year, that doesn't make them more "experienced" than other teams filled with juniors and seniors.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:This is what I'm talking about. NO WAY should anyone be expecting Valley to win. Contrary to what you say, they do not have "as much or more" experience than any team in the region. You're talking about a team whose top 3 players are a sophomore and a couple of 8th graders. I don't care if they did play in 3 regional tournament games last year, that doesn't make them more "experienced" than other teams filled with juniors and seniors.

EXACTLY! Finally, someone with some damn sense...
Valley is just bad.
More Cowbell Wrote:I know you didn't compare them, another poster did. My original rebuttal was directed at them, not you.

We will just have to disagree on the 2010 team too. I think in terms of the collective talent level, they were easily top 10 in the state, but not #1. But they played together as a TEAM better than any high school team I have ever seen, and that, along with strong individual talent and good coaching, was enough to overcome other teams that may have had more talented players.

Anyway, as you said, we can now look forward. Hopefully if everyone stays together, in a couple of years we will have another group capable of winning region and competing down at Rupp. Then, if we are NOT playing up to our potential, the coach may have to bear some responsibility for that.
Cowbell has it right. Always difficult to follow a legend. However, I assume Cowbell has to live with the folks saying "won't play for him." If not, he would point out that parents
who don't publically support the coach are, in this case, setting up a self-fulfilling prophecy. Debating possible strategies in a specific way is one thing; saying "they won't
play for him" amounts to gossip. Parents and adults have a huge influence on high school players' motivation. It's the parents' responsibility to tell their kids to respect your coach and play hard. It's the only way hierarchal systems can succeed. Then, if the coach can't succeed, it becomes his fault, not the parents' fault. Hold your tongues, always support your coach, and then, if need be, you can fire him with a clear conscience.
I think Coach Newsome is a great basketball mind. Let face it though, his heart is not in it and the boys know it. He took the job as a favor to get his 100 day contract after he retired. If he would work half as hard as he did at playing golf and hunting this team would be a better team that plays hard. Kids pick up on the coaches work ethic. This team should be having tough practices every chance and that has not been the case this year. I hope that the kids can pull together and make it to the region again. Good luck to all teams.
elijah Wrote:Cowbell has it right. Always difficult to follow a legend. However, I assume Cowbell has to live with the folks saying "won't play for him." If not, he would point out that parents
who don't publically support the coach are, in this case, setting up a self-fulfilling prophecy. Debating possible strategies in a specific way is one thing; saying "they won't
play for him" amounts to gossip. Parents and adults have a huge influence on high school players' motivation. It's the parents' responsibility to tell their kids to respect your coach and play hard. It's the only way hierarchal systems can succeed. Then, if the coach can't succeed, it becomes his fault, not the parents' fault. Hold your tongues, always support your coach, and then, if need be, you can fire him with a clear conscience.

Haha, I don't have to live with anybody on here. At least not that I know of. I guess for all I know, somebody I'm arguing with might live right next door to me! :biggrin:

Anyway, I do agree with you on the coach part. As a player, even if you don't like your coach, it shouldn't affect how you play. If you go out and don't give the full effort, you're doing your own self a disservice, not to mention the rest of your teammates.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
If there is a change I think Donavan Little should be the next coach at SV.
Rumor is that Little will return to ER when Lemaster leaves.
I think Belfry will cause some heart break for someone in the regional tournament!!!
new o Wrote:Rumor is that Little will return to ER when Lemaster leaves.

That's a possibility

fedscreekviking Wrote:If there is a change I think Donavan Little should be the next coach at SV.

I doubt that lol
^Nothing against Little......but I don't think SV would go with a coach with a small amount of JV exp. after Newsome or Rowe, who both have tons of exp. as coaches.
I would think if coach Newsome decided to hang it up, you'd have to give at least a good look to Randy Davis and Doe-Doe, wouldn't you?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I would think if coach Newsome decided to hang it up, you'd have to give at least a good look to Randy Davis and Doe-Doe, wouldn't you?

You're right....Davis is a good mind and good COACH....