Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Coaches in the Mountains?
footballfever Wrote:According to KHSAA this Dinkys 30th year and he had 519 starting this year.

This is his 28th year coaching you can ask him yourself lol and he got his 500th win in 2009 because they recognized him at the state tourment that year and I know he has won more then 19 games in the last three seasons. And we looked on their web page he got his 500th win February 16 2009 against red bird
^
Theres not to many coaches with that many wins. I would aassume Steve Wright has almost just as many.
gls1978 Wrote:This is his 28th year coaching you can ask him yourself lol and he got his 500th win in 2009 because they recognized him at the state tourment that year and I know he has won more then 19 games in the last three seasons. And we looked on their web page he got his 500th win February 16 2009 against red bird

I apololigize. After looking again the 519 was going into the 2010 season not counting but it also shows this year would be his 31st year. Next time I se him I will ask him.
We have had our share of coaches and i have seen most of the coaches in the 13th & 14th.
13th Region: Mike Jones, Tony Pietrowski, J.D Strange, Dinky Phipps.
14th Region: Allan Hatcher, Al Holland,
gls1978 Wrote:Dinky Phipps! From barbourville Always does good with the little school

I agree completely it's hard to turn a single a school into a competitor, and he seems to do so year in and year out
Spud6 Wrote:WRONG!!!! Ask Shelby Valley's coach last year if it takes the best players to win.

Pretty sure he did have the best players! As pointed out by so many valley fans, those guys had went against the State Champs for three years in practice.
Hatcher is the best in the mountains hands down. But all coaches in the mountins rival those down state IMO because they have less to work with, so coaching comes with many more challenges.
StanTheFan Wrote:Pretty sure he did have the best players! As pointed out by so many valley fans, those guys had went against the State Champs for three years in practice.

I agree, those boys showed a lot of heart last year in the regional tourny last year.....
The record speaks for itself. Al Holland..
Active or Historically: Morten Combs - Carr Creek High School, Pearl Combs - Hindman High School, Farris Woods - Breathitt County High School, Roscoe Shackelford - Hazard High School, Bobby Keith - Clay County High School, Dave Fraley - Pulaski County and Knott County Central, Bill M Runyon - Paintsville High School. Active hands down Steve Wright South Laurel High School now at Southwestern High, not only a great winning percentage, but a State Championship. If he had not left Jason Booher who was at Shelby Valley would be hard to beat.
Denny Fugate
Al Holland
WALL2WALL Wrote:Denny Fugate
Al Holland
Obviously because of their ties to MC Napier.
Basketball Guru Wrote:What about Jr. Newsome at Betsy Layne? Does anyone know how many wins he has, I am sure it is close to 400.

Does anyone know the answer to this question?