Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Highlands
74.00%
Cincinnati Elder, OH
26.00%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlands @ Cincinnati Elder, OH 10/21
nptb17 Wrote:Given time, Highlands would be able to light the Elder db's up. I don't see the Highlands offensive line providing enough time.

Not sure I agree with the last sentence, but even if you are right, a smart O coach (and Mueller is that) offsets a strong pass rush by using three step drop passes (what the Bengals did to negate the Colts outstanding pass rush); throws screens; and runs draws. When an O starts running those plays, the D line can't be flying up field off the ball to pass rush because they have to slow down to stop the draws and screens. If they don't, then the LBs have to stop the screens and draws by themselves. If they do that, they can't help defend the short passes utilized in the three step drop passes. Elder does not have the DBs to stop, by themselves, Highlands very talented receiving corps. Something will be open against Elder regardless of what they try to do. It will be up to Mueller and the coaches in the press box to figure it out and adjust.

Mueller figured out the weakness of this year's team very early in the season and has prepared for them. He's no dummy. Actually he's one of the most intelligent high school football coaches in the state. And it sure doesn't hurt having Cris Collinsworth and some other exceptional assistant coaches helping Mueller prepare his offensive scheme and make his during game adjustments.
[quote=nptb17]Covington Catholic is not Elder.[/QUOT

I agree. Elder's offense isn't near as good.
nptb17 Wrote:Given time, Highlands would be able to light the Elder db's up. I don't see the Highlands offensive line providing enough time.

Of course, you have been saying the same thing for at least a few years, and somehow the O Line gets it done.

As pointed out by others, the offensive game plan will take into account Elder's strengths, and we might see more of PT rolling out as opposed to staying in the pocket. I recall in some of the other games against Elder that we rolled the QB out on most passing plays.
charlie22 Wrote:Not sure I agree with the last sentence, but even if you are right, a smart O coach (and Mueller is that) offsets a strong pass rush by using three step drop passes (what the Bengals did to negate the Colts outstanding pass rush); throws screens; and runs draws. When an O starts running those plays, the D line can't be flying up field off the ball to pass rush because they have to slow down to stop the draws and screens. If they don't, then the LBs have to stop the screens and draws by themselves. If they do that, they can't help defend the short passes utilized in the three step drop passes. Elder does not have the DBs to stop, by themselves, Highlands very talented receiving corps. Something will be open against Elder regardless of what they try to do. It will be up to Mueller and the coaches in the press box to figure it out and adjust.

Mueller figured out the weakness of this year's team very early in the season and has prepared for them. He's no dummy. Actually he's one of the most intelligent high school football coaches in the state. And it sure doesn't hurt having Cris Collinsworth and some other exceptional assistant coaches helping Mueller prepare his offensive scheme and make his during game adjustments.

Mueller is the best in-game coach that I have seen on the sidelines. My guess is that he will make the adjustments well before they are expected. I won't be surprised that this is one of the Birds best rushing nights of the season. It certainly would not be expected that HHS would employ a rushing attack, and it just might surprise the Panthers. I don't see the run game as the primary weapon, I'm just thinking that it will be used at the "right" times more often.
Highlands-Bluebirds.com brief game preview:

Highlands Faces Biggest Challenge of the Regular Season
IF, Elder can run the football, they will beat Highlands, Highlands does have a high powed O, put there weak spot is there run D, IF Elder can run the ball and control the clock, Elder will win! On a scale of the best Highlands teams of ALL TIME this team is about a 6, with there O being around a 7.5 to an 8, and the D being about a 3.5 to a 4, just sayin!
The only thing this game will tell us is wether or not that Cov. Cath defensive effort was a fluke or if the Bluebird D is that weak.
^ That's the ONLY thing????
That's the only thing that matters in this game, Stardust. The Birds aren't vying for a national title nor is Elder. It's meaningless otherwise IMO. A win at the Pit doesn't carry any weight when the playoffs come around. In fact, playing such a large school power this late in the season could hinder the Birds with nagging injuries.
just heard that 13 (8 starters) on Elders team have been suspended for the rest of the year. It has not been a good year for Elder.
^ WOW - The Birds are in a can't win situation. If they win, they get no credit for it because the Panthers were down and were missing so many players. If they lose, then everyone will knock the Birds inability to beat a team with nobody!
sstack Wrote:just heard that 13 (8 starters) on Elders team have been suspended for the rest of the year. It has not been a good year for Elder.
Are you sure about this? What did they do to deserve it?
Stardust Wrote:^ WOW - The Birds are in a can't win situation. If they win, they get no credit for it because the Panthers were down and were missing so many players. If they lose, then everyone will knock the Birds inability to beat a team with nobody!
I agree. If the Birds can't beat a very depleted Elder team after Bishop Chatard beat them at full strength last week, it is really going to call into question how good Highlands really is. And if they manage to pound Elder into the ground, then they will have done what is now expected of them under the circumstances. Replacing 8 starters in the lineup on such short notice is a tall order for any team.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I agree. If the Birds can't beat a very depleted Elder team after Bishop Chatard beat them at full strength last week, it is really going to call into question how good Highlands really is. And if they manage to pound Elder into the ground, then they will have done what is now expected of them under the circumstances. Replacing 8 starters in the lineup on such short notice is a tall order for any team.

Not so fast, Hoot.

Reports out of Elder indicate that some of the 'replacement players" moving into the starting line up for the final 2 games are every bit as good, and possibly better, than those they are replacing. With a student body the size of Elder's, they have good players in waiting.

Secondly, GCL football is on a different level than we see across KY week in and week out. I do not expect this game to be a blow out either way, but expect the Birds to have to play a full 4 quarters to pull out the win, replacements or not.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I agree. If the Birds can't beat a very depleted Elder team after Bishop Chatard beat them at full strength last week, it is really going to call into question how good Highlands really is. And if they manage to pound Elder into the ground, then they will have done what is now expected of them under the circumstances. Replacing 8 starters in the lineup on such short notice is a tall order for any team.

No one knows how many starters and at what positions. It's all hocus pocus stuff that folks like u are buying into...Elder would beat 99% of Kentucky on a bad day.
Highlands 28-12.
Highlands should be able to score fast but Elder will slow the pace down with their running game if the Birds can force some 3 and outs this game will get ugly fast if Elder can run the ball and move the chains Elder will not get hammered it will be a close game I say Birds 42 Elder 28
2dog Wrote:Are you sure about this? What did they do to deserve it?

Heard this confirmed on Cincinnati WKRC news at 11 tonight. Said they were suspended for the final 2 games, but did not say why.
Thunder 44 Wrote:Not so fast, Hoot.

Reports out of Elder indicate that some of the 'replacement players" moving into the starting line up for the final 2 games are every bit as good, and possibly better, than those they are replacing. With a student body the size of Elder's, they have good players in waiting.

Secondly, GCL football is on a different level than we see across KY week in and week out. I do not expect this game to be a blow out either way, but expect the Birds to have to play a full 4 quarters to pull out the win, replacements or not.
if Elder's bench players were as good as their starters, then they would not be bench players. Indy football teams play on a different level than Highland sees week to week and Bishop Chatard, a 3A team that Massey currently ranks 13th in the state of Indiana, beat Elder at full strength one week ago. If Highlands loses on the same field one weak to a team missing multiple starters and reserves, then all the talk of Highlands being a top 5, 10, or even 25 team in the nation should end. That would have been just as true before the suspensions. Chatard is not even close to being among the top 100 teams in the country.
^ Come on Hoot, squads that have a 100 players have a hell of a lot of GREAT players. Sorry, but Trinity's #2's would beat every team in Kentucky - WHY, because they are GOOD. Starters does not equate to 100% playing time. I'm sure that these kids that will be stepping in for the Panthers have plenty of playing time and the drop off will not be that dramatic if any at all!
This looks like an interesting matchup.
NCC41 Wrote:Towles has thrown 17 TD's in his last 6 quarters played. Elder has not been that good defending the pass. I like Highlands chances a lot in this one.

Elder Been Playing Harder Teams Then What Highlands Has and it show tonight . Elder win 28-14
http://www.ehsports.com/
The Highlands-Elder game will be video streamed over the internet.

Find the link here : http://www.ehsports.com/

I'm watching the pre-game now. It is not HDTV but it is viewable.
Does anyone know the link for the Highlands broadcast?

I want to watch the Elder broadcast, but prefer the Highlands announcers.
I found it at http://www.highlands.localsportsradio.com