Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next coach at Lawrence Co.?
For the record

Tony Burchett was not the head coach at Johns Creek in 1986. The coach that year was Coach Newsome. Johns Creek's record that year was 3-8.
Burchett was not the coach in 1985 either. That was Carl Hall who left in August in 86 due to a back injury.
Just wanted to set the (records)straight.
Tony Burchett was at Johns Creek before Coach Hall.
HOMER Wrote:I dont see how you look at the win% with this list. Cecil is a top notch man, The kids like him and on top of all that he is a very hard worker. So what names are being added to the list?

Copley has the least amount of coaching experience out of the three, yet still has accomplished more.
fishindawg Wrote:Don't know who is on committee but Mike Armstrong will make final pick just like the basketball coach.

The committee made one choice and he chose another, for the basketball job that is.

If you want someone to help out the youth and start a good youth football program then Mike Copley is your guy. I'm telling you. He works the kids like no other in the offseason and he started a great youth program at Greenup. All the kids learn the same offense that the varsity runs and he makes sure that there is only one team per age group in the county.
LClion4life Wrote:If you want someone to help out the youth and start a good youth football program then Mike Copley is your guy. I'm telling you. He works the kids like no other in the offseason and he started a great youth program at Greenup. All the kids learn the same offense that the varsity runs and he makes sure that there is only one team per age group in the county.
Copley didn't start the youth program. GC has always had a strong JFL. You are correct about all teams running the offense, but there are two teams per grade up until 7th grade. GC had 6th grade team last year due to the lack of players from Mckell. Copley started off really involved with the youth program, but had nothing to do with them half way through the season.
Kosar this thread isn't about Copley and Greenup County, so keep the Musketeer name off this thread thanks. As for the hiring, I am hearing some big names come into the mix. I know the guy from Lexington not sure if it was from Catholic or Christian came to LC yesterday to check out the field and facilities. Anyone know anymore????
lcgrad2002 Wrote:Kosar this thread isn't about Copley and Greenup County, so keep the Musketeer name off this thread thanks. As for the hiring, I am hearing some big names come into the mix. I know the guy from Lexington not sure if it was from Catholic or Christian came to LC yesterday to check out the field and facilities. Anyone know anymore????

lol!!
lcgrad2002 Wrote:Kosar this thread isn't about Copley and Greenup County, so keep the Musketeer name off this thread thanks. As for the hiring, I am hearing some big names come into the mix. I know the guy from Lexington not sure if it was from Catholic or Christian came to LC yesterday to check out the field and facilities. Anyone know anymore????
So sorry, thought the LC guys might want some insight on a guy that is up for the coaching job and has a pretty good chance at getting it. Get over yourself. Copley or Burchett gets this job.
Kosar Wrote:So sorry, thought the LC guys might want some insight on a guy that is up for the coaching job and has a pretty good chance at getting it. Get over yourself. Copley or Burchett gets this job.

Burchett is a class act this would be a good fit
Kosar Wrote:Copley didn't start the youth program. GC has always had a strong JFL. You are correct about all teams running the offense, but there are two teams per grade up until 7th grade. GC had 6th grade team last year due to the lack of players from Mckell. Copley started off really involved with the youth program, but had nothing to do with them half way through the season.

I've been with the RAMS youth football for six years. And you are so right. GC youth always has good football teams. And we love playing them. My so was on this past years sixth grade team. It was a dog fight every game from the third grade all the way through this past season. I love this rival!!:Thumbs:
Copley looks like a better choice than Burchett, but oh well.
Keep the info coming Kosar and yes an assistant from Lexington Cath. was suppose to have been interviewed as well.
Mark 11:23 "For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this MOUNTAIN, `Be removed and be cast into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will come to pass, he will have whatever he says. NKJ
We in lc already know everything about copley. We dont need anymore information on him. I would almost say a hundred percent thatg copley will not be the new head coach. I know two people on the hiring commitee and they keep me updated.
What do you have against him? He has better head coaching numbers than Cecil and Burchett.
Copley's players at GC absolutely love him. He worked them hard and instilled a sense of pride in them. He did rub some the wrong way BUT if you want to create a winner at GC this must be done. In my opinion Copley would do a great job at LC.
roostercogburn Wrote:Copley's players at GC absolutely love him. He worked them hard and instilled a sense of pride in them. He did rub some the wrong way BUT if you want to create a winner at GC this must be done. In my opinion Copley would do a great job at LC.

Why did he rub them the wrong way?
StrayBullet Wrote:Why did he rub them the wrong way?

I have a cousin that played for GC this year and it's just that some kids didn't like the hard work that Copley ensued. He expected 110% from them every time they were in his presence. Whether it be practice, the weight room, or Friday night, you were going to work for him or find yourself riding the pine or sitting at home. Most of the kids weren't used to that because Sammons ran a much different kind of team that definitely did not work like Copley's teams did. Granted, they lost a couple games they shouldn't have, but that's just growing pains from a relatively new head coach. This was only his third year as the head man at a program.
100% is all there is to give.
Cecil will be the head Coach.. Write it Down.
Underground who are you and where are you from? How do you know for sure?
i heard it was down to Joey Cecil, Mike Copley and Tony Burchett. now the question i have is if Lawrence Does Hire Burchett is who will Powell County Go After?
Copley and Burchett being close, has anyone heard that it may be a package deal, Burchett as the HC until he retires and Copley d-cord/hc in waiting?
I have a hard time believing Copley would accept that.
I dont know if Cecil wants the job, BUT if he wants it, its his. The reason is because he was with Coach Salmons.
LClion4life Wrote:I have a hard time believing Copley would accept that.

I'm pretty sure Copley would benefit from this. Burchett would serve as a fantastic mentor for an up and coming coach.
There is very few situations were two head coaches could work together, and this is one. I think I called this first on this thread, love to be right.

No shame if Copley hired, only good going to come the dawg way. But if they get both, look out, they had great success together in the past. They are very good friends,,,,,and its just tough to coach without quality coaches around you.

It just makes too much sense,
so I am taking all bets that it dont happen.

They had a good coach and couldnt keep him, dont know why or how they could make this decision.

Lesson to all,,,Love your coach, or someone else will........
Mr. Sandwich Wrote:I'm pretty sure Copley would benefit from this. Burchett would serve as a fantastic mentor for an up and coming coach.

Sure he would benefit from it. But would he accept it? Lawrence County better hope so.
Any updates??
Mr. Sandwich Wrote:I'm pretty sure Copley would benefit from this. Burchett would serve as a fantastic mentor for an up and coming coach.

Didn't Burchett serve as an asst. coach under Copley at the start of his first year at Greenup?
Ok it's obvious Copley has his buddies posting on here because he is so desperate for a job.
Fact he has been run off both places he has been at.
Fact you can count his IQ on one hand.
Fact you can count his football IQ on one finger.
If lc is so stupid to hire him my kids are out of lc and many more will follow. No one but losers follow a loser and Copley is and always will be a loser. He'll never have more then mild success because he's not smart enough to do more. The sun shines on a dogs butt every now and again but not this time.
Hustle Wrote:Didn't Burchett serve as an asst. coach under Copley at the start of his first year at Greenup?

I don't think so. Burchett has been the head coach at Powell County the last two years just like Copley has been at Greenup for the past two years.
Hustle Wrote:Didn't Burchett serve as an asst. coach under Copley at the start of his first year at Greenup?
Yes, during the first offseason under Copley, and was going to be his Oline coach until he got hired at Powell.