Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greatest Assistant Coaches to NEVER be a Head Coach
You know, Coach Saylor is a really great coach, I completely agree with that. I also heard that he did not want to be head coach when the position opened up when Larkey left. Now....several people have been dogging Coach Parkey on here, some from Rockcastle and some not. What they don't know is how the situation at Rockcastle has changed since 2000-2003. When I played (back in the stone ages of the mid 80's), Rockcastle really wasn't that good at football, period. A lot of dedicated people got in there at one time with Coach Larkey and started working at the base up with the youth program in the 90's. Coaches would haul the kids to the games and practices in their personal vehicles and this helped a lot of kids that otherwise wouldn't have gotten to play, the chance to get involved in athletics. As time has progressed, a lot of those dedicated coaches at the youth level have moved out and the middle school program began to suffer several years back. Not as much attention was paid to this base and participation has suffered. In the days when Larkey was head coach, Coach Parkey was Middle School Coach and Larkey was able to feed his program off of Parkey's efforts and the efforts of those youth coaches mentioned earlier. Someone else pointed out this little nugget of information to me. The fact that because of all the lawsuits that have occurred everywhere (not only in Rockcastle) made the school implement a policy that coaches cannot, as representatives of the school system, haul the kids to and from practice as they used to for liability issues. This did not help to strengthen the program, participation-wise. Now you all can all keep dogging Parkey all you want, but, as a parent of a football player or two, the man has been good to the boys and you won't hear me say anything bad about him or any of the coaching staff on here. Larkey is a fine coach, but, he received an offer he couldn't refuse at Harlan and pulled out. He told me that he would be at Rockcastle for about five more years...... four years ago this last summer at their annual youth camp. The last year Coach Larkey was there, the freshman class dwindled that season from about 15 or more kids that played eighth grade football the year before to the five you now see as seniors. To lose ten or more kids out of one class in one year is a tough lick for a small rural county football program. His son Chris is a really nice guy and in my opinion a really good coach, but, he is not head coach at Rockcastle and I don't think he would have wanted to try and step into his dad's shoes there. I don't know WHO you all have in mind for head coach at Rockcastle, but, I have a pretty good idea of what this coaching staff is dealing with as far as kids attitudes, history and participation in football at the school. To be honest, I'm standing behind the coaching staff....all of them. They are top drawer in my opinion and lack of effort on their part is not the problem of why the team has been slumping lately. They still pull the all nighters reviewing game film and work hard to try and give the boys the best chance possible of winning, Coach Saylor is still the motivator he used to be, and Coach Parkey and his staff work hard to try to get the kids ready for the next game. I hope and wish that the efforts of the staff and kids will come out to pay off dividends as the season progresses and the seasons to come.
Throw another one on for Coach Mickey... if he was the DC this season I would feel pretty certain about Belfry's chances tonight.

He has made a fine color man for the radio broadcasts though!

The thing with Coach Mickey is you knew exactly what his plan was every single game on defense with his 5-2, yet his teams were so fundamentally sound and rarely beat themselves, that it left you scratching your head. It was also fun to watch him adapt based on what he had to work with. Mickey's defenses shut down some very good running games. When it used to be that nearly every team was run based you would see Mickey load up his line with those big ole hollar boys and a noseguard that was tough as nails. As offenses shifted to more spread based, you saw Mickey's lines get smaller and faster, and his LB's become more athletic.

Has anyone mentioned Coach Burchett at Johnson Central?
EKUAlum05 Wrote:...

Has anyone mentioned Coach Burchett at Johnson Central?

No, but for good reason. He was Jackson Co.'s head coach a couple years.
oneijoe Wrote:No, but for good reason. He was Jackson Co.'s head coach a couple years.

If you are talking about Tony Burchett, he is the head coach at Powell County.
oneijoe Wrote:No, but for good reason. He was Jackson Co.'s head coach a couple years.

cat86 Wrote:If you are talking about Tony Burchett, he is the head coach at Powell County.

Jesus...way off... HAHA
BlackcatAlum Wrote:James Derossett & Joe Chirico.

Defensive masterminds.

:Thumbs: He's a good guy and great coach. I always hoped he and John would win a state title together. Then, Betsy Layne would get him.
tehot05 Wrote:Tony Saylor (ROCK)

Scott Russell (KNOX)

Fred Hoskins (BELL/Should Be the Head Coach after Dudley retires)

Bryan Crawford (BELL)

don allnut he was a dc for owen he got fired and is now dc for gallatin i thought he should of been head coach for owen after coach u left but they hired the worse football coach ever ken hockensmith
rebel 4 life Wrote:don allnut he was a dc for owen he got fired and is now dc for gallatin i thought he should of been head coach for owen after coach u left but they hired the worse football coach ever ken hockensmith

I know Don very well..... hope things are goin good for him. He is a great person.