Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5A Football Alignment
IRISH4 Wrote:Yes, you can petition to move up in class...but it has to be approved by the KHSAA. I don't see how LCC can move up in class with those other schools wanting to play up for the same reason of location and travel to the district games. Oh wait a minute, Letcher has someone on the board of control and gets to do whatever LCC wants...that explains their 4 team district as opposed to 6 teams in District 7. Nice move KHSAA! Makes perfect sense.

I agree this whole process reeks! It's obvious LCC gets anything and everything that they want because their athletic director is on the board of control. What a complete joke! I was hoping it would be different with Mr. Tackett in there but that seems not to be the case. All we've heard is how no team would be able to move unless there isolated. Well Letcher got moved to 5a and Johnson Central didn't. JC is a southeastern Ky team that will be playing in a North Eastern Ky district and there located 200 miles from their main competition in the region. What a complete joke. Johnson Central will have to drive through another region to get to theirs. How in the world can you justify having a region that's 200 miles apart? If JC was in 5A no district or region game would be greater than 150-175 miles. If that's not isolated then there will never be another case of isolation. Sounds like Letcher's AD is trying his best to make sure LCC has the easiest way to Bowling Green. It's plain gutless!
Don Carlo Wrote:I agree this whole process reeks! It's obvious LCC gets anything and everything that they want because their athletic director is on the board of control. What a complete joke! I was hoping it would be different with Mr. Tackett in there but that seems not to be the case. All we've heard is how no team would be able to move unless there isolated. Well Letcher got moved to 5a and Johnson Central didn't. JC is a southeastern Ky team that will be playing in a North Eastern Ky district and there located 200 miles from their main competition in the region. What a complete joke. Johnson Central will have to drive through another region to get to theirs. How in the world can you justify having a region that's 200 miles apart? If JC was in 5A no district or region game would be greater than 150-175 miles. If that's not isolated then there will never be another case of isolation. Sounds like Letcher's AD is trying his best to make sure LCC has the easiest way to Bowling Green. It's plain gutless!

Johnson Central may be far from their regional teams, but a lot of teams are with the 6 class system.

However, Johnson Central is very close to Greenup, Boyd, Ashland, Rowan, etc.

JC had no case to move out of the 5A D8.

Letcher County Central probably didn't have to move either, but Knox, Rock are pretty good drives from Black Mountain. Whereas, their current district they have a 25 minute drive numerous times to get to district games.

Johnson Central had no basis for a move, because they didn't know HHS and Cov. Cath would be placed in D7 before they petitioned. Everyone assumed it would've been the Rock, Knox district because of geography. Besides region placement wouldnt factor into alignment. Because if that is your gripe then you'd have to move Boyd, Ashland and Greenup, etc out of the district also.
3wishes Wrote:Johnson Central may be far from their regional teams, but a lot of teams are with the 6 class system.

However, Johnson Central is very close to Greenup, Boyd, Ashland, Rowan, etc.

JC had no case to move out of the 5A D8.

Letcher County Central probably didn't have to move either, but Knox, Rock are pretty good drives from Black Mountain. Whereas, their current district they have a 25 minute drive numerous times to get to district games.

Johnson Central had no basis for a move, because they didn't know HHS and Cov. Cath would be placed in D7 before they petitioned. Everyone assumed it would've been the Rock, Knox district because of geography. Besides region placement wouldnt factor into alignment. Because if that is your gripe then you'd have to move Boyd, Ashland and Greenup, etc out of the district also.
Johnson Central is 63 miles from Perry Central,70 miles from Letcher and 107 miles from Harlan with a much closer region if there in 5A. Whitley is out there for both schools. Where does LCC have a 25 minute drive on a school bus? Yes there close to PCC but it's still a 40 minute drive. JC has had to travel ungodly miles for the past four years to get to there district and region games so why shouldn't other schools like Letcher have to? I'll tell you why they have someone on the BoC and he's going to make sure that there catered to.
Why would you have to move Ashland,Boyd,Rowan,and Greenup? Ashland is 140 miles from HHS,Boyd is 131 miles,Rowan is 97 miles,and Greenup is 114 miles away from HHS while JC is 200 miles away from Highlands.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:5A is rather weak, well at least districts 5-8 are IMO. Just no realistic championship contenders in those districts.

As for districts 1-4, it should be exciting, but I don't see many of those teams beating the Purples.

You're probably right, there is no way a team like Christian County could beat the Purples. Christian County has been as good as any team in 5A in the most recent years (outside of Highlands). As long as Lovelace and the current coaching staff stays in place, I would think they will always have as good of chance as anybody.
Don Carlo Wrote:Johnson Central is 63 miles from Perry Central,70 miles from Letcher and 107 miles from Harlan with a much closer region if there in 5A. Whitley is out there for both schools. Where does LCC have a 25 minute drive on a school bus? Yes there close to PCC but it's still a 40 minute drive. JC has had to travel ungodly miles for the past four years to get to there district and region games so why shouldn't other schools like Letcher have to? I'll tell you why they have someone on the BoC and he's going to make sure that there catered to.
Why would you have to move Ashland,Boyd,Rowan,and Greenup? Ashland is 140 miles from HHS,Boyd is 131 miles,Rowan is 97 miles,and Greenup is 114 miles away from HHS while JC is 200 miles away from Highlands.

This is why...

Johnson Central's District Travel Miles

Rowan County 66 miles
Greenup County 63 miles
Boyd county 64 miles
Ashland 59 miles

Quit comparing region distance because it doesn't fall into the equation the KHSAA determined.
No one saw the NKY district being in D7, but now they are and there are no guarantees JC makes the playoffs to even travel to region teams, therefore, region distance travel isn't an arguing point. Because most all districts will have to travel great lengths with 6 classes and the new alignment.
nky Wrote:District 5 - Conner, Cooper, Grant County, Scott, South Oldham

Conner must be dancing in the streets of Hebron over this placement. Dropped from NKY 6A (away from Boone, Campbell, Ryle, Dixie) and Highlands and CovCath drop to 4A.
Conner should dominate this district.

conner's gotta love this, cooper is in a good spot as well.
Letcher Central came out smelling like a rose. Put in 5A and all of that is because they have a board of control member (Ozz Jackson). Tell me that politics don't play a roll in KHSAA
3wishes Wrote:This is why...

Johnson Central's District Travel Miles

Rowan County 66 miles
Greenup County 63 miles
Boyd county 64 miles
Ashland 59 miles

Quit comparing region distance because it doesn't fall into the equation the KHSAA determined.
No one saw the NKY district being in D7, but now they are and there are no guarantees JC makes the playoffs to even travel to region teams, therefore, region distance travel isn't an arguing point. Because most all districts will have to travel great lengths with 6 classes and the new alignment.
This really shows everybody how much you know about the situation. How in the heck could it take longer to drive to Boyd County than Greenup Co? You can't always go by mapquest pal to get your mileage. You say Rowan County is 66 miles... what road are you taking because down here with buses we take Route 23 to I64 and thats 105 miles. Where did you get 63 miles to Greenup? It's 80 miles going north on Route 23.

You say that regional distance doesn't fall into the equation well so me some proof. I can't find anything that says that it's just districts. I did find this on the KHSAA site and it states that "The primary determining factor in approving a request to play up was geography, and equally important conditions for denial of a request to play up was any reference to competitive ability; or a move that would leave the former district with less than four teams or more than six teams".
redstorm Wrote:Letcher Central came out smelling like a rose. Put in 5A and all of that is because they have a board of control member (Ozz Jackson). Tell me that politics don't play a roll in KHSAA

They always come out smelling like a rose.
Grant Co. has the ability to be top! With players like Justin Loomis, who scores 95% of the total touchdowns per game, they have the talent and the drive to make it all the way =)
Once a Colonel Wrote:You're probably right, there is no way a team like Christian County could beat the Purples. Christian County has been as good as any team in 5A in the most recent years (outside of Highlands). As long as Lovelace and the current coaching staff stays in place, I would think they will always have as good of chance as anybody.

I agree. Christian County fields a very good ball club every year and would have to be one of a few teams in the hunt for the championshipl every year.
Seen in the Lexington Herald today that some teams are most likely going to petition to move up in class, it said Boyle, Johnson Central, Lex Cath, and somebody else wanted to go to 5A. And also greenwood wanted to go to 6A.
You would think that all the 5A Eastern Kentucky teams would be celebrating this week. One of them will at least get a chance to play for the championship now that Highlands is gone.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Seen in the Lexington Herald today that some teams are most likely going to petition to move up in class, it said Boyle, Johnson Central, Lex Cath, and somebody else wanted to go to 5A. And also greenwood wanted to go to 6A.

When I was in High School, I dreamed of playing agianst the best the state had to offer. It is really sad to see these teams running from the competition!
adopted purple Wrote:You would think that all the 5A Eastern Kentucky teams would be celebrating this week. One of them will at least get a chance to play for the championship now that Highlands is gone.

Absoloutly, i think this is one of the best things that has happened to mountain football, im so glad to see highlands gone.
nky Wrote:District 5 - Conner, Cooper, Grant County, Scott, South Oldham

Conner must be dancing in the streets of Hebron over this placement. Dropped from NKY 6A (away from Boone, Campbell, Ryle, Dixie) and Highlands and CovCath drop to 4A.
Conner should dominate this district.

Until the decision was made to move Cooper, I would have agreed with you. Now I think Cooper and Conner could be the kind of rivalry that the old NKY 3A had with Highlands and CovCath. Could be an interesting four years.
ILYGC30 Wrote:Grant Co. has the ability to be top! With players like Justin Loomis, who scores 95% of the total touchdowns per game, they have the talent and the drive to make it all the way =)

not being mean but how do you think grant county will do well when they have trouble will small schools conner and cooper are just to stong for the braves
IRISH4 Wrote:Yes, you can petition to move up in class...but it has to be approved by the KHSAA. I don't see how LCC can move up in class with those other schools wanting to play up for the same reason of location and travel to the district games. Oh wait a minute, Letcher has someone on the board of control and gets to do whatever LCC wants...that explains their 4 team district as opposed to 6 teams in District 7. Nice move KHSAA! Makes perfect sense.

Don't you think that Perry and Harlan Co is closer to us than to travel to KNOX and Rockcastle Co? Makes more since to me to be in that district than the other one.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
rebel 4 life Wrote:not being mean but how do you think grant county will do well when they have trouble will small schools conner and cooper are just to stong for the braves
I wouldnt say too strong,but yes there are teams that are better than them, I admit it...this game is unpredictable, so when we face them we'll see whos strongest..and whoever wins, wins..
IRISH4 Wrote:Not that I'm aware of, the paper work has to be submitted before the KHSAA draws up the final drafts. I believe they send out a rough draft as to what the classifications look like and schools can elect to move up if they chose...but still has to be approved.

The deadline to request a move up has already come and passed. It was intentionally done before the proposed districts were sent out. No new requests for move up can be filed as I understand it. Schools that previously requested a move up but were denied can appeal the decision; such appeal to be held on Oct 18. Pretty sure I have the correct info.
According to Commissioner Tackett, "Ten requests to play into a higher class were considered, with three of them being approved. The primary determining factor in approving a request to play up was geography, and equally important conditions for denial of a request to play up was any reference to competitive ability; or a move that would leave the former district with less than four teams or more than six teams."

Full Story
I honestly do believe that Letcher and JC were put into the best situations possible. If I was JC I would want to be in the Boyd district, that district is not that strong, some good teams, but i believe they would have it rougher in D8.
Letcher has been in the district they were put in for the last 3 years, who cares if they stay, its close for them to play the teams they will except for maybe Whitley.
charlie22 Wrote:The deadline to request a move up has already come and passed. It was intentionally done before the proposed districts were sent out. No new requests for move up can be filed as I understand it. Schools that previously requested a move up but were denied can appeal the decision; such appeal to be held on Oct 18. Pretty sure I have the correct info.

I had a friend with the athletic dept. tell me the same thing, that the deadline had already come and passed, but reading the Lexington Herald on monday it said 5 or 6 teams and mentioned the teams names, were expected to petition later on this week so if its already passed how could they still petition.
ILYGC30 Wrote:I wouldnt say too strong,but yes there are teams that are better than them, I admit it...this game is unpredictable, so when we face them we'll see whos strongest..and whoever wins, wins..

what grade is that running back that score on owen the 40 yarder
rebel 4 life Wrote:what grade is that running back that score on owen the 40 yarder
I think it was a senior im pretty sure the same person scored both of our touchdowns, but i cant remember who it was..but I admit they(owen co.) have a pretty good team, I mean this was the first time they beat us in a few years..so something must be going right..=)
redstorm Wrote:Letcher Central came out smelling like a rose. Put in 5A and all of that is because they have a board of control member (Ozz Jackson). Tell me that politics don't play a roll in KHSAA

It sure must be nice.
I would say East Jessamine and West Jessamine are satisfied with their placements, no more Boyle and Lex. Catholic every year. Dis. 6 seems to be a wide open district.
I still can't believe they jerked North Laurel out of D8 to make D7 a 6 team district and leaving D8 at 4 teams. Everyone gets in the playoffs now even if they go 0-10. :please: