Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelby Valley 76 - Betsy Layne 53
set09 Wrote:ATTENTION LARRY LEGEND....lol...please read....

out of 7 regular season games this year NEWMAN has played 2 EXCELLENT GAMES against KCC & SF...he has played poorly against some of the worst teams, so we know its not SV's defense that did this...he isn't consistent. His has an attitude as if he doesn't care and attitude means a lot in HS b-ball. Maybe if they would have held him back in school and he'd have been a 19 or 20 year old senior..then maybe he would be more mature...kinda like Valley...LMAO!!!!!!!!

VALLEY'S INSIDE GAME ISN'T ALL THAT WONDERFUL. They could not stop MARTIN when he drove straight now the middle. Smile

Neither is BL's guards and also Newsome and Hatfelid is very good player twice the player Martin is.:flame:
BL scored 53 points... So are you saying that BL just has a bad offense. You can't say SV has bad defense and that BL has a good offense if you only manage 53 points. As for SV they have not been challenged by this region so far this season. I would be willing to bet that no one in this region will come within 20 of SV all season. Its not that SV is that strong, its just that the rest of the region is way weaker than I have ever seen it.
BL is not as good as SV I think everyone knows that but I do think they made up some ground this year last year in the all-a SV 71-BL 36 15TH TOURNY SV 83-BL 37 is BL a better team this year I think so 16 points better ? SV plays in the WYMT TOURNY the week of the 5th at KCC some really good 14th 13th & 15th region teams in this one this should tell if SV is overrated,
Honestly I don't think there is a team in the 12th, 13th, 14th 15th or 16th that can consistently beat or even beat Shelby Valley if they play their normal game.

Now there are several teams in the 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th & 11th that could beat Shelby Valley.

Since none of the above teams (6th - 11th) are in the WYMT Tournament, Shelby Valley will win it. JMO
goodguy Wrote:Honestly I don't think there is a team in the 12th, 13th, 14th 15th or 16th that can consistently beat or even beat Shelby Valley if they play their normal game.

Now there are several teams in the 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th & 11th that could beat Shelby Valley.

Since none of the above teams (6th - 11th) are in the WYMT Tournament, Shelby Valley will win it. JMO

I agree 100%.
Perry Central might have something to say about SV winning the WYMT tourny. I'm not sayin PCC will beat them but they are a very good team, dangerous for SV not to mention Buckhorn, they've played some good teams already.
orginal post by LARRY LEGEND
BL scored 53 points... So are you saying that BL just has a bad offense. You can't say SV has bad defense and that BL has a good offense if you only manage 53 points. As for SV they have not been challenged by this region so far this season. I would be willing to bet that no one in this region will come within 20 of SV all season. Its not that SV is that strong, its just that the rest of the region is way weaker than I have ever seen it

Not once did I say that BL had a great offense or a great defense..But I did say SV was a bit over rated. Yes the 15th region is probably one of the weakest regions in the state. And in this region SV looks like The Kentucky Wildcats, but outside this region their no more than an average team. Everyone talks of how GREAT they are, but when they go down state, their sent back home. I would love to see them win state just because their from the 15th region but its not gonna happen. And I would be willing to beat that SV will go no farther than the 2nd round of the tourn. come March. Unless they take the 15th region refs with them...lol... However I do wish them the best of luck.
set09 Wrote:Don't get me wrong he's a good player, but he's no D1 player.

Army, Jacksonville, Louisville, and EKU seem to disagree... I'm going out on a limb and accepting their opinion over your's...
Booher, doesn't usually run the players through a two hour practice, the day of a game. He is getting them ready to leave on Sunday for Florida, so they already had a practice that day from 12-2. That was one of the beefs we had with Gillespie was his playing the team the day of the game.They didn't have their hutz-puh come game time.
Elisha is one of the best point guards and after the performance at the Expo, Pitino is thrilled with his decision.
With all do respect... Justice is talented, but he's not the best point guard to every come out of this region. Slone from Paintsville was awesome. Shawn Newsome from AC averaged 36-38 points PER GAME!!! These boys aren't even heard of any more.

Justice is going to L'ville...but lets set it straight..HE IS A WALK ON..Pinito wouldn't even have known who he was if he hadn't went to L'ville as a WALK ON. A lot of kids go to these D1 schools, but their playing time is very slim, if any!

But again I do respect the kid because he puts his heart into each game. He carries his team well and seems to be smart with the ball. No disrespect towards him. I hope his career is wonderful at U-of-L. Go luck to him and the wildcats.
set09 Wrote:With all do respect... Justice is talented, but he's not the best point guard to every come out of this region. Slone from Paintsville was awesome. Shawn Newsome from AC averaged 36-38 points PER GAME!!! These boys aren't even heard of any more.

Justice is going to L'ville...but lets set it straight..HE IS A WALK ON..Pinito wouldn't even have known who he was if he hadn't went to L'ville as a WALK ON. A lot of kids go to these D1 schools, but their playing time is very slim, if any!

But again I do respect the kid because he puts his heart into each game. He carries his team well and seems to be smart with the ball. No disrespect towards him. I hope his career is wonderful at U-of-L. Go luck to him and the wildcats.

You must not know the history between EJ and Pitino. Pitino knows Elisha is a walk on because he asked him to. He said he may have a scholly available for next year, but definitely after that. Walter McCarty, his assistant, made one visit to SV. Pitino showed up the next week at SV. He called Elisha at school the next day and asked him to come and back up Silva next year. That's why Elisha is a Cardinal.
mrsportsfan Wrote:You must not know the history between EJ and Pitino. Pitino knows Elisha is a walk on because he asked him to. He said he may have a scholly available for next year, but definitely after that. Walter McCarty, his assistant, made one visit to SV. Pitino showed up the next week at SV. He called Elisha at school the next day and asked him to come and back up Silva next year. That's why Elisha is a Cardinal.

One thing that brought Elisha to Pitino's attention, was at a tournament that he played at in Vegas this summer, in which Pitino was in attendance.
The only thing I have to say about this thread. Hilarious. A team in the 15th comes within 25 points of Shelby Valley and all of the sudden Shelby Valley is overrated.

Apparently I shouldn't congratulate Shelby Valley on the win, but congrats Betsy Layne for only losing by 23 since it is obviously a nice moral victory for all the folks down that way. So congrats to coming within 25 of the defending region champs.

Hang a banner.:1:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
alfus21 Wrote:The only thing I have to say about this thread. Hilarious. A team in the 15th comes within 25 points of Shelby Valley and all of the sudden Shelby Valley is overrated.

Apparently I shouldn't congratulate Shelby Valley on the win, but congrats Betsy Layne for only losing by 23 since it is obviously a nice moral victory for all the folks down that way. So congrats to coming within 25 of the defending region champs.

Hang a banner.:1:

My thoughts exactly. If I remember correctly, Betsy Layne gave them a good game at SV last year and supposedly this BL team is better and this SV team is not as good. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

A couple of posters described the game as "could have been closer", but I recall SV leading by at least 28 points early in the 4th. As for the comparison to KCC, they may very well beat SV, but I'll guarantee that NO team in the state can beat SV 50+ points unless SV has a couple of key players not playing. SV has shown that they can compete with teams all over the state over the past few years, as well as other states, and maybe even with this years' weak version of a team. I'll take the actual results over a couple of people's opinions on here.

As for the comment about Pitino not even knowing who Elisha is, that is ridiculous. I'll bet Elisha called and begged him to walk on at Louisville and Pitino said "sounds fine, but I'll just come up and watch you a couple of times to see if you're good enough to sit on my bench".
goodguy Wrote:Honestly I don't think there is a team in the 12th, 13th, 14th 15th or 16th that can consistently beat or even beat Shelby Valley if they play their normal game.

:thumpsup:
alleycat53 Wrote:Perry Central might have something to say about SV winning the WYMT tourny. I'm not sayin PCC will beat them but they are a very good team, dangerous for SV not to mention Buckhorn, they've played some good teams already.

It will be a good game, I hope Perry wins.
Aslan Wrote:It will be a good game, I hope Perry wins.

I agree that it will be a good game. I just hope SV wins. Perry scares me more than any other 14th or 15th Region team.
No offense to BL, but they do not put the fear into SV. BL has improved over the last few years, but they don't have the guns to compete with the best teams in the 15th region. SV will not be at the top of their game all the time. The people on here who knock EJ and other good players are really showing their backsides. Jealousy gets you nowhere. Good Luck to both teams. SV will keep rolling in my opinion, and BL is talented enough to make a good district and region run if they cut down on some mistakes and hit some shots. The argument about SV and KCC is silly. Who cares who is better unless you face each other at state. However, I do agree with the poster that talked about KCC's defense. There is no comparison between their D and SV's. Until KCC plays great half-court D, they will only be a regional, and not state, threat. Merry Christmas everyone!!!! I do agree that PCC has the athletic ability to cause SV tons of problems, but SV can force PCC out of their game as well.
I would like to think that anyone in the region would root for a fellow 15th Region team, especially when they have a shot to do well at state (an outside shot, but a shot at that), but it seems to be the opposite with many fans. The run that SV has had over the last 10 years has been amazing (whether you are a fan or not). They have been a regional contender many, many years in a row, winning it in 02, 03, 05, 07, and 09 and losing in the finals in 01 and 06, and getting beat by Paintsville in the semifinals in 08. Their record over that period is 232-60, with a 50+ game home winning streak (these seniors are 95-13 over their 4 years with an All A State Title, 2 Regional titles, and are the favorite to win a 3rd). Even though they will drop off tremendously after this year, they will still be a regional contender and should be one of the favorites again within 2 or 3 years. I would like to think that any true fan of basketball would respect that.
Set09

Look at your grade school team befor you start talking.

You guys are doing it as well.
You should have started earlier.
i wasnt impressed with the wildcats play...i have watched both them and knott county plenty of times....KCC is a 10-15 point better team then them
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:I agree that it will be a good game. I just hope SV wins. Perry scares me more than any other 14th or 15th Region team.

Yeah, i think Perry Central is the best team in the 14th and i think they have a very good chance of beating the Wildcats!
bballfan12 Wrote:i wasnt impressed with the wildcats play...i have watched both them and knott county plenty of times....KCC is a 10-15 point better team then them

KCC is 10-15 points better than SV? IDK if im reading that correctly or not :lmao:
That wasn't a shot at KCC, but SV is the best team in the mountains, and can play with almost any team in state.
Your blinded by your hatred friend.
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:I agree that it will be a good game. I just hope SV wins. Perry scares me more than any other 14th or 15th Region team.

:thumpsup:
We gave you guys a scare last year @ Valley.
Aslan Wrote::thumpsup:
We gave you guys a scare last year @ Valley.

Definitely! I was in Lexington at the KBA Middle School State Tournament and had to get the play by play via cellphone. Very nervous times at the end of that game.
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:My thoughts exactly. If I remember correctly, Betsy Layne gave them a good game at SV last year and supposedly this BL team is better and this SV team is not as good. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

A couple of posters described the game as "could have been closer", but I recall SV leading by at least 28 points early in the 4th. As for the comparison to KCC, they may very well beat SV, but I'll guarantee that NO team in the state can beat SV 50+ points unless SV has a couple of key players not playing. SV has shown that they can compete with teams all over the state over the past few years, as well as other states, and maybe even with this years' weak version of a team. I'll take the actual results over a couple of people's opinions on here.

As for the comment about Pitino not even knowing who Elisha is, that is ridiculous. I'll bet Elisha called and begged him to walk on at Louisville and Pitino said "sounds fine, but I'll just come up and watch you a couple of times to see if you're good enough to sit on my bench".

Coach you have been around the game for some time now do you think SV is the #4 team in the state ? as far as EJ JMO he's one of the best to ever come out of this region,he's fast has good hands & can rebound with players a foot taller,is he Jonh Wall ? No but who is.
NIGHTRIDER Wrote:Coach you have been around the game for some time now do you think SV is the #4 team in the state ? as far as EJ JMO he's one of the best to ever come out of this region,he's fast has good hands & can rebound with players a foot taller,is he Jonh Wall ? No but who is.

It would be hard for me to say they are a top 5 team until they beat an elite team in this state. However, I think they are a top ten team who can play with and possibly beat any team in the state on a given night. Do I think they are as talented as Holmes, Scott County, Eastern, Ballard? No. I do think they are the epitomy of the word TEAM and that's what gives them the ability to beat any of these teams. They proved last year that they were one of the top teams in the state, and I think they can be this year as well. I have learned one thing from this group of boys and that is since middle school they have played with and beat some of the best in the state so I would never bet against them. I am confident that no team will intimidate them with the experience they have.

As far as Elisha, I think he is one of the best I have ever seen in this region, but I am not old enough to have seen many of the best. Many of the older people in this part of the state have said the same thing many times. It is hard to compare players across different eras though. He is the best ballhandler I have ever seen around here and has some of the quickest hands I've seen. The last guard I can remember with his ability in the 15th region was Jeremy Hall from Allen Central. To me his ballhandling, understanding of the game, and work ethic are what make him so special. His height has always been what people knock about him, but he has continually proven those people wrong.

The people of SV will probably only really appreciate what this group of boys has done a few years after they're gone. One thing for sure is that these boys have made some special memories that they'll carry with them for a lifetime.
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:It would be hard for me to say they are a top 5 team until they beat an elite team in this state. However, I think they are a top ten team who can play with and possibly beat any team in the state on a given night. Do I think they are as talented as Holmes, Scott County, Eastern, Ballard? No. I do think they are the epitomy of the word TEAM and that's what gives them the ability to beat any of these teams. They proved last year that they were one of the top teams in the state, and I think they can be this year as well. I have learned one thing from this group of boys and that is since middle school they have played with and beat some of the best in the state so I would never bet against them. I am confident that no team will intimidate them with the experience they have.

As far as Elisha, I think he is one of the best I have ever seen in this region, but I am not old enough to have seen many of the best. Many of the older people in this part of the state have said the same thing many times. It is hard to compare players across different eras though. He is the best ballhandler I have ever seen around here and has some of the quickest hands I've seen. The last guard I can remember with his ability in the 15th region was Jeremy Hall from Allen Central. To me his ballhandling, understanding of the game, and work ethic are what make him so special. His height has always been what people knock about him, but he has continually proven those people wrong.

The people of SV will probably only really appreciate what this group of boys has done a few years after they're gone. One thing for sure is that these boys have made some special memories that they'll carry with them for a lifetime.

Thanks Coach, I know you know this group of boys as good as anyone. Merry Christmas to everyone on BGR.
NIGHTRIDER Wrote:Thanks Coach, I know you know this group of boys as good as anyone. Merry Christmas to everyone on BGR.

Merry Christmas to you too. Hopefully everyone will get electricity back soon. Christmas is a bad time to be without power.