Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WYMT Preseason Mountain Top 10
Brian Milam Wrote:Bell County is going to be a very good team!! "Wondering" why people get so worked up when it's just a pre-season poll. If you guys could only see who the coaches voted for, you would be surprised. That is confidential. Go Cats beat Alcoa!
My money says the coaches chose Mayfield as pre-season #1 in the mountains.
Bell Boys Fan Wrote:It was the top Mountain teams, not top prospect players.

Do you honestly think I don't know that? **** the kid ran for more than 3,000 yards last season. I said Bell lost a lot of key players as a speculation to why they didn't get #1.

There's honestly no point in anyone from any school getting upset just because their school isn't in or where they think they should be in a PRESEASON ranking.
Bell Co returns alot.
Matt Raines
John Dudley Hilton
Cody Davenport
Taylor Mills
Billy Lawson
Cody Marcum
Mike Howard
Joe Collett
Keith Lowe
and so on. Remember not all players on the team last year started on both sides of the ball. Trust me Brian if you have not heard of Cory Davenport who runs a 4.3 40 you will sooner or later. He WILL MAKE SPENCER GREER look sick this season. QB Ben Madon cant scramble as good as Zachery but has a better arm and throws.
4.3? Wow! Which schools are recruiting him? That would make him easily the fastest player to ever come out of the mountains, David Jones only ran a 4.4
Guys, WYMT always give Dudley the drama along with Bell County. I do know that there's some coaches in the mtns. Dudley, Phillip, Holcomb, Matnee, Howard and a few more, these guys get the prime time billing. You guys are making too big of a deal about it.
Those players above started last year on one side of the ball or both.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:4.3? Wow! Which schools are recruiting him? That would make him easily the fastest player to ever come out of the mountains, David Jones only ran a 4.4

Sorry meant to say 4.43.
So same players that give up 400 + yards to jchs.
Bell Boys Fan Wrote:No and we don't need no orange on this thread either.

Im here and don't plan on going anywhere anytime soon. Although Bell County is an awesome football program, it is not the only one in the mountains. Breathitt County has won more state titles and they have an awesome team this year also. They were state runner-up with most of their players returning. Bell County lost several key players to graduation. Just because you won a state title last year doesn't automatically make you number 1 the following year. Sounds like some Bell County fans have spoiled brat syndrome.
BellCoBobcats09 Wrote:Sorry meant to say 4.43.

I'm sorry, I have a hard time believing that. Just last year only 6 players ran under a 4.5 forty at the NFL combine. So Davenport's forty time must have been done by the coaches. Your actual forty is timed by laser.
BlackcatAlum telling the truth. Maybe some other Bell fans can help me out. Cory won every phase at the underclassman combine in Atlanta this summer too.
Matt Raines also runs a 4.5 40 too.
BellCoBobcats09 Wrote:BlackcatAlum telling the truth. Maybe some other Bell fans can help me out. Cory won every phase at the underclassman combine in Atlanta this summer too.

I'm not saying that I don't believe you, its just a 4.4 forty is lighting fast. Not to many athletes around the world can run that fast or faster.
If Cory didnt get hurt last year in a Freshman game alot would already know who he is. He started as a Freshman on Varsity and the Freshman team needed another player so he played and broke his arm.
Lets relax a bit and think! The NFL has speedsters that are 200 plus pounds. In highschool we have backs that are likely160-165. It is very possible that these light weights can handle that kind of speed with ease. Thing is at 200lbs moving that fast you get some places. At 165 you may just lay over before Mr.Linebacker does it for you!!!!!!
Brian Milam Wrote:I agree what a joke!!!! Those guys were praised all year in 2008 for their coverage and now they don't give Bell any love. C'mon. Brian, Jeff, Derek...you guys are a joke!:lmao: Last year WYMT picked Bell County #1 and got crap from many others. Now it's the other way around. You guys are never right.
Just because Bell County lost 13 seniors, their starting QB who passed for more than 1500 yards, starting RBs totalling more than 2500 yards, two receivers who had 600 yards, and not to mention a great kicker.
Defense looks very good. Bell County never gets done wrong. :please:

:Clap: :Thumbs:

Good post. You know, I think you should be the one to go and tell those doofuses what a horrible injustice they have perpetrated on those poor kids. The nerve!
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
To call WYMT a joke is a joke in itself.

There's only ONE news outlet that covers mountain teams. It's not ESPN, the Lexington Herald-Leader, or WKYT. The rest of the world doesn't really know nor care that we exist out here, and if it weren't for WYMT and the work they do each Friday night, nobody in the mountains would ever see Bell County highlights, or Breathitt County highlights, or anybody else's highlights either. The amount of work and energy those guys put into and what they have done for mountain sports cannot be overestimated, and I for one am frankly offended that someone (no matter what team you might root for) has the nerve to call them a "joke" because their pre-season top ten didn't put your team number one instead of number two. That's a slap in the face to some people who work very very hard to try and cover every team and probably don't get paid nearly enough for what they do.
Diogenes Wrote:To call WYMT a joke is a joke in itself.

There's only ONE news outlet that covers mountain teams. It's not ESPN, the Lexington Herald-Leader, or WKYT. The rest of the world doesn't really know nor care that we exist out here, and if it weren't for WYMT and the work they do each Friday night, nobody in the mountains would ever see Bell County highlights, or Breathitt County highlights, or anybody else's highlights either. The amount of work and energy those guys put into and what they have done for mountain sports cannot be overestimated, and I for one am frankly offended that someone (no matter what team you might root for) has the nerve to call them a "joke" because their pre-season top ten didn't put your team number one instead of number two. That's a slap in the face to some people who work very very hard to try and cover every team and probably don't get paid nearly enough for what they do.

Excellent post!!! So true.
Do people seriously think kids around here run under a 4.5?
Diogenes Wrote:To call WYMT a joke is a joke in itself.

I agree, excellent post. :Thumbs:

Those guys at WYMT don't get enough credit for what they do.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Its true i would have forgot all about ya if it werent for WYMT! IMO Bell deserves #1 no more than Breathitt does. Top ten WTF? There shouldn't even be a top ten IMO until week three. Maybe Bell could take Breathitt out without much effort? But if you look at the word team and reflect what it means, does that make Breathitt the best team? Or is the top ten way freeging off and Allen Central goes undefeated and gives up 70 points only. Who would have thought the Cardinals would have been in the superbowl. Or am i crazy and overlooking the reason they call us fanatics? We are all just hormoned out because it all starts in less than 48hrs.
blackcat_mc Wrote:Do people seriously think kids around here run under a 4.5?

Great question. David Jones ran a 4.4 and I'm mighty sure that Cory Davenport isn't within a tenth of a second of Jones. I've heard much about Davenport and how fast he is from people that have seen him firsthand. I don't know if you people that claim Davenport ran a 4.43 understand how fast that really is. Like BCA said, that is absolutely lightning speed. I understand Davenport as quick if not quicker than anyone in the Mountains, but a 4.43 is right on key with David Jones who was the quickest player to ever come out of the Mountains. Look at Jones now, great four year career at UK and is now in the NFL. I'm not too sure about Raines running a 4.5 either. Realistically, Davenport would be lucky to run a 4.5 and Raines a 4.6+. Listen, it's great to root for your team and hype them up as much as possible, but you still have to be realistic about it. Truth of the matter is, Matt Raines is an outstanding player who is in my humble opinion, the second best player in the Mountains. Same goes for Davenport, an outstanding young player who is only a sophomore this upcoming season and is on the bubble on my Mountain top ten player list.

BellCoBobcats09 Wrote:They have Breathitt Co #1 and Bell Co #2. IMO until a mountain team beats Bell and coming off a State Championship Bell Co should be preseason #1 on Mountain Top 10. Bell Co returns 3/4 of there team back and the favorites to win Class 4A State Championship again this year. No one has beaten Bell Co since 2006 against Rockcastle Co. :please:

As for saying WYMT is a joke, that's ridiculous. I agree with all that are saying that is a joke in itself, because it truly is. I'm with you on your opinion of the rankings though. I disagree that Breathitt County is the number one team, it's Bell County in my book as well. Thing is, like everyone else has said, pre-season rankings don't mean diddly squat. All they are is hogwash and mixed opinions. I respect all of the guys at WYMT that put the rankings together. I might disagree with them, but is that a reason to call them and what they do a "joke"? I don't think so.
When it is all said and done, what does the top ten really mean? Seriously, NAIA polls, BCS polls. All that matters is where you finish at the end. Win a state championship and that is all that matters. Yes, Bell County won last year, but lost a lot of their experience players at skill positions. They will need to prove themselves early and they will get a sure test on Friday when they take on Alcoa.

Breathitt pretty much returns everyone from a state runner up team. They are already proven. If Bell County is indeed a better team, they will in fact prove it right away, and if so, you will see them back in the #1 spot. So, I wouldn't really worry.

Just let them play the games, and let the players do what they need to do. The rest will take care of itself.

The Mountain Top Ten teams tells you who some of the better teams in the mountains are, yes, but its more of a discussion starter, and once again, it has set out to do what it is meant to do. It has everyone talking.

I love my job!!!

- Derek Forrest
rock19701 Wrote:When it is all said and done, what does the top ten really mean? Seriously, NAIA polls, BCS polls. All that matters is where you finish at the end. Win a state championship and that is all that matters. Yes, Bell County won last year, but lost a lot of their experience players at skill positions. They will need to prove themselves early and they will get a sure test on Friday when they take on Alcoa.

Breathitt pretty much returns everyone from a state runner up team. They are already proven. If Bell County is indeed a better team, they will in fact prove it right away, and if so, you will see them back in the #1 spot. So, I wouldn't really worry.

Just let them play the games, and let the players do what they need to do. The rest will take care of itself.

The Mountain Top Ten teams tells you who some of the better teams in the mountains are, yes, but its more of a discussion starter, and once again, it has set out to do what it is meant to do. It has everyone talking.

I love my job!!!

- Derek Forrest

It cannot be said better then this. Excellent post.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:My money says the coaches chose Mayfield as pre-season #1 in the mountains.

That's impossible you big dummy! Mayfield lost 3/4 of their starters!

:biggrin:
I think Bell will prove that they are worthy of #1 billing. Enough said!
Cory's 40 time comes from the combine in Atlanta over the summer that was laser timed. Belive it or not we really don't care. As far as I know we have only had 4 players at Bell run under a 4.5. Dallas Greer at 4.49 at the Nike Combine before his Sr. year. (UK offered the following week) Shawn Robbins 4.45 (anyone want to argue Shawn's speed????? I did not think so!) Now Raines and Davenport.

Don't try to act like numbers are inflated b/c they are not at Bell co. :please:

We appreciate everything WYMT does for mountain sports. But how in the world does a defending 4A State Champ that was 15-0, broke numerous defensive state records (returning 7 starters on defense) not open as #1 in the pre-season poll????:lmao:
Brian Milam Wrote:Bell County is going to be a very good team!! "Wondering" why people get so worked up when it's just a pre-season poll. If you guys could only see who the coaches voted for, you would be surprised. That is confidential. Go Cats beat Alcoa!

I have no problem being ranked # 2. That just gives you something to work for. The main goal is to get Bowling Green regardless of any poll.
Just for the record, I think WYMT does a very good and fair job covering all of the mountain schools. Bell will be just fine at # 2 for now.
But, I will disagree with one thing Brian said. I would not be surprised who the coaches voted # 1. There's many reasons for that and those who are around all of the programs know why. But, none the less, it's no big deal.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:4.3? Wow! Which schools are recruiting him? That would make him easily the fastest player to ever come out of the mountains, David Jones only ran a 4.4

Corey ran a 4.43 at the combine.
You like to see this kid run the football.
What makes him so good running the ball is, he's just as quick as he is fast. Not all back's have both.
It's legit EKUALUM05-4.43.
Plus he is a Sophmore so recruiting is limited.