Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paintsville Votes Wet
OrangenowBlue Wrote:I think being wet is the only perogative. Paintsville is similar in size to Hazard and Wise, Va and they both have Applebees.

The talk is, that Applebees's is interested in the area behind Walmart, up on the hill. I have heard Reno's downtown, but I think that tale might be confused with the steakhouse the guy is putting in the old Terry Office Supply building.
PAINTSVILLE, Ky. (WSAZ) -- Paintsville City Council members have set the rules and regulations for alcohol sales in the town.

City Council drafted the ordinance and approved the first reading Monday.

The proposed ordinance will allow restaurants, hotels, stores and caterers to sell alcohol from six in the morning to midnight. No Sunday sales will be allowed.

http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/50127227.html
TheRealVille Wrote:PAINTSVILLE, Ky. (WSAZ) -- Paintsville City Council members have set the rules and regulations for alcohol sales in the town.

City Council drafted the ordinance and approved the first reading Monday.

The proposed ordinance will allow restaurants, hotels, stores and caterers to sell alcohol from six in the morning to midnight. No Sunday sales will be allowed.

http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/50127227.html

So they will have package stores but not bars.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:So they will have package stores but not bars.
Right. Kentucky law says there can be no bars in Paintsville. 4th class city. I'm not even sure if they mean package stores or stores like Walmart, Foodcity and Rite-Aid.
After several years of denying the vote, the year 2009 finally proves to be a lucky year for some. Although others are thrilled, several people are upset. I think it is a very good thing though. Firstly, Paintsville can have a larger variety of good restaurants. Rumored to go into Paintsville are Texas Roadhouse, Outback, and Golden Corral. Terry's old office supply is also going to be remodeled and turned into a local bar. Secondly, more money into the city funds. Lastly, people worry about drunk driving but it was worse before because people had to drive to Floyd or MAGOFFIN, RISKING THE CHANCE OF a WRECK. Now they can just get the alcohol and take it home. No worries, it will all be worth it in the end and the little city of Paintsville will prosper.
Miss ESPN Wrote:After several years of denying the vote, the year 2009 finally proves to be a lucky year for some. Although others are thrilled, several people are upset. I think it is a very good thing though. Firstly, Paintsville can have a larger variety of good restaurants. Rumored to go into Paintsville are Texas Roadhouse, Outback, and Golden Corral. Terry's old office supply is also going to be remodeled and turned into a local bar. Secondly, more money into the city funds. Lastly, people worry about drunk driving but it was worse before because people had to drive to Floyd or MAGOFFIN, RISKING THE CHANCE OF a WRECK. Now they can just get the alcohol and take it home. No worries, it will all be worth it in the end and the little city of Paintsville will prosper.

1.Golden Corral does not serve alcohol .

2.Betcha that the other two dont come either.

3.Nothing "good" comes from alcohol, period.
I doubt we will ever see an Outback or Texas Roadhouse in Johnson County.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:1.Golden Corral does not serve alcohol .

2.Betcha that the other two dont come either.

3.Nothing "good" comes from alcohol, period.

Haha. Are they drunks relieving themselves in the streets too.
I don't drink but i can recognize the benifits. Increased revenue in a down economy is a good thing. Tax money for the city is a good thing. It doesn't mean you have to drink once your city goes wet. The drunks have always been there and always will. Now you will just get some money off them.
Miss ESPN Wrote:After several years of denying the vote, the year 2009 finally proves to be a lucky year for some. Although others are thrilled, several people are upset. I think it is a very good thing though. Firstly, Paintsville can have a larger variety of good restaurants. Rumored to go into Paintsville are Texas Roadhouse, Outback, and Golden Corral. Terry's old office supply is also going to be remodeled and turned into a local bar. Secondly, more money into the city funds. Lastly, people worry about drunk driving but it was worse before because people had to drive to Floyd or MAGOFFIN, RISKING THE CHANCE OF a WRECK. Now they can just get the alcohol and take it home. No worries, it will all be worth it in the end and the little city of Paintsville will prosper.
No, it isn't going to be a bar. Bars aren't allowed. It is going to be a "high end" steak and rib place, from the words of the owner.
Matman Wrote:Haha. Are they drunks relieving themselves in the streets too.
I don't drink but i can recognize the benifits. Increased revenue in a down economy is a good thing. Tax money for the city is a good thing. It doesn't mean you have to drink once your city goes wet. The drunks have always been there and always will. Now you will just get some money off them.
100% right. :Thumbs:
Old School Wrote:I doubt we will ever see an Outback or Texas Roadhouse in Johnson County.
On Outback, I would bet you're right. On Texas Roadhouse, I'd would guess you're probably right also.
Matman Wrote:Haha. Are they drunks relieving themselves in the streets too.

I realize the point that you are trying to make. It's just a shallow consolation for me, however. I'm just coming off of a 20 year business relationship in which my partner became an alcoholic. For the last 15 years he has not only destroyed his business career , but now he is very near the end of his life, simply because of what alcohol has done to his physical and mental health. I have seen him not only destroy his career and health, but his family life has been in shambles for the last 15 years. A person that was formerly considered one of the communities finest and respected citizens is now considered nothing more than Johnson County's own version of Otis Campbell. It's been a sad thing to watch. I personally have to stick with my statement of nothing ''Good". The money part to me is meaningless when you see a full productive life destroyed. Would it also be a benefit to the community if we legalized the sale of crystal meth just to collect tax revenue? Tell me the difference.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:I realize the point that you are trying to make. It's just a shallow consolation for me, however. I'm just coming off of a 20 year business relationship in which my partner became an alcoholic. For the last 15 years he has not only destroyed his business career , but now he is very near the end of his life, simply because of what alcohol has done to his physical and mental health. I have seen him not only destroy his career and health, but his family life has been in shambles for the last 15 years. A person that was formerly considered one of the communities finest and respected citizens is now considered nothing more than Johnson County's own version of Otis Campbell. It's been a sad thing to watch. I personally have to stick with my statement of nothing ''Good". The money part to me is meaningless when you see a full productive life destroyed. Would it also be a benefit to the community if we legalized the sale of crystal meth just to collect tax revenue? Tell me the difference.
This is just one person. It is a sad situation, but everyone that drinks doesn't end up like that. I take an occasional drink of wine or beer and never even get tipsy. Responsibility is key to a lot of subjects, not just alcohol.
TheRealVille Wrote:This is just one person. It is a sad situation, but everyone that drinks doesn't end up like that. I take an occasional drink of wine or beer and never even get tipsy. Responsibility is key to a lot of subjects, not just alcohol.
Understand and dont disagree with you on that. I can fully respect your position. Unfortunately he is not just one person. He is a single unit of a multitude with a similar vice.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:I realize the point that you are trying to make. It's just a shallow consolation for me, however. I'm just coming off of a 20 year business relationship in which my partner became an alcoholic. For the last 15 years he has not only destroyed his business career , but now he is very near the end of his life, simply because of what alcohol has done to his physical and mental health. I have seen him not only destroy his career and health, but his family life has been in shambles for the last 15 years. A person that was formerly considered one of the communities finest and respected citizens is now considered nothing more than Johnson County's own version of Otis Campbell. It's been a sad thing to watch. I personally have to stick with my statement of nothing ''Good". The money part to me is meaningless when you see a full productive life destroyed. Would it also be a benefit to the community if we legalized the sale of crystal meth just to collect tax revenue? Tell me the difference.

Yes it is sad that some people can not control themselves. But they are more issues than alcohol ussually that needs to be addressed. Alcohol often is how the deeper issues manifest.
I just dread the day when I turn on the radio or tv and they're reporting a fatality in Johnson County, because someone thought they were superman and was buzz driving or driving under the influence. Many are in a panic trying to find out who died, was it a loved one, friend, neighbor or co-worker etc.

The questions is not will it happen but when it will happen, and to whom.
Old School Wrote:I just dread the day when I turn on the radio or tv and they're reporting a fatality in Johnson County, because someone thought they were superman and was buzz driving or driving under the influence. Many are in a panic trying to find out who died, was it a loved one, friend, neighbor or co-worker etc.

The questions is not will it happen but when it will happen, and to whom.

So you think they drink and drive any less right now? Do you realize that historically, dui's go down after a county goes wet? I read an article about a county in Northern KY went wet, and alcohol related accidents and dui's went down. You think people in Johnson county don't drink because it's dry? That people will start drinking just because it's wet? You must not realize that there ia a liquor store 5 minutes from town.
Old School, since my oldest child started driving 14 years ago I've had that same fear and Paintsville hasn't been wet 30 days yet. Those types of statements stereotype the thinking that has kept us dry for 60 plus years. If we don't do something or change something because of fear we would never progress. Fear will forevery be a thought in our minds, but we have to overcome our fears before we can move forward.

Yes, we will have drunk drivers involved in accidents, but that isn't a change from the past. There will always be someone who thinks they aren't to drunk to dry, or to drunk to realize they can't drive. We have those on the road everyday, everynight.....past and future.
TheRealVille Wrote:So you think they drink and drive any less right now? Do you realize that historically, dui's go down after a county goes wet? I read an article about a county in Northern KY went wet, and alcohol related accidents and dui's went down. You think people in Johnson county don't drink because it's dry? That people will start drinking just because it's wet? You must not realize that there ia a liquor store 5 minutes from town.

This is exactly right. Whenever you are closer to home, you have more access to someone who will give you a ride or someone to come pick you up. Gun Control doesn't take guns out of the hand of the criminals and dry counties doesn't keep alcohol out of the hands of the drunks and drunk drivers that live there. Do you think that Johnson County is a safer and purer county now than Floyd and Magoffin(who are both wet). If you watch WYMT or read the newspapers, Johnson County is always in the news over numerous criminal acts of behavior that don't involve drinking.
Youngerthandirt Wrote:Old School, since my oldest child started driving 14 years ago I've had that same fear and Paintsville hasn't been wet 30 days yet. Those types of statements stereotype the thinking that has kept us dry for 60 plus years. If we don't do something or change something because of fear we would never progress. Fear will forevery be a thought in our minds, but we have to overcome our fears before we can move forward.

Yes, we will have drunk drivers involved in accidents, but that isn't a change from the past. There will always be someone who thinks they aren't to drunk to dry, or to drunk to realize they can't drive. We have those on the road everyday, everynight.....past and future.

And that has not been such a bad thing, IMO.
TheRealVille Wrote:So you think they drink and drive any less right now? Do you realize that historically, dui's go down after a county goes wet? I read an article about a county in Northern KY went wet, and alcohol related accidents and dui's went down. You think people in Johnson county don't drink because it's dry? That people will start drinking just because it's wet? You must not realize that there ia a liquor store 5 minutes from town.

Did I say they drink and drive less now.....no I did not. You've mentioned dui's going down after a county goes wet before....sorry but I didn't believe it then and I don't believe it now. The fact is that people are killed or seriously injured by drunk drivers everyday regardless if it the city/county are wet or dry. Something you and everyone else who voted for Paintsville to be wet, can't ignore is that during the time that Paintsville is wet, people will be killed or injured by drunk drivers who purchased their beer/liquor in the city. Granted it may be 1 or it may be 100, nobody knows, but in my opinion 1 life is to many.

Let me ask you and everyone else who voted yes this question, regardless if it's 1 week after sales start or 5 years after sales start, whenever someone is killed by a drunk driver who purchased their alcohol in Paintsville, could you go their family and say yes I voted for the legalization of alcohol sales. I don't know about you but I couldn't.
Old School Wrote:Did I say they drink and drive less now.....no I did not. You've mentioned dui's going down after a county goes wet before....sorry but I didn't believe it then and I don't believe it now. The fact is that people are killed or seriously injured by drunk drivers everyday regardless if it the city/county are wet or dry. Something you and everyone else who voted for Paintsville to be wet, can't ignore is that during the time that Paintsville is wet, people will be killed or injured by drunk drivers who purchased their beer/liquor in the city. Granted it may be 1 or it may be 100, nobody knows, but in my opinion 1 life is to many.

Let me ask you and everyone else who voted yes this question, regardless if it's 1 week after sales start or 5 years after sales start, whenever someone is killed by a drunk driver who purchased their alcohol in Paintsville, could you go their family and say yes I voted for the legalization of alcohol sales. I don't know about you but I couldn't.

If they are going to get killed by a drunk driver, it will be his fault, not mine. Regardless of where he bought it. If the person is going to drink and drive, he will get it somewhere.
Johnson is one of the top meth counties in KY, maybe you should concentrate your efforts there.
[quote=Youngerthandirt]Old School, since my oldest child started driving 14 years ago I've had that same fear and Paintsville hasn't been wet 30 days yet. Those types of statements stereotype the thinking that has kept us dry for 60 plus years. If we don't do something or change something because of fear we would never progress. Fear will forevery be a thought in our minds, but we have to overcome our fears before we can move forward.

Yes, we will have drunk drivers involved in accidents, but that isn't a change from the past. There will always be someone who thinks they aren't to drunk to dry, or to drunk to realize they can't drive. We have those on the road everyday, everynight.....past and future.[/QUOTE]

My biggest fear is that innocent people including children will be hurt, todays highways are dangerous enough with drivers trying to use cell phone or send text messages, and let's not forget the ones that are high on drugs, now add drinking while behind the wheel. As I said in my previous post there may only be 1 person killed or there may be 100 but in my book 1 is to many.

I agree they are enough drunks on the roads as it is now, I'm sure there will be more, I hope I'm wrong, in fact I pray that I'm wrong.
TheRealVille Wrote:If they are going to get killed by a drunk driver, it will be his fault, not mine. Regardless of where he bought it. If the person is going to drink and drive, he will get it somewhere.

But if you voted to legalize alcohol sales shouldn't you take some of the responibility for what happens.
TheRealVille Wrote:Johnson is one of the top meth counties in KY, maybe you should concentrate your efforts there.

I would love to see them lock everyone of them up and throw away the key. :Thumbs:

Along with all the drunk drivers. :biggrin:
Old School Wrote:I would love to see them lock everyone of them up and throw away the key. :Thumbs:

Along with all the drunk drivers. :biggrin:
I agree with both statements. :Thumbs:
Old School Wrote:But if you voted to legalize alcohol sales shouldn't you take some of the responibility for what happens.
No, he will be responsible, he will buy it somewhere.
I believe this is the right decision by Paintsville to allow the selling of alcohol. Not because I'm a big fan of drinking or drunks in general but no matter what you do it's going to be around. By allowing the purchase of alcohol the county will make more money from tax revenues and keep business at home instead of losing it to the surrounding counties. Keeping it outlawed only shows stubbornness of the city and it's unwillingness to change with the times.
[quote=Mad Dog 420]I believe this is the right decision by Paintsville to allow the selling of alcohol. Not because I'm a big fan of drinking or drunks in general but no matter what you do it's going to be around. By allowing the purchase of alcohol the county will make more money from tax revenues and keep business at home instead of losing it to the surrounding counties. Keeping it outlawed only shows stubbornness of the city and it's unwillingness to change with the times.[/QUOTE]

Change with the times??? What does that mean? What does the times have to do with selling alcohol?

Nobody ever did answer my question of how legalizing alcohol just for the sake of creating tax revenue is any different than legalizing oxycontin or crystal meth to create tax revenue. Why cant the statement that a meth head is going to find it and buy it anyway, so the town might as well get the dopeheads money apply here? What's the difference?