Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN Ranks 2010 KY Recruits
BlackcatAlum Wrote:CandyMan was referring to my post in the Calipari in-state recruits thread.

Justice only had 2 turnovers against Elliott County and had 0 against Mason County.

Ricardo Johnson averaged 4.7 turnovers per game in the state tournament, 8 being the most against Lexington Catholic and 2 being the least against Elliott County.

http://www.cybersportsusa.com/webgames/g...RED-213983

Depends on which stats you looks at. According to the following link:

http://preps.cincinnati.com/playerStats....008&sp=100

Ricardo had the following amount of turnovers:

v Christian Co- 3
v Lexcath- 6
v Elliott Co- 2
v Central- 4

Either way, Ricardo's credentials speak for themselves. He has shut down a long list of very good players:

Sanford- Lexcath (6 pts, 8pts)
Phares- Scott Co (3 pts)
Mcfarland- Boone (5 pts)
Cox- Ballard (9 pts)
Wilson- Christian Co (7 pts)
Miller- Knox Central (5 pts)
Ashford- Bryan Station (12 pts)
Ferguson- Elliott Co (15 pts)

All of those players were All State this past year and held well below their season averages when they had to go head to head against Rico. Tough to argue against him when the stats back it up.
Only thing we have come up with is that the two are arguably the state's top prospects and arguably the states best defenders.

There's only one way to find out if the two can stop one another, schedule one another.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Depends on which stats you looks at. According to the following link:

http://preps.cincinnati.com/playerStats....008&sp=100

Ricardo had the following amount of turnovers:

v Christian Co- 3
v Lexcath- 6
v Elliott Co- 2
v Central- 4

Either way, Ricardo's credentials speak for themselves. He has shut down a long list of very good players:

Sanford- Lexcath (6 pts, 8pts)
Phares- Scott Co (3 pts)
Mcfarland- Boone (5 pts)
Cox- Ballard (9 pts)
Wilson- Christian Co (7 pts)
Miller- Knox Central (5 pts)
Ashford- Bryan Station (12 pts)
Ferguson- Elliott Co (15 pts)

All of those players were All State this past year and held well below their season averages when they had to go head to head against Rico. Tough to argue against him when the stats back it up.
It's nice to have an informed poster, that has these crazy things called facts.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Only thing we have come up with is that the two are arguably the state's top prospects and arguably the states best defenders.

There's only one way to find out if the two can stop one another, schedule one another.

Very true. I'd love to see a Holmes- Shelby Valley game. Only problem is SV doesn't consistantly schedule top 20 teams...last year EC was the only one they played before the state tourney and that was only because they met in the All A.
Panther Thunder Wrote:It's nice to have an informed poster, that has these crazy things called facts.

:Thumbs:
kywldcat01 Wrote:Again, Elisha is a very good player and will find a nice home at the next level whether it be small D1 or high D2, but he is no where near the talent of Ricardo Johnson, Elijah Pittman, Ge'Lawn Guyn, Aaron Cosby, Chad Jackson, Jeremiah Johnson, or Josh Sewell. All of those kids are high major talents that will contribute wherever they go as freshmen.

Just because a kid has a good high school career and performs well in his part of the state, doesn't automatically make them a top 5 player when it comes to how their game translates to the next level. (See Jon Ferguson in this years' class)

If SV plays a tough schedule this coming season, consistently playing top 20 teams, and Justice still performs at the same level, I'll gladly eat crow. Until he proves himself against solid instate competition though, it's tough to put him on the same level of those mentioned above who have been consistently doing it the past two or three years against the states' best.

don't u think he preformed with the states best at the state tourny? or preformed well at the ALL A those 2 touney's are supposed to have the states best in them is Justice a major D1 school recruit no but he is a solid player and a top 5 in the state he can hang with any of them just unlike Pittman and Johnson at holmes he dont have the athletic group of guys around him like they have
the 1 the only Wrote:don't u think he preformed with the states best at the state tourny? or preformed well at the ALL A those 2 touney's are supposed to have the states best in them is Justice a major D1 school recruit no but he is a solid player and a top 5 in the state he can hang with any of them just unlike Pittman and Johnson at holmes he dont have the athletic group of guys around him like they have

You put Elisha on a Lexington/Lousiville team, that team just upgraded to a state title contender.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Only thing we have come up with is that the two are arguably the state's top prospects and arguably the states best defenders.

yea, that would be great to watch. But dont see Booher schedule that game. But I have herd that he would be beefing up the schedule for next season tho.
NYY10 Wrote:yea, that would be great to watch. But dont see Booher schedule that game. But I have herd that he would be beefing up the schedule for next season tho.

I think their Holiday tournament will be out West this year.
What is wrong with you people??? Elisha Justice doesn't have a snowballs chance in **** playing major D1 basketball. NO WAY!! I can't wait till this time next year when this Justice talk is over. He is small probably going to play at the D2 level or NAIA. Wake up folks and just be happy for the kid that he will have an opportunity to play college basketball and quit trying to make him something he's not.:rockon:
kywldcat01 Wrote:Very true. I'd love to see a Holmes- Shelby Valley game. Only problem is SV doesn't consistantly schedule top 20 teams...last year EC was the only one they played before the state tourney and that was only because they met in the All A.

They did schedule Dunbar (don't know if they were top 20 or not), and Henry Clay (I think they were in some polls). Dunbar cancelled on them and then would not reschedule after Valley had gone there the year before.

I do agree that the schedule needs to have some of the top teams around the state on it though. I would like to see them play in a couple of the in state tournaments instead of playing out of state tournaments.
TheCandyManIsBack Wrote:This is funny, sure guys, we can get on to people from the Herald like Boulus, but seriously, you don't debate ESPN rankings.

Then you obviously have no idea who Matt St. John is, or you have never watched him play. It is almost comical to rank him in the top 10 of seniors to be, but to put him at #2 is completely outrageous. He should be somewhere around the bottom of the top 25 (because of his great size). But dont get me wrong he has what a lot of other kids dont, he is around 6'9"-6'10" about 270 pounds. So with his frame he has great potential, but he doesn't have the skill right now.
goBIGblue82 Wrote:Then you obviously have no idea who Matt St. John is, or you have never watched him play. It is almost comical to rank him in the top 10 of seniors to be, but to put him at #2 is completely outrageous. He should be somewhere around the bottom of the top 25 (because of his great size). But dont get me wrong he has what a lot of other kids dont, he is around 6'9"-6'10" about 270 pounds. So with his frame he has great potential, but he doesn't have the skill right now.

Some don't make sense.
Arkansas Brewer #16, has not played high school basketball since his freshman year, he did not even play at Southern, he played at Newport.

There are some in the top 10 that did not even start for their high school varsity team this past year.
zulu Wrote:What is wrong with you people??? Elisha Justice doesn't have a snowballs chance in **** playing major D1 basketball. NO WAY!! I can't wait till this time next year when this Justice talk is over. He is small probably going to play at the D2 level or NAIA. Wake up folks and just be happy for the kid that he will have an opportunity to play college basketball and quit trying to make him something he's not.:rockon:

How do you com eup with this. you have been hating on valley all year and they prove you wrong all the time. he played in nashville this past weekend and got interviewed by espn people. he is talking to Arkansas, marshall, EKU, Western KY, Morehead, and then recently navy. how eill he not play d-1. you onviously have no idea what you are talking about.
the 1 the only Wrote:don't u think he preformed with the states best at the state tourny? or preformed well at the ALL A those 2 touney's are supposed to have the states best in them is Justice a major D1 school recruit no but he is a solid player and a top 5 in the state he can hang with any of them just unlike Pittman and Johnson at holmes he dont have the athletic group of guys around him like they have

I wouldn't exactly call Mason and Elliott Co the states' best. They are both solid teams but weren't top 5 for a reason. And the All "A" is actually a rather weak tournament because it's only "A" schools and the majority of them aren't very good. The KOB, LIT, and Lexcath tourney are all 3 better tournaments than the All "A". The KOB and LIT are considered two of the best tournaments in the country.

I agree Justice is a solid player..I won't argue that at all. He isn't top 5 in the state though. Top 10? Yes...but I'd have him behind R. Johnson, Guyn, Jackson, Cosby, Sewell, J. Johnson, and Gibbs.

PC_You_Know Wrote:You put Elisha on a Lexington/Lousiville team, that team just upgraded to a state title contender.

Disagree on that. Adding Justice to one of the ELITE Lex/Lou. teams would upgrade them to title contenders though. As you saw with Scott Co though, adding a top player doesn't make you a lock to win anything. Holmes took Scott Co behind the woodshed when they played, despite what the score may suggest.

SwildcatV Wrote:How do you com eup with this. you have been hating on valley all year and they prove you wrong all the time. he played in nashville this past weekend and got interviewed by espn people. he is talking to Arkansas, marshall, EKU, Western KY, Morehead, and then recently navy. how eill he not play d-1. you onviously have no idea what you are talking about.

And of those schools, how many of them are actually high-mid major D1 schools? None...which is why I said Elisha would likely play at the LOW level of D1 ball, which is still an accomplishment. I doubt Arkansas offers him...walk on, maybe.
kywldcat01 Wrote:I wouldn't exactly call Mason and Elliott Co the states' best. They are both solid teams but weren't top 5 for a reason. And the All "A" is actually a rather weak tournament because it's only "A" schools and the majority of them aren't very good. The KOB, LIT, and Lexcath tourney are all 3 better tournaments than the All "A". The KOB and LIT are considered two of the best tournaments in the country.

I agree Justice is a solid player..I won't argue that at all. He isn't top 5 in the state though. Top 10? Yes...but I'd have him behind R. Johnson, Guyn, Jackson, Cosby, Sewell, J. Johnson, and Gibbs.

Disagree on that. Adding Justice to one of the ELITE Lex/Lou. teams would upgrade them to title contenders though. As you saw with Scott Co though, adding a top player doesn't make you a lock to win anything. Holmes took Scott Co behind the woodshed when they played, despite what the score may suggest.

And of those schools, how many of them are actually high-mid major D1 schools? None...which is why I said Elisha would likely play at the LOW level of D1 ball, which is still an accomplishment. I doubt Arkansas offers him...walk on, maybe.

Sure, if we're talking the top 100 tournaments.

No one said lock, contender was said.

I think Arkansas, WKU and Morehead all are mid-high D-1, WKU and Moreahed were in the tourny, WKU won a game, and Arkansas was one of the few teams to beat Oklahoma this past season.
PC_You_Know Wrote:[/B]

Sure, if we're talking the top 100 tournaments.

No one said lock, contender was said.

I think Arkansas, WKU and Morehead all are mid-high D-1, WKU and Moreahed were in the tourny, WKU won a game, and Arkansas was one of the few teams to beat Oklahoma this past season.

Actually it was in a USA Today article that the KOB is one of the top 15 best Christmas tournaments in the country. .

I wouldn't consider WKU or Morehead mid-high D1...especially not Morehead. You gotta be kidding me if you think they're a mid major. Butler and Gonzaga are mid major programs...Morehead isn't even in the same league as those guys. The OVC is a joke of a conference and so is the Sun Belt. Those are both low major conferences.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Actually it was in a USA Today article that the KOB is one of the top 15 best Christmas tournaments in the country. .

I wouldn't consider WKU or Morehead mid-high D1...especially not Morehead. You gotta be kidding me if you think they're a mid major. Butler and Gonzaga are mid major programs...Morehead isn't even in the same league as those guys. The OVC is a joke of a conference and so is the Sun Belt. Those are both low major conferences.

The term for "mid-major" is a team not within' the BCS power conferences. So yes, WKU, EKU, Morehead, etc. are mid-major programs.

WKU actually has a better basketball resume than some power conference teams. They also have a legit basketball program.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:The term for "mid-major" is a team not within' the BCS power conferences. So yes, WKU, EKU, Morehead, etc. are mid-major programs.

WKU actually has a better basketball resume than some power conference teams. They also have a legit basketball program.

Actually...the conferences are broken down like this:

BCS:
ACC
Big 12
Big East
Big Ten
Pac 10
SEC

High Major:
Atlantic 10
Conference USA
MVC
MWC
WAC

Mid Major:
Big West
Colonial
Horizon
MAC
MAAC
Southern
Sunbelt (Western KY)
WCC

Low Major:
American East
Atlantic Sun
Big South
Big Sky
Ivy
MEAC
North East
Ohio Valley (Morehead St, Eastern Kentucky)
Patriot
Southland
Summit
SWAC

So technically, yes WKU is a mid major, but Morehead and EKU are both low majors, like I said.
Bottom line is this is a weak class!
SwildcatV Wrote:How do you com eup with this. you have been hating on valley all year and they prove you wrong all the time. he played in nashville this past weekend and got interviewed by espn people. he is talking to Arkansas, marshall, EKU, Western KY, Morehead, and then recently navy. how eill he not play d-1. you onviously have no idea what you are talking about.

Oh he could possible sign D1 with all the hype he's getting, but if he does he will set on the bench. Just look at Clark Stepp who is probably a better player than Justice and what did he do this past year at his big D1 school? He set the bench all year and did not play and will probably end up back at ALC. He is a D2 or NAIA player and I no one can convence me ohterwise. I guess we will just have to wait and see.
5throundball Wrote:Bottom line is this is a weak class!

Are you serious? How can you call this class weak when there are ATLEAST 15 kids who will play at the D1 level and 5 already have offers as juniors? Look at the scouting reports...every "expert" predicts this is one of the deepest and most talented classes in KY history. Mark it down..the following players will play at the D1 level:

R. Johnson- Holmes
Pittman- Holmes
J. Johnson- Holmes
Jackson- Scott Co
Euton- Scott Co
Guyn- Scott Co
Cosby- Jeffersontown
Jackson- Jeffersontown
Sewell- Trinity
Gibbs- Iroquois
St. John- South Laurel
Justice- Shelby Valley
Watts- Mccreary Central
Wilson- Christian Co
Bradshaw- Southern

Outside of those, I'm sure a few of the following could possibly play for a low major D1 as well:

Keisten Jones- Ballard
Ian Chiles- Ballard
Josh Whitaker- Hazard
Phil Barner- Mason Co
kywldcat01 Wrote:Again, Elisha is a very good player and will find a nice home at the next level whether it be small D1 or high D2, but he is no where near the talent of Ricardo Johnson, Elijah Pittman, Ge'Lawn Guyn, Aaron Cosby, Chad Jackson, Jeremiah Johnson, or Josh Sewell. All of those kids are high major talents that will contribute wherever they go as freshmen.

Just because a kid has a good high school career and performs well in his part of the state, doesn't automatically make them a top 5 player when it comes to how their game translates to the next level. (See Jon Ferguson in this years' class)

If SV plays a tough schedule this coming season, consistently playing top 20 teams, and Justice still performs at the same level, I'll gladly eat crow. Until he proves himself against solid instate competition though, it's tough to put him on the same level of those mentioned above who have been consistently doing it the past two or three years against the states' best.

what the heck is high D2....is there mid-major D2, high NAIA...bottom line is he will make someone a nice college player whether its at georgetown college, northern kentucky, or eku....the level really doesn't matter that much in a lot of these cases. The best naia teams are better than D2 schools
I dont see 15 out of this class playing D1. Didnt just a handful of the 2009 class get scholarships to play D1? Hopefully I am wrong.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Actually...the conferences are broken down like this:

BCS:
ACC
Big 12
Big East
Big Ten
Pac 10
SEC

High Major:
Atlantic 10
Conference USA
MVC
MWC
WAC

Mid Major:
Big West
Colonial
Horizon
MAC
MAAC
Southern
Sunbelt (Western KY)
WCC

Low Major:
American East
Atlantic Sun
Big South
Big Sky
Ivy
MEAC
North East
Ohio Valley (Morehead St, Eastern Kentucky)
Patriot
Southland
Summit
SWAC

So technically, yes WKU is a mid major, but Morehead and EKU are both low majors, like I said.

you def. made up this info. becasue the rankings of conferences switch each year, wku is good, but there conferences rpi was lower than the ovc's for a number of years....the rpi of the conference is how they are really ranked, and bcs conference schools are high major...then these other conferences are mid majors, it can switch easily from year to year depending on what kind of talent schools in those conferences get....those low major schools are just lower mid majors but they are still mid majors
5throundball Wrote:I dont see 15 out of this class playing D1. Didnt just a handful of the 2009 class get scholarships to play D1? Hopefully I am wrong.

The c/o 2009 was no where near as strong as next year's class. There are still a lot of undecided seniors though.

BTW, this is from an article about the c/o 2010:

The 2010 class maybe the deepest class in Kentucky history. There are over 20 kids in this class that should play high major to mid major basketball in the future. We start at the top with a very talented guard from Covington Holmes, Ricardo Johnson.....

http://www.hoopsreport.com/news/areastat...uckyreport
1a. Ricardo Johnson
1b. Elijah Pittman

To have Johnson any lower than #2 if not #1 is illogical
TCTB_FACE Wrote:you def. made up this info. becasue the rankings of conferences switch each year, wku is good, but there conferences rpi was lower than the ovc's for a number of years....the rpi of the conference is how they are really ranked, and bcs conference schools are high major...then these other conferences are mid majors, it can switch easily from year to year depending on what kind of talent schools in those conferences get....those low major schools are just lower mid majors but they are still mid majors

You might want to do some research before you call me out and say I'm making something up. From collegehoops.net:

The difference in avg RPI between the best and worst BCS leagues (ACC & Pac-10) is 2.7, which is almost as big as the gap between the Pac-10 and the closest non-BCS league. While fans and administration in leagues like the A10 and MWC moan about how they shouldn't be categorized as lesser than the power conferences.. the reality is that there's a huge gap between BCS and non-BCS. Similarly, there's a big gap between what I would call the "high-majors" and everyone else.

Here's a link that also tells you which conferences are in which category (BCS, high major, mid major, low major)...scroll down to the bottom of the page and you'll see them listed:

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/rise-amp-...view-52032

NEXT! :dontthink Confusedhh:
Stardust Wrote:1a. Ricardo Johnson
1b. Elijah Pittman

To have Johnson any lower than #2 if not #1 is illogical

I agree. Pittman and R. Johnson are the two best players in the state, hands down for the c/o 2010.

No other junior boasts a more impressive resume than those two:

- 2 state championship appearances as starters
- 1 state championship
- 2 9th region championships
- 70-5 record over 2 yr span
- 1st team all state as juniors
- All nky team
- All Queencityhigh.com team (best in greater cincy)
- Ricardo Johnson- 9th region POY, Sweet 16 MVP, 9th region tourney MVP, 9th region all tourney team, 9th region defensive POY
TCTB_FACE Wrote:what the heck is high D2....is there mid-major D2, high NAIA...bottom line is he will make someone a nice college player whether its at georgetown college, northern kentucky, or eku....the level really doesn't matter that much in a lot of these cases. The best naia teams are better than D2 schools

Actually there is a difference at the D2 level in competition. Teams like NKU would be considered a "high/elite" D2 school whereas somewhere like West Liberty St. is considered a middle of the road D2 school. And of course NAIA is better than D2...NAIA is a knock off of D1. They're not as strict when it comes to recruiting and they get just as many scholarships as D1 programs, without the NCAA affiliation. You people on here should really do some research and get your facts straight before you call people out.