Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Travis Ford
Travis Ford is the man. Give better names that might come.
Stardust Wrote:Very fair, but BCG, just like my post to ColonelBill, you know that Knowing the "Kentucky Way" will mean nothing if UK is still fighting to get out of the NIT with a new coach. If the decision is made to bring in a 2nd tier guy, he will get eaten alive, no matter what the name on the front of his college jersey was, if he does not win, and win FAST.

Whoever it is, I wish luck to. I want UK to be successful. IMO, with more patience, we may well have got there with BCG. Who knows, it's all conjecture now. But in our Microwave soceity, where we don't want for the soup to cook up nice and thick on the stove top at three times the amount of time, we won't be forgiving of whoever the new coach is if he does not recruit the Blue Chip player, which Ford has never done, or get us to elite status that comes from a pedigreed coach.

I think you miss the point. Most people did not want BCG fired because they were impatient, but because they saw a coach on the sidelines who did not know what to do and made poor coaching decisions. I know you liked him and his coaching, but you are the minority. Top people in the college game have been saying he was over his head and looked lost. I would love to be back in the final four next year, but do not expect it. I just do not think UK fans deserve to lose games due to poor coaching. I can handle losing if the players are the total reason for the loses. UK gets enough talent every year and pays their coach enough to expect to make it in the big dance each year (they may be eliminated in first round but should at least make it into the dance).
I don't like the potential hire of Travis Ford at all. I agree with Stardust on this one for once. Gillispie resume is much better than Ford's. I don't think Ford is ready enough (as Gillispie wasn't) for this kind of mental position that being the head coach of Kentucky puts a person in.

Don't get me wrong, Travis Ford is a fine coach. Although he may be ready one day, I really don't think he is currently the guy Kentucky needs right now.

ESPN's Andy Katz reported on SportsCenter around 6 this afternoon, that a source has told him that Memphis's John Calipari would be "extremely interested" if Kentucky contacted him.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I disagree.

If Calipari is hired, he could bring in #1 recruit John Wall (point guard), and UK could possibly be a championship contender next season with the addition of Wall, Orton, Hood, Pilgrim, etc.

He's not going anywhere but its wishful thinking. Does anyone know if Orton knee surgery is going to hinder his mobility? It will take more than Wall to be a contender in the SEC in one season. It would take Calipari 2-3 seasons just like at Memphis. It took him a little while to build UMass and then followed Camby to the NBA. Calipari would be the best choice because of exp. of coaching at a higher level though. Just dont see it happening.
Now What Wrote:He's not going anywhere but its wishful thinking. Does anyone know if Orton knee surgery is going to hinder his mobility? It will take more than Wall to be a contender in the SEC in one season. It would take Calipari 2-3 seasons just like at Memphis. It took him a little while to build UMass and then followed Camby to the NBA. Calipari would be the best choice because of exp. of coaching at a higher level though. Just dont see it happening.

Kentucky has two all-americans on their team already. With the addition of a future #1 pick in the draft and the addition of Orton, Hood, Pilgrim, and another year of improvement out of Miller than Kentucky will be a championship contender.
After hearing Andy Katz I really think that if UK goes after John Calipari we will have him. I think Cal would love the idea of coaching at UK. I thought it was funny that Dicky V and Resse Davis were talking good about UK for a change and Dicky V saying that John Calipari or Rick Barnes would be great choices for UK to go after.
Captain_44 Wrote:After hearing Andy Katz I really think that if UK goes after John Calipari we will have him. I think Cal would love the idea of coaching at UK. I thought it was funny that Dicky V and Resse Davis were talking good about UK for a change and Dicky V saying that John Calipari or Rick Barnes would be great choices for UK to go after.

Has this ever happened before?:p
yeah every once in a while....maybe there isnt anything good to say...
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Has this ever happened before?:p

I was in total shock when I heard it, lol.
Travis Ford is the most egocentric jerk that I have ever met.
FBALL Wrote:Travis Ford is the most egocentric jerk that I have ever met.

I kinda like the guy when I met him several years ago but he was buying all the beer then so that might have been it.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:I don't like the potential hire of Travis Ford at all. I agree with Stardust on this one for once. Gillispie resume is much better than Ford's. I don't think Ford is ready enough (as Gillispie wasn't) for this kind of mental position that being the head coach of Kentucky puts a person in.

Don't get me wrong, Travis Ford is a fine coach. Although he may be ready one day, I really don't think he is currently the guy Kentucky needs right now.

ESPN's Andy Katz reported on SportsCenter around 6 this afternoon, that a source has told him that Memphis's John Calipari would be "extremely interested" if Kentucky contacted him.

I agree. Travis needs 3 to 5 years at a OSU or somewhere of that caliber before he is ready for UK IMO.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I disagree.

If Calipari is hired, he could bring in #1 recruit John Wall (point guard), and UK could possibly be a championship contender next season with the addition of Wall, Orton, Hood, Pilgrim, etc.

Tell me where Kentucky is going to get all those scholarships from?.. They can't offer scholarships they don't have. :ChairHit:
sstack Wrote:"putting us in no better of a situation", You are the one that was all for BCG and never stated he did wrong;are you now acting like it was bad?

You misunderstood my post. We will be in no better position with the program having to be rebuilt from virtual scratch. IMO, had BCG been given the chane to continue the process, we would have been back. Now, going for another coach who does not have the star power to immediately bring in Blue Chippers, the PROGRAM is potentially going to take a step back, and create more dissent with UK nation. Don't interpret what I said to mean I was not for BCG, that's not true. But that argument is completely over now. If the Cats cannot bring in a Pitino, Calipari or Donovan (which I am not completely sold on), we will bring in another coach who has to go through a process. Let's face it, the Cat fans were not willing to give a coach time, thus no matter what pedigree Ford has as being a former Cat, if he would not get this program to elite status immediately, he will be turned on as well.
sstack Wrote:I think you miss the point. Most people did not want BCG fired because they were impatient, but because they saw a coach on the sidelines who did not know what to do and made poor coaching decisions. I know you liked him and his coaching, but you are the minority. Top people in the college game have been saying he was over his head and looked lost. I would love to be back in the final four next year, but do not expect it. I just do not think UK fans deserve to lose games due to poor coaching. I can handle losing if the players are the total reason for the loses. UK gets enough talent every year and pays their coach enough to expect to make it in the big dance each year (they may be eliminated in first round but should at least make it into the dance).

Hunh - who is top people in the game that actually said that? I sure don't define TV analysts as top people in the game!

reminds some people of BCG Confusedhh: Oh, I forgot, he understands what it means to "Bleed Blue". That and another NIT, and people will want him to bleed Red!
mrfootball03 Wrote:Tell me where Kentucky is going to get all those scholarships from?.. They can't offer scholarships they don't have. :ChairHit:

Pretty good point, how many scholarships does UK have available if only the Seniors depart?
theVILLE Wrote:No way a Uk fan and understand it is none of my buisness....I think Ford would be a good one for the job....He is a proven winner...I mean he made the tourney every where he went....yeah that isnt saying much but better than they did this year, and he has been at EKU, UMASS, OK ST., so why not give him a try ....but on the other had I like VCU coach he could be a good one....Or calapari, its going to be hard to get him to come to Uk with the winning style he has there and UK is down at the bottom right now.....
I don't think it will be easy to get some of the good coaches. It is obvious that PR is more important than coaching. I think nexy yewaes coach will have a good year just because of the players he is getting. Just like tubby he got a great team left by rick, and stayed 10 years and did nothing else

Can't be that bad. I can count two hands' worth of high school coaches I've met who think they're all Bear Bryant or Rick Pitino and are actually more like Bud Kilmer.
the old WASP Wrote:I don't think it will be easy to get some of the good coaches. It is obvious that PR is more important than coaching. I think nexy yewaes coach will have a good year just because of the players he is getting. [COLOR="Red"]Just like tubby he got a great team left by rick, and stayed 10 years and did nothing else
[/COLOR]
Couldnt said it better.....SD dont see that though.....So he will argue with you...lol
Travis Ford is a jerk but so was Billy G. What does it matter though, were not gonna get a big coach so might as well take him.
the old WASP Wrote:I don't think it will be easy to get some of the good coaches. It is obvious that PR is more important than coaching. I think nexy yewaes coach will have a good year just because of the players he is getting. Just like tubby he got a great team left by rick, and stayed 10 years and did nothing else

This I hope. It's now open as to whether PP and Meeks still come back. For a top tier coach, i could see them back in Lexington, to a 2nd tier coach, i don't anticipate seeing those guys back in uniform
Stardust Wrote:I feel that Travis is putting us in no better of a situation than we just came from. Given time, Travis may be the guy, but seeing how it ended for Tubby and BCG, it would be a bad hire. Travis is less proven than BCG. BCG had a chance to prove himself with his own classes in proven conferences. He proved that he could recruit and he could win, but, he was given the time to build a program.

UK Fans want it NOW! They will turn on Travis, just as they did BCG. It's already been posted before by others, that Travis is no more savvy than BCG. So, from the Fan/Media perspective, it's not like you get anything better. Undestanding the UK tradition does not fly in the new century. So, the challenges that Travil will have as an unknown coach will make the recruiting process no better than what we have seen in the last 9 years. As far as resume? Travis has one in two converences that are not even considered mid-Major. He went to OSU and one with 9 of the teams top 10 players from the previous year, so just like when Tubby took over, Travis did not win with his team.

Don't get me wrong, I like Travis a lot. Is he ready for the fishbowl of UK, un-uh. This would be a "settle-for" hire. Look what that did for BCG.

How long exactly was BCG at UTEP and Texas A&M for him to rebuild those schools? No knock on Billy G, It just seems to me that Texas A&M already had the pieces, they just needed someone who could coach them.
goBIGblue82 Wrote:How long exactly was BCG at UTEP and Texas A&M for him to rebuild those schools? No knock on Billy G, It just seems to me that Texas A&M already had the pieces, they just needed someone who could coach them.

Please go the the Travis Ford thread, I've already posted a comparison of Ford and BCG, which should answer most of your questions.

Thx.
My bad, there are so many threads about the subject, i didn't know which one I was posting in

Stardust Wrote:Comparable, but IMO, not better:

Ford
Campbellsville (Mid South - no post-season games coached, not Division 1)
16-17
28-3
23-11

EKU (Ohio Valley)
7-19
7-20
11-17
14-15
22-9 (NCAA 1st round)

UMass (A-10)
13-15
24-9 (NIT 2nd round)
25-11 (NIT Finals)

OK State (Big 12)
23-12 (NCAA 2nd round)

From what I see, when Travis was given an opprotunity to put his program together, he was able to build success. The exception is OSU, where he inherited 9 of his top 10 players.

Overall record 210-156 - BUT 146-127 for D1, with one 1st place conference finnish, 2-NIT appearances and 2-NCAA appearances - or 4 post season appearances in 12 years of coaching.

Gillispie
UTEP (Western Athletic Conference)
6-24
24-8 (NCAA 1st round)

Texas A&M
21-10 (NIT quarterfinals)
22-9 (NCAA 2nd round)
27-7 (NCAA sweet 16)

Kentucky
18-13 (NCAA 1st round)
22-14 (NIT quarterfinals)

Overall record 140-85, with one 1st place and two 2nd place conference finishes. His record indicate that every school he coaches, he improves the overall team record every year. He has 6 post season appearances in his 7 years of coaching.

BCA - besides your gut feel for whose better, based on the numbers, who has been more successful?
TomSportsHack Wrote:Can't be that bad. I can count two hands' worth of high school coaches I've met who think they're all Bear Bryant or Rick Pitino and are actually more like Bud Kilmer.

Yes he can and is. He was that way when he was in high school. He was that way when he was a player at UK and I can't imagine he has changed his spots that much since he was at EKU.
Stardust Wrote:reminds some people of BCG Confusedhh: Oh, I forgot, he understands what it means to "Bleed Blue". That and another NIT, and people will want him to bleed Red!

I got to meet BCG last year. I liked him much better than Ford. BCG just doesn't have the communication skills and is some what of an odd man. Not really bad though. I saw him stand up for some of his players when others were questioning them. Ford to me just thinks his poop don't stink and could care less about anyone else. Really can't stand the guy. Couldn't stand him when he was at UK and still can't.
Has Ford made it to the S16? I know he's not coached at a powerhouse but we need a coach more proven than him. BillyG was much more proven than him. Could Ford recruit the big name recruits like BillyG? I doubt it. BillyG should have gotton one more year. But I would rather have Ford than Calipari.
FBALL Wrote:I got to meet BCG last year. I liked him much better than Ford. BCG just doesn't have the communication skills and is some what of an odd man. Not really bad though. I saw him stand up for some of his players when others were questioning them. Ford to me just thinks his poop don't stink and could care less about anyone else. Really can't stand the guy. Couldn't stand him when he was at UK and still can't.

I have not met either, but my nephew was at UK during the same period as Travis, and he was not a fan of him from a personal side. I have heard many of the same comments that you have made about him. IMO, if it's about polish, that many say BCG did not, have, well, it does not appear that Travis has it either.
Aslan Wrote:Has Ford made it to the S16? I know he's not coached at a powerhouse but we need a coach more proven than him. BillyG was much more proven than him. Could Ford recruit the big name recruits like BillyG? I doubt it. BillyG should have gotton one more year. But I would rather have Ford than Calipari.

Ok, You made a point that Ford has never made it to the Sweet 16, Calipari has, even the Championship game last season. You said Ford hasnt recuited big names, Calipari has. So why would you want Ford over Calipari? That doesnt make much sense.

I agree with the part Billy G should have got one more year.