Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sizes of Schools in the Sweet 16
I don't care if Valley fits the criteria or not, they were included, they won the whole thing. All that matters is that the committee who selects teams for the tournament included Shelby Valley.
justabballfan Wrote:I agree it don't, but it probably would have mean't more to you if EC would've won it wouldn't it?Confusedhh:

That was a unfair comment.:dontthink I said I meant no dissrespect and I don't care who won it. No way it compares to the sweet 16.:rockon: :Thumbs:
PC_You_Know Wrote:I don't care if Valley fits the criteria or not, they were included, they won the whole thing. All that matters is that the committee who selects teams for the tournament included Shelby Valley.
Yes they did. While there Valley played their ONLY IN STATE RANKED TEAM!!!!! I hope you and the rest of the Valley fans didn't pay for extended stays in any Lexington Hotels.........They will have to nearly triple the amount of RANKED TEAMS they have beaten in the last three years to play Sat. night!!!! Got ONE AND DONE????????????
letthebighogroot Wrote:Yes they did. While there Valley played their ONLY IN STATE RANKED TEAM!!!!! I hope you and the rest of the Valley fans didn't pay for extended stays in any Lexington Hotels.........They will have to nearly triple the amount of RANKED TEAMS they have beaten in the last three years to play Sat. night!!!! Got ONE AND DONE????????????

How many did Elliott play? 4? That is a huge number.

Also, wasn't Henry Clay ranked at the time Valley blew them away? Paul Dunbar wouldn't make up the game that they missed with Valley. Weren't they ranked as well?
As of today, 3-16-2009, Shelby Valley's enrollment is exactly 590 students.
trufan Wrote:As of today, 3-16-2009, Shelby Valley's enrollment is exactly 590 students.

I didn't think it was anywhere near 700. 590 isn't a small school, but it is nowhere near a large school.
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:I didn't think it was anywhere near 700. 590 isn't a small school, but it is nowhere near a large school.

You are exactly right, 590 students still makes us the 3rd smallest populated school in the state tournament.
kybaseball Wrote:I mean no disrespect but the All A does not even come close compairing to the Sweet 16 championship.

I agree completely, but it is definitely something to be proud of. It has really brought the community together.

If I am not mistaken when Paintsville won the state championship, they didn't win the All "A". Even though it is nowhere near as big an accomplishment, it is still very hard to do.
My graduating class (400+) was bigger than both Hazard and Elliott Co.'s entire enrollment. That alone speaks worlds for what they're athletic teams have been able to do and what they are expected to do this week in Lexington.
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:I didn't think it was anywhere near 700. 590 isn't a small school, but it is nowhere near a large school.

Then you need to take that number up with the SV administration. And yeah, that is a big school when it pertains to All "A" schools in Eastern KY. This number comes from what was released to the KHSAA for the Sweet Sixteen program...............Perhaps Valley just wanted to come across as being a "big" school?????????? Or maybe you need to learn facts before you jump on the "bandwagon"!!!!!!!!!! Either way, I think it's precious!!!!!!!!!!!! Big enough to bully the small schools, but not good enough to beat the big schools!
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:How many did Elliott play? 4? That is a huge number.

Also, wasn't Henry Clay ranked at the time Valley blew them away? Paul Dunbar wouldn't make up the game that they missed with Valley. Weren't they ranked as well?

No, neither team was ever ranked outside of the BGR rankings...........But, nice try. As for EC's number, that's 3 more than your team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
letthebighogroot Wrote:Yes they did. While there Valley played their ONLY IN STATE RANKED TEAM!!!!! I hope you and the rest of the Valley fans didn't pay for extended stays in any Lexington Hotels.........They will have to nearly triple the amount of RANKED TEAMS they have beaten in the last three years to play Sat. night!!!! Got ONE AND DONE????????????
You keep bring up the point that Valley only played 1 ranked team. Out of the 4 ranked teams your team played, how many of them was ranked higher than you? Valley played the number 1 ranked team in the state at the time and knocked them out of the number 1 spot. I still feel like it means more to be ranked 5-7 and beating the number 1 team than being the number 2 or 3 team beating teams ranked 7-10. Rankings dont mean squat. How many of the teams ranked in the top 16 in the state is still playing?
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:I agree completely, but it is definitely something to be proud of. It has really brought the community together.

If I am not mistaken when Paintsville won the state championship, they didn't win the All "A". Even though it is nowhere near as big an accomplishment, it is still very hard to do.

Yes it is something to be proud of and it is hard to do. The point I was making was not meant to indicate that it wasn't.
kybaseball Wrote:Yes it is something to be proud of and it is hard to do. The point I was making was not meant to indicate that it wasn't.

Yeah, I understood that. I I know you weren't dismissing it as nothing important.

Unlike the Big Hog, I support the other team and don't try to diminish their accomplishments.
letthebighogroot Wrote:No, neither team was ever ranked outside of the BGR rankings...........But, nice try. As for EC's number, that's 3 more than your team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for giving your approval. I can feel better about myself now.
letthebighogroot Wrote:Then you need to take that number up with the SV administration. And yeah, that is a big school when it pertains to All "A" schools in Eastern KY. This number comes from what was released to the KHSAA for the Sweet Sixteen program...............Perhaps Valley just wanted to come across as being a "big" school?????????? Or maybe you need to learn facts before you jump on the "bandwagon"!!!!!!!!!! Either way, I think it's precious!!!!!!!!!!!! Big enough to bully the small schools, but not good enough to beat the big schools!

Obviously you couldn't understand my post. Another poster said SV had 700 kids. The number given for the state tournament was 596 which I knew was around the correct number.

I already know the facts and they are pretty precious to me.

I bet Henry Clay isn't a big school, nor are a few of the other teams they played. In this case, size doesn't always matter. If Elliott doesn't win it all, maybe you can jump on someone else's bandwagon.

The difference between you and me is that if SV doesn't win, I hope Elliott does. I am not jealous of them. I am proud of their accomplishments as well, and they deserve all the credit they are getting as does SV. Honestly I wish both teams could win a state championship this year.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:You keep bring up the point that Valley only played 1 ranked team. Out of the 4 ranked teams your team played, how many of them was ranked higher than you? Valley played the number 1 ranked team in the state at the time and knocked them out of the number 1 spot. I still feel like it means more to be ranked 5-7 and beating the number 1 team than being the number 2 or 3 team beating teams ranked 7-10. Rankings dont mean squat. How many of the teams ranked in the top 16 in the state is still playing?
From the top of my head. and without looking at the bracket..........Holmes, Eastern, EC, Mason, Anderson, Corbin.... All played tougher schedules, and more ranked teams. As for your question......It is hard to play higher ranked teams when your in the top 3 all year. But, for the record, Ballard was ranked higher when we beat them. And at the time, EC and Mason were ranked pretty much even..
letthebighogroot Wrote:From the top of my head. and without looking at the bracket..........Holmes, Eastern, EC, Mason, Anderson, Corbin.... All played tougher schedules, and more ranked teams. As for your question......It is hard to play higher ranked teams when your in the top 3 all year. But, for the record, Ballard was ranked higher when we beat them. And at the time, EC and Mason were ranked pretty much even..

yada......yada.....yada......What you said dont mean:flush:
EOE Wrote:yada......yada.....yada......What you said dont mean:flush:

What makes your opinion any more valid than his?

What he said makes sense to me.
EasternAlum Wrote:What makes your opinion any more valid than his?

What he said makes sense to me.

Made sense to me also.
I will be pulling for all the teams from the mountain area!! Good luck to you all!! Go Dawgs!! Go Redhounds, Go Wildcats, and Go Lions!!
Memorial Gym #5 Wrote:I will be pulling for all the teams from the mountain area!! Good luck to you all!! Go Dawgs!! Go Redhounds, Go Wildcats, and Go Lions!!

:thumpsup:
EasternAlum Wrote:1. Eastern - 1936
2. Graves County - 1384
3. Christian County - 1332
4. Grayson County - 1251
5. Anderson County - 1162
6. Bowling Green - 1084
7. West Jessamine - 1010
8. Holmes - 968
9. Central - 967
10. Lexington Catholic - 868
11. Mason County - 816
12. Adair County - 794
13. Corbin - 684
14. Shelby Valley - 596
15. Elliott County - 332
16. Hazard - 312

Just pretty interesting to look at...I am surprised Eastern has the most students in comparison to some of the county schools.
Does anybody know who is the smallest school to ever win the sweet 16?
sstack Wrote:Does anybody know who is the smallest school to ever win the sweet 16?

Maybe Carr Creek in 1956?? Not sure, but I think it will be a team from the 40's or 50's. I would like to know the answer myself! :Thumbs:
All that letthepigletroot talks about is rankings, who was ranked where and when. Who cares? Rankings dont mean squat. Elliots #1 ranking was short lived, THANKS TO SV, and Elliot is in the big dance. Scott County being #1 about all year really got them somewhere didnt it. NOT........ oh, just my opinion of course
letthebighogroot Wrote:Can't believe one of SV biggest braggers don't know enough to defend his team!!!!!!!!! The cut off this year was the 125 smallest enrollments in the state to my understanding. Still nothing for Valley to throw their chests out about.... An enrollment of 700, long way from being a "small school" ecspecially in Eastern KY.

Sorry to bust your bubble, but Shelby Valley doesn't need me to defend them. They played by the rules, participated in a tournament they had as much right to be in as anybody else in it, then went out and won the thing. And that's all that matters...

Well, all except for that delicious little victory in the semifinal round that obviously still eats at you to this very day! :biggrin:
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
letthebighogroot Wrote:No, neither team was ever ranked outside of the BGR rankings...........But, nice try. As for EC's number, that's 3 more than your team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah yes, the famous "ranked wins" that Elliott has to brag about this year. Bet they look real nice in the trophy case...

Tell you what, you can keep those "ranked wins", and Valley can just keep that big, shiny trophy they got for winning that All-A Classic thingy. What's more, I hear they had to beat some other really good team in the semi's on their way to winning the title!
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Ah yes, the famous "ranked wins" that Elliott has to brag about this year. Bet they look real nice in the trophy case...

Tell you what, you can keep those "ranked wins", and Valley can just keep that big, shiny trophy they got for winning that All-A Classic thingy. What's more, I hear they had to beat some other really good team in the semi's on their way to winning the title!
The trophy is only shiny on the top and the plaque. The rest of it is wood. But it is a very nice trophy.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
PC_You_Know Wrote:I like what you did here, but you found some old numbers, Valley has close to 700 kids now.

How on earth can valley have 700 kids and still be eligible for all A. You must have some incorrect figures. KCC has around 730 and they are a two or three A at the moment.
PC_You_Know Wrote:I like what you did here, but you found some old numbers, Valley has close to 700 kids now.

The 596 is probably for All A ranking purposes and 700 is the REAL number LOL