Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is the best high school player you ever watched?
jakethesnake Wrote:Randy Moss was talented as all get out!
Randy Moss - Dupont High...My wifes school (Man, WV) was playing them. They punted to him & he returned it for a 65 yd TD. There was a penalty & Man elected to punt to him again.....He returned that one 75 yds for a TD. He looked like a college player playing against pop warner kids. There were grown men walking up to this 17yr. old kid asking for his autograph. That part was insane. He was absolutly the best High schooler I ever saw play.
FBALL Wrote:Bobby Brice - Ironton
Willie Clay - Lindsly Academy
Carlos Snow - Cape
Michael Bush- Male
Jarred Lorenzen - Highlands

Wow, I forgot all about Carlos Snow and CAPE. CAPE was one of the first true sport school academy's.
blitz43 Wrote:When did you see Melvin play? I played against him for 3 yrs. I forgot about him. He was a player. I played at Gilbert. Us & Matewan are bitter rivals. I only lost to them 1 time in my 4 yrs. though. I think he played a little for the Miami Dolphins if I ain't mistaken.

I saw him play twice his Senior season.. he was a phenominal playmaker on both sides of the ball. I still remember their playoff game when he injured his ankle and couldn't hardly walk but stayed on the field to lead them down the field.

Melvin IMO was the best QB, RB, WR, Cb, and Safety in the state of WV that year. He literally could play any skill position you needed.
blitzingback Wrote:I forgot about Henson. I didn't hear much about him after he graduated. Did he end up playing somewhere? How'd he do if so?

i didn't hear anything after he gratuated
Norm Stewert Wrote:i agree all were great players but there is no way you could have played against braxton kelly and the johnson bros from harrodsburg ...there is to big of a time gap if you did that you would have played high school football for about 10 years and in kentucky you can only play 4

You're right about Braxton. I meant Braxton Anderson. He played within the same time frame. Braxton Kelly is from Georgia and the only time I've seen him play is for UK. My bad.
blitz43 Wrote:Randy Moss - Dupont High...My wifes school (Man, WV) was playing them. They punted to him & he returned it for a 65 yd TD. There was a penalty & Man elected to punt to him again.....He returned that one 75 yds for a TD. He looked like a college player playing against pop warner kids. There were grown men walking up to this 17yr. old kid asking for his autograph. That part was insane. He was absolutly the best High schooler I ever saw play.

Untill last year when you saw Channing Fugate.You forgot that part so I'm jogging your memory.LOL.
hazard reject Wrote:i didn't hear anything after he gratuated

He committed suicide.Very sad.
When I lived in TN I saw Reggie White play, never seen anything to top that! He physically could whip 11 men, no one could hanlde him.

The next would be Tim Couch, saw him play JC. He had an awful team around him and his was still awesome.
Breathitt Bobcat Wrote:Untill last year when you saw Channing Fugate.You forgot that part so I'm jogging your memory.LOL.
Channing is not the best I have seen. Moss was & is an incredible athlete. He was an all-state forward/basketball, an all-state centerfielder/baseball, all-state wr/football, all-state/track. He is not only the best football player I have ever seen play....He is the best athlete I have seen play. Fugate has a ways to go.
blitz43 Wrote:Randy Moss - Dupont High...My wifes school (Man, WV) was playing them. They punted to him & he returned it for a 65 yd TD. There was a penalty & Man elected to punt to him again.....He returned that one 75 yds for a TD. He looked like a college player playing against pop warner kids. There were grown men walking up to this 17yr. old kid asking for his autograph. That part was insane. He was absolutly the best High schooler I ever saw play.

Lou Holtz said he was the best high school football player he'd ever seen.

That's saying something.
Cris Carter from Middletown Ohio if buckeyes count
Channing Fugate.
Well i know this is going to rock a lot of peoples worlds but IMO,it was Mike Witaker of Leslie Co. Tim Couch Leslie Co., Mike Bush Male,Justin Haddix Breathitt Co.,Channing Fugate Breathitt Co.,Desahe Henson was there also too bad the beat him up so bad as a player(Played as and 8th grader and was Great runner,KHSAA has a rule named after him and it dis-allows any 8th graders competing at High School Football level) he could have been maybe the best from these mtns. tell you they are lots more great players i have watched play this Great Game..
Tim Couch-Leslie County
John Cole- Somerset
well this thread is best u ever seen and ill bet tht most people on here never seen randy moss play high school i mean he is like 36 years old so ya i have to say the big horse channing fugate
bobcatlunatik Wrote:well this thread is best u ever seen and ill bet tht most people on here never seen randy moss play high school i mean he is like 36 years old so ya i have to say the big horse channing fugate

There are plenty of us that are both old enough and/or lucky enough to see Moss among others play.
Yes plenty,and would have love too seen him play High School Football,nothing like it.
bobcatlunatik Wrote:well this thread is best u ever seen and ill bet tht most people on here never seen randy moss play high school i mean he is like 36 years old so ya i have to say the big horse channing fugate
He is 31. I have seen him play. He was the best high school player I have ever seen. BTW, about a month later, he & Jason Williams came back to town with the rest of their b-ball mates and I rekon they put on quite a show. I didn't get to go to it but they said he and j-will were ally-ooping all over the floor. Would have loved to seen that.
In the mountains I would have the say Floyd Brannam LB Middlesboro. He had the speed and size to play for any D-1 school.

Here is a little bit of Moss and Williams from a Nike commercial.
1.Doug Howard-Belfry
2.David Jones-Belfry
3.Paul Mcoy-Matewan WV
Leonidas Wrote:

Here is a little bit of Moss and Williams from a Nike commercial.
Don't forget The Godfather # 80 Cris Carter he taught Moss a lot. 11o1 catches,13899 rec.yards 130td's. He was a beast in high school also.
Footballhillbilly25 Wrote:1.Doug Howard-Belfry
2.David Jones-Belfry
3.Paul Mcoy-Matewan WV
Boy oh Boy. Paul McCoy brings back some memories. He is the kid that broke WV single game rushing record (something like 600 yds)(8 or 9 TDs). If memory serves me correct, and I know it does, It was a shame how he broke it(against poor ole Burch High). I also remember once they played a "good" team about 1 or 2 weeks later(Gilbert) he was held to like 50 yds. In other words, McCoy was not that great. I would put a host of Tigers ahead of him.
M. Cunningham
R. Joplin or any other Joplin that played there(there were many)
L.B. Blackburn
Paul Mcoy, where is he now?
Had several offers from some small schools but decided not to play. He is going to Big Sandy Tech School. Super nice and good kid.
David Jones- Belfry
Shawn Grimm- Johnson Central
Mike Caba- Magoffin Co.
Has a chance to see the state title game back in 02.

Mike Bush Vs. Brian Brohm.

Two of the best players ever in kentucky, wish Bush being pound for pound the best athlete i believe in kentucky history. Could have went to Louisville as a HB, QB or a SF in basketball.

Also Tim Couch was untouchable in the mountains. He will always be the Face of Mountain Football.

HM Mountain guys.
What Doug and David did for Belfry football was incrediable, all Belfry teams are good, but those two guys put a stamp of the Legacy of Coach Haywoods Career.
The Iceboxx Wrote:Has a chance to see the state title game back in 02.

Mike Bush Vs. Brian Brohm.

Two of the best players ever in kentucky, wish Bush being pound for pound the best athlete i believe in kentucky history. Could have went to Louisville as a HB, QB or a SF in basketball.

Also Tim Couch was untouchable in the mountains. He will always be the Face of Mountain Football.

HM Mountain guys.
What Doug and David did for Belfry football was incrediable, all Belfry teams are good, but those two guys put a stamp of the Legacy of Coach Haywoods Career.
I was there for that game and Bush was so good. So was double B.
tim couch