Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phelps 65 - Betsy Layne 64
It was a great game...keep your head up BL
BeaverCreek Connection Wrote:I was at the game. My opinion is that BL had them on the ropes and the coach made a major mistake trying to hold the ball. Yes, the refs were a little confused at times but BL should have won the game. I am not from either school, just giving my opinion. BL fought very hard to get the lead then..........well they changed thier intesity.

Actually BL was turning over their offense trying to find a good shot. not hold the ball
Not to mention that was Riley's 5th foul, so that fouled one of the starters out, she fouled out bleeding thats not something you encounter everyday :lmao: Before Whitt went down the second time, she had to come out because she got a busted lip from a obvious elbow thrown at her and she had to stop the bleeding. Then when she was pushed down to the floor anyone that seen her head hit like it did would've been scared to death, I was close to the floor on the BL side and it was a loud hard hit, I seriously thought the girl had broke her neck or back she hit so hard. I don't know how she sucked it up and came back in the game from the sounds of it. So trying to help us out? You arguement is dumb, take your loss and walk away, BL fought hard but Phelps wanted it more, it should've never came down to that anyway, remember Phelps was up 16 points at one time.:letsparty Good luck against Valley!
Congrats Phelps, nice win
yeah it was a crazy game, with some crazy fouls. i'm just hopeing it's a fair game tuesday night when phelps plays valley.
BB5 Wrote:Actually BL was turning over their offense trying to find a good shot. not hold the ball

:thatsfunn
That's funny. It never came and it was just bad coaching on the part of BL.

I've never watched a game where a team that was behind held the ball for 54 seconds, down by 1, never took a shot or challenged their opponent by trying to draw a foul because (get this) Phelps had 2 fouls to give! Phelps could play hard on defense and not worry about sending BL to the line and BL wasn't even trying to find a shot. I'm guessing here, but I believe BL was instructed to wind down the clock for the final shot. Problem was, they didn't give themselves enough time for an offense rebound and putback/draw a foul situation. Terrible gamble. The shot BL did get off wasn't from the right shooter and was a tough look at best.

If you have the ball, down by 1 with 54 seconds left and your opponent has fouls to give, then you challenge the defense and get them to foul you in the act of shooting and don't hold the ball. Your taking your chances holding the ball, thinking that the first shot you take is going to go in. You've got to give yourself time for an offensive rebound in case you miss.

I'd say JR didn't know what to think, especially after the Taylor Hott flung her elbow into a Phelps defender in those final seconds and Phelps was called for the foul. That was horrible.

BL gave this game away plain and simple.
HORNET POWER Wrote:They really helped Phelps alright........ 3 players on Whitt's back when she's going for a rebound and nothing called after they knocked her to the floor....... BL player pushing Riley off with forearm while dribbling and when Riley kept the pressure up the BL player throws an elbow to Riley's face and the foul was on Riley..... yeah they really helped us out alright :thatsfunn

well when the wrong person shoots a free throw 10 times. thats a big help. and when they call fouls with hardly any contact. when two players foul out and more in trouble on one team. and no one is in foul trouble on the other team. something has to be going on. and people fall and cry for 30 minutes and get back up and ready to play 2 minutes later, is a little crazy. wait until thursday when they play again. just wait, it will be a blow out. guarenteedWink
dowork101 Wrote:well when the wrong person shoots a free throw 10 times. thats a big help. and when they call fouls with hardly any contact. when two players foul out and more in trouble on one team. and no one is in foul trouble on the other team. something has to be going on. and people fall and cry for 30 minutes and get back up and ready to play 2 minutes later, is a little crazy. wait until thursday when they play again. just wait, it will be a blow out. guarenteedWink

No one in foul trouble? Riley fouled out after getting blasted in the face by a BL player.... The wrong person did not shoot free throws ten times.... Betsy Layne was lucky every player didn't foul out as rough as they played the first half with only 3 or 4 fouls called on them.... how was that possible when they were slapping and pressing? This game, bottom line, was poorly officiated on both sides. Secondly, there was, IMO, a rather large coaching error on the part of BL's coach in not attacking the basket with 54 seconds left and not putting the ball in the hands of the hot shooter!
dowork101 Wrote:well when the wrong person shoots a free throw 10 times. thats a big help. and when they call fouls with hardly any contact. when two players foul out and more in trouble on one team. and no one is in foul trouble on the other team. something has to be going on. and people fall and cry for 30 minutes and get back up and ready to play 2 minutes later, is a little crazy. wait until thursday when they play again. just wait, it will be a blow out. guarenteedWink
blowout?
did you forget that phelps has already beaten shelby valley once by 3?
i'd say that it will be a VERY close game, and if phelps plays smart && like a team, then they will come out on top. Wink
It was a good game to watch, but IMO if the refs would have called all the fouls they should have on betsy layne, then phelps would have beat them by alot more than 1. Especially since only 2 or 3 of the betsy layne girls actually scored.
Atleast Phelps girls know how to pass the ball, and yea i know that alot of people are going to want 2 argue with me over my post, but thats my opinion, so get over it. I know that Phelps didnt play very well last night, with all the TO's and stuff, but i think that if they play like they want 2 win next game, then i'm sure they will beat shelby valley in a close game :thumpsup:

The wrong person did not shoot free throws 10 times? We must've been at 2 different games. What are you complaining about you had 3 fouls in the first half, you PRESSED the whole game, elbows were thrown left and right, they weren't called? You had every advantage to win but BL could not pull through!! Not in foul trouble? Pruitt was in foul trouble Riley was in foul trouble and FOULED out while taking a elbow? What more could you want? If you would've seen the player hit the floor like I seen her hit the floor then you would've known she was hurt. Everyone knows Whitt is a tough player, I guess it's just called dedication and fighting through the pain because if she wouldn't have game back in got those lay-ups,made free throws, and had a big rebound who knows what would've happened? Not to mention the excellent defense at the end of the game on #4, she completely shut her down. It's obvious your jealous, and if it's a blow out then it should be Phelps, they had BL up by 16 at one point did you forget about that? Wink Take your loss and realize Phelps played smarter when it was on the line, enjoy sitting at home for a week!:lmao:
Great Job Lady Hornets!
Bring It On Tuesday!
BL played excellent defense and they have great shooters- especially Hamilton and Hott. Both teams played a really good game.
uksports99 Wrote:The wrong person did not shoot free throws 10 times? We must've been at 2 different games. What are you complaining about you had 3 fouls in the first half, you PRESSED the whole game, elbows were thrown left and right, they weren't called? You had every advantage to win but BL could not pull through!! Not in foul trouble? Pruitt was in foul trouble Riley was in foul trouble and FOULED out while taking a elbow? What more could you want? If you would've seen the player hit the floor like I seen her hit the floor then you would've known she was hurt. Everyone knows Whitt is a tough player, I guess it's just called dedication and fighting through the pain because if she wouldn't have game back in got those lay-ups,made free throws, and had a big rebound who knows what would've happened? Not to mention the excellent defense at the end of the game on #4, she completely shut her down. It's obvious your jealous, and if it's a blow out then it should be Phelps, they had BL up by 16 at one point did you forget about that? Wink Take your loss and realize Phelps played smarter when it was on the line, enjoy sitting at home for a week!:lmao:

Big Grin

ok i have a problem with what you just said. anytime that any player is hurt you or no one else should say anything about them crying. she was hurt i know first hand that whitt was hurt she does not cry unless she is! as far as i concerned you have no arguement and your bitter. and if you ever expect to blow a Phelps out find a new coach and more than 3 girls that can shoot. Wink
uksports99 Wrote:The wrong person did not shoot free throws 10 times? We must've been at 2 different games. What are you complaining about you had 3 fouls in the first half, you PRESSED the whole game, elbows were thrown left and right, they weren't called? You had every advantage to win but BL could not pull through!! Not in foul trouble? Pruitt was in foul trouble Riley was in foul trouble and FOULED out while taking a elbow? What more could you want? If you would've seen the player hit the floor like I seen her hit the floor then you would've known she was hurt. Everyone knows Whitt is a tough player, I guess it's just called dedication and fighting through the pain because if she wouldn't have game back in got those lay-ups,made free throws, and had a big rebound who knows what would've happened? Not to mention the excellent defense at the end of the game on #4, she completely shut her down. It's obvious your jealous, and if it's a blow out then it should be Phelps, they had BL up by 16 at one point did you forget about that? Wink Take your loss and realize Phelps played smarter when it was on the line, enjoy sitting at home for a week!:lmao:
nice, i agree 100% Big Grin
PHS#1 Wrote:ok i have a problem with what you just said. anytime that any player is hurt you or no one else should say anything about them crying. she was hurt i know first hand that whitt was hurt she does not cry unless she is! as far as i concerned you have no arguement and your bitter. and if you ever expect to blow a Phelps out find a new coach and more than 3 girls that can shoot. Wink

bitter? i have nothing to be bitter about. you just gotta give it time and wait. and who are you to talk about a coach? thats no ones business but the coach's. this is high school basketball people! chill out.
dowork101 Wrote:bitter? i have nothing to be bitter about. you just gotta give it time and wait. and who are you to talk about a coach? thats no ones business but the coach's. this is high school basketball people! chill out.

all i simply was trying to say was holding the ball at the end was a bad move by the coach and those moves do not win ball games. i wasnt trying to be harsh or rude. chill lady
Besty layne was not told to hold the ball...Phelps played good man defense and that is why BL kept turning the ball over..
Quote:No one in foul trouble? Riley fouled out after getting blasted in the face by a BL player.... The wrong person did not shoot free throws ten times.... Betsy Layne was lucky every player didn't foul out as rough as they played the first half with only 3 or 4 fouls called on them.... how was that possible when they were slapping and pressing? This game, bottom line, was poorly officiated on both sides. Secondly, there was, IMO, a rather large coaching error on the part of BL's coach in not attacking the basket with 54 seconds left and not putting the ball in the hands of the hot shooter!

Sounds like Phelps just needs to toughin up a little bit. Betsy Layne played excellent defense & knows exactly how to press, Phelps just wasn't ready for this game. They made a mistake by thinking they could "run the scoreboard up so fast that BL wouldnt know what was going on" And you obviously have no sense about the game of basketball. BL was simply holding the ball and waiting for an open shot. Unlike Phelps BL has a offense that they run, and thats exactly what they were doing. Refs were terrible and I'm sure BL can't wait to see them Tuesday night Smile
Powerade_Girl Wrote:Sounds like Phelps just needs to toughin up a little bit. Betsy Layne played excellent defense & knows exactly how to press, Phelps just wasn't ready for this game. They made a mistake by thinking they could "run the scoreboard up so fast that BL wouldnt know what was going on" And you obviously have no sense about the game of basketball. BL was simply holding the ball and waiting for an open shot. Unlike Phelps BL has a offense that they run, and thats exactly what they were doing. Refs were terrible and I'm sure BL can't wait to see them Tuesday night Smile

They were well on their way to running up the scoreboard when typical 15th region officials helped put BL back in the game.Obviously they had enough sense about the game to fight through the poor officiating and win the game.And I'd say they are looking forward to tuesday night since the game @ BL will probably be officiated as bad as when Phelps boys played there(fans calling for timeouts and BL getting it)