Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville 48 - Paintsville 33
I always get excited when I see "Classy" posting in a thread that "Kimball" has posted in also. :eek:
I was wondering the same thing about Josh Green as an earlier poster. He's not left the team or anything like that, has he?
Eagle_Fan442 Wrote:Did Josh Green play in this game?

Josh Green played almost the entire game.
Eagle_Fan442 Wrote:Did Josh Green play in this game?
Josh played but not nearly at full strength.I think he missed 2 days of school with stomach virus.
Magnum PI Wrote:Paintsville seems to have lost a few more players since last time I saw them.
Congrats Coach Williams.

I believe, I count 7 from the start of the season till now. Deaton,Penix,Conley,Renoylds,Brown,Whitten,and Vanhoose.
jammin' jamey Wrote:An ugly win for Pikeville. Tiller for Paintsville looks promising. 20 turnover unofficially for Paintsville in the game. The Tigers started to lose steam midway through the second period and as you can see from the line score above, Pikeville went on a 17-2 run to close it out.

Was it lose steam or did Coach Williams make an adjustment? In the 3rd for whatever reason the Tigers started playing slow down ball. :confused: Their half court set coundnt have a high success rate all season. This is where most of their TO's come from. IMO a fast hectic pace is the way the Tigers have always been effective over the years. 10 secs was a long time for them to take a shot.
my list may be a little different
Congrats Pikeville.
Good Luck With Shelby Valley!
transplanttiger Wrote:No arguing there EKY....I wasn't trying to imply other grades weren't talented...the "genetics" in a lot of those kids in grades 1-3 is reason for optimism... And they are huge! There is a group of about 6 2nd grade boys that look like they could be in 5th-6th grade. Kinner should take heart for the future of football as well.

Don't count the Tigers out for long. I hate to say but I could see this "dry spell" coming. We that wear the blue will be going back to Rupp multiple times in the next decade.

Sometimes genetics play a part, sometimes they dont. You had a guy graduate in '98 that was almost 7 foot tall. A few years later little brother comes along. Not hardly of that physical stature. Same mommy, same daddy. It just happens.
Ring'Em Up Wrote:I always get excited when I see "Classy" posting in a thread that "Kimball" has posted in also. :eek:
I was wondering the same thing about Josh Green as an earlier poster. He's not left the team or anything like that, has he?
How can you come back with a reply to such a well thought out and classy reply such as "ROLF". Is that the sound that a dog makes or something? Anyways ,I'm speechless as to what to come back with. You've got to admit she really got me with that classic........Big Grin I guess I could "one up her" and come back with "ROLF" "ROLF". What do you think? Boy that would really get her back, wouldn't it?Smile

In all seriousness I wasn't trying to be smart or anything of the such. Tigers may be "bomb" for the next 50 years. Heck I dont know. But what I do know is that is impossible to project 6 and 7 year old kids.
Paintsville will be ok in time. The players this year just dont have a lot of experience on the court. That is one draw back I have with BMR for the last two years. He played 6 players, not worring about the future of PHS. I dont know if he had that planned based on his retirement.
Pburg74 Wrote:my list may be a little different

Only time will tell and there are many things that can happen along the way. But as of right now, I'd put my money on the 15+ really good kids that the Tigers have in grades 1-5 over any other team in the Region. And I will state 3 things about this group of kids that you can bank on: (1) none will transfer or move away; (2) they are all Paintsville kids (no transfers); and (3) if they all keep playing, they shouldn't need anyone to transfer in! IF they all stay with it and IF they all continue to develop accordingly, then if the talent isn't enough the depth will be!

But we're obviously sitting here discussing a group of kids that won't step on the high school court as a group (meaning all of them) for at least 7 years from now, although they will start trickling in in about 4 years. So lets not worry about it right now.

Back on point, this years Tiger team is not the most talented, but they work hard. They just simply have no experience and they have had a lot of chemistry issues with 7 or 8 guys quitting or choosing not to play. Apparently the seniors would have been used, but Coach Ratliff has cast his mostly younger guys as the starters. So most of the upperclassmen have quit or chosen not to play. So Coach Ratliff will have to build on these 8th grade through sophomore guys he is using. Won't be an easy first few years for him, but the Tigers should improve over the next few years and only get better after that.
EKY Sportster Wrote:Only time will tell and there are many things that can happen along the way. But as of right now, I'd put my money on the 15+ really good kids that the Tigers have in grades 1-5 over any other team in the Region. And I will state 3 things about this group of kids that you can bank on: (1) none will transfer or move away; (2) they are all Paintsville kids (no transfers); and (3) if they all keep playing, they shouldn't need anyone to transfer in! IF they all stay with it and IF they all continue to develop accordingly, then if the talent isn't enough the depth will be!

But we're obviously sitting here discussing a group of kids that won't step on the high school court as a group (meaning all of them) for at least 7 years from now, although they will start trickling in in about 4 years. So lets not worry about it right now.

Back on point, this years Tiger team is not the most talented, but they work hard. They just simply have no experience and they have had a lot of chemistry issues with 7 or 8 guys quitting or choosing not to play. Apparently the seniors would have been used, but Coach Ratliff has cast his mostly younger guys as the starters. So most of the upperclassmen have quit or chosen not to play. So Coach Ratliff will have to build on these 8th grade through sophomore guys he is using. Won't be an easy first few years for him, but the Tigers should improve over the next few years and only get better after that.
Good thinking process. While it may be unpopular with some to go with younger players over upperclassmen, sometimes for the future of your program you have to make those decisions. Most of the players that you indicated did not play in prior years to begin with, so evidently they were only out to play because they thought that since they were seniors they should get the court time. I really dont think that those particular players would have made Paintsville a regional contender even if they did play, so I think you just about have to go with the theory of that if you are going to ultimately lose; lose with freshmen rather than seniors.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Good thinking process. While it may be unpopular with some to go with younger players over upperclassmen, sometimes for the future of your program you have to make those decisions. Most of the players that you indicated did not play in prior years to begin with, so evidently they were only out to play because they thought that since they were seniors they should get the court time. I really dont think that those particular players would have made Paintsville a regional contender even if they did play, so I think you just about have to go with the theory of that if you are going to ultimately lose; lose with freshmen rather than seniors.

AGREED! That way when you lose with the freshman they are at least getting the experience of varsity time together and building for the future....I don't blame Coach Ratliff one bit----he's playing the hand he was dealt!