Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harlan County 2009
I think the Black Bears will be fine in 5A. They already proved that they can play with LCC having nearly beat them this past season in their first season. I expect them to stand tall in with the 5A teams, holding their own. The key will be how devouted they become in the off season. I expect next year to be the beginning of something special and much joy to follow. GO BLACK BEARS!!!!!
CATS#2 Wrote:they have added the 4A STATE CHAMPS as well

If my memory serves me right non district oppenents are Bell, Leslie County, Powell Valley TN, Lee County VA, and Southwestern.
I don't think Harlan will have any trouble going to a 5A schedule. Before the consolidation you had good athletes at Cumberland and big tough hardnosed kids at Evarts and Cawood. Mix that in with Larkey coaching, that's a pretty good program. I said two years ago, before Larkey took the job, Harlan would be one of the strongest programs in the mountains before it's over and they're well on their way to that after a couple more years.
Patriot, I believe that is Powell Valley, Virginia. In regard to an earlier post, I also don't think going to 5A is a downgrade and frankly I enjoyed the Breathitt game. I think the Bears had them for three Qtr's and I will guarantee that Breathitt County during their halftime activities new it and their coaches were preaching it. Channing Fugate is a beast and he took advantage of the opportunities late(Bears fumble on the one and then intercepted both in the redzone) and he then exploded the Bears chances. The Black Bears moved the ball very well against them, probably better than anyone. The Breathitt game was exciting and I think the Bears will be just fine. Again, the offseason commitment will be the key to how well they will fair next season in 5A football. GO BLACK BEARS!!!!!!
BB CLAW Wrote:Patriot, I believe that is Powell Valley, Virginia. In regard to an earlier post, I also don't think going to 5A is a downgrade and frankly I enjoyed the Breathitt game. I think the Bears had them for three Qtr's and I will guarantee that Breathitt County during their halftime activities new it and their coaches were preaching it. Channing Fugate is a beast and he took advantage of the opportunities late(Bears fumble on the one and then intercepted both in the redzone) and he then exploded the Bears chances. The Black Bears moved the ball very well against them, probably better than anyone. The Breathitt game was exciting and I think the Bears will be just fine. Again, the offseason commitment will be the key to how well they will fair next season in 5A football. GO BLACK BEARS!!!!!!

I think about that Breathitt game at least once every two days or so. I've got some game tapes and watch them when I really need a fix. I thought for sure it was a team out of TN, but I'm not for sure. If our boys hit the weight room and devote themselves to something this team will be just as exciting as this first year was. Of our two QB prospects the Williamson kid will spend his time working out and the Brewer kid is playing basketball. I don't know a lot about either of them. Brewer kid was pretty good in middle school. And I have heard mention about a Howard kid that was a back up at Evarts their last year. To me QB is our biggest question mark right now.
It's definitely Powell Valley, Va. (Big Stone Gap). There is no Powell, Valley, Tenn., anymore. Those schools are now Claiborne and Cumberland Gap instead of Claiborne County and Powell Valley.

Brewer is getting a great workout every day with the basketball team. I'll be surprised if he doesn't start at quarterback. Austin Maggard was very impressive with the eighth-grade team and could move up quickly.
Lots of talent at this school.
Harlan Co. is a football team that under achieved this past season. They had the most talent in there region and should have been playing in the state championship game. They would not have won the state but they should have been in Louisville. Good first season but Harlan blew there best shot at playing in a state championship game. Class 5a will not be so easy to get a shot.
Underachieved? What did all that talent accomplish the year before?

It was a good first year for Harlan County.
Harlan County High School in its first year finished the year 8-4 with loses to Letcher County Central(5A) in a barnburner to begin the season, Breathitt County twice, and Estill County in a barnburner. These three teams could've beaten lots of 5A teams. The Black Bears could've easily came out with a win in three of these loses....but didn't, they were 8-4. The Black Bears were in there first year together with a new coach, new offense, new defense, new discipline, and new teammates. They began all of this during the summer and progressed during the season with basically on the job training finishing with a tough fought lose to Breathitt. The Harlan County Black Bears are heading in the right direction and will be successful. We have a dandy coach and a good talent pool. The Bears by no means underachieved. GO BLACK BEARS!!!!!
BB CLAW Wrote:Harlan County High School in its first year finished the year 8-4 with loses to Letcher County Central(5A) in a barnburner to begin the season, Breathitt County twice, and Estill County in a barnburner. These three teams could've beaten lots of 5A teams. The Black Bears could've easily came out with a win in three of these loses....but didn't, they were 8-4. The Black Bears were in there first year together with a new coach, new offense, new defense, new discipline, and new teammates. They began all of this during the summer and progressed during the season with basically on the job training finishing with a tough fought lose to Breathitt. The Harlan County Black Bears are heading in the right direction and will be successful. We have a dandy coach and a good talent pool. The Bears by no means underachieved. GO BLACK BEARS!!!!!

These are all good point to sell your program on but you had the best talent level of everybody in your region including Breathitt, Belfry, Estill and also Letcher Co. You will not even be close to having the best talent with the people that you will be playing against when you leave your district in 5a football.
South Laurel, Southwestern, Pulask, Mercer and Lincoln are in District 7, so Harlan County can compete with anyone in the region as far as talent is concerned.

I'm sure coach Larkey and the Bears will worry about the state semifinals when they get there.
Patriot Wrote:If my memory serves me right non district oppenents are Bell, Leslie County, Powell Valley TN, Lee County VA, and Southwestern.

Just an FYI, Lee High doesn't have a "county" in its name.
palmer Wrote:It's definitely Powell Valley, Va. (Big Stone Gap). There is no Powell, Valley, Tenn., anymore. Those schools are now Claiborne and Cumberland Gap instead of Claiborne County and Powell Valley.

Brewer is getting a great workout every day with the basketball team. I'll be surprised if he doesn't start at quarterback. Austin Maggard was very impressive with the eighth-grade team and could move up quickly.

I thought about the Maggard Kid. He seemed poised as an 8th Grader, but Right now I kind of see him and Brewer pretty close giving Jordy the edge because he has one experience in the program. I only say Williamson play QB one time in the JV game against Bell in which the whole team looked awful so I don't really know his potential. The JV game was one of the first and had a lot of sophomores playing maybe if he is surrounded by some experienced talent he is better. One kid doesn't play the game a team takes the field so that could make a difference. I'm sure Coach Larkey is thinking about next season every day.
ZoneRead Wrote:These are all good point to sell your program on but you had the best talent level of everybody in your region including Breathitt, Belfry, Estill and also Letcher Co. You will not even be close to having the best talent with the people that you will be playing against when you leave your district in 5a football.

Reckon we should even bother with dressing a team out next year ZoneRead? :p

I agree with the bolded part of what you said. I promise that I won't use this excuse for the next five years, but this was our FIRST year. I'm absolutley not trying to sell our program. Frankly, I hope that all our opponents next year feel just like you. I think that the Bears should have been playing in Louisville this year as well, but should of, could of, would of.......we didn't make it. I wonder why you would think that all the talent is gone after this year and that we have no chance of competing in 5A? You are in for a surprise if you are under that impression.

I'd say that the QB position is up for grabs. I've got a lot of confidence in Maggard, but I do realize that high school is way different than middle school. He's very athletic and coachable. He made a lot of good throws this year and can run if he has to. He's a tough kid. Jordy got alot of good experience this year with the Freshmen team and I think he went to a camp or two last summer. He seems to really want to better himself and work hard. Larry Williamson's biggest asset is that he is very very intelligent. Larry's an athletic kid too. I think that Cumberland's QB was a 7th grader and I am just not familiar with Evart's QB. I'll just be glad to see TJ back where he belongs, running the ball. I appreciate him stepping up and helping his team when they needed him last year to fill the QB spot. I look for him to have an outstanding year.
Mama Bear Wrote:Reckon we should even bother with dressing a team out next year ZoneRead? :p

I agree with the bolded part of what you said. I promise that I won't use this excuse for the next five years, but this was our FIRST year. I'm absolutley not trying to sell our program. Frankly, I hope that all our opponents next year feel just like you. I think that the Bears should have been playing in Louisville this year as well, but should of, could of, would of.......we didn't make it. I wonder why you would think that all the talent is gone after this year and that we have no chance of competing in 5A? You are in for a surprise if you are under that impression.

I'd say that the QB position is up for grabs. I've got a lot of confidence in Maggard, but I do realize that high school is way different than middle school. He's very athletic and coachable. He made a lot of good throws this year and can run if he has to. He's a tough kid. Jordy got alot of good experience this year with the Freshmen team and I think he went to a camp or two last summer. He seems to really want to better himself and work hard. Larry Williamson's biggest asset is that he is very very intelligent. Larry's an athletic kid too. I think that Cumberland's QB was a 7th grader and I am just not familiar with Evart's QB. I'll just be glad to see TJ back where he belongs, running the ball. I appreciate him stepping up and helping his team when they needed him last year to fill the QB spot. I look for him to have an outstanding year.

If you make it to the Highlands game you will be wishing you were playing Breathitt again.
ZoneRead Wrote:If you make it to the Highlands game you will be wishing you were playing Breathitt again.

Maybe Highlands will be wishing they were playing Whitley County again!
Patriot Wrote:Maybe Highlands will be wishing they were playing Whitley County again!

I don't think Highlands cares who they will be playing that comes out of the mountains.
ZoneRead Wrote:I don't think Highlands cares who they will be playing that comes out of the mountains.

Maybe this new Harlan County football program will change that. Maybe not next year but soon.
ZoneRead Wrote:I don't think Highlands cares who they will be playing that comes out of the mountains.

Here's a suggestion, why don't you start a thread about Highlands football and go talk about how utterly wonderful they are and allow us to talk about the Black Bears in this one. Kthanxbye.
Patriot Wrote:Maybe this new Harlan County football program will change that. Maybe not next year but soon.

I would like to see someone from the mountains step up to the plate and take it on. It can be done. I just don't see the power running game that your coach likes to run, going up against the talent that a Highlands team puts on the field year in and year out and winning. Maybe if your defense and kicking game is outstanding. Need to look at an offensive system that will allow your team a chance to compete and beat a team like Highlands. Maybe if you have the best team that you will every will have and Highlands has a down year. Then you maybe you get it done.

Good luck and hope that one of the other Northern Ky. teams are also having a down year.
Mama Bear Wrote:Here's a suggestion, why don't you start a thread about Highlands football and go talk about how utterly wonderful they are and allow us to talk about the Black Bears in this one. Kthanxbye.

Tell em' MAMA.You all gave us one heck of a game.Good Luck next year.
ZoneRead Wrote:If you make it to the Highlands game you will be wishing you were playing Breathitt again.

If Harlan County is playing Highlands, that means the Bears are regional champs. They'll take the problem every year.

Cawood lost to Highlands when the Trojans won their first, and only, regional in 1975.

Cumberland beat Beechwood three times in the state semifinals in the 1980s, so we have beaten northern Kentucky teams before.

If Harlan County is playing Highlands, that means the Bears are regional champs. They'll take that problem every year.

Cawood lost to Highlands when the Trojans won their first, and only, regional in 1975.

Cumberland beat Beechwood three times in the state semifinals in the 1980s, so we have beaten northern Kentucky teams before.
palmer Wrote:If Harlan County is playing Highlands, that means the Bears are regional champs. They'll take that problem every year.

And we will again!
Mama Bear Wrote:Here's a suggestion, why don't you start a thread about Highlands football and go talk about how utterly wonderful they are and allow us to talk about the Black Bears in this one. Kthanxbye.

I just love you Mama Bear, tee, hee, hee....you totally crack me up!!!

GO BLACK BEARS!!!
Hey Zone Read, how well did Covington Catholic and Highlands do playing little old mountain teams like Rockcastle County and Johnson Central. Rock beat them both and put a running clock on them and beat CCHS also. Then JC beat CCHS to death this year.
What player will surprise this Harlan County this year?

Who may play that wasn't on the team last year?
I'd take the roster of kids that finished from last year and that is who I'd count on 100 percent. Everyone else, I'd wait until around the third week of August to consider.

Line surprises- Josh Howard 10th, Larry Absher 10th, Jesse Hensley 11th, Chase Calton 10th, Brian Owens 11th

Skill- Josh Jenkins 10th, Cody Taylor 10th, Marcus McMillian 10th, Jordy Brewer 10th

Defense- Tucker Lewis maybe as a fresh. Marcus and Cody Taylor, Brian Owens

This is provided if, and ONLY IF, these kids work out how coach Larkey wants them to.

I think we will be looking back at this in the summer talking about surprises that did not make it through the off season program and quit. Not to be negative, just stating my opinion.
Yogibear Wrote:I'd take the roster of kids that finished from last year and that is who I'd count on 100 percent. Everyone else, I'd wait until around the third week of August to consider.

Line surprises- Josh Howard 10th, Larry Absher 10th, Jesse Hensley 11th, Chase Calton 10th, Brian Owens 11th

Skill- Josh Jenkins 10th, Cody Taylor 10th, Marcus McMillian 10th, Jordy Brewer 10th

Defense- Tucker Lewis maybe as a fresh. Marcus and Cody Taylor, Brian Owens

This is provided if, and ONLY IF, these kids work out how coach Larkey wants them to.

I think we will be looking back at this in the summer talking about surprises that did not make it through the off season program and quit. Not to be negative, just stating my opinion.

How big are Howard and Absher? I don't remember much about the frosh linemen except for Smith and Calton. Parsons looks like a specimen who could really improve since he just started playing football.