Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No More Apple Bowl?
sstack Wrote:You are so right. JC is knocking on the door and it hurt them in the playoff game when they did not go up against better competition earlier in the year. JC looked rattled late in the 3rd period. It is time for them to start playing top teams in 4,5,and 6A. Tougher schedule and open up the offense with some passing game, and the sky is the limit.
One game out of 10 is not that big of a deal. Most teams include a breather in their schedules anyway. Not that PHS is a breather, but the score has been lopsided just the last few years. I know what you are saying but you have no clue as to what the JC/Paintsville rivalry is all about. I cant figure the thinking process behind anyone from PHS that made this decision. This game funds a major portion of their entire athletic budget which they already claim to be dire straits.
This yearbook stuff coupled with a few other things got the initial thread close! DO NOT turn this one into the same situtation. Keep it on topic (and a yearbook has nothing to do with a football game) or it will end up like the first one.... CLOSED!

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
EKY Sportster Wrote:Probably more to it than that, but if that is the case, then it is bittersweet for the Tigers because they will forever keep the Apple Barrel!!

Congrats JC, the Tigers have surrendered!!:igiveup:

Well Paintsville may hold more wins but I don't see JC letting them have the barrel seeing how JC won the last Apple Bowl and Paintsville has decided to quit playing it....Not that the barrel really matters anyway....Maybe Paintsvilles school system made more money making tiger ears for Apple Days.
I know the feeling when these rivalries end.
Hate to see the Apple Bowl go...was good for the community...

Apple Classic wasn't a possibility?????

I've been around both school systems the past few years...the rivalry was always there (but kinda in a fun, competitive way)....but the past 3-4 years have gotten out of hand (on both sides)

There are good people on both sides of the creek.....and stinky ones too. However I do think there is a concerted effort on the part of some in the county system to "put down" Paintsville at every opportunity----I was even told directly by both a county administrator and faculty memebers that they would not rest until Paintsville was closed. You can believe me or not-----but I know what I heard.....
transplanttiger Wrote:Hate to see the Apple Bowl go...was good for the community...

I've been around both school systems the past few years...the rivalry was always there (but kinda in a fun, competitive way)....but the past 3-4 years have gotten out of hand (on both sides)

There are good people on both sides of the creek.....and stinky ones too. However I do think there is a concerted effort on the part of some in the county system to "put down" Paintsville at every opportunity----I was even told directly by both a county administrator and faculty memebers that they would not rest until Paintsville was closed. You can believe me or not-----but I know what I heard.....

I don't disbelieve you, but I hope you know that not all of us feel that way. Despite probems that my family has experienced personally at the hands of some of the blue/white. And for those who did say that, shame on them; that's an embarrassment for the rest of us.

Good post; I'm glad that some people realize that it's not all one sided.
transplanttiger Wrote:Hate to see the Apple Bowl go...was good for the community...

It's ben no worse now than it ever has been. Kids have being kids for 30 years now. Dont you remember when Paintsville players set Coach Musick's car on fire a few years ago and then Paintsville's practice dummies got vandalized? Things have never gotten to that point during the Matney area except when a certain someone got drunk the Sunday before an Apple Bowl game and wanted to confront Matney and attempt to try to intimidate him.. (Major mistake, he found out that wouldn't work). Yeah, there's stinky ones everywhere...lol.

You guys can bring up 52 more silly excuses. The only difference now is that one side is getting their cans kicked, and that's it.

If the county wanted Paintsville closed all they have to do is drop the reciprocal agreement. It would be that easy if that's what they wanted to do. You should think about what you are saying for a moment, before you start repeating what you say you hear.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:...

If the county wanted Paintsville closed all they have to do is drop the reciprocal agreement. It would be that easy if that's what they wanted to do. You should think about what you are saying for a moment, before you start repeating what you say you hear.

No, Central does NOT have that kind of power. I'm disappointed to see someone like yourself writing crap like that - you should know better.
Well Tigerfan13, I'm sure the skit wasn't appreciated by the PHS parents or administrators and some students, BUT back in the day, the rivalry was worse than it ever is now. If JC has nothing better to do on school time but to have a skit to humorously put down PHS individuals, then let them have their skit. That is not a reason to end the Apple Bowl. The fact that JC has won several Apple Bowls in a row is not a reason to end the Apple Bowl. There was more to it than has been stated on here, but it is Paintsville's fault that it ended. And like I said before, this is a big step backward IMO for Paintsville football.

As for JC, I seriously think they will benefit by Paintsville refusing to play them. They will not miss the gate as badly as Paintsville, and they can bring in a more quality team to compete against IF they can find a team that will come in to play them. Anyway, it is Paintsville's loss!
oneijoe Wrote:No, Central does NOT have that kind of power. I'm disappointed to see someone like yourself writing crap like that - you should know better.

Whoa, here now. All they would have to do is not resign. It's stictly an optional thing on either side's part. Correct?

Do you think Paintsville could survive without it?
I have no idea why Paintsville backed out, other than what the Herald said. I hope it's not for some petty reason. I hate to see it go, whether Paintsville ever won another one or not. It's something I looked forward to going to, and I'm not much of a football fan.
EKY Sportster Wrote:Well Tigerfan13, I'm sure the skit wasn't appreciated by the PHS parents or administrators and some students, BUT back in the day, the rivalry was worse than it ever is now. If JC has nothing better to do on school time but to have a skit to humorously put down PHS individuals, then let them have their skit. That is not a reason to end the Apple Bowl. The fact that JC has won several Apple Bowls in a row is not a reason to end the Apple Bowl. There was more to it than has been stated on here, but it is Paintsville's fault that it ended. And like I said before, this is a big step backward IMO for Paintsville football.

As for JC, I seriously think they will benefit by Paintsville refusing to play them. They will not miss the gate as badly as Paintsville, and they can bring in a more quality team to compete against IF they can find a team that will come in to play them. Anyway, it is Paintsville's loss!

So I suppose setting your students up for humiliation from another school is okay to do just so you can play a football game? Come on people. What is in the best interest of the kids here. Even if it was worse back in the day..it's still not good now and everyone talking about cars being burned, vandalism, humiliation. Why in the world would you want that to continue? Just so one week out of the year you get to get on here and in the community and talk about which school is going to win and bash the two schools? The money excuse is a joke. A football game should never be about money and obviously PHS isn't too worried about the money or they wouldn't be ending the game. Sometimes you have to have an open-mind and not be so one sided when a decision like this is made. Maybe some are sad to see it go b/c they don't know what they are going to do on Thursday night of Apple Days anymore, but surely you can find something else to do in Paintsville.
For you to say that PHS Football took a step BACK in this decision is absolutely silly. How did they benefit from it last year? Explain how playing a 5A school that can compete with teams like Belfry and Highlands could possibly benefit a 1A school that has 105 boys in the entire 9-12 grades. If it were any other team they wouldn't benefit from it but I guess since it's JCHS, they should benefit. It's not all about the money here and for those who think it's going to sink PHS....that's another good one. I've never seen people so **** bent on wanting to see a school go down in my life. I'm done with this thread. Some people just can't see the light.
EKY Sportster Wrote:Well Tigerfan13, I'm sure the skit wasn't appreciated by the PHS parents or administrators and some students, BUT back in the day, the rivalry was worse than it ever is now. If JC has nothing better to do on school time but to have a skit to humorously put down PHS individuals, then let them have their skit. That is not a reason to end the Apple Bowl. The fact that JC has won several Apple Bowls in a row is not a reason to end the Apple Bowl. There was more to it than has been stated on here, but it is Paintsville's fault that it ended. And like I said before, this is a big step backward IMO for Paintsville football.

I for one don't mind that that the Appe Bowl has been canceled, I also think that JC will benefit by not playing this game, let's face if they win, everyone will say they were supposed to because their a bigger school. This will give JC the opportunity to bring in other teams, that help them better prepare for the their district and the playoffs, as far as the gate, JC has been filling their stadium for every home game and usually have a large crowd that travels to the away games. However I wonder what administration at Paintsville was thinking, let alone the money issues. What about the message they are sending to their athletes, are they saying don't worry if any school beats you 4 or 5 times in a row we will simply stop playing them? I always thought that by playing tougher competition in your non district would better prepare a team for the district and playoffs. I wish Paintsville the best of luck with their football program.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:It's ben no worse now than it ever has been. Kids have being kids for 30 years now. Dont you remember when Paintsville players set Coach Musick's car on fire a few years ago and then Paintsville's practice dummies got vandalized? Things have never gotten to that point during the Matney area except when a certain someone got drunk the Sunday before an Apple Bowl game and wanted to confront Matney and attempt to try to intimidate him.. (Major mistake, he found out that wouldn't work). Yeah, there's stinky ones everywhere...lol.

You guys can bring up 52 more silly excuses. The only difference now is that one side is getting their cans kicked, and that's it.

That whole youtube video with the the JC kids and the JC coach---that reeked of class too.....get real!!!!!!!!!!!! Like I said earlier---there's enough trash to go around---on both sides!
Paintsville's administration doesn't care to do away with this because they aren't even from Paintsville. They don't know what Paintsville tradition is because they were never apart of it. Who is Paintsville going to pick-up in place of this game?
EastKyMiner Wrote:Paintsville's administration doesn't care to do away with this because they aren't even from Paintsville. They don't know what Paintsville tradition is because they were never apart of it. Who is Paintsville going to pick-up in place of this game?

Good point; I'm not sure how many people actually realize or have even thought about that.
EastKyMiner Wrote:Paintsville's administration doesn't care to do away with this because they aren't even from Paintsville. They don't know what Paintsville tradition is because they were never apart of it. Who is Paintsville going to pick-up in place of this game?

From what I've been told, the two people that get credit for pulling the trigger on this is the head coach and the principal. The coach is a Paintsville graduate who played in 4 of these contest's and should know first hand how important this game is to players and the community. The principal however is a graduate of JC and a former teacher in the county system until he took the job at PHS this year, he also should know the importance of this game. What it all comes down to is called; CHICKENS..ITIS. I didn't see JC throwing in the towell when they were losing 8 straight. JMO, you can take that and a $ and get a cup of coffee...
Old School Wrote:I for one don't mind that that the Appe Bowl has been canceled, I also think that JC will benefit by not playing this game, let's face if they win, everyone will say they were supposed to because their a bigger school. This will give JC the opportunity to bring in other teams, that help them better prepare for the their district and the playoffs, as far as the gate, JC has been filling their stadium for every home game and usually have a large crowd that travels to the away games. However I wonder what administration at Paintsville was thinking, let alone the money issues. What about the message they are sending to their athletes, are they saying don't worry if any school beats you 4 or 5 times in a row we will simply stop playing them? I always thought that by playing tougher competition in your non district would better prepare a team for the district and playoffs. I wish Paintsville the best of luck with their football program.

I would LOVE to see what type of gate the JC/Belfry game brought in... Even with the rain, I would bet that is the largest gate that JC has taken in all year!! There was NO seating room on Belfry's side.... JC did however have some empty seats....

A great tradtion! The only reason to contunue this game is for the gate to PHS. This will be a big financial blow to the PHS football program and will not effect JC in any way. The only record that matters in the series now is that PHS waved the white flag and said enough. It will not take the administrators from JC to close PHS, the financial decline in the area and loss of students will do that.

PHS
I know this upsets a lot of JC fans and it should but just sit back and let things unfold. JC will benefit from this move in the longs run. What Paintsville don't understand is that with this decsion, they have sent a message to their kids telling them that they are not good enough to compete with JC. The message to their kids will be heard loud and clear. We talking about kids who have fathers, cousins, and brothers who played in this game and won. Now, the message is your not good enough but they were.

If it was Ashland, Prestonsburg, Belfry etc. then it wouldn't be so bad. But this is your rival from across the creek and it's a rival unlike many in the state. Paintsville has cut their nose off despite their face by telling there kids that they are not good enough to play with BIG BROTHER!!! If the people from Johnson County will just sit back and chill out they will benefit from this move. This may be the last gasp of a loser who is fighting for their life with not a lot to look forward to.
phs1986 Wrote:I would LOVE to see what type of gate the JC/Belfry game brought in... Even with the rain, I would bet that is the largest gate that JC has taken in all year!! There was NO seating room on Belfry's side.... JC did however have some empty seats....

Perhaps since you were on the Belfry side it appered that there were no empty seats , but when you were looking across the field there were a bunch of them. Belfry no doubt has a good following, but I remember distinctly thinking that this is not the crowd that I thought they would bring. Trust me , your side was far from full.

BTW, JC's side seats 3,500 and Belfry's side only seats 1500.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Perhaps since you were on the Belfry side it appered that there were no empty seats , but when you were looking across the field there were a bunch of them. Belfry no doubt has a good following, but I remember distinctly thinking that this is not the crowd that I thought they would bring. Trust me , your side was far from full.

BTW, JC's side seats 3,500 and Belfry's side only seats 1500.

Maybe it could have been all the Belfry fans standing on the sides of the track area? I had to sit at the main bottom as there were no seats... Granted, some of the people left after the rain started coming down harder BUT Belfry's side WAS full...... Capacity for the visitor bleachers.....

kyrifle Wrote:From what I've been told, the two people that get credit for pulling the trigger on this is the head coach and the principal. The coach is a Paintsville graduate who played in 4 of these contest's and should know first hand how important this game is to players and the community. The principal however is a graduate of JC and a former teacher in the county system until he took the job at PHS this year, he also should know the importance of this game. What it all comes down to is called; CHICKENS..ITIS. I didn't see JC throwing in the towell when they were losing 8 straight. JMO, you can take that and a $ and get a cup of coffee...
To be real honest about it rifle, I seriously doubt that either party mentioned had the say so on any of this. You have a first year coach and a first year (non PHS) principal. I think you realize that the buck is not going to stop with either party.You know as well as anyone that certain people are only put in certain positions to carry out with what they are told to do and be set up as the scapegoats ..

There was once a time when Paintsville's domination in certain programs led to county kids parents wanting to have their kids participate in a superior program. That's kind of just human nature if you want your child to be noticed by someone at the next level. Perhaps the table has turned with this theory and you now find the opposite attraction. JC definately can offer another level of exposure now in football. Also, If you dont have to directly play em, it cant be said beyond a shadow of a doubt that we cant compete with em. I suspect that that is a lot of what the thinking is as well.
phs1986 Wrote:Maybe it could have been all the Belfry fans standing on the sides of the track area? I had to sit at the main bottom as there were no seats... Granted, some of the people left after the rain started coming down harder BUT Belfry's side WAS full...... Capacity for the visitor bleachers.....

You being a moderator and all I suspect I take may life in my own hands by disagreeing with you.Smile BUT, you are badly mistaken in this.

If you would have checked either the right or left sides of the visitor bleachers you would have found plenty of them. I distinctly remember wondering if the visitor side was ever going to fill up. It never did. Even way before the rain started. I even made mention of this to the people sitting around me, because I had heard of the legendary following. I was somewhat disapointed based on what I had always heard.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:You being a moderator and all I suspect I take may life in my own hands by disagreeing with you.Smile You are badly mistaken in this.

If you would have checked either the right or left sides of the visitor bleachers you would have found plenty of them. I distinctly remember wondering if the visitor side was ever going to fill up. It never did. Even way before the rain started. I even made mention of this to the people sitting around me, because I had heard of the legendary following. I was somewhat disapointed based on what I had always heard.

Na, your not going to get in trouble for disagreeing with me. We both have our opinions and on this one we will have to agree to disagree!!! LOL....:igiveup:

phs1986 Wrote:Na, your not going to get in trouble for disagreeing with me. We both have our opinions and on this one we will have to agree to disagree!!! LOL....:igiveup:

Gee, if I had known you were that easy, I would have never let you have you way so easy.Big Grin Smile
No Apple Bowl. A tradition for Johnson County is no more and it is truly a sad day, but it is not the end of the world. Finances aside, the Eagles can now schedule a competitive opponent, something the Tigers have not been for several years. The Tigers will also be able to schedule someone that they are more evenly matched against. I will sure miss the Apple Bowl as I am one of the old foggies on this site that is old enough to have attended the first one where Bryan Taylor kick the field goal late in the game for an Eagle victory. I was also around for the next EIGHT years where the Tigers won every year. Did I quit going? No, that is not what a true supporter of a program does. The remaining players and the kids coming up in each program will not get to play against each other in another Apple Bowl and that is sad because so many are friends from their days in elementary school together.

APPLE BOWL
1974-2008
R.I.P.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Gee, if I had known you were that easy, I would have never let you have you way so easy.Big Grin Smile

LOL.... I just don't believe in "punishing" someone just because you don't agree with me. I'm not really all that laid back either..... HAHA..... Thanks for agreeing to disagree!!! Big Grin

phs1986 Wrote:LOL.... I just don't believe in "punishing" someone just because you don't agree with me. I'm not really all that laid back either..... HAHA..... Thanks for agreeing to disagree!!! Big Grin
Good to see you have a fun side though.:thumpsup:
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Good to see you have a fun side though.:thumpsup:

That I do!! LOL.... I don't believe in being uptight and a butthole all the time!!! HAHA... Cool