Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville Football
SportsKing Wrote:So your saying that you feel like Pikeville should have beaten Hazard Friday night.

He is saying they never "over-achieved"..had they beat Hazard that would have definately quaified for over-achieving. As it stands now they only beat the teams they were expeced to.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:He is saying they never "over-achieved"..had they beat Hazard that would have definately quaified for over-achieving. As it stands now they only beat the teams they were expeced to.

I don't think too many people expected Pikeville to beat Paintsville this year.
SportsKing Wrote:I don't think too many people expected Pikeville to beat Paintsville this year.

Pikeville should be exected to beat Paintsville every year. With all due respect to the Tigers, they have been at best an average 1A team the past ten years.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Basically if the entire community wants someone to blame. We (myself included) need to look in the mirror to find the one at fault. Our community support SUCKS! and we all should be ashamed of ourselves. I dont care if you dont think the team is gonna win or if you dont like the coaching staff or whatever the reason is. There is absolutely no excuse for our fan turnout (or lack thereof) throughout this season. Its gotta be disheartening for these kids to run out on the field and 20 people be on the home side of the stands. That is a downright DISGRACE!!! And to all you snot nose crybaby parents who say that "football isnt fun anymore at Pikeville" or "My boy just feels like its too much of a job" or the ultimate gutless cop out "We dont like the Coach" I say this. Get your little spoiled rich boys out from in front of the xbox and get them on the field where they can at least learn a little about being a man because they sure arent learning it from you! For the first time in my life Im ashamed of the Pikeville community and it has nothing to do with what happened on the field last night. I hate to use this example but I remember watching Belfry play in the mid 90s while they were down and their stands were still packed every friday night no matter how poorly the team was playing. Did you ever stop and think that maybe our boys might just play a little harder if they knew their community gave a flying crap?

I Love Pikeville Fans.
SportsKing Wrote:I don't think too many people expected Pikeville to beat Paintsville this year.

Smile

Paintsville has 1 win over Pikeville in the last 24 years. Nothing but excuses from you, and no one is buying them.
SportsKing Wrote:-Pikeville has a very promising young group of kids on the High School team.
-They have started their Little League program in the right direction this year.
-They have alot of very good athletes in 3rd -6th grades coming through, especially football players.

It's the same thing every year after another disappointing season..."be patient."

i
SportsKing Wrote:So your saying that you feel like Pikeville should have beaten Hazard Friday night.

I'm saying they should be competitive. Pikeville got embarrassed by every decent team they faced. Betsy Layne played Hazard tougher than Pikeville. You can try to lower expectations all you want. It won't work. That's the last thing Pikeville wants or needs.
sportsman Wrote:it looks like every one is blaming someone. i havent seen anyone step up and take the blame. its always next year. next year has been going on for a few years. find a way to fix the problem and quit griping about it. the ones at the top need to step up and remedy this. they get paid, they better learn how to win. thats what people look at in the long run. theres a lot of good guys being fired for not doing this. next year pikeville will have about the same record or worse. they lose a lot.

Time for the coach to step up and take the blame...
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Ok so 50 people showing up to a home game isnt the communities fault? Ok then whose fault is it? I guess its a bunch of 15-18 year old kids faults that the ADULTS are acting like a bunch of babies and powting because the football team isnt undefeated? Dont get me wrong Im not leaving the kids completely blameless in this. They still made the commitment to play and do their job and I didnt see that out there friday night from most of them. But its all reciprocal if you think about it. If the majority of the community acts like they could care less then how do you expect the kids who look to us as a community for guidance to act? These arent 27 year old NFL players who are paid to do a job, children immulate what they see. Even the teenage ones.

Blaming the community...i totally disagree...start with the coaching staff...
SportsKing Wrote:-They have started their Little League program in the right direction this year.
Wasn't this supposed to have started a couple of years ago when Jackson came to PHS?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pikeville is like all small single A schools, no feeder schools. A school needs to have kids starting early and keeping it fun until middle school. In the past kids from the surronding schools and county wanted to play football for Pikeville. When Hillard was coach how many kids did he have transfer in from surrounding schools to play. He has always recruited for his school. If you were good, he made sure to let you know you would be an asset to his team. I have a son in middle school that plays football for a local team. We ran into him at a middle school ballgame and he was asking why we wasn't playing for a Letcher Co school. In a joking, serius manor. A very respectful and good personality for kids. I am just saying if he asks every kid he sees to play ball for him, he will get at least a few kids that can help and the numbers will be there.
SPORTS FAN 101 Wrote:Pikeville is like all small single A schools, no feeder schools. A school needs to have kids starting early and keeping it fun until middle school. In the past kids from the surronding schools and county wanted to play football for Pikeville. When Hillard was coach how many kids did he have transfer in from surrounding schools to play. He has always recruited for his school. If you were good, he made sure to let you know you would be an asset to his team. I have a son in middle school that plays football for a local team. We ran into him at a middle school ballgame and he was asking why we wasn't playing for a Letcher Co school. In a joking, serius manor. A very respectful and good personality for kids. I am just saying if he asks every kid he sees to play ball for him, he will get at least a few kids that can help and the numbers will be there.

Confusedhh:
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Pikeville should be exected to beat Paintsville every year. With all due respect to the Tigers, they have been at best an average 1A team the past ten years.

I definatley agree with you, Pikeville should be expected to beat Paintsville every year. But, this year Pikeville went into the game as the underdog! Nobody expected Pikeville to win this year.
jetpilot Wrote:Smile

Paintsville has 1 win over Pikeville in the last 24 years. Nothing but excuses from you, and no one is buying them.

Nobody making excuses here, just stating the fact that Pikeville went into that game as the underdog!
Beef Wrote:Wasn't this supposed to have started a couple of years ago when Jackson came to PHS?

It was supposed to, but believe me it didn't. It should've been done right for many years but it wasn't. That's been alot of the problem.
Chuck Taylor Wrote:Blaming the community...i totally disagree...start with the coaching staff...

What do you feel should've been done different with this team? I agree there were some games that they should've been more competitive, but what would you say they could've done to have been more competitive in those games?
jetpilot Wrote:It's the same thing every year after another disappointing season..."be patient."

I agree! Everyone needs to be patient and give the new coach time to get Pikeville's program done right, from the ground up. It will take some time but I believe eventually, after everyone buys into the system, Pikeville football will be very good. The offense he runs works, it just takes time(look at Belfry and Johnson Central). Defensively, experience and reps(which alot of underclassmen got this year) will have to play the most important role.
Chuck Taylor Wrote:Blaming the community...i totally disagree...start with the coaching staff...
So we as a community are completely blameless in your eyes?
SportsKing Wrote:I agree! Everyone needs to be patient and give the new coach time to get Pikeville's program done right, from the ground up. It will take some time but I believe eventually, after everyone buys into the system, Pikeville football will be very good. The offense he runs works, it just takes time(look at Belfry and Johnson Central). Defensively, experience and reps(which alot of underclassmen got this year) will have to play the most important role.

Defensively they need to throw in a little intensity as well. If every kid played on defense with the intensity that Randy Maynard and JR Robinson played with we would hardly ever get a yard gained on us. Those 2 are always ready to buckle up and hit somebody. Its no coincidence they were the top 2 tacklers on the team with JR having well over 100 on the year.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Pikeville should be exected to beat Paintsville every year. With all due respect to the Tigers, they have been at best an average 1A team the past ten years.

I agree except for 2001 and 2005. Paintsville was pretty good those two seasons.

:thumpsup:
oneijoe Wrote:I agree except for 2001 and 2005. Paintsville was pretty good those two seasons.

:thumpsup:

i agree but both still had great season
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:So we as a community are completely blameless in your eyes?

Let's try this...the last year Tubby was coach the attendance at the SEC tournament for UK fans was subpar to say the least...so would you say that the reason the team finished so bad that year was because of the UK COMMUNITY :confused:
Leave it to Chuck T to tie it to BASKETBALL! The problems with the football program did not just appear this year. You think that changing coaches would solve everything? The community is one of the reasons the program thrived in the good ol days and can be one of the reasons it is not where it should be now. Scheduling seems to be the quick fix.
SportsKing Wrote:I definatley agree with you, Pikeville should be expected to beat Paintsville every year. But, this year Pikeville went into the game as the underdog! Nobody expected Pikeville to win this year.

Underdog according to who??? Pikeville was ranked many spots ahead of Paintsville in the Cantrall and Litkenhous ratings. Maybe only the Pikeville coaches thought Pikeville was the underdog.:confused:
BOBCAT-BLACK & GOLD Wrote:i agree but both still had great season

Yes, of course... I'm definately NOT dissing Pikeville.

I was referring back to the guy that claimed Paintsville was "an average 1A team the past 10 years, then "Pikeville should expect to beat Paintsville every year".

Both statements are patently untrue. That's all I meant in trying to "keep it real".
jetpilot Wrote:Underdog according to who??? Pikeville was ranked many spots ahead of Paintsville in the Cantrall and Litkenhous ratings. Maybe only the Pikeville coaches thought Pikeville was the underdog.:confused:

I'm not getting in a pi**ing contest with you. I for one, thought Paintsville had a good team and many good skill kids, but I did pick the Panthers to win. I do know there were alot of people in the community and outside the community that thought Paintsville was the better team.
As for the coaches, I don't know. Most of the time coaches have a tendancy to be more confident in their teams ability. I don't think they would have considered themselves the underdogs after having their way with Paintsville last year.
Beef Wrote:Wasn't this supposed to have started a couple of years ago when Jackson came to PHS?

It did, Jackson also created a winning Varsity team and left for a bigger school expecting it to carry on at PHS. I'm already beginning to worry about the Panthers next year. No Honakers, No Harmon, so someone will have to step up. It would be Ross McCoy or Houston MacAnallen if he plays next year
EKUAlum05 Wrote:He is saying they never "over-achieved"..had they beat Hazard that would have definately quaified for over-achieving. As it stands now they only beat the teams they were expeced to.

It's funny that you say that, since you picked Paintsville to beat the Panthers "33-28." So according to that, Pikeville did actually beat a team you didn't think they would beat. :confused:
jetpilot Wrote:Underdog according to who??? Pikeville was ranked many spots ahead of Paintsville in the Cantrall and Litkenhous ratings. Maybe only the Pikeville coaches thought Pikeville was the underdog.:confused:

Also, according to our beloved Rivals, Paintsville won the POLL 46 votes to 21 votes.
SportsKing Wrote:Also, according to our beloved Rivals, Paintsville won the POLL 46 votes to 21 votes.

So that's what made Pikeville the underdogs.Smile