Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Russell
61.36%
Mason County
38.64%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mason County @ Russell - Oct 24
This should be a good game and the winner will win by 6
Greenup Home 7:30 p.m.
9/04/09 Ironton @ Ironton 7:30 p.m.
9/11/09 Ashland Home 7:30 p.m.
9/18/09 Boyd Co. @ Boyd Co. 7:30 p.m.
9/25/09 ** West Carter @ West Carter 7:30 p.m.
10/02/09 ** Fleming Co. Home 7:30 p.m.
10/09/09 ** Mason Co. @ Mason Co. 7:30 p.m.
10/16/09 ** Lewis Co. Home 7:30 p.m.
10/23/09 TBA TBA 7:30 p.m.
10/30/09 Raceland TBA 7:30 p.m.
11/06/09

Since scheduling has come up in this topic a few times this is just a thought.

Replace these games:
Greenup with West Portsmouth
Boyd with Wheelersburg
TBA with Portsmouth

These game are close and will give Russell the competition it needs to get ready for the playoffs.

Good luck Devils.
kybaseball Wrote:Greenup Home 7:30 p.m.
9/04/09 Ironton @ Ironton 7:30 p.m.
9/11/09 Ashland Home 7:30 p.m.
9/18/09 Boyd Co. @ Boyd Co. 7:30 p.m.
9/25/09 ** West Carter @ West Carter 7:30 p.m.
10/02/09 ** Fleming Co. Home 7:30 p.m.
10/09/09 ** Mason Co. @ Mason Co. 7:30 p.m.
10/16/09 ** Lewis Co. Home 7:30 p.m.
10/23/09 TBA TBA 7:30 p.m.
10/30/09 Raceland TBA 7:30 p.m.
11/06/09

Since scheduling has come up in this topic a few times this is just a thought.

Replace these games:
Greenup with West Portsmouth
Boyd with Wheelersburg
TBA with Portsmouth

These game are close and will give Russell the competition it needs to get ready for the playoffs.

Good luck Devils.
Greenup County and Boyd County will always be and should always be on the schedule along with Ashland. They are the three biggest rivals in the area. Sure Boyd and Greenup have been down but that is not always the case.

I would love to see one of those three teams in that open spot, then replace Raceland with another one.
FBALL Wrote:For Russell to have the kind of finish they want to the season, everyone on this team has to get on the same page. Play for each other and not for individual goals. Block every play, tackle every ball carrier, defend every pass as though it is the last chance you will ever get to do so. Because for some of you this year will be. Play for each other and the glory will be greater. Do your job on the field and do your best for the team and the reward will be greater than anything you can do on your own.

Very well said! That is the exact feeling I don't get when watching this year's team. It doesn't look like they are a group of guys who are all playing together and desperately trying to win. Some of them might individually feel that way, but I think it is pretty evident that all of them do not.

I think we might need Dick Vermeil to come deliver your words in tears to the team. :Sad04:

If that wouldn't motivate them to give it their all for the team, what would?
I get what you all are saying. I feel there are a few guys who want to lead and try to do so by example and words. However, if those on the field don't want to follow, what can ya do? Also, I still feel the coaching staff could be more motivating other than butt rippings when assignments are missed. Some motivational words of encouragement would be nice. Some kids can get up on their own, some people need to be pushed. I think if the staff may need to step up seeing that the players are not willing to play for eachother and are more worried about themselves. Also the sideline players are pretty bad. Half the time I don't think most of them even know the score.
Russell just needs to win this key game. Score doesn't matter to me
Beetle01 Wrote:I get what you all are saying. I feel there are a few guys who want to lead and try to do so by example and words. However, if those on the field don't want to follow, what can ya do? Also, I still feel the coaching staff could be more motivating other than butt rippings when assignments are missed. Some motivational words of encouragement would be nice. Some kids can get up on their own, some people need to be pushed. I think if the staff may need to step up seeing that the players are not willing to play for eachother and are more worried about themselves. Also the sideline players are pretty bad. Half the time I don't think most of them even know the score.

Yes...a respected leader is needed. I don't know about the coaches because I don't know what their methods of motivation are. As you said, though, I am sure it needs to be different for different personalities.

I have always found it strange how Russell fills out their roster each year. Do you have to try out for the football team? Are there cuts? They always have a large number of players on the sidelines, but only 20 or so actually get into the game. It would be nice if the ones who are not going to get into the game in person would at least get into it in spirit.
Ill take Mason
FBALL isn't Raceland a better game than Greenup and Boyd? I understand what your saying about rivary games but year in and year out those Ohio teams will help Russell achieve their goal were the other two will not.

With the weak district Russell is forced to play in they need all the hard games they can get. Rivalries are great and all but state championships are much sweeter.
Midee1 Wrote:Being a past booster president I know what you speak of in the first blod part. We had our share of those.

As for the second bold part mine did the exact same thing as your except earlier years. Same number and everything.Big Grin

I forgot about that last thing. You are right. They did have the same number.Big Grin Maybe if Ivan waved his hands up and down like that it would get a different reactionWink
Russell needs to win evidently. Russell needs to play and take the word quit and get rid of it. This team has talent, but I think there are some players on the sidelines that are just as good if not better than some cause they are hungry. $44 STORM has made a big impression and is a starter on both side of the ball. Maybe he could be the spark to ignite this team? LEADERSHIP and not self is what this team needs. I see to many stopping if the ball does come there way. Back side ( BALL PURSUIT ) play is slow and lazy and not even there many times.
Mason Co. will leave the HANK with a win and Russell could end up with 4 losses on the season if the fire is not lite. When is the last time that has happened????
The line has to block and D-Fence has got to start tackling. Grab tackling comes from many things. SLOW, LAZY, SCARIED, AFRAID, These words should not even be in Russell Library but they are on the filed Fri nights. If you don't practice tackling you don't tackle, simple???????? Maybe the Boosters don't need to feed the players on Thurs. so they will be hungry come Fri. nights??????
Russell wins this one but it will be a nail biter.
kybaseball Wrote:FBALL isn't Raceland a better game than Greenup and Boyd? I understand what your saying about rivary games but year in and year out those Ohio teams will help Russell achieve their goal were the other two will not.

With the weak district Russell is forced to play in they need all the hard games they can get. Rivalries are great and all but state championships are much sweeter.
Lets get something straight here.

Raceland Has Never Won anything outside of Greenup Co. that mattered.

No District Championships
No Regional Championships
No State Semis
No State Championships
No Conference Championships

Raceland doesn't have a "program" they have a team.

Next year they could easily be horrible.
DevilsWin Wrote:Lets get something straight here.

No State Semis
No State Championships

Easy Devils Win I was just asking. I was just throwing out some ideas,nothing meant towards Russell:rockon: in anyway.:confused:
Mason County lost 28-18 to a good Boone County team who's only loss was 23-14 to Scott County. Boone County blasted Simon Kenton 42-7.

This will be no easier of a task than it was last week. The Devils better come ready to play for sure.
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:Mason County lost 28-18 to a good Boone County team who's only loss was 23-14 to Scott County. Boone County blasted Simon Kenton 42-7.

This will be no easier of a task than it was last week. The Devils better come ready to play for sure.
I think the fans better come to support the DEVILS too!!!
RUSSELL RED DEVILS
I have never picked another team against the Red Devils. EVER. The fire in the gut is just not there this year. I'm sure that some players go 100% each and every play but it only takes one on any given play to take a play off and Presto the play gets blown up by the defense. I just cannot see Russell putting enough plays together in one night where everyone goes 100% to be successful against a team like Mason County. You cannot teach an old dog new tricks. No one loves the Red devils more than me. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck 99% of the time its a duck. I just hate to see a bunch of kids with so much talent and not utilize it on each and every down. Oh well it is what it is.

Mason County 41
Russell 21
DevilsWin Wrote:Lets get something straight here.

No State Semis
No State Championships

Wow I did not know that. I have to wonder why there fans are so in your face when they have a team that has not won consistently. I really think it is a bad idea for Russell to play Raceland. Yes I have changed my mind. Bad idea. All it will take is one win against Russell and we will hear about it for the next 20 years.
kybaseball Wrote:FBALL isn't Raceland a better game than Greenup and Boyd? I understand what your saying about rivary games but year in and year out those Ohio teams will help Russell achieve their goal were the other two will not.

Raceland will beat Russell about 2 out of every 10 years. Then that is all we will hear about.

Raceland is the little brother that drives you nuts. It means everything in the world to them to beat Russell just once. Russell on the hand for the most part could care less about Raceland except for all the crying that they do. I would have rather have never played them at all. Can't stand most of their fans even though I do have friends from Raceland. I say drop them after this year no matter what.

It would be nice to play Portsmouth again. As well as Wheelersburg. Just can't see taking Greenup and Boyd off. That is the neighborhood rivals who should always be played and they will not always be down.

Russell gets Ironton back next year. Ashland should be really good next year as well. Mason will usually be a good team. Boyd and Greenup are up and down but usually competitive. Throw in Raceland or Portsmouth or Wheelersburg or Wayne WV or Cabel Midland or Spring Valley. That is plenty of tough games for one season.
Beetle01 Wrote:I get what you all are saying. I feel there are a few guys who want to lead and try to do so by example and words. However, if those on the field don't want to follow, what can ya do? Also, I still feel the coaching staff could be more motivating other than butt rippings when assignments are missed. Some motivational words of encouragement would be nice. Some kids can get up on their own, some people need to be pushed. I think if the staff may need to step up seeing that the players are not willing to play for eachother and are more worried about themselves. Also the sideline players are pretty bad. Half the time I don't think most of them even know the score.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

This team has so much unrealized potential. Maybe they will come together and realize what they can accomplish. All of the bickering has to stop. Yelling does not make you a leader. Showing that you can play for the guy next to you and give extra effort that makes everyone better around you does.

But like you said. Say the right things, do the right things. If noone is paying attention it doesn't matter.

People talk about Russell being down right now. They have lost to two pretty good football teams. Granted I think they hung their heads and quit in both of those games. Still yet I think Russell has more talent than Mason County and that is enough in this game.

Russell 35
Mason County 27
Fair enough FBALL.
This should be a really good football game but iim going to go with Rusell in this one, good luck devils.
FBALL Wrote:You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

This team has so much unrealized potential. Maybe they will come together and realize what they can accomplish. All of the bickering has to stop. Yelling does not make you a leader. Showing that you can play for the guy next to you and give extra effort that makes everyone better around you does.

But like you said. Say the right things, do the right things. If noone is paying attention it doesn't matter.

People talk about Russell being down right now. They have lost to two pretty good football teams. Granted I think they hung their heads and quit in both of those games. Still yet I think Russell has more talent than Mason County and that is enough in this game.

Russell 35
Mason County 27
Like from the post from jeepman, the fans expect way too much. They lose thier faith too easily. Its easy to quit and walk away but more rewarding to stay and fight the good fight. Even if the fans don't believe in you how do you have faith in yourself? I know his post was a honest guess, but its the non leadership we see that quites the fans. We need to show up as fans instead of lumps on a log that I have seen in the last several games.
RUSSELL RED DEVILS
Very surprising to see Boone only beat Mason by 10. Especially after I watched Ashland hang 6 TD's on them in 1 half without Carter and before Ashland was really playing well and made some adjustments.

I still think if this team comes out ready to play they can win by 28 or more. Or they can not show up and lose by 10.

When I watched Mason play I didn't see a kid on their team who I thought would start for Russell. Of course that was 8 weeks ago, so players get better, and it seems quite a few of ours are not playing up to their potential. LB's and DE's come to mind.
The more I think about why Russell doesn't look as good this year, the more I think we should be talking about the nuts and bolts of what is actually on the field rather than the other stuff we have been focusing on. We keep talking about how disappointing the team looks with all the talent we have. I think most of the talent we are referring to, though, is at the offensive skill positions and not along the lines. That being said, I keep coming back to one thing that is the most glaring weakness to me...defensive line play. Lack of a leader, lack of fire on the sidelines, lack of team togetherness, and lack of enthusiasm from the fans might all add a little to the woes, but I really think the main difference is the play along the defensive front...and I think the statistics bear this out.

Offensively speaking, we averaged 271 yards per game in 2007. This year, we are averaging 271 yards per game as well. We lost a little running ability from the quarterback position but gained a little passing ability. Other than that, all the averages are VERY similar. All in all, after looking at the stats, I think the offense is good enough to win with.

In earlier posts, I pointed out how I think we miss Jones, Foster, Cornwell, and Bender...and then I realized that the defensive front is where all these guys played! We lost an enormous amount of strength, intensity, and aggression there. Rice, Foster, and Jones were the top 3 leading tacklers last year BY FAR. In fact, Jones was 30 tackles ahead of the number 4 guy. This year, our top 3 tacklers are our 2 linebackers and a safety. It stands to reason that teams are getting farther into our defense. Last year, the defense forced 20 fumbles. This year, the defense has forced 4. Last year, the defense had 26 sacks. This year, we have 8. Fact is, we had a meaner, harder hitting defense last year than we do this year. Our linebackers and secondary are the same, yet we keep complaining about lack of aggression and missed tackles this year. Perhaps this was because the 5 across the front took up a lot more attention last year? Trying to block those guys for 4 quarters had to wear down offensive lines.

That being said, what can be done about it? Obviously, the addition of Storm Burgess shores up the part of the team that needed it most and that is bound to help some...perhaps even a lot. I haven't seen him play yet. Can we come up with ways to stop teams when we don't have the stronger and faster players? I think that is the most pressing question facing this team as we come down the stretch run of the season. I ask you football gurus, how do you win games when you have a weaker defensive front than your opposition? Blitz the linebackers? Blitz the safeties? I think if Russell's coaches can solve that riddle, then we can see a good playoff run this year. If they can't, then we won't.

As for this week's game, Mason County has had an identical season to Russell. They have won 6 games against pansies by considerable margins and have lost against the 2 good teams they have played. It is impressive that they came within 10 of Boone County at Boone County, though. I look for this game to not only be a good test for both teams, but to essentially define the season for both teams. I look forward to seeing how it turns out.
I think the answer defensively is to let the line go. Enough of this making them stand up and chicken fighting with their blocker. Shed the blockers, get in the backfield and get the ball carrier. Yes when you have stronger faster players that type of style for your line is suitable. However, they aren't keeping blockers off of the linebackers, because Rice and Smith are consistently having to fight through traffic to get to the ball carrier. This is why we see very few tackles at or behind the line of scrimmage.
Obviously what we have done this season has not worked like we wish it would have. So try something else, Let Dillon, Miller, Burgess, Jones, Hutchinson, and Fosson just run wild and make plays. Penetration is what kills an offense. Any coach can tell ya that. Yet we don't allow our players to penetrate. Also, since almost every team we play doesn't know what a screen pass is, which is the key factor in keeping pressure off, which is why you see so many of them on the college and pro levels.

What did SK do to us that killed our O? They brought the house on every play and wreaked havoc on our offense. Let our line run wild and let our backers get some angles on some players.

What did Ashland do to stop our offense? They brought the house, overloaded us. Why can't we do the same? Those teams are no more talented than ours.
I guess I don't understand. What is our defensive line coached to do? Isn't their job to get penetration into the backfield?
ryanparker Wrote:I guess I don't understand. What is our defensive line coached to do? Isn't their job to get penetration into the backfield?

No they teach them to stand up and hold their spot. Its been my biggest gripe with the defensive strategy @ Russell since I was there. That and the zone they run.
Beetle01 Wrote:No they teach them to stand up and hold their spot. Its been my biggest gripe with the defensive strategy @ Russell since I was there. That and the zone they run.

What is standing up and holding their spot supposed to accomplish? Does the defense intentionally count on the 2 linebackers and 2 safeties to make all the tackles? Is this a common strategy that other football teams employ?
In fact, here is a quote from the very definition of "defensive lineman" from Wikipedia:

"The primary job of a defensive lineman is to gain penetration past the line of scrimmage to disrupt an offensive play."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defensive_lineman
This teams is in desperate need of a 4-4.

Put Storm, Dillon, Hutchinson and Miller up front and run wild, getting penetration.

Rice OLB, Smith ILB, Jones ILB, Fosson OLB

Bailey CB
Crodle CB
Rogers S

Bailey and Cordle go man on outside recievers, everyone else is zone coverage, with Max over top.