Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
June Buchanan 72 - Prestonburg 57
BeaverCreek Connection Wrote:I was at the game. I must say the blackcats played much much better, especially in the first half. I expected JB to be much more agressive and push the ball harder, they did not. Clint Stepp had 20, Clark had I believe 18 and Tate with 10. This is the stats I heard from the TV replay. Clint Stepp was the difference in the game imo because he just kept drilling the trey everytime the blackcats would make a run. Oh yes, how any JB fan could complain about the refs amazes me. JB's big man was over the back all night and Clark was doing the dipsy do jump step walk all night. There is no doubt that coach JD Crisp is the most laid back coach in the area, but tonight he became totally unglued on the ref because of the constant over the back "not being made". Anyway, JB won the game and has a nice team. Pburg played better.....than usual.

Good post.
BeaverCreek Connection Wrote:I was at the game. I must say the blackcats played much much better, especially in the first half. I expected JB to be much more agressive and push the ball harder, they did not. Clint Stepp had 20, Clark had I believe 18 and Tate with 10. This is the stats I heard from the TV replay. Clint Stepp was the difference in the game imo because he just kept drilling the trey everytime the blackcats would make a run. Oh yes, how any JB fan could complain about the refs amazes me. JB's big man was over the back all night and Clark was doing the dipsy do jump step walk all night. There is no doubt that coach JD Crisp is the most laid back coach in the area, but tonight he became totally unglued on the ref because of the constant over the back "not being made". Anyway, JB won the game and has a nice team. Pburg played better.....than usual.

Most people have the wrong idea about "over the back". People automatically think if a player behind another player gets a rebound, it is over the back. First, there has to be contact. Second, the player in back can jump straight up without being "over the back". I'm going to guess that the JBS player is taller than Stephens, so a kid can't be penalized for being taller or being able to jump higher. The player being can even jump straight up, reach over the player in front, and if there is no contact, it is not a foul. Common sense tells you that a player who is 4 inches taller has that capability.

Clark always walks and they never call it!!!
Congrats JBS...
blackcat_mvp6 Wrote:I'm tired of the complaints on refs, if they are a good enough team they will win not matter what, and thats what JBS did. But I doubt the officiating was that bad for JBS or they wouldn't have pulled away like that.

If I was a p-burg fan i would be tired of hearing that too but it's true everyone and I mean everyone knows p-burg gets more than their share of calls at home because they have their own refs. Look everyone disagreeing are all blackcat fans so wow what a suprise I know the refs in the 15th region are the worst but they give p-burg every break they can.
BballFan25 Wrote:This game was officiated bad like always at pburg, thats how pburg stayed in the game. Clint Stepp had 6 3's. Tate just wouldnt shoot, needs to be less unselfish, because IMO he's the best player on the team. Clark played decent, and he had more than 12 points. My guess would be around 25 total, but it was a quiet 25. Very sloppy game both ways, but JBS was just too good even playing 5 on 7. Congrats JBS
Cox had the first 7 points of the game for JBS. Then they called 3 fouls on him. One right after another. He had to sit out for a time .
Congrats JBS onthe win. I thought the cats played well not great. They did try to go inside a little more tonight and stephens had an okay game but he was being guarded by a much bigger player. The cats are getting there though. They still at times look a little flat in crucial parts of the game and I think JBS took advantage of it and increased the lead fron 2-3 to 10-15 late. I think Cox is the best player for JBS but isn't allowed to play his game. If he was to be turned loose like Clark then he would average 30 or more with less shots. Clint played a very good game, nice shooter. Oh and nice one handed dunk by the big guy but you have to put the two hander down as well. Even as a blackcat fan I enjoyed that.

As for the refs, I don't think they called a consistent game either way but those were 2 of the worst the 15th has to offer and we all know the best in th 15th aren't great. JBS was a LITTLE better team on this night and it showed. Overall was not that impressed with JBS. There are a good team. I have watched Cordia, Knott Central, Letcher Central, Perry Central, Hazard and Breathitt in the 14th and I don't think JBS is a head above any of those teams. So to me looks like the 14th could be a very fun tourny to watch.
slingblade93 Wrote:If I was a p-burg fan i would be tired of hearing that too but it's true everyone and I mean everyone knows p-burg gets more than their share of calls at home because they have their own refs. Look everyone disagreeing are all blackcat fans so wow what a suprise I know the refs in the 15th region are the worst but they give p-burg every break they can.

Oh yeah the Blackcats get so many calls at home that their record reflect that- 5 wins and 7 lossess at home and 3-6 on the road. Now you tell me how thats getting the calls at home. The 14th has had 3 teams come in and win so if they were getting the calls don't you think the 15th officials would at least put it to 14th teams against a 15th home team. I think you are just upset because one of those wins is against your team. Get over it they got the 1 seed in the district tourny so don't worry----BE HAPPY.
Johnny Fairplay Wrote:Oh yeah the Blackcats get so many calls at home that their record reflect that- 5 wins and 7 lossess at home and 3-6 on the road. Now you tell me how thats getting the calls at home. The 14th has had 3 teams come in and win so if they were getting the calls don't you think the 15th officials would at least put it to 14th teams against a 15th home team. I think you are just upset because one of those wins is against your team. Get over it they got the 1 seed in the district tourny so don't worry----BE HAPPY.

Just because Prestonsburg lost on there home floor doesn't change the fact that the refs give them more calls than anyone else gets on there home floor period. They are not that good and their record shows it (plus they have one more loss than is showed because they also lost in the Jenny Wiley tournament final) but the refs keep it close so anything can happen----NOW YOU BE HAPPY.
Shady Grady Wrote:Most people have the wrong idea about "over the back". People automatically think if a player behind another player gets a rebound, it is over the back. First, there has to be contact. Second, the player in back can jump straight up without being "over the back". I'm going to guess that the JBS player is taller than Stephens, so a kid can't be penalized for being taller or being able to jump higher. The player being can even jump straight up, reach over the player in front, and if there is no contact, it is not a foul. Common sense tells you that a player who is 4 inches taller has that capability.

I agree, most people think just because the player from behind gets the rebound, its an automatic over the back, and thats not true, good post
slingblade93 Wrote:If I was a p-burg fan i would be tired of hearing that too but it's true everyone and I mean everyone knows p-burg gets more than their share of calls at home because they have their own refs. Look everyone disagreeing are all blackcat fans so wow what a suprise I know the refs in the 15th region are the worst but they give p-burg every break they can.
How can they have "their own refs" when the refs are assigned by the 15th region and not by the schools themselfs? I never did understand that logic when people say that but no one can ever explain it.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:How can they have "their own refs" when the refs are assigned by the 15th region and not by the schools themselfs? I never did understand that logic when people say that but no one can ever explain it.

Because a ref is suppose to turn down an assignment if they or any of their family has any ties to one of the schools that are playing. The KHSAA doesn't know what schools that a ref or his family has ties to so this is a honor system and we all know that the refs in the 15th region have no honor but this seems to only happen at Prestonsburg.
I have seen refs there that have either graduated from p-burg or their kids have so you tell me how they can call the game fairly.
Shady Grady Wrote:Most people have the wrong idea about "over the back". People automatically think if a player behind another player gets a rebound, it is over the back. First, there has to be contact. Second, the player in back can jump straight up without being "over the back". I'm going to guess that the JBS player is taller than Stephens, so a kid can't be penalized for being taller or being able to jump higher. The player being can even jump straight up, reach over the player in front, and if there is no contact, it is not a foul. Common sense tells you that a player who is 4 inches taller has that capability.

Thats very true, but in a game 99% of the time it is a foul and they are not called. Not too many kids are trying to keep from bumping into another kid when they go after the ball, weather its over the back or diving after the ball. They are in it to win and they don't step back and think to themselves that going after the ball will be a foul. They just go. So imo, I think the biggest part of over the backs are fouls and if a kid is taller he gets away with it. And JBS is bad for it and they do get away with it.
Well that doesn't make any sense to me, I dont really like the refs we get in P-burg. I must not notice all the breaks we get.

Rolleyes

Prestonsburg has different referees at every home game, but there are some every now and then that do the Prestonsburg twice and three times. And these so called calls going our way, I've never scene them.

Prestonsburg isn't the only school that has a referee that has ties to another school. I know of one right now that has a son that attends a high school that he has done games for.

So Prestonsburg isn't the only one.
blackcat_student Wrote:Rolleyes

Prestonsburg has different referees at every home game, but there are some every now and then that do the Prestonsburg twice and three times. And these so called calls going our way, I've never scene them.

Prestonsburg isn't the only school that has a referee that has ties to another school. I know of one right now that has a son that attends a high school that he has done games for.

So Prestonsburg isn't the only one.

You would say that there is no way you can go to as many of prestonsburg games as you do and can honestly say the calls are even both ways or you are in the same honor program as the 15th region refs. I know you have nothing to do with the calls but you can at least be honest about the sorry officiating that goes on at Prestonsburg and that it always goes their whether they win or lose
slingblade93 Wrote:You would say that there is no way you can go to as many of prestonsburg games as you do and can honestly say the calls are even both ways or you are in the same honor program as the 15th region refs. I know you have nothing to do with the calls but you can at least be honest about the sorry officiating that goes on at Prestonsburg and that it always goes their whether they win or lose

I've noticed a few times but those calls are always made up for.

The thing is, I don't like seeing people take anything away from the boys I'm about to graduate with, especially when they go out there and bust there butts off win or lose.
The refs Tues. Night were consistently inconsistent!!
That IMO is the caliber of Refs that are Floating around not only the 15th but, throughout at least, this part of the state. What other reason would a ref be looking at the scoreboard SO MUCH during Live play?? A ref should be watching the action as it takes place on the floor &, listening for the other refs whistle or the horn to blow. If he sees a call that should be made, then make it. During a dead ball, I can see the ref looking at the scoreboard & getting a grasp on the way things are going but, to do it as often as I've seen it lately is suspicious.
As a Blackcat fan, I think it takes NOTHING away from our boys to step out on a limb & say the REFS we usually get SUCK!
I have seen bad calls against PBurg also @ Home but, you have to understand that when visiting teams see some of those Ridiculous calls made against their teams they are going to jump at the chance to report on here How Biases PBurg's Refs are
b-ball_guy Wrote:The refs Tues. Night were consistently inconsistent!!
That IMO is the caliber of Refs that are Floating around not only the 15th but, throughout at least, this part of the state. What other reason would a ref be looking at the scoreboard SO MUCH during Live play?? A ref should be watching the action as it takes place on the floor &, listening for the other refs whistle or the horn to blow. If he sees a call that should be made, then make it. During a dead ball, I can see the ref looking at the scoreboard & getting a grasp on the way things are going but, to do it as often as I've seen it lately is suspicious.

Exactly they are either trying to help one team or trying to even up the fouls so no one can say anything thats why you see a team with a big lead and no need to foul have 5,6, 7 or 8 more fouls to help out when touch fouls are being called and hard fouls are not then something is up
b-ball_guy Wrote:As a Blackcat fan, I think it takes NOTHING away from our boys to step out on a limb & say the REFS we usually get SUCK!
I have seen bad calls against PBurg also @ Home but, you have to understand that when visiting teams see some of those Ridiculous calls made against their teams they are going to jump at the chance to report on here How Biases PBurg's Refs are

We don't have our own refs.
blackcat_student Wrote:I've noticed a few times but those calls are always made up for.

The thing is, I don't like seeing people take anything away from the boys I'm about to graduate with, especially when they go out there and bust there butts off win or lose.

See thats whats wrong you don't want anything taken away from your boys but is ok to take it away from the other boys. NO one should have anything taken from them in sports you are supose to earn it. It's supose to be a level playing field
slingblade93 Wrote:See thats whats wrong you don't want anything taken away from your boys but is ok to take it away from the other boys. NO one should have anything taken from them in sports you are supose to earn it. It's supose to be a level playing field

I didn't say that.

Even if it sounded like that too you thats not what I meant.

Its not the players fought, not the fans/students fought, and its not the coaches/administrations fought, its the referees.
blackcat_student Wrote:We don't have our own refs.

Wrong answer but keep telling yourself that and you might believe it when no one else does but we know you don't care unless it's in your buddies favor. Good way to lead by example lifes not fair but sports should be but Prestonsburg has always thought of themselfs better than anyone else in the area
slingblade93 Wrote:Wrong answer but keep telling yourself that and you might believe it when no one else does but we know you don't care unless it's in your buddies favor. Good way to lead by example lifes not fair but sports should be but Prestonsburg has always thought of themselfs better than anyone else in the area

Your unbelievable... I support every team in this region. Yes Prestonsburg is the team I'd walk threw fire for but I've never said anything negative about any other team in the 15th region or in the state of Kentucky.

I cannot help whats happened in the past but to say that I think that I'm better just because I goto Prestonsburg is ludicrous.

I'm a very proud student and fan of the Prestonsburg Blackcats but again I've never though of myself as being better than anyone else in the district or region.
blackcat_student Wrote:Your unbelievable... I support every team in this region. Yes Prestonsburg is the team I'd walk threw fire for but I've never said anything negative about any other team in the 15th region or in the state of Kentucky.

I cannot help whats happened in the past but to say that I think that I'm better just because I goto Prestonsburg is ludicrous.

I'm a very proud student and fan of the Prestonsburg Blackcats but again I've never though of myself as being better than anyone else in the district or region.

Didn't say you peticular I said Prestonsburg in general but must have hit a nerve no one in Prestonsburg is better than anyone else.
Nice win.....
JBS seems to be gaining some momentum again. I think it will be a very interesting 14th regional tournament.
slingblade93 Wrote:Wrong answer but keep telling yourself that and you might believe it when no one else does but we know you don't care unless it's in your buddies favor. Good way to lead by example lifes not fair but sports should be but Prestonsburg has always thought of themselfs better than anyone else in the area

Hey man how did you know that we thought we were better than everyone? I thought that was a secret. lol Smile Smile Smile
I dont understand what the argument is here. Any home team gets the calls. It is obvious. If you go to Allen Central and play then the Rebs are going to get the call. Same way at Betsy Layne, South Floyd, etc. This is pointless. I believe that some people are just mad cause they are on the opposing team when they go into Prestonsburg. Especially when they come out with a loss!