Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is the best 3 pt shooter in the mountains?
uhavenoidea Wrote:Im willing to bet anything Crum has more 3's in just three of his games than Elijah has all season. Also I know Akers has more 3's in five games than Justice has 4 the year and the same goes for Hall from P-burg.

IMO, that doesn't mean anything. The reason is SV's style of play. SV plays a very different style than AC, SF, or PHS. They have a very deliberate, balanced attack & Justice's main job is to run the team and distribute the ball. He is very selective (smart I should say) in his shot selection. Crum, Akers, & Hall are all good players & good shooters, but all of them take terrible shots from time to time (especially Akers) as do most players. Justice never takes a bad shot --- never! & not only that he probably doesn't take half the # of shots as those three. IMO, that matters! & that's one reason SV is the best team in the 15th and maybe Eastern KY.

Think about it for a second, just about any decent shooter could average 4 to 6 three's a game if they shot 20 to 25 of them a night & just came down the floor and fired it from 25+ feet at any time. Even I could probably do that Smile I bet Justice averages at least 2 or 3 three's a game on probably 6 to 8 attempts. Just because he hasn't taken as many 3's as some of the others doesn't mean he's not as good a shooter as any of the three you mentioned. IMO, he is a better shooter than Hall & Akers, but not Crum. Just my opinion!
americangirl Wrote:Let's see, best overall in the mountains #1Hall #2 Slone #3 Justice. Best overall in the 14th would be #1Cox #2Clark #3Clint #4Hurt #5stamper. One having a really sure way of knowing i would say this is 75% right.
No way Clark Stepp should be in the Top 10
Who could possibly compare any of these guys???
Scenario:
Player (A) is a leading scorer with a reputation of hittig a lot of three's and draws the top fefender every game, and takes around 10 (3) attempts per game with a defender in his face every time and over the course of a year averages hitting40% from behind the arc.
Or you have another player that had trey range but isn't a big scoring threat and therefor draws a lesser defender and is able to get wide open looks about 3-4 times a game and ends up hitting for 50% on the year.
Then it ends up just being oppinions!!!
A better thread topic IMO would be who has the deepest range! Like who out there can hit 35% or more from 25 feet out!
The Guru Wrote:Who could possibly compare any of these guys???
Scenario:
Player (A) is a leading scorer with a reputation of hittig a lot of three's and draws the top fefender every game, and takes around 10 (3) attempts per game with a defender in his face every time and over the course of a year averages hitting40% from behind the arc.
Or you have another player that had trey range but isn't a big scoring threat and therefor draws a lesser defender and is able to get wide open looks about 3-4 times a game and ends up hitting for 50% on the year.
Then it ends up just being oppinions!!!
A better thread topic IMO would be who has the deepest range! Like who out there can hit 35% or more from 25 feet out!

Well, it's always going to be opinions. I guess it's just who makes the best argument. I see what you are saying, but I think range would only matter in a game of horse. Most coaches don't want players taking shots from 25 ft on a regular basis. Your talking 6 ft behind the line. I mean A home run is the same whether it goes 1 ft over the fence or 100 ft over the fence, it's still the same home run. Just like a 3 pt'er is the same whether it's shot from 19'9 or 29'9, it still only counts 3 pts. That's why, IMO, having the deepest range doesn't automatically make a player the best shooter. It may be good for a game of horse, but 19'9 is all the range you need in high school. IMO, a lot more important things factor into being a good shooter. Like shot selection for one, you could be one of the best shooters in the world, but if you take bad shots your probably not going to shoot a good percentage. Which is the next thing, shooting percentage, if a player doesn't have a good shooting percentage from long range then he shouldn't be shooting that particular shot. The other night A. Crum was 10-13 from behind the line --- Wow! now that's a good percentage! and I'll bet of the 13 attempts 11 where excellant shots. Thats one of the reasons I think he is the best shooter in the region. # of shot attempts also plays a role, but that goes along with shooting percentage. A lot of people can hit 8 or 10 treys in a game if they shoot 25 to 30 of them. Anyway just my opinion! :Thumbs:
Junk Yard Dog Wrote:IMO, that doesn't mean anything. The reason is SV's style of play. SV plays a very different style than AC, SF, or PHS. They have a very deliberate, balanced attack & Justice's main job is to run the team and distribute the ball. He is very selective (smart I should say) in his shot selection. Crum, Akers, & Hall are all good players & good shooters, but all of them take terrible shots from time to time (especially Akers) as do most players. Justice never takes a bad shot --- never! & not only that he probably doesn't take half the # of shots as those three. IMO, that matters! & that's one reason SV is the best team in the 15th and maybe Eastern KY.

Think about it for a second, just about any decent shooter could average 4 to 6 three's a game if they shot 20 to 25 of them a night & just came down the floor and fired it from 25+ feet at any time. Even I could probably do that Smile I bet Justice averages at least 2 or 3 three's a game on probably 6 to 8 attempts. Just because he hasn't taken as many 3's as some of the others doesn't mean he's not as good a shooter as any of the three you mentioned. IMO, he is a better shooter than Hall & Akers, but not Crum. Just my opinion!

Ok...Here's how i see it...Crum Has Hammonds to get him the ball...Akers has to create his own shots, yes he does shoot bad shots...But any other player in situation akers is in would do the same...Yes, Justice has a better shot selection, but look at what a team he has. Justice is the PG for the best team in the region. With that said he doesnt have to take many shots...OK, take what you said about what you think Justice does from behind the 3pt. arc...2/8 is 25%, 3/8 is 37%, 2/6 is 33%, 3/6 is 50%...Now what i get from that, is that the 37% is not bad and the 50% is great(which goes back to Justice's shot selection which is good)...But take those 4 possible outcomes as 4 games...For example, he would be 10/28 for 36%...IMO that doesnt make Mr. Justice look all to well and Hall, Akers or Crum can do better than that...I agree that he has better shot selection, but those %'s dont look that good for a player with a good shot selection(or atleast how you made him look)...Wink
Akers is shooting about 40% or better for the year and i feel that it would be a safe bet that Hall(maybe shooting a little bit lower of a %) and Crum is as well
uhavenoidea Wrote:Ok...Here's how i see it...Crum Has Hammonds to get him the ball...Akers has to create his own shots, yes he does shoot bad shots...But any other player in situation akers is in would do the same...Yes, Justice has a better shot selection, but look at what a team he has. Justice is the PG for the best team in the region. With that said he doesnt have to take many shots...OK, take what you said about what you think Justice does from behind the 3pt. arc...2/8 is 25%, 3/8 is 37%, 2/6 is 33%, 3/6 is 50%...Now what i get from that, is that the 37% is not bad and the 50% is great(which goes back to Justice's shot selection which is good)...But take those 4 possible outcomes as 4 games...For example, he would be 10/28 for 36%...IMO that doesnt make Mr. Justice look all to well...I agree that he has better shot selection, but those %'s dont look that good for a player with a good shot selection(or atleast how you made him look)...Wink

But take a look at this, that Mr. Justice was the MVP of the 15th as a freshmen, he draws the best defender from the opposite team every time he steps on the floor, he is not a shoot first player, he dishes out a bunch of assists every night, him hitting 3,4, or 5 3's a night is great for him because he is usually over matched in size.
PC_You_Know Wrote:But take a look at this, that Mr. Justice was the MVP of the 15th as a freshmen, he draws the best defender from the opposite team every time he steps on the floor, he is not a shoot first player, he dishes out a bunch of assists every night, him hitting 3,4, or 5 3's a night is great for him because he is usually over matched in size.

I didnt say Justice wasnt a better player...You cant get MVP if your not in the title game...Crum was in a diff. state and neither Hall or Akers made it to the regional tour...SV has the best team in the region, no doubt about that...Im sure Crum, Akers and Hall draws the best defenders as well...This thread is not about assists or the better player..Crum is 5'11 id say, Hall is 5'9, and Akers is 5'7 so dont think size is a good excuse...I was just proving my point against Junk Yard's.
uhavenoidea Wrote:I didnt say Justice wasnt a better player...You cant get MVP if your not in the title game...Crum was in a diff. state and neither Hall or Akers made it to the regional tour...SV has the best team in the region, no doubt about that...Im sure Crum, Akers and Hall draws the best defenders as well...This thread is not about assists or the better player..Crum is 5'11 id say, Hall is 5'9, and Akers is 5'7 so dont think size is a good excuse...I was just proving my point against Junk Yard's.

Honestly, I know the MVP has to be in the title game, but not a player in the 15th had the year last year like Elisha did.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Honestly, I know the MVP has to be in the title game, but not a player in the 15th had the year last year like Elisha did.

Your kidding right?...Yes, he had a stellar postseason, but not exactly the best season out of everyone..McCarty(JC), Slone,etc. i know for sure had better seasons than he did...I know he was only a freshman, but you were the one who said no one had a season like he did...
Please keep this on topic....

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
uhavenoidea Wrote:Your kidding right?...Yes, he had a stellar postseason, but not exactly the best season out of everyone..McCarty(JC), Slone,etc. i know for sure had better seasons than he did...I know he was only a freshman, but you were the one who said no one had a season like he did...

Wait, where did Slone and McCarty's teams get to, oh yeah, Justice had the better season, he played more games too.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Wait, where did Slone and McCarty's teams get to, oh yeah, Justice had the better season, he played more games too.

Justice played on the better team...I didnt kno Justice won the region by himself...Oh yea, how could i forget i seen it in the lexington herald...Justice wins it all "BY HIMSELF"Smile ...Yes, Justice played more games and made it further, but that dont mean he had a better season, it just means his team had a better year. It would be best for you to just keep it on topic like PHs1986 saidSmileSmileSmile
Noone from the 14th
Tate Cox from JBS.
uk96 Wrote:Tate Cox from JBS.
Good choice but he is a streaky shooter, about like Patrick Sparks
uk96 Wrote:Tate Cox from JBS.

Great player when he gets the ball.
Benchwarmer Wrote:Great player when he gets the ball.
I do like the location that you have listed as your address....
uhavenoidea Wrote:Elijah Justice is not the best 3pt shooter in the 15th, lil lone the mountains...

I dont know about to many of the shooters in any other regions...But here is mine for the 15th.

57th: Slone-Paintsville(Everybody knows he can shoot)
58th: Crum-AC, Akers-SF, Hall-PBurg (Crum has 2 games with 10 3's in each, probably around 40 for the year)(Akers has a few games with 6 or more 3's, Probably around 40 or so for the year so far)(Hall has a game with 8 3's, probably around 40 for the year also.)
59th: Justice-SV(Probably has around 25-30 3's for the year so far.)
60th: Hunt-Phelps(Broke the Phelps school record with 9 3's in a game)

We must look at the competition each of the above menitoned players have played against to get these numbers. Shooting wide open threes against non-competitive teams does not necessarily make you the best shooter. Hit them in a crucial game, against tough competiton and then we can consider them great shooters.

I'll take Justice over any of the above mentioned players to take the three with the game on the line.
uhavenoidea Wrote:Ok...Here's how i see it...Crum Has Hammonds to get him the ball...Akers has to create his own shots, yes he does shoot bad shots...But any other player in situation akers is in would do the same...Yes, Justice has a better shot selection, but look at what a team he has. Justice is the PG for the best team in the region. With that said he doesnt have to take many shots...OK, take what you said about what you think Justice does from behind the 3pt. arc...2/8 is 25%, 3/8 is 37%, 2/6 is 33%, 3/6 is 50%...Now what i get from that, is that the 37% is not bad and the 50% is great(which goes back to Justice's shot selection which is good)...But take those 4 possible outcomes as 4 games...For example, he would be 10/28 for 36%...IMO that doesnt make Mr. Justice look all to well and Hall, Akers or Crum can do better than that...I agree that he has better shot selection, but those %'s dont look that good for a player with a good shot selection(or atleast how you made him look)...Wink
Akers is shooting about 40% or better for the year and i feel that it would be a safe bet that Hall(maybe shooting a little bit lower of a %) and Crum is as well

The thread didn't say anything about being the best shooter with someone to get the ball too him, like you said about Crum. Neither did it say anything about the rest of the team of the best shooter, like you mentioned with Justice. I respectfully disagree that Akers has to create his own shots. He is a good spot up shooter "Period", & IMO he should not be trying to create a shot. He would be better suited to wait for the shot to come to him. IMO he has great difficulty in creating his own shot because he is so small (like 5'3 I think) and he doesn't handle the ball that well. I don't think Akers is a good shooter at all when he tries to create. He forces too much. I also disagree that any other player in his situation would do the same. I've seen alot better players on teams just as bad and they didn't do it. Just my opinion!

You cant just make up hypothetical stats for Justice & then say they don't make him look all that well :booo: That's no kind of an argument --- it's silly! I think you are playing the "What If" game again Smile & seems like we've been down that road before in an earlier thread. It's not about "what if" its about "what is".
Chuck Taylor Wrote:We must look at the competition each of the above menitoned players have played against to get these numbers. Shooting wide open threes against non-competitive teams does not necessarily make you the best shooter. Hit them in a crucial game, against tough competiton and then we can consider them great shooters.

I'll take Justice over any of the above mentioned players to take the three with the game on the line.

Very good point and I agree. Wink It's easy to stand back and fire from anywhere & everywhere, every time down when your playing Piarist, or if you already know ahead of time your going to lose. Justice has played in some big games. I don't think it's by accident he's on the best team in the region either. I think he makes them just that by the way he plays and the way his teammates respond. This is a kid you want on your team. He is there leader! There are a lot of good players in the 15th region, but IMO there is also some jealously from older players in the region over Justice because he has accomplished so much at such a young age. To be frank IMO "He's just flat out better than them". The bottom line is he has just out worked and out performed them. Don't mean to make anyone mad but that's just my opinion.
Chuck Taylor Wrote:We must look at the competition each of the above menitoned players have played against to get these numbers. Shooting wide open threes against non-competitive teams does not necessarily make you the best shooter. Hit them in a crucial game, against tough competiton and then we can consider them great shooters.

Good post, I agree with you.

Me too....Well said Chuck Taylor.
Junk Yard Dog Wrote:The thread didn't say anything about being the best shooter with someone to get the ball too him, like you said about Crum. Neither did it say anything about the rest of the team of the best shooter, like you mentioned with Justice. I respectfully disagree that Akers has to create his own shots. He is a good spot up shooter "Period", & IMO he should not be trying to create a shot. He would be better suited to wait for the shot to come to him. IMO he has great difficulty in creating his own shot because he is so small (like 5'3 I think) and he doesn't handle the ball that well. I don't think Akers is a good shooter at all when he tries to create. He forces too much. I also disagree that any other player in his situation would do the same. I've seen alot better players on teams just as bad and they didn't do it. Just my opinion!

You cant just make up hypothetical stats for Justice & then say they don't make him look all that well :booo: That's no kind of an argument --- it's silly! I think you are playing the "What If" game again Smile & seems like we've been down that road before in an earlier thread. It's not about "what if" its about "what is".

I didnt make up no stats...if you would read alittle bit, but its obvious you didnt take up on my advice about that...If you would have read you would've seen that what i said was in response to what someone else said...
uhavenoidea Wrote:I didnt make up no stats...if you would read alittle bit, but its obvious you didnt take up on my advice about that...If you would have read you would've seen that what i said was in response to what someone else said...

The only thing I notice is that when you post, it seems like almost everyone in the thread disagrees with what you say, do you find that odd?
Last warning about keeping on topic. This is a discussion thread. Not everyone is going to agree with each other.

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
PC_You_Know Wrote:The only thing I notice is that when you post, it seems like almost everyone in the thread disagrees with what you say, do you find that odd?

No, I dont really find that odd...Obviously everybody is an Elijah Justice fan...Im not trying to diss the kid...He is a great player, but not the best shooter...
uk96 Wrote:I do like the location that you have listed as your address....

I cant wait to move.
uhavenoidea Wrote:Justice is the PG for the best team in the region. With that said he doesnt have to take many shots...OK, take what you said about what you think Justice does from behind the 3pt. arc...2/8 is 25%, 3/8 is 37%, 2/6 is 33%, 3/6 is 50%...Now what i get from that, is that the 37% is not bad and the 50% is great(which goes back to Justice's shot selection which is good)...But take those 4 possible outcomes as 4 games...For example, he would be 10/28 for 36%...IMO that doesnt make Mr. Justice look all to well and Hall, Akers or Crum can do better than that...I agree that he has better shot selection, but those %'s dont look that good for a player with a good shot selection(or atleast how you made him look)...Wink

uhavenoidea Wrote:I didnt make up no stats...if you would read alittle bit, but its obvious you didnt take up on my advice about that...If you would have read you would've seen that what i said was in response to what someone else said...

No I didn't take your advice, but I did take the time to go back and highlight whats in question. It's my uderstanding these aren't E. Justice's real game stats, (If they are then let me know & I'll say I'm sorry), but if they are not actual stats then they are made up. And when you made them up you didn't take into acount the possibility he could shoot 5/7, 6/8, or even 2/3 from the 3 pt line. Instead of shooting what I've got highlighted above in your post. My hypotheticaly totals are 72% & that's pretty good.
Junk Yard Dog Wrote:Well, it's always going to be opinions. I guess it's just who makes the best argument. I see what you are saying, but I think range would only matter in a game of horse. Most coaches don't want players taking shots from 25 ft on a regular basis. Your talking 6 ft behind the line. I mean A home run is the same whether it goes 1 ft over the fence or 100 ft over the fence, it's still the same home run. Just like a 3 pt'er is the same whether it's shot from 19'9 or 29'9, it still only counts 3 pts. That's why, IMO, having the deepest range doesn't automatically make a player the best shooter. It may be good for a game of horse, but 19'9 is all the range you need in high school. IMO, a lot more important things factor into being a good shooter. Like shot selection for one, you could be one of the best shooters in the world, but if you take bad shots your probably not going to shoot a good percentage. Which is the next thing, shooting percentage, if a player doesn't have a good shooting percentage from long range then he shouldn't be shooting that particular shot. The other night A. Crum was 10-13 from behind the line --- Wow! now that's a good percentage! and I'll bet of the 13 attempts 11 where excellant shots. Thats one of the reasons I think he is the best shooter in the region. # of shot attempts also plays a role, but that goes along with shooting percentage. A lot of people can hit 8 or 10 treys in a game if they shoot 25 to 30 of them. Anyway just my opinion! :Thumbs:
I don't really think you understood me.
I never said that being able to shoot from 25 feet made you a better 3pt shooter.
I said a thread on who has the deepest range would be better than this thread because there are to many tangibles to get a clear judgement of this thread.
PC_You_Know Wrote:The only thing I notice is that when you post, it seems like almost everyone in the thread disagrees with what you say, do you find that odd?

I agree Smile