Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Breathitt County
Hollon kid will do better than some thing if he is the starter as a freshman. Sure, a year to get up to speed (or even half a season) would be best but sometimes thats not how it works.

What Hollon impressed me the most with was how much he improved year to year in middle school, both with his physical abilities, but also with is football IQ for a QB. If he can continue that, he will be a very solid HS QB during his time. Kid is a gamer and one you want on your roster.
He has to grow a little for sure. He probably does have the toughness. But this isn’t middle school. I hope he can last the year. You see what happen to him in the battle of the regions.
(07-22-2024, 10:48 PM)Basketballguru1 Wrote: He has to grow a little for sure. He probably does have the toughness. But this isn’t middle school. I hope he can last the year. You see what happen to him in the battle of the regions.

Wont disagree with the growth part, but he will some at least.  

That BOR play was tough, but he hung in their and tried to make the play.
(07-22-2024, 09:22 PM)plantmanky Wrote: Hollon kid will do better than some thing if he is the starter as a freshman.  Sure, a year to get up to speed (or even half a season) would be best but sometimes thats not how it works.

What Hollon impressed me the most with was how much he improved year to year in middle school, both with his physical abilities, but also with is football IQ for a QB.  If he can continue that, he will be a very solid HS QB during his time.  Kid is a gamer and one you want on your roster.
I with you think the kid can be pretty good over career. This year will be learning curve but can see him settle in have good year.

(07-22-2024, 10:48 PM)Basketballguru1 Wrote: He has to grow a little for sure. He probably does have the toughness. But this isn’t middle school. I hope he can last the year. You see what happen to him in the battle of the regions
 I talk one coaches said grown over two inches since baseball. But what does growth got do with Qb . There is no 6 ft 5 linemen on team. Wouldn’t matter if kid grew any at all. Might hurt going college but really has nothing do with play. There QB in nfl and played shorter him.
To the statement about Breathitt having three coaches in lifetime of program.  I’m not trying to correct that, but curious….

I had always heard Principal Bill Toler was the first coach and got the program going against HUGE initial opposition.  Even businesses in town shoe polishing their windows-“keep football out; it will destroy our basketball program”!

Can anyone confirm if BT did coach until he hired Dudley to take over?
(07-23-2024, 10:31 AM)ROTC Wrote: To the statement about Breathitt having three coaches in lifetime of program.  I’m not trying to correct that, but curious….

I had always heard Principal Bill Toler was the first coach and got the program going against HUGE initial opposition.  Even businesses in town shoe polishing their windows-“keep football out; it will destroy our basketball program”!

Seems like Tevis Gray was first coach recruited by Superintendent Sebastian at like 22 years old then maybe Dudley? I read somewhere recently about it but will research it for sure.

(07-23-2024, 08:53 PM)Slim one Wrote:
(07-23-2024, 10:31 AM)ROTC Wrote: To the statement about Breathitt having three coaches in lifetime of program.  I’m not trying to correct that, but curious….

Seems like Tevis Gray was first coach recruited by Superintendent Sebastian at like 22 years old then maybe Dudley? I read somewhere recently about it but will research it for sure. Toler filled in temporarily when Gray went to Bath county and they soon hired Dudley.

Tevis gray was there one year and I don’t think played true varsity schedule. You’re right we had 4 coaches but 3 that played varsity schedule.
(07-24-2024, 08:02 PM)Statebound19 Wrote:

Tevis gray was there one year and I don’t think played true varsity schedule. You’re right we had 4 coaches but 3 that played varsity schedule.
Two seasons I think. ‘73 played JV teams ‘74 went 1-10 against varsity. July ‘75 Gray moved to Bath County to start a football program.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Slim one's post:
  • Statebound19
Didn’t Dudley go undefeated and lose by one point to eventual state champs, Russell, in ‘78?
(07-25-2024, 11:19 AM)ROTC Wrote: Didn’t Dudley go undefeated and lose by one point to eventual state champs, Russell, in ‘78?
Undefeated but lost to Russell and Billy Ray Cyrus by 21 maybe.
Don't forget the 1980 team that went 10-1 and didn't make the playoffs because they lost to Mike Whitaker's Leslie County bunch early in the season. Amazing to think that in the day and age where everyone essentially makes the post-season.
Heard the hollan kid had a bike accident and hurt his shoulder really bad. In my opinion this kid stays hurt either on the field or off the field. True his uncle may have been tough, but that doesn’t necessarily mean he’s tough. He’s not ready for varsity football and if he’s in there he won’t last 3 games before being injured.
(07-25-2024, 02:36 PM)Mountainparkway Wrote: Heard the hollan kid had a bike accident and hurt his shoulder really bad. In my opinion this kid stays hurt either on the field or off the field. True his uncle may have been tough, but that doesn’t necessarily mean he’s tough. He’s not ready for varsity football and if he’s in there he won’t last 3 games before being injured.
His dad told me about it last night. Think he's just a little banged up though thank God. No significant injury unless something changed since then.
If I remember correctly, Breathitt had a combined record of 17-3 in 1986 and 87; never played a playoff game either year.

Breathitt’s problems now are just a reflection of what has happened to most of E Ky.
I know first hand that the Holland kid is tough. If I remember correctly he finished a middleschool game with a broke arm vs Hazard when he was in 7th grade. Can't really argue much about his heart and grit. He has it! Definitely a little undersized right now but he will make a fine QB for the bobcats in years to come.
He definitely has the mechanics to be a good high school QB but I’m afraid he’s at least a couple years off. I think he’s a hold back also. So technically he should be a sophomore. What’s his size? 5’10” 135lbs? The weight is the problem. If he could bulk up to 160ish by next year that would benefit him and the team
(07-25-2024, 02:36 PM)Mountainparkway Wrote: Heard the hollan kid had a bike accident and hurt his shoulder really bad. In my opinion this kid stays hurt either on the field or off the field. True his uncle may have been tough, but that doesn’t necessarily mean he’s tough. He’s not ready for varsity football and if he’s in there he won’t last 3 games before being injured.
Heard broke arm in 7 th grade and oh yeah he played after and from what said on Facebook score td .You seem very jealous this kid is playing QB. So yeah he pretty tough and last year played two games with broken knuckle in playoffs of middle school. You sound pretty dumb say kid not tough . Will set records as freshman throwing for ton yards. No !!! But I think he be pretty good QB this year and only improve each year. You go on about not ready . Yeah he will have adjustment to make but kid works hard and I think going be dandy of QB.
(07-26-2024, 09:55 PM)Statebound19 Wrote:
Heard broke arm in 7 th grade and oh yeah he played after and from what said on Facebook score td .You seem very jealous this kid is playing QB. So yeah he pretty tough and last year played two games with broken knuckle in playoffs of middle school. You sound pretty dumb say kid not tough . Will set records as freshman throwing for ton yards. No !!! But I think he be pretty good QB this year and only improve each year. You go on about not ready . Yeah he will have adjustment to make but kid works hard and I think going be dandy of QB.
Please elaborate where I sound jealous. I said the kid has great mechanics and will be good. If me saying he’s to small and could use a few pounds before he gets crushed by some 250lb 18 year olds on Fridays sounds jealous then you are a snow flake that needs to grow a spine and set of balls. I’ve never in my life met a bunch of butt hurt whiners than breathitt fans or moms and dads when you critique their babies. Bahahahah carry on
I would throw Hollon out there day 1. Let him have his growing pains in 1st part of season while relying on the running game. Gibson is good runner and look for freshmen Eli Thomas at back as well. Kid is going to be a star. Breathitt's o line should be a strength which will give the kid a chance to develop. I would slowly give Hollon more responsibility as season went on. Nothing is more important than reps.
Holcomb can develop young QBs.
Not a bad idea wolf cat. This may be their only option. However, he needs to throw the ball away asap when the play breaks down. This isn’t middle school and he will get hurt. So if he starts this season and makes it thru with no serious injury then the next three should be spectacular as he has the makings of a great high school QB.
Hollan is a stud. He’s gonna be special next 4 years
(07-29-2024, 12:33 AM)Mountainparkway Wrote: Not a bad idea wolf cat. This may be their only option. However, he needs to throw the ball away asap when the play breaks down. This isn’t middle school and he will get hurt. So if he starts this season and makes it thru with no serious injury then the next three should be spectacular as he has the makings of a great high school QB.
I agree he needs to work on getting rid of the ball for sure. He has the talent and with Holcomb working with him daily he has the potential to do some great things.
I thought Breathitt looked pretty smooth on offense on Friday. Hard tell going against self. Hollon kid throwing ball well. Hit wr in stride on deep ball. He looked comfortable in pocket. I thought OL looked really good as well run blocking and pass blocking.