Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corbin 30 Lexington Catholic 10
(09-02-2023, 12:16 AM)Gold River Wrote:
(09-02-2023, 12:04 AM)HighViz Wrote: Boyle is another level fast than both teams that played tnight. Boyle don’t cramp or get tired either.  Boyle can’t block the smith kids on 3 out of 4 tries.  But Corbin can’t defend Quissenberry or Brown in the secondary.
If this is accurate what’s the odds on the site getting thread #413 on how long it’s been since Corbin won a title and how bad some of these old corbin guys high school bully sucks as a coach?
I don't know, Gold River, this team has senior leadership. Sure, it's imported, but if they win a title they will just slap a "Made in Corbin" tag on the trophy and most people will eventually forget where it came from. But if they come up short for the 41st consecutive time, then it will be the head coach's fault.
I was at the game
Corbin
Offense-9
Defense-8
Special teams- 9
(09-01-2023, 11:10 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(09-01-2023, 11:03 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: Congratulations Corbin!!
Bull, if you watched the game, could you give me a grade(1-10) on each phase. I listened to about three quarters but didn't get to watch.  The offense, especially passing game , seemed to be less spectacular than I was expecting. Is this a squad that looks like it could eventually hang with Boyle?  I won't see them until the FD game.

Offense:

Defense:

Special Teams:
Offense: Corbin came out in what I'll refer to as other packages, not the spread offense. Corbin looked conservative on the play calling and Lexington Catholic looked good on Pass coverage. Corbin began running the ball. A few times in the game, Corbin went to the spread like they did last season in that championship game and honestly looked great when Elam passed the ball. Lots of balls dropped but Spread is the way to go for Corbin. But honestly, after watching Boyle/LCA offense. Corbins offense wasn't explosive like last seasons. My Thoughts.  Corbin has got to air it out a little more and control the game with Elams arm. But the gameplan for last night looked to be a run plays from the QB, Bailey and motion guys. I'll also say, Lexington Catholics defense did a great job against Corbin. LC looked undersized and not the same team as last year.

Defense: The Twins honestly are better than what I heard. They are game changers. Its like going to Alaska without a rifle and a Grizzly walks up on you. You don't have a chance. Corbins defense shut out Lexington Catholics offense. There was some short passes, but nothing long and the QB was running for his life all night. I completly understand why. I will say the Smith Twins are the best defensive players I have every got to watch in person. Truly legit. They sacked the QB and he fumbled on about 3 or 4 plays. Then They are so fast if they miss you, you still aint out of the reach and they can run you down. But Corbin played 1 twin on the line and 1 twin off the line. LC took advantage of that and ran at the area where they wasn't and that was the middle of the field. One thing I noticed was LC quick snapped every play and ran every play quick. No time to waste when a tree is falling in your direction..

Special teams: Something I liked was when Corbin let Elam punt. Because the way they lined up, they have the option to pass or punt. This is dangerous for opposing teams and good for Corbin. But, Corbin went for it on every 4th down. I guess with how the defense was playing they could. But thats all we really got to see of special teams. Corbin had a few chances to kick a field goal and went for it instead. 

[Image: https://www.bing.com/th/id/OGC.ecaaaa215...2fwB3Ig%3d]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bull got out!'s post:
  • Cowboy42
Thanks, Bull, great analysis. 

Btw,  I love the way you analyze football. It's not all just 3-4 , modified 4-4, 3-5, 8 men in the box, 44 double stack, man-zone, seal the edge, drop 4 in coverage..... and all that football jargon bullsh!t. It's "you're alone in the Alaskan wilderness without a gun and two grizzley bears jump yo' ass."
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • Bull got out!
(09-02-2023, 12:04 AM)HighViz Wrote: Boyle is another level fast than both teams that played tnight. Boyle don’t cramp or get tired either.  Boyle can’t block the smith kids on 3 out of 4 tries.  But Corbin can’t defend Quissenberry or Brown in the secondary.

if Boyle cant block the twins, Will the QB be able to pass the ball effectively to Q and B? Can Corbin apply pressure on the QB and disrupt that high power offense? I hope they've changed something with the coaching, because usually Boyle offense puts on a clinic against the Corbin defensive guru.
(09-02-2023, 11:04 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: Thanks, Bull, great analysis. 

Btw,  I love the way you analyze football. It's not all just 3-4 , modified 4-4, 3-5, 8 men in the box, 44 double stack, man-zone, seal the edge, drop 4 in coverage..... and all that football jargon bullsh!t. It's "you're alone in the Alaskan wilderness without a gun and two grizzley bears jump yo' ass."

In a world where common sense ain't so common, Bull is loaded with it. He's very intelligent and an expert at studying film and habits.
[-] The following 1 user Likes pjdoug's post:
  • Bull got out!
(09-02-2023, 08:31 AM)know1 Wrote:
If this is accurate what’s the odds on the site getting thread #413 on how long it’s been since Corbin won a title and how bad some of these old corbin guys high school bully sucks as a coach?

They'll post that either way. They can barely go a day without complaining about the coach.

You and Luke sound like bitter coaches at Corbin. I hope you're able to console each other.
(09-02-2023, 05:12 AM)KColley Wrote: If I had a bag of popcorn for every Corbin thread that has been entertaining my house would be full of kernels.

And the Corbin house is full of Colonels.

They'll post that either way. They can barely go a day without complaining about the coach.
And you can't go a day without complaining about Corbin fans Smile
(09-02-2023, 11:22 AM)pjdoug Wrote:

You and Luke sound like bitter coaches at Corbin. I hope you're able to console each other.
And you sound like a Corbin toady.
(09-02-2023, 12:17 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:

Thank you, but you are just teasing me. No more foreplay. Get to the main act . Do we have enough to hang with Boyle, or is there simply not enough on defense to hold them under 35?

About as good as JC whining about getting their asses handed to them when they visit the new $9.3 million dollar Dave Cox & Tim Short Auto Mall Wonderplex on the banks of the historic and scenic Lynn Camp creek.

LOL!
(09-02-2023, 11:28 AM)Lucas Wrote:

I'm a Colonel until the end Smile Go make a few more aliases up, Waterboy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes pjdoug's post:
  • Old School Hound
(09-02-2023, 11:31 AM)pjdoug Wrote:
(09-02-2023, 12:16 AM)Gold River Wrote: If this is accurate what’s the odds on the site getting thread #413 on how long it’s been since Corbin won a title and how bad some of these old corbin guys high school bully sucks as a coach?

pjToady Big Grin Yeah, the shoe fits. Own it. Wear it.
(09-02-2023, 11:12 AM)pjdoug Wrote:

if Boyle cant block the twins, Will the QB be able to pass the ball effectively to Q and B? Can Corbin apply pressure on the QB and disrupt that high power offense? I hope they've changed something with the coaching, because usually Boyle offense puts on a clinic against the Corbin defensive guru.

Thank you, Cousin! Thank you! Thank you!   This is the question I'm trying to get all these guys to answer. So far, it's crickets. I 'm less concerned about how Corbin is gonna manhandle pissy pants teams like Pulaski and Johnson Central but can they defend Boyle's passing game. That's what this damn 100th season of Redhound football is gonna come down to. 
Corbin is gonna meet Boyle, not at Kroger Field but in the 3rd round of the playoffs.  Yes, the twins are good. Damn good!!!! But Haddix is damn good. I could see him scheming to mitigate the twins effectiveness as much as he can and then feast upon the Hounds secondary. That's how it always seems to play out. Hence, 40 years in the abyss of championship desolation.

Someone answer the question. Can the two Wolverines on Corbin's defense shut down Boyle's speed merchants and deep passing game? And if the twins make deep passes difficult, does Corbin have the athletes and the tacklers to handle Q and B in the open field on shorter routes?
  • Cowboy42

From what I seen the playcalling was off a bit and offense looked different than what I’m used to seeing with Elams offense. The defense looked good and the twins is definitely a game changer on defense because without the twins we lose or it’s a close game. Either way we’re along way from Haddix’s high speed offense. Frederick Douglass will be the game that the hounds get better.
(09-02-2023, 11:14 AM)pjdoug Wrote:

In a world where common sense ain't so common, Bull is loaded with it. He's very intelligent and an expert at studying film and habits.
I absolutely agree. That's why I value his opinion. I wish he were our defensive guru. I really do.

Ha ha! ... I was thinking the exact same thing!!!

(09-02-2023, 11:52 AM)Cowboy42 Wrote:

From what I seen the playcalling was off a bit and offense looked different than what I’m used to seeing with Elams offense. The defense looked good and the twins is definitely a game changer on defense because without the twins we lose or it’s a close game. Either way we’re along way from Haddix’s high speed offense. Frederick Douglass will be the game that the hounds get better.

I have a sneaky suspicion that Elam stayed vanilla for a reason last night. I don't think Corbin wanted to show all their cards last night with Douglass coming to town in two weeks to christen Dave's new Wonderplex on the banks of Lynn Camp Creek. They were keeping things close to the vest because they knew they could handle Lex Cath easily without opening up the playbook. The play calling was pretty bad, but maybe it was bad for a reason. That reason may be revealed two weeks from now when Freddy comes a callin' and finds a nightmare on Barbourville Street.

Look for a more flavorful playbook in two weeks.

(09-02-2023, 11:52 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:

I absolutely agree. That's why I value his opinion. I wish he were our defensive guru. I really do.

I have a sneaky suspicion that Elam stayed vanilla for a reason last night. I don't think Corbin wanted to show all their cards last night with Douglass coming to town in two weeks to christen Dave's new Wonderplex on the banks of Lynn Camp Creek. They were keeping things close to the vest because they knew they could handle Lex Cath easily without opening up the playbook. The play calling was pretty bad, but maybe it was bad for a reason. That reason may be revealed two weeks from now when Freddy comes a callin' and finds himself a nightmare on Barbourville Street.

(09-02-2023, 11:50 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:

Thank you, Cousin! Thank you! Thank you!   This is the question I'm trying to get all these guys to answer. So far, it's crickets. I 'm less concerned about how Corbin is gonna manhandle pissy pants teams like Pulaski and Johnson Central but can they defend Boyle's passing game. That's what this damn 100th season of Redhound football is gonna come down to. 
Corbin is gonna meet Boyle, not at Kroger Field but in the 3rd round of the playoffs.  Yes, the twins are good. Damn good!!!! But Haddix is damn good. I could see him scheming to mitigate the twins effectiveness as much as he can and then feast upon the Hounds secondary. That's how it always seems to play out. Hence, 40 years in the abyss of championship desolation.

Someone answer the question. Can the two Wolverines on Corbin's defense shut down Boyle's speed merchants and deep passing game? And if the twins make deep passes difficult, does Corbin have the athletes and the tacklers to handle Q and B in the open field on shorter routes?

Corbin has the talent to win, but if you can't find a defensive mastermind to get inside the head of Haddix, and match wits with him, He will defeat your team again. The coaches could seriously learn a lot from Bull. They need to study more film and habits and get prepared ahead of time. An old redhound could learn new tricks if he would stop being hard headed.
(09-02-2023, 11:33 AM)Lucas Wrote:
(09-02-2023, 11:31 AM)pjdoug Wrote:
(09-02-2023, 08:31 AM)know1 Wrote: They'll post that either way. They can barely go a day without complaining about the coach.

pjToady Big Grin Yeah, the shoe fits. Own it. Wear it.

Sounds like something a little kid would say.

I have a sneaky suspicion that Elam stayed vanilla for a reason last night. I don't think Corbin wanted to show all their cards last night with Douglass coming to town in two weeks to christen Dave's new Wonderplex on the banks of Lynn Camp Creek. They were keeping things close to the vest because they knew they could handle Lex Cath easily without opening up the playbook. The play calling was pretty bad, but maybe it was bad for a reason. That reason may be revealed two weeks from now when Freddy comes a callin' and finds a nightmare on Barbourville Street.

(09-02-2023, 12:16 AM)Gold River Wrote: If this is accurate what’s the odds on the site getting thread #413 on how long it’s been since Corbin won a title and how bad some of these old corbin guys high school bully sucks as a coach?

I have a sneaky suspicion that Elam stayed vanilla for a reason last night. I don't think Corbin wanted to show all their cards last night with Douglass coming to town in two weeks to christen Dave's new Wonderplex on the banks of Lynn Camp Creek. They were keeping things close to the vest because they knew they could handle Lex Cath easily without opening up the playbook. The play calling was pretty bad, but maybe it was bad for a reason. That reason may be revealed two weeks from now when Freddy comes a callin' and finds himself a nightmare on Barbourville Street.

I don't think the Corbin offense has anything to worry about with Elam calling  the plays, and the defense has the potential to be dominant.
(09-02-2023, 12:17 PM)pjdoug Wrote:

Corbin has the talent to win, but if you can't find a defensive mastermind to get inside the head of Haddix, and match wits with him, He will defeat your team again. The coaches could seriously learn a lot from Bull. They need to study more film and habits and get prepared ahead of time. An old redhound could learn new tricks if he would stop being hard headed.
Boy, truer words never spoken, imo !!!  But who is that mastermind to match wits with Haddix. They are not gonna hire Bull. They are gonna go with what they have. And what they have is very stubborn and doesn't make adjustments on the fly. That's why I am not hopeful when we meet Boyle 11 weeks from now.
Honestly I think the key to beating a team like haddix’s, outside if talent is mixed looks. Can line up a base D the whole game and just switch coverages between man and 3. You gotta change the front. Disguise it. Almost like we did in 2018 against boyle. Have 6 on the line and drop some back, then blitz. Make it hard to know what’s coming. With that and jerrod smith. That could be a recipe for disaster. But when they know that 4 is coming, and it’s gonna be a man or the same zone. It’s easy to pick apart. But what do I know. I don’t get paid 1,000s and watch the same film. I was lucky to beat my kids in madden haha
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hound05's post:
  • Bull got out!
IMO No they won’t be able to handle Boyle’s speed and don’t worry about Boyle’s O-line blocking the twins they’ll block them enough to get the job done and if you thought Boyle had good speed last year it’s on a entirely different level this year hope that answers your question Old School.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jack Lambert's post:
  • Hound05
(09-02-2023, 02:21 PM)Jack Lambert Wrote: IMO No they won’t be able to handle Boyle’s speed and don’t worry about Boyle’s O-line blocking the twins they’ll  block them enough to get the job done and if you thought Boyle had good speed last year it’s on a entirely different level this year hope that answers your question Old School.

(09-02-2023, 03:06 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(09-02-2023, 02:21 PM)Jack Lambert Wrote: IMO No they won’t be able to handle Boyle’s speed and don’t worry about Boyle’s O-line blocking the twins they’ll  block them enough to get the job done and if you thought Boyle had good speed last year it’s on a entirely different level this year hope that answers your question Old School.

Thank you for your op-ed , but I wasn't asking you. You've never thought anyone could stop Boyle, even when Tommy shut them out five years ago. lol   Respectfully, I submit to you the opinion that you don't know squat about Corbin and I doubt you study game film for hours on both Corbin and Boyle and their opponents like Bull does. He's a football professor and I am patiently waiting for my professor to tell me if Corbin has the athletes to stop Boyle's passing game and if he thinks Corbin's brain trusts on the sidelines will be willing and able to disguise their defenses enough to confuse Haddix and his scheming on offense.   Smile
(09-02-2023, 11:50 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:

(09-02-2023, 03:06 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:

Thank you for your op-ed , but I wasn't asking you. You've never thought anyone could stop Boyle, even when Tommy shut them out five years ago. lol   Respectfully, I submit to you the opinion that you don't know squat about Corbin and I doubt you study game film for hours on both Corbin and Boyle and their opponents like Bull does. He's a football professor and I am patiently waiting for my professor to tell me if Corbin has the athletes to stop Boyle's passing game and if he thinks Corbin's brain trusts on the sidelines will be willing and able to disguise their defenses enough to confuse Haddix and his scheming on offense.   :)

Fair enough for letting me be entitled to my opinion and I agree with you about Bull he knows football and I respect his opinion probably more than anyone on BGR and I’m looking forward to a Boyle and Corbin rematch later this season, good luck to you and your Hounds.
  • Bull got out!
(09-02-2023, 03:16 PM)Jack Lambert Wrote:

Thank you for your op-ed , but I wasn't asking you. You've never thought anyone could stop Boyle, even when Tommy shut them out five years ago. lol   Respectfully, I submit to you the opinion that you don't know squat about Corbin and I doubt you study game film for hours on both Corbin and Boyle and their opponents like Bull does. He's a football professor and I am patiently waiting for my professor to tell me if Corbin has the athletes to stop Boyle's passing game and if he thinks Corbin's brain trusts on the sidelines will be willing and able to disguise their defenses enough to confuse Haddix and his scheming on offense.   Smile

Fair enough for letting me be entitled to my opinion and I agree with you about Bull he knows football and I respect his opinion probably more than anyone on BGR and I’m looking forward to a Boyle and Corbin rematch later this season, good luck to you and your Hounds.

You are absolutely entitled to your opinion and my early thoughts as just a casual observer(I'm no film watcher) is to agree with you. I think Haddix' rabbits run amok on Tommy's D.  But I want to hear it from the Bull's mouth so that I can make other plans on Friday, November 17.  If Bull agrees with you and thinks that there is no way that Corbin can stop Boyle's passing attack, then why should I even make the trip over to Danville(or, for that matter, Campbell Field)?
  • Jack Lambert

Boyle 42 Corbin 28 Final. Best answer I got for you and I watched every down of Hughes and Catholic. However, if the twins aren’t here with the talent Haddix currently has it would be 60 plus to 32. Gotta be the most loaded team I’ve ever seen put together in every position. The sad part for the Hounds is it don’t get easier next year either as Boyle returns 90% of what they currently have. There’s Boyle then there’s everyone else in 4A.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cowboy42's post:
  • Jack Lambert
(09-02-2023, 03:58 PM)Cowboy42 Wrote:

Boyle 42 Corbin 28 Final. Best answer I got for you and I watched every down of Hughes and Catholic. However, if the twins aren’t here with the talent Haddix currently has it would be 60 plus to 32. Gotta be the most loaded team I’ve ever seen put together in every position. The sad part for the Hounds is it don’t get easier next year either as Boyle returns 90% of what they currently have. There’s Boyle then there’s everyone else in 4A.

Thank you. I appreciate yours and Jack's opinion.  Bull is remaining eerily silent and I can only assume that means he is reluctant to drop the bomb on me--- that November 17 is gonna be another dark day in the history of Corbin football.

Where is Corbin lacking on D to be able to hang with Boyle? Just not enough speed?  Is Corbin's offense not capable of matching scores with Boyle.  I watched the LCA game. If LCA gets those few inches on fourth and two, they go down and win that game, imo.  Do you think LCA is better than Corbin? I did not see a Boyle County team that was invincible against LCA.
(09-02-2023, 04:13 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:

Thank you. I appreciate yours and Jack's opinion.  Bull is remaining eerily silent and I can only assume that means he is reluctant to drop the bomb on me--- that November 17 is gonna be another dark day in the history of Corbin football.

Where is Corbin lacking on D to be able to hang with Boyle? Just not enough speed?  Is Corbin's offense not capable of matching scores with Boyle.  I watched the LCA game. If LCA gets those few inches on fourth and two, they go down and win that game, imo.  Do you think LCA is better than Corbin? I did not see a Boyle County team that was invincible against LCA.

The Boyle defense you saw against LCA will look entirely different in November and the speed they have on offense is playing defense as well and no disrespect to Corbin or anyone else on Boyle’s schedule but LCA will have the best offense that Boyle will see all season and in saying this I’m sure Corbin will be a better team in November as well.
  • Iggyfan
(09-02-2023, 04:55 PM)Jack Lambert Wrote:
(09-02-2023, 04:13 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(09-02-2023, 11:12 AM)pjdoug Wrote: if Boyle cant block the twins, Will the QB be able to pass the ball effectively to Q and B? Can Corbin apply pressure on the QB and disrupt that high power offense? I hope they've changed something with the coaching, because usually Boyle offense puts on a clinic against the Corbin defensive guru.

(09-02-2023, 11:12 AM)pjdoug Wrote: if Boyle cant block the twins, Will the QB be able to pass the ball effectively to Q and B? Can Corbin apply pressure on the QB and disrupt that high power offense? I hope they've changed something with the coaching, because usually Boyle offense puts on a clinic against the Corbin defensive guru.

The Boyle defense you saw against LCA will look entirely different in November and the speed they have on offense is playing defense as well and no disrespect to Corbin or anyone else on Boyle’s schedule but LCA will have the best offense that Boyle will see all season and in saying this I’m sure Corbin will be a better team in November as well.

I definitely give the edge to Boyle right now. I'm sure both the Hounds and Rebels will be much better later in the season. As I've said many times, though, I think the coaching difference is the one obstacle the Hounds will find hardest to overcome. I like Boyle by a couple of scores at this point but things can change. Sometimes a couple of key injuries can change the calculus quite a bit. I hope both teams are undefeated if, and when, they meet.
  • Jack Lambert
If Boyle and Corbin played today, Corbin may win. but the BC team that takes the field in week 10, will be so much better than the team that took the field this past Friday. Corbin has not shown that it can elevate its game as the season progresses.

I hate to say it, but NEVER bet against BC once the playoff bell rings.