Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 5 players in the 14th
I agree with MtN Parkway. Really good review. Day from Perry would be on my list. He’s the guy everyone loves to hate. Knight is probably as good as Collins and Ritchie. Just didn’t get a lot of PT because he was on a lot better team. He’d probably had better stats than both them if he’d got the minutes they did.
Thanks guys. Now of course this is just my pre-season rankings. Lord knows its gonna shape up different come mid season. I love seeing some kids come out of no where and impress a lot of people.
I do not know how you all cannot say Sperry is the best basketball player in the region. He is legit the only player that has D1 offers and is only a sophomore. The kid is 6'3, can put his elbow in the rim and no one can stay in front of him. What makes RYdge so much better than Sperry? And for collins, he is 6'7, rim protector that no one scores on. He guards 1-5.
Lol. Give me some of that Kool-Aid Cleveland. Them boys got scored on all year last year. Nothing is gonna change. Sperry gonna fool around and get hurt playing football if he ain’t careful. Collins hasn’t kept anyone out of the paint that I know of. Hoskins is anchor of Breathitt.
(09-29-2022, 10:23 AM)clevland Wrote: I do not know how you all cannot say Sperry is the best basketball player in the region. He is legit the only player that has D1 offers and is only a sophomore. The kid is 6'3, can put his elbow in the rim and no one can stay in front of him. What makes RYdge so much better than Sperry? And for collins, he is 6'7, rim protector that no one scores on. He guards 1-5.
PCC seemed to score on him and the rest of the team last year, in a dominating fashion I might add ..... or did you forget about PCC hoisting the trophy in Breathitt's gym last year?
Last year was last year and Perry gets to enjoy it for a while longer. But, last year was an anomaly. What would Perry have been without two repeat seniors in McKenzie and Brock thanks to covid law and POY transfer from Estill? Don't get me wrong, all great players and everything legit. Could have been a different year for Perry though. And Ridge is great. He's the closest thing to an old school point guard as there is in the region. But comparing him and Sperry doesn't work. Both approach the game totally different. I personally love the fast pace game that Sperry brings. Someone said BB doesn't play the up and down AAU style game. I've watched him for years and he plays to his strength. This team is athletic and fast and that's what we'll see I'm guessing. And Breathitt's bench will surprise some folks I think. Should be an exciting season.
I hope you are right Slim One. Hope Collins and Sperry dominate. I think Knight kid could done real well if he’d got to play more last year. He’s a better ball player than the two that graduated. The other two had their strengths and played to them. Landon was really good and helped them a lot.
(09-29-2022, 02:44 PM)Bulldogs4Ever Wrote: I hope you are right Slim One.  Hope Collins and Sperry dominate.  I think Knight kid could done real well if he’d got to play more last year.  He’s a better ball player than the two that graduated.  The other two had their strengths and played to them.  Landon was really good and helped them a lot.
I think Napier and Brock made it go. McKenzie deciding to get in shape and play hard didn't hurt anything either.
Knight will be good. I know he went through a frustrating period last year so I'm sure he'll have something to prove. 
I don't think anyone will dominate. Perry, Breathitt and Letcher will be top tier with Hazard close behind. Wolfe will be decent. Thought Thompson was their best player last year. Kid from Leslie is a really good player but not sure he'll have the supporting cast. But, John's a good coach so we'll see. Estill will win a lot of games, Knott a few but Powell maybe not so much.
Collins and sperry used the extra Covid year. Sperry is a 17 year old sophomore. I was a 17 year old senior back when I played and 90 percent of the players were 17 year old seniors back then. Bellamy, combs, Collins, Hoskins all should have graduated last year. They are either hold backs or Covid hold backs. Sperry prob should be a senior. This group of players could easily get aarp if they applied. With that being said do I think they get it done this year? No! Like I’ve said all last year these kids are soft and don’t know how to win the big games when a team punches them in the mouth. Breathitt will win the All A and they better enjoy that because they won’t make it to rupp. Perry central repeats. In my opinion if sperry is a true legit D-1 player then breathitt should be playing at rupp in march. It’s not happening. Get what im saying
(09-29-2022, 09:39 PM)Mountainparkway Wrote: Collins and sperry used the extra Covid year. Sperry is a 17 year old sophomore. I was a 17 year old senior back when I played and 90 percent of the players were 17 year old seniors back then. Bellamy, combs, Collins, Hoskins all should have graduated last year. They are either hold backs or Covid hold backs. Sperry prob should be a senior. This group of players could easily get aarp if they applied. With that being said do I think they get it done this year? No! Like I’ve said all last year these kids are soft and don’t know how to win the big games when a team punches them in the mouth. Breathitt will win the All A and they better enjoy that because they won’t make it to rupp. Perry central repeats. In my opinion if sperry is a true legit D-1 player then breathitt should be playing at rupp in march. It’s not happening. Get what im saying
I think so. You're an unhappy has been who never was?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Slim one's post:
  • Mountain Monster
I’m sorry I may cut deep but whats false about the post?

Oh I’m sorry are u and mount monster wanting to hear, this year breathitt roles. Big hosky dominates and does whatever the team needs. Sperry is a man among boys nobody can stop him and no one can score on him. Bellamy’s the best point guard/shooter in the state. Is this what u boys want to hear cause you’re not happy unless someone is praising them boys all the time. They haven’t shown crap yet and don’t expect me to get on the band wagon I’ve watched these boys their entire Iives and they continue to fold under pressure and quit when faced with adversity. No way can they beat Perry at Perry in the 14th region tourney in that atmosphere
(09-29-2022, 11:37 PM)Mountainparkway Wrote: I’m sorry I may cut deep but whats false about the post?

Oh I’m sorry are u and mount monster wanting to hear, this year breathitt roles. Big hosky dominates and does whatever the team needs. Sperry is a man among boys nobody can stop him and no one can score on him. Bellamy’s the best point guard/shooter in the state. Is this what u boys want to hear cause you’re not happy unless someone is praising them boys all the time. They haven’t shown crap yet and don’t expect me to get on the band wagon I’ve watched these boys their entire Iives and they continue to fold under pressure and quit when faced with adversity. No way can they beat Perry at Perry in the 14th region tourney in that atmosphere
Na, I don't think anyone would welcome your praise or support nor let you on the wagon. You just continue to embarrass yourself. Breathitt will have a good competitive team and I'm sure your Perry Central will also. But you really don't have to disparage Breathitt's kids to build yours up. Like saying Sperry isn't legitimate D1? How silly to purport that you know more then coaches at Morehead, Eastern, Cal State and Radford, all D1 schools that have offered. As far as Bryce goes? You and Perry have no one that can go against him this year. And Bellamy is far and away the best 3 point shooter in this region. Stats don't lie. You're kinda sad.
[-] The following 2 users Like Slim one's post:
  • Mountain Monster, Nobull Sports
Bhs has a D-1 prospect. A player no one can contain. Best shooter in the region, and a 6’8 four year starter. Why should they even have the regional tourney boys. Just send the trophy down 15 30 miles and give it to them.
Hoskins and Sperry haven’t survived football season yet. Lot of football left.
If you tired of being a water boy at Breathitt they may need one up on the hill or maybe Booneville
(09-29-2022, 09:39 PM)Mountainparkway Wrote: Collins and sperry used the extra Covid year. Sperry is a 17 year old sophomore. I was a 17 year old senior back when I played and 90 percent of the players were 17 year old seniors back then. Bellamy, combs, Collins, Hoskins all should have graduated last year. They are either hold backs or Covid hold backs. Sperry prob should be a senior. This group of players could easily get aarp if they applied. With that being said do I think they get it done this year? No! Like I’ve said all last year these kids are soft and don’t know how to win the big games when a team punches them in the mouth. Breathitt will win the All A and they better enjoy that because they won’t make it to rupp. Perry central repeats. In my opinion if sperry is a true legit D-1 player then breathitt should be playing at rupp in march. It’s not happening. Get what im saying

I don't care who wins the 14th, even though I would pick Breathitt. I saw Sperry two years ago and it was clear he was a special/unique athlete for the mountains.
How many players did Perry have take a covid year after struggling in 2021 - at least three, I think.
Neutral observer here. I’ve seen most players in the 14th at least a time or two and many I’ve seen several times, and Sperry is the most talented I’ve seen.
Is he the most talented because he is the best dunker HCS? He is the most athletic kid for sure. Best basketball player? I dont think he shoot’s well enough nor does he distribute the ball to his team mates very well. Not a real good ball handler either. I think Beverly at Perry has more value to his team than Sperry does to Breathitt. Just my opinion. Sperry has a very high ceiling but if he really wants to excel, he better hang up those shoulder pads.
The post asks who’s the top 5 players in the 14th.
I may be wrong but as far as I know, only 1 has multiple D1 offers. So, seems to me like college scouts believe Austin Sperry is the best player in the 14th.
Beverly
Sperry
Hensley
Collins
Thompson

That is your 5 best in the 14th then there are a few others right behind them…Hazell, Johnson, Watterson, Benton, Day, Nichols. Probably forgot to mention someone.
College scouts recruit ATHLETES more than they do Baskeball players. Sophomores don’t sign the paperwork. So let’s see how things go the next two years. If I was Sperry I’d go to a big school or a prep school. Hope he makes it to the NBA.
Sometimes there may be a difference between the best player and the best college prospect, especially when the prospect may be a younger kid with huge potential and the other player is older and not as athletic but is very good in his role and what he provides for the team.
I'd still go with Sperry from what I've seen. I'm sure Beverly does more to involve everyone else since that is his role. I don't think Sperry is that kind of player.

(10-06-2022, 11:08 AM)DukeBoy Wrote: College scouts recruit ATHLETES more than they do Baskeball players. Sophomores don’t sign the paperwork. So let’s see how things go the next two years. If I was Sperry I’d go to a big school or a prep school. Hope he makes it to the NBA.

I think you'd just like to get him out of the 14th :)
He can make it to college just fine where he's at right now. It's obvious the college coaches have found him, just like they did Sheppard at North and Noah in Harlan County.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HCS's post:
  • LOOKAYANNER
Wolfeman you need change your name to bobcatman you've only know what you hear you off Track bad.

If Big Turner could just learn to make a layup for Breathitt he might get the ball instead of a water bucket.
HCS I could care less where Sperry goes. He is a nice athletic kid. Perry will beat him the next three years. I’d say he will be at Perry before it’s all said and done.
(10-06-2022, 11:08 AM)DukeBoy Wrote: College scouts recruit ATHLETES more than they do Baskeball players.  Sophomores don’t sign the paperwork.  So let’s see how things go the next two years.  If I was Sperry  I’d go to a big school or a prep school.  Hope he makes it to the NBA.
Yeah, college coaches recruit athletes because they are the best basketball players. Lol 
You act as though Sperry hasn’t never even dribbled a ball. Beverly will make a nice player for maybe Asbury College. Sperry will go D1. That’s just the way it is, Sperry is better.
You wouldn’t know what an athlete was because we have never had any in this region in forever. How many are in the NBA, NFL, MLB or any other professional sports organizations making a living playing sports. Jaysean Paige and Justin Johnson are not from the 14th Region. Any kid that can get a dunk on a fast break is considered a High End D1 athlete in then 14th region by all the experts. I’d take Beverly over Sperry any day of the week. Winners Win.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DukeBoy's post:
  • WaterBoy15thregion
(10-07-2022, 08:45 AM)DukeBoy Wrote: You wouldn’t know what an athlete was because we have never had any in this region in forever.  How many are in the NBA, NFL, MLB or any other professional sports organizations making a living playing sports.  Jaysean Paige and Justin Johnson are not from the 14th Region.  Any kid that can get a dunk on a fast break is considered a High End D1 athlete in then 14th region by all the experts.  I’d take Beverly over Sperry any day of the week.

Winners Win.
Well I guess you just proved Sperry is the best player, because if he works hard, he prob could be playing in the NBA some day. The potential is there.
1. Sperry
2. Collins
3. Luke Bellamy
4. Ridge Beverly
5. Benton
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nobull Sports's post:
  • Slim one
(10-07-2022, 08:45 AM)DukeBoy Wrote: You wouldn’t know what an athlete was because we have never had any in this region in forever.  How many are in the NBA, NFL, MLB or any other professional sports organizations making a living playing sports.  Jaysean Paige and Justin Johnson are not from the 14th Region.  Any kid that can get a dunk on a fast break is considered a High End D1 athlete in then 14th region by all the experts.  I’d take Beverly over Sperry any day of the week.  Winners Win.
Hum, you've established that college scouts are clueless but how can we shuck off Sperry being voted 2nd team all state last year as a freshman? He got good exposure at the all A but didn't Perry play on the biggest stage of all at Rupp?
Let’s go Bobcats!!!!! Self proclaimed preseason 14th Region Champs the past 20 years.

Is the All State teams voted on by coaches now instead of the Sports Writers?