Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Schools Most Historic Football Moment
Since Dawg Family has the Breathitt County game for Lawrence County, I can remember another game that always comes to mind.

The year was 1991, Lawrence County was coming off an undefeated season of 11-0 but did not compete in the district that year. But in '91 they did and ended up 6-4 in the regular season and finished 3rd in the district behind Russell and Fleming Co. and Mason Co. finished 4th. Anyway in the regular season Russell completely destoryed LC.
Then after this district swept the other district in the first round it put LC against Russell in Round Two and Lawrence County scoring a TD in the second OT by Eric Cantrell to beat the Red Devils. IMO the biggest victory for LC because that victory served noticed that LC was starting a powerhouse.
For Pikeville it would have to be the 1989 state title game when they became the first team in the state to win 3 straight championships.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:For Pikeville it would have to be the 1989 state title game when they became the first team in the state to win 3 straight championships.

The Glory Days....who could forget!
They are actually honoring the players and coaches from all three teams this Friday at the Prestonsburg game. I know my father will be attending.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:I'd probably add the Belfry/Highlands state semi game...I believe it was '85....complete domination of Highlands...at Highlands....It was brutally cold that night.

1986---The famous Mud Bowl--Belfry vs. Danville --state semi game. Danville ranked #1 in state...All-State running back Jimmy Baughman....they had just beaten Highlands the week before...but rolled out of Death Valley with a 7-6 defeat.

You mean the infamous Mud Bowl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dont forget Lc also ended Breathitt 42 game win streak in the regional finals in 97
for powell county, i think it has to be when ryan stewart scored the last second touchdown against west carter. it was a couple years back. that was the first win over west carter in school history. plus we were big underdogs in that game.
In WV, where I played, It was winning our first state title in 95'.
In Powell Co., It's going 5-5....ridiculous I know!
blitz43 Wrote:In WV, where I played, It was winning our first state title in 95'.
In Powell Co., It's going 5-5....ridiculous I know!

Are you from Gilbert, WV?
for letcher central i say going into the tiger den against clay as a 22point underdog and comin away with a win 40-37
RedRaiderNation Wrote:Since Dawg Family has the Breathitt County game for Lawrence County, I can remember another game that always comes to mind.

The year was 1991, Lawrence County was coming off an undefeated season of 11-0 but did not compete in the district that year. But in '91 they did and ended up 6-4 in the regular season and finished 3rd in the district behind Russell and Fleming Co. and Mason Co. finished 4th. Anyway in the regular season Russell completely destoryed LC.
Then after this district swept the other district in the first round it put LC against Russell in Round Two and Lawrence County scoring a TD in the second OT by Eric Cantrell to beat the Red Devils. IMO the biggest victory for LC because that victory served noticed that LC was starting a powerhouse.
I thought of that game but going into it I felt like we could play with Russell and I just had a feeling that we would play them close. But the Breathitt game I knew that some thing special would have to happen and even then I really doughted we could pull it off but it was meant to be because I think we got more rain that day then we had all summer and that played right into LC great running game . I knew it would be hard for Breathitt to catch a wet ball and it was for them but I hadn't heard anything about thier running game but they showed that night that they had a pretty good one also. I believe the rain made the differance in the game because both of these teams played there hearts out and it just happened that LC came out on top on that special night in Louisa.
Pond Creek Wrote:Without a doubt..........12/5/03!!!! I still get teary eyed and chills at the same time just thinking about it. I'm in my office now looking at the poster on my wall of David with his arms out standing in the end zone. STATE CHAMPIONS BABY!!!!

Oh yeah....State Champions Back to Back!!!
[Image: http://www.russell-ind.k12.ky.us/reddevi...go2007.gif]
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "