Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most Underrated & Overrated team
blackcat Wrote:Underrated - Prestonsburg, Belfry
Overrated - Sheldon Clark, Hazard

OK this is really funny
Belfry_99 Wrote:Belfry is not on a high horse, they are just doing what they do best and thats take care of what they need to. Belfry plays with emotion and does it in a way that it is productive, not counter productive (see Pikeville) If you think they are overrated or underrated thats your opinion, the games are played on the field and all I know is that 2 state championships, and 2 state semi-final appearances in the past 4 years, doesn't mean they are on a high horse, it means they are successful. Period.
I never said that Belfry was overrated, I was just commenting on what 3sportsStud said. Belfry is very good but I hate it when people are arrogant enough to say that Belfry will get no competition from everybody except JC, which is, IMO, completely wrong.
I just cant see Hazard being overrated. Remember they are a single A school and competing at this level isnt the same as other classes, thus they will be able to make some serious noise come playoff time in this class. They are a little small but they are extremely talented. I would actually have them as underrated at this time because there are very few who seem to think they can compete with the upper echelon teams in single A.

The team I see as overrated is the Breathitt Co. Bobcats. Coming off some subpar seasons everyone seemed to think they were on the right track but a win over Prestonsburg just doesnt change my mind, albeit P-burg is on the rise. Supposedly very talented but none proven. A great coach but one who seems to struggle when he isnt the clear cut favorite.
I for one see this Pirate team as good as a long time. I have talked to several non Belfry fans, and at this point they might not have the talent in the backfield as David and Doug but they arent bad, but at every other aspect they are as good as they have been in a while.
Im telling you this team for Belfry is special.
wooderson Wrote:I just cant see Hazard being overrated. Remember they are a single A school and competing at this level isnt the same as other classes, thus they will be able to make some serious noise come playoff time in this class. They are a little small but they are extremely talented. I would actually have them as underrated at this time because there are very few who seem to think they can compete with the upper echelon teams in single A.

The team I see as overrated is the Breathitt Co. Bobcats. Coming off some subpar seasons everyone seemed to think they were on the right track but a win over Prestonsburg just doesnt change my mind, albeit P-burg is on the rise. Supposedly very talented but none proven. A great coach but one who seems to struggle when he isnt the clear cut favorite.

Good post......:rockon:
Panther Thunder Wrote:I'm not disagreeing with you, but what percentages would you give in that matchups all things being the same as they are now?

With the game at Belfry, I would probably say 70% chance Pirates will win.

This is not a knock on Pikeville. Again, they would beat most other area teams easily. It's just you are talking about one of the better 1A teams in the state versus possibly the best team in 3A.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cards09 Wrote:OK this is really funny

See how hard im laughing --> Smile
Underrated - Prestonsburg
Overrated - Sheldon Clark
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KENTUCKY WILDCATS
blackcat Wrote:Underrated - Prestonsburg, Belfry
Overrated - Sheldon Clark, Hazard

Overrated - Prestonsburg. They haven't done anything in forever and their fans still gripe about no respect. Prestonsburg will bow out early once again in the playoffs, and then their fans will be whining that their basketball team gets no respect. Wink
well now i think jackson county is undrated i mean we prove ourselves and people still put us down. but i mean it dont matter what u all say we will play to our fullest and thats all we can do but be asured that we wont lay down and take it on the feild will play with heart not with pride but heart.

and the most overated team is north laurell i mean the are a big team but i think there season last year was 3-7 so yeah a lil too much credit there i think
jetpilot Wrote:Overrated - Prestonsburg. They haven't done anything in forever and their fans still gripe about no respect. Prestonsburg will bow out early once again in the playoffs, and then their fans will be whining that their basketball team gets no respect. Wink

Thats because they lost to Belfry or Middlesboro each season in the playoffs. Those two were some of the best teams in recent mountain history.
belfry is not underrated they have a good football team and everyone will tell you that. they have a good football program. and as long as i can remember they have had a winning team.
Even though I am a Cardinal fan I can see them being overrated so far, but they are playing without Ryan Kelly. I would like to see any team take a 1000 yard rusher and leading tackler off a team and expect them to not miss a beat. The Cards are not where they need to be to make a deep playoff run, but they are right where they need to be for the third game of the season.

Overrated: Johnson Central. They may be one of the best in the mountains, but that dosn't put them in the class of Highlands and Cov. Cath. They have a LONG way to go before they challange for a state title regardless of what everyone likes to think.

Underrated: Pikeville. Few teams have been hit harder than the Panthers by the injury bug. When the smoke clears this will be one darn good A football team.
jetpilot Wrote:Overrated - Prestonsburg. They haven't done anything in forever and their fans still gripe about no respect. Prestonsburg will bow out early once again in the playoffs, and then their fans will be whining that their basketball team gets no respect. Wink

Smile Excluding last year, Prestonsburg had been beat out of the playoffs by the eventual state champs 5 years in a row, and argueably they were the 2nd best team in the state in every one of those years. If you know nothing about Prestonsburg football just keep your mouth shut, it will only make you look stupid.
The season is only 2 weeks old and most teams have several new players or players in new positions and are still learning each week, and I think this questions of who is overrated and underrated can be better answered in another couple of weeks.
Super-Card Wrote:Even though I am a Cardinal fan I can see them being overrated so far, but they are playing without Ryan Kelly. I would like to see any team take a 1000 yard rusher and leading tackler off a team and expect them to not miss a beat. The Cards are not where they need to be to make a deep playoff run, but they are right where they need to be for the third game of the season.

Overrated: Johnson Central. They may be one of the best in the mountains, but that dosn't put them in the class of Highlands and Cov. Cath. They have a LONG way to go before they challange for a state title regardless of what everyone likes to think.

Underrated: Pikeville. Few teams have been hit harder than the Panthers by the injury bug. When the smoke clears this will be one darn good A football team.

Johnson Central is not overrated. Noone has said they are gonna win state and noone has said they will beat Highlands or Cov.Cath. The JC players and coaches know how good football is in NKY and I can garauntee ya they don't even say they WILL win state. And this is comin from a Paintsville alum and fan who dislikes JC as much as anyone.

That's kinda funny you say JC is overrated, then say that Pikeville is underrated. Pikeville returned how many starters from last year. Look at the preseason polls, Pikeville was ranked in the top 5 and still are, and you say they are "underrated", lol, no way.
Super-Card Wrote:Even though I am a Cardinal fan I can see them being overrated so far, but they are playing without Ryan Kelly. I would like to see any team take a 1000 yard rusher and leading tackler off a team and expect them to not miss a beat. The Cards are not where they need to be to make a deep playoff run, but they are right where they need to be for the third game of the season.

With Dials they dont miss to many beats on offense, but defense hurts themt he most by not having Kelly.
Redneck Wrote:Johnson Central is not overrated. Noone has said they are gonna win state and noone has said they will beat Highlands or Cov.Cath. The JC players and coaches know how good football is in NKY and I can garauntee ya they don't even say they WILL win state. And this is comin from a Paintsville alum and fan who dislikes JC as much as anyone.

That's kinda funny you say JC is overrated, then say that Pikeville is underrated. Pikeville returned how many starters from last year. Look at the preseason polls, Pikeville was ranked in the top 5 and still are, and you say they are "underrated", lol, no way.
Pikeville is and has been ranked in the top five, but few people thought they could beat Holy Cross, and after they did, few people thought they could beat a down Ashland team. Maybe the word is underestimated.
EASports12 Wrote:Pikeville is and has been ranked in the top five, but few people thought they could beat Holy Cross, and after they did, few people thought they could beat a down Ashland team. Maybe the word is underestimated.

I said they was ranked. I never doubted Pikeville one bit in the first two games especially the Ashland game after Raceland beat em the week before. The sad thing is, people are gonna say they are "overrated" after they more than likely lose to Belfry and Lex Cath.
Thats probably true, but I think they will go very far in the playoffs - They have a very good chance of going to the state championship game and more than likely losing then.
I wouldn't call Pikeville overrated. Although I can't see them beating Belfry, I do see them having a very long run in the 1A playoffs this year.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
blackcat Wrote:Smile Excluding last year, Prestonsburg had been beat out of the playoffs by the eventual state champs 5 years in a row, and argueably they were the 2nd best team in the state in every one of those years. If you know nothing about Prestonsburg football just keep your mouth shut, it will only make you look stupid.

I didn't look stupid watching Pikeville drill them the last 3 years...P'burg is horrible...Smile
jetpilot Wrote:I didn't look stupid watching Pikeville drill them the last 3 years...P'burg is horrible...Smile

How many games are there in a year? That's a pretty easy one..
blackcat Wrote:How many games are there in a year? That's a pretty easy one..

All I'm saying is P'burg has to win some big games to get respect. Maybe it will happen this year, but they have to prove themselves. Just messin' with you on the horrible part.
blackcat Wrote:Smile Excluding last year, Prestonsburg had been beat out of the playoffs by the eventual state champs 5 years in a row, and argueably they were the 2nd best team in the state in every one of those years. If you know nothing about Prestonsburg football just keep your mouth shut, it will only make you look stupid.

Excluding more than just last year.. Prestonsburg hasn't been beating by the eventual state champions since Belfry in 2004. They weren't defeated by Russell in 05', and they weren't defeated by Mercer Co. in 06'. Now they did have a streak of the B factor. But that was from 2000-2004. They lost to Boyle Co. in 2000, Bardstown in the championship game of 2001, Breathitt Co. in 2002, Belfry in 2003 & 2004. And they were only argueably the 2nd best team in 2A in 2001 & 2003. Actually they were the 2nd best team in 2A in 2001, as it shows they were state runner up. Prestonsburg after 2004, has been sub-par. Actually in 2005, they really were horrible. They went 4-7 and only beating East Ridge, Pike Central, Shelby Valley, and that ultra-disqusting of a game beating up on Magoffin Co. 83-12, which to this day I still believe was classless. Last season was an O.K. season for P'Burg, but still far from what Prestonsburg was 2004 and earlier. IMHO, Prestonsburg can't really be underrated until they prove something this year. And losing 12-7 to an overrated Breathitt Co. doesn't really show me very much.

As to what I personally think:
Overrated - Breathitt Co.- I don't see this as being the #4 team in 3A.
Underrated - Pikeville - I think they could surprise a few people. They have one of the best backs in the mountains with Harmon.

Belfry isn't really overrated nor underrated. I think they get respect, but its well deserved.
I think Sheldon Clark is pretty decent, Dials is a very solid expierienced back, but without Kelly it really hurts them on the defensive side of the ball.
Redneck Wrote:I said they was ranked. I never doubted Pikeville one bit in the first two games especially the Ashland game after Raceland beat em the week before. The sad thing is, people are gonna say they are "overrated" after they more than likely lose to Belfry and Lex Cath.
Hypothetically speaking, if Pikeville did get beat by the 4A #1 and the 3A #1, then how would that leave them as "overrated." Nobody expects a 1A team to beat these bigger teams except for the 1A team playing them. This statement of yours really makes no sense from an intellectual or football standpoint.
jetpilot Wrote:I didn't look stupid watching Pikeville drill them the last 3 years...P'burg is horrible...Smile
P-burg is not horrible. They are a solid team with very good athletes. 22-8 is not drilling a team either. I don't know why you get on here and try to bring even more people against the football team when you aren't even associated with them.
mrfootball03 Wrote:Excluding more than just last year.. Prestonsburg hasn't been beating by the eventual state champions since Belfry in 2004. They weren't defeated by Russell in 05', and they weren't defeated by Mercer Co. in 06'. Now they did have a streak of the B factor. But that was from 2000-2004. They lost to Boyle Co. in 2000, Bardstown in the championship game of 2001, Breathitt Co. in 2002, Belfry in 2003 & 2004. And they were only argueably the 2nd best team in 2A in 2001 & 2003. Actually they were the 2nd best team in 2A in 2001, as it shows they were state runner up. Prestonsburg after 2004, has been sub-par. Actually in 2005, they really were horrible. They went 4-7 and only beating East Ridge, Pike Central, Shelby Valley, and that ultra-disqusting of a game beating up on Magoffin Co. 83-12, which to this day I still believe was classless. Last season was an O.K. season for P'Burg, but still far from what Prestonsburg was 2004 and earlier. IMHO, Prestonsburg can't really be underrated until they prove something this year. And losing 12-7 to an overrated Breathitt Co. doesn't really show me very much.

I was wrong, I just noticed that, I meant excluding the past 2 years. And notice I said argueably, I've been told by several Belfry players that in '03 and '04 that Prestonsburg was hands down the best 2A opponent they faced all year.
For me, it's still too early in the season to make an overrated/underrated call. I am simply going to say that, IMO, SC and Pikeville really are that good. They were very good teams last year, and they have most of their nucleus of great players back.

I can't wait to watch Harmon and Dials again this year.

Of course, while I know that JCHS is going to be Belfry's biggest challenge this year, and I admit that SCHS and Pikeville have very good football programs, I still believe that Belfry will finish the season 9-1, if not 10-0.

I could be wrong though.
Super-Card Wrote:Underrated: Pikeville. Few teams have been hit harder than the Panthers by the injury bug. When the smoke clears this will be one darn good A football team.

Injury bug? I know last season the Panthers were plagued by injuries, but is this still an issue? If so, who is currently injured for Pikeville?