Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2a at the top
As I have said before, Breathitt deserves to be in the conversation as a legitimate title contender. With that being said, I think they will have their hands full with Mayfield, LCA, and Somerset. I'm not saying they can't beat any of these teams, but it wouldn't be a two or three touchdown victory as some have stated on here. I agree with Bull, if they are going to have a shot at beating the elite teams in 2A, they must be able to pass the ball more effectively. The Somerset's and Mayfield's of the world, will load the box and go "toe to toe" with the Bobcats. In my opinion, Collins is the best back in 2A, but when elite teams load the box, it's hard to have a lot of success. Just look back in "09" when the Bobcats played Somerset in the regional finals, Channing Fugate had a solid game, but Somerset was able to keep him in check enough to win the game. At the end of the day, Breathitt has a good chance at making a run at Kroger, but the road is going to be harder than most bobcat fans realize.
I've thought all along it was a 3 horse race. Mayfield, LCA, and Somerset. With Mayfield being the best of the bunch. I'll stand by that.
I love seeing our Mountain Teams succeed. But Breathitt fans need to slow down a little. They should win the district. Leslie can be better than they are playing, but has no chance of pulling the upset at Breathitt. But thinking you have a chance of winning a state title? Come on, you won on a penalty at Leslie last year. The program is better and trending in the right direction. But Mayfield, Somerset, and LCA, they are a different animal than you. You are gonna be good this year and next year. But come on, a run at Kroger????? You are not there yet. Don’t set yourself up for disappointment. Give your team a honest evaluation. The best team you have played is who, Middlesboro? You are a good team playing a cup cake schedule. That schedule would make a ton of teams look great. Running clock of you play Somerset, LCA, or Mayfield. But if you make it to Kroger, I will be pulling for ya.
MountainBaller Wrote:I love seeing our Mountain Teams succeed. But Breathitt fans need to slow down a little. They should win the district. Leslie can be better than they are playing, but has no chance of pulling the upset at Breathitt. But thinking you have a chance of winning a state title? Come on, you won on a penalty at Leslie last year. The program is better and trending in the right direction. But Mayfield, Somerset, and LCA, they are a different animal than you. You are gonna be good this year and next year. But come on, a run at Kroger????? You are not there yet. Don’t set yourself up for disappointment. Give your team a honest evaluation. The best team you have played is who, Middlesboro? You are a good team playing a cup cake schedule. That schedule would make a ton of teams look great. Running clock of you play Somerset, LCA, or Mayfield. But if you make it to Kroger, I will be pulling for ya.

I'm curious, what does last year have to do with this year? Also, I think Breathitt has a very good shot at making it to the state semi finals and we all know anything can happen after that. It seems to me a lot of people are upset that Breathitt is becoming relevant once again. As I have said over and over again, we have played a weak schedule, and we have an uphill climb to make it to Kroger, but the possibility is there. Regardless of the outcome this year, I am enthusiastic about the program moving forward.
Cat Daddy Wrote:I'm curious, what does last year have to do with this year? Also, I think Breathitt has a very good shot at making it to the state semi finals and we all know anything can happen after that. It seems to me a lot of people are upset that Breathitt is becoming relevant once again. As I have said over and over again, we have played a weak schedule, and we have an uphill climb to make it to Kroger, but the possibility is there. Regardless of the outcome this year, I am enthusiastic about the program moving forward.

I don't think people are upset about Breathitt doing well, but a little humility would serve your fanbase well with the crowd on this site, especially given the teams you're beating. The schedule isn't this year's team's fault, but people aren't going to respect you if you're beating your chest after winning 8 man football games.
I hope they do make it to the semifinals, and win the whole thing if they get there. Just hate to see these kids buy the foolish hype, and then get demolished in the third round. I agree with Walt beat someone that is half decent before thumping your chest and voting yourself number 1.
Class 2A
* Top five teams: 1. Lexington Christian (.768), 2. Somerset (.768), 3. Mayfield (.761), 4. Owensboro Catholic (.699), 5. Caldwell County (.684).
Source:Courier-Journal
Cat Daddy Wrote:I'm curious, what does last year have to do with this year?
Everything when you face a team like Mayfield. Most of there starters have played in multiple championship games. They've been on that stage and understand it's gravity. Maybe more than anything they know the pain of losing. I personally think Mayfield's D Line is highly suspect at the championship level. But if they can get back there....... you'll probably never see a team with anymore FIGHT.
Breathitt will likely be in the semis the day after Thanksgiving. Question is are they on the road to Somerset, LCA, or Mayfield. As of now the rpi would have them driving to War Memorial.
IMO

Breathitt Co couldn't beat LCA, Mayfield or Somerset. Caldwell and OCath aren't even in the conversation.

After the injury to the Miller kid I'd rate them like this:

1.) Mayfield
2.) Somerset
3.) LCA
4.) Breathitt Co

....all others irrelevant in the chase for the 2A title.
You’re absolutely correct! We are a special team this year. We’ve got more weapons under our belt and they’re about to be unleashed.
FoSho Wrote:IMO

Breathitt Co couldn't beat LCA, Mayfield or Somerset. Caldwell and OCath aren't even in the conversation.

After the injury to the Miller kid I'd rate them like this:

1.) Mayfield
2.) Somerset
3.) LCA
4.) Breathitt Co

....all others irrelevant in the chase for the 2A title.
Somerset and LCA will play each other in round 2, is that right?
Twitter: @tc_analytics

I’m wishing Breathitt all the best in the playoffs but their crummy schedule will be their downfall.
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:Somerset and LCA will play each other in round 2, is that right?

Yes

It'll be a tough game and a great team will be out of the playoffs very early.
MountainBaller Wrote:I hope they do make it to the semifinals, and win the whole thing if they get there. Just hate to see these kids buy the foolish hype, and then get demolished in the third round. I agree with Walt beat someone that is half decent before thumping your chest and voting yourself number 1.

Thumping your chest? Voting yourself #1? You must have me confused with somebody else. At the end of the day, as the old saying goes "It will all come out in the wash". Breathitt will have it's chance to prove everyone right, or wrong when the playoff's roll around. Until then, Go Bobcats!!!!
Breathitt schedule we know sucks!!! I hear it all time they haven’t been tested until playoffs. That most likely correct too. But what you not seeing whole picture. Breathitt doesn’t have to show whole playbook or wrinkle they have on offense. A lot teams are going prepare for Bobcats what there doing now. What going floor them is , and give Defense fits is a different style offense for playoffs. Man honestly I love that don’t get a lot respect because that fuel them. This team has a lot of resemblance of 02 just different style team. That year Bobcats had running clock all but one game regular season. I’m not saying going win championship but for those saying no way possible. That said at Danville to 95. Holcomb and Moore when giving right talent can win at biggest of stages. I looking forward to what unfolds in playoffs. What Bobcats have to lose if they get beat in Regionals every one say well told you not as good what they thought. If they win it’s upset . Bobcats have good chance of beating Somerset but I don’t think Somerset makes past LCA. LCA is really good and Bobcats would have ton trouble with them stud athletes!!!!
One of the best coaches in the state will tell you, when you are on the big stage, you better stick with what got you there.
I hope you are correct sir. I’m pulling for you guys. However, I’m hoping the team don’t get the mentality they are gonna have a cake walk to Kroger Field. They are some very solid teams they will have to beat to get there.
Say what you want about Breathitt but more than likely they should walk to the semi-finals if they keep the best RPI out East. I think the Mayfield-Murray game will be more interesting than what people think and those teams could potentially play twice. LCA and Somerset will play twice and it wouldn't surprise me if the team that won the regular season matchup losses in the playoffs if they are evenly matched. There is still a lot of football left to be played and it is still left to be seen how the RPI will play out, but I am one person that is somewhat excited about the change. No it's not perfect but I think it adds a little more excitement and intrigue to the playoff system.
zoneblitz2 Wrote:Say what you want about Breathitt but more than likely they should walk to the semi-finals if they keep the best RPI out East. I think the Mayfield-Murray game will be more interesting than what people think and those teams could potentially play twice. LCA and Somerset will play twice and it wouldn't surprise me if the team that won the regular season matchup losses in the playoffs if they are evenly matched. There is still a lot of football left to be played and it is still left to be seen how the RPI will play out, but I am one person that is somewhat excited about the change. No it's not perfect but I think it adds a little more excitement and intrigue to the playoff system.
Mayfield will beat Murray like Granny beating a rug.
mysonis55 Wrote:One of the best coaches in the state will tell you, when you are on the big stage, you better stick with what got you there.

My thoughts exactly. If you want to pull something out of the back of the playbook late in the year, be my guest. Either A) You haven't put it to the test yet so you have no idea if it will work or if your players can even execute it properly against real competition, or B) Nothing else is working.
If all goes as planned, what we do know is that one of the top 3 teams will be out by the third round since Somerset and LCA should be playing a 2nd round game. That creates a much easier path for someone...
Statebound19 Wrote:Buy it , don’t buy it really doesn’t matter. But Hopefully about 5 weeks we find out. If I wrong I buy a Somerset hat and shirt wear it all week . I promise I do not like color Purple!!!! Lol

Did you ever buy that Somerset hat and shirt? I can send you a set.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Walt Longmire's post:
  • Deuce8
Everyone now has the opportunity to fill their bye week and 11/6. I am seeing the tops teams in 2a schedule up in class and some challenging games to get them playoff ready. Given Breathitt's weak schedule they could shut a lot of people up by scheduling some good games. Has anyone heard who they have scheduled?
Cobraxx Wrote:Everyone now has the opportunity to fill their bye week and 11/6. I am seeing the tops teams in 2a schedule up in class and some challenging games to get them playoff ready. Given Breathitt's weak schedule they could shut a lot of people up by scheduling some good games. Has anyone heard who they have scheduled?

I’m wondering the same thing. Would like to see the Hazard vs Breathitt game get moved to 11/6 if at all possible.