Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
14th Region 07-08
Wrong--Ashley Lacy and Monica Slemp are also seniors for Powell.
1. Heather Sturdivant - Great talented player no doubt she is number 1.

2. Kendra McFarling - Great overall player good fit with powell.

3. Meagan Mosley - Great ball player, great speed, ball handling skills. Great shooter smooth touch on the ball. I think she holds scoring record at KCC. Think she broke most points scored at KCC her sophomore year.

4. Kendra Thomas - At the end of last season she showed she could shoot the ball, she is a powerhouse down low grabbing rebounds.

5. Lenae Shouse - Tall down low on the block, great at grabbing rebounds.
qb destroyer Wrote:yes the 56th district is by far a strong district to be in. who ever wins that district stands a really good chance of regional title this year. oh, yea jones is the only senior on powell co team
I dont know where you got your information jones is NOT the only starting senior..... or the only Senior at all this year......! there is 3 seniors this year and 2 of them started last year the 3rd senior has a really good chance of starting this year they would be courtney jones, ashley lacy, and monica slemp..... Maybe you should do a little more research before you post about a team
UKisN1 Wrote:When was the last time a team from the 56th won the region?

Never have. Since 1999, the 56th district has only won (1) regional tournament game, that was Wolfe County who is now in the 55th, when they won over Jenkins 75-59 in 2003. In the semi-finals they were destroyed by PCC 70-34.
Last three seasons:
2007- Breathitt (+29) over Powell, PCC (+18) over Estill
2006- Leslie (+22) over Powell, Breathitt (+38) over Estill
2005- KCC (+29) over Wolfe, Breathitt (+18) over Owsley
rawlingsfan Wrote:Never have. Since 1999, the 56th district has only won (1) regional tournament game, that was Wolfe County who is now in the 55th, when they won over Jenkins 75-59 in 2003. In the semi-finals they were destroyed by PCC 70-34.
Last three seasons:
2007- Breathitt (+29) over Powell, PCC (+18) over Estill
2006- Leslie (+22) over Powell, Breathitt (+38) over Estill
2005- KCC (+29) over Wolfe, Breathitt (+18) over Owsley

The 56th has two Class A schools and two 2A schools: how do the enrollments in the 56th compare to the other districts?
55th-Riverside-A, Jackson-A, Wolfe co -A, Breathitt Co-3A
54th-Buckhorn-A, Hazard-A, Leslie Co-3A, PCC-5A
53rd-Cordia-A, Jenkins-A, KCC-3A ,LCC-5A, JBS-A

Does size make a difference in girls basketball?
UKisN1 Wrote:55th-Riverside-A, Jackson-A, Wolfe co -A, Breathitt Co-3A
54th-Buckhorn-A, Hazard-A, Leslie Co-3A, PCC-5A
53rd-Cordia-A, Jenkins-A, KCC-3A ,LCC-5A, JBS-A

Does size make a difference in girls basketball?

I sort of think it does...unless, of course, a private school is involved, which often "feels" like an AAU team, a collection of all stars from all over the place. Letcher Central, Perry Central, Breathitt Co... these schools are quite a bit larger, which means more girls to pick from which increases the genetic chances of athleticism and height.
thecavemaster Wrote:The 56th has two Class A schools and two 2A schools: how do the enrollments in the 56th compare to the other districts?

Enrollments grades 9-12 for 2006-2007, the 56th district has the 3rd and 4th largest schools based on enrollment. Schools with smaller enrollments have faired better in the regional tournament.

1. PCC (989)
2. LCC (971)
3. POWELL CO. (729)
4. ESTILL CO. (706)
5. Breathitt Co. (674) 14th region champions 2007, runner-up in 2006.
6. Knott Cent. (643) 14th region champions 2005.
7. Leslie Co. (607) 14th region semi-finalists 2007 and 2006.
**Hazard (316) 2001 regional champions - 1997 state champions
**Whitesburg (now LCC) qualified for the class 'a' was regional runner-up in 2003, 2004, and 2005
Thanks for the above info.... it is indeed very interesting. I have often puzzled over the relative success/lack of success from different districts, schools etc. which seem to have similar demographics. Is it a winning tradition? Is it genetics? Is it coaching and quality developmental league programs? Why does the 56th district, especially in girls, struggle so badly at the regional level? Tough questions to answer, really.
KCC will do very well this year!
Therunner Wrote:KCC will do very well this year!

And that they will.Cool
UKisN1 Wrote:When was the last time a team from the 56th won the region?
I don't think the 56th has ever won the region. they have been runner-up a few times.
This year the region is going to be very interesting. Sturdivant and company at PCC are itching to get back to Bowling Green and Mosley and company at KCC are itching to get back as well. I dont know about anyone else but I sure cant wait to see KCC and PCC match up this year!
and_1 Wrote:This year the region is going to be very interesting. Sturdivant and company at PCC are itching to get back to Bowling Green and Mosley and company at KCC are itching to get back as well. I dont know about anyone else but I sure cant wait to see KCC and PCC match up this year!

It's going to be fun. Sturdivant lives in Knott County and went to grade school in Knott County, played one year for Knott Central. Went to Perry Central so she could go to state every year (has she would say). I find it funny that she hasn't been to state since she has been in high school and she is a Sr. Good pick
thecavemaster Wrote:Thanks for the above info.... it is indeed very interesting. I have often puzzled over the relative success/lack of success from different districts, schools etc. which seem to have similar demographics. Is it a winning tradition? Is it genetics? Is it coaching and quality developmental league programs? Why does the 56th district, especially in girls, struggle so badly at the regional level? Tough questions to answer, really.

IMO...it has a lot to do with numbers of feeder programs---all 4 schools in the 56th district have only one 8th grade team's players coming in as freshmen...some of the others have 10 or more. this means 5 or 6 girls with quality experience vs. 50 or more.:confused:
Benchwarmer Wrote:It's going to be fun. Sturdivant lives in Knott County and went to grade school in Knott County, played one year for Knott Central. Went to Perry Central so she could go to state every year (has she would say). I find it funny that she hasn't been to state since she has been in high school and she is a Sr. Good pick

I know it is quiet funny. Had she stayed "home" she might would have went to Bowling Green more than once.
and_1 Wrote:I know it is quiet funny. Had she stayed "home" she might would have went to Bowling Green more than once.

You are correct.
Benchwarmer Wrote:It's going to be fun. Sturdivant lives in Knott County and went to grade school in Knott County, played one year for Knott Central. Went to Perry Central so she could go to state every year (has she would say). I find it funny that she hasn't been to state since she has been in high school and she is a Sr. Good pick

If Madden didnt go down last year, the Commodores would been in Bowling Green IMO. PCC will have a pretty good chance of going this year with return of Allison Feltner and Sturdivant like you mentioned , they will be looking to lead PCC to Bowling Green. Seems like you know a lot about KCC. Is Lindsay Gibson playing this year?
MVP2 Wrote:If Madden didnt go down last year, the Commodores would been in Bowling Green IMO. PCC will have a pretty good chance of going this year with return of Allison Feltner and Sturdivant like you mentioned , they will be looking to lead PCC to Bowling Green. Seems like you know a lot about KCC. Is Lindsay Gibson playing this year?

Nope Lindsay decided not to play.
pickin'_n_grinnin Wrote:Do You keep up with the 56th District any at all? Were all kinda loaded with talented players also.
Estill- Tia Brandenburg and the twins
Lee- Courtany Johnson, and the Bowling sisters
Powell- Kendra McFarling and Courtney Jones
Owsley- Kendra Combs and Mika Turner (Owsley has about 7 or 8 talented Kids)

IMO some of these players need and deserve to be in the Top 10.

The Combs girl did a great job with the team last yearr and with her returning for her senior season she deserves to be in the top....
oldgrouch Wrote:IMO...it has a lot to do with numbers of feeder programs---all 4 schools in the 56th district have only one 8th grade team's players coming in as freshmen...some of the others have 10 or more. this means 5 or 6 girls with quality experience vs. 50 or more.:confused:
Very good point.
Benchwarmer Wrote:Good list. Knott IMO will be better than PCC and Breathitt.

I agree with you. I think KCC will role all the way to the Sweet 16 tourney this year.
GO PATRIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bobby1 Wrote:I agree with you. I think KCC will role all the way to the Sweet 16 tourney this year.
GO PATRIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Girls and boys going to the state, huh? Mosley must get help. Buttermilk must be pretty good for someone to play pick up for the last two years and then become a star.
UKisN1 Wrote:Girls and boys going to the state, huh? Mosley must get help. Buttermilk must be pretty good for someone to play pick up for the last two years and then become a star.

OK coach. Mosley has help, return all starters. As far as Buttermilk you will see and soon.
Benchwarmer Wrote:Good list. Knott IMO will be better than PCC and Breathitt.

Those 3 teams should be at the top but what order that could be a good debate but only time will tell who will win the region.
Go Pirates of yonder Powell Co.
Benchwarmer Wrote:OK coach. Mosley has help, return all starters. As far as Buttermilk you will see and soon.

I agree and as far as Buttermilk is concerned you will see that he hasnt missed a beat while he was taking off the past 2 years.
The top three teams in my opinion are Perry, Breathitt, and Knott in no order. Each of these teams are capable of beating each other night in night out. This is going to be an interesting season.
IMO I think that there are for really good teams in the 14th this year PCC, KCC, JBS, and Breathitt. The 14th is really going to have some great basketball this year. CONGRATS 14TH REGION.
JBS? What big wins did they have last year? How many starters do they have back? Leading scorers? Rebounders?