Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2019 Ashland Tomcat schedule
So, Ashland faithful; what’s the QB situation then?
BellMiddle Wrote:I hope Ashland and Bell can meet in the playoffs these upcoming years!!

Won't have to "hope" very long. I think it'll happen this year. And if I'm not mistaken, the winner will take on Belfry at Pond Creek if the Pirates make it that far for the Region. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Just what I've heard. I can't keep up with the way KHSAA does football anymore!
I think it all depends on the rating system after the first 2 rounds.
#55PirateFan Wrote:Won't have to "hope" very long. I think it'll happen this year. And if I'm not mistaken, the winner will take on Belfry at Pond Creek if the Pirates make it that far for the Region. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Just what I've heard. I can't keep up with the way KHSAA does football anymore!

Don't you mean the way the KHSAA has screwed it up? Smile Quite honestly, they've done nothing but add confusion, expense and overall frustration with the amended format
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:Don't you mean the way the KHSAA has screwed it up? Smile Quite honestly, they've done nothing but add confusion, expense and overall frustration with the amended format

That's exactly what I meant! Lol
Ashland might win their district. Got to beat Russell. They can't and won't compete with belfry
Warriorhawk17 Wrote:Ashland might win their district. Got to beat Russell. They can't and won't compete with belfry

Hope your right. But I think Ashland will play Belfry a very tough game if it comes down to it in the playoffs. Ashland will be a very solid team this year in my opinion. We'll see.
#55PirateFan Wrote:Hope your right. But I think Ashland will play Belfry a very tough game if it comes down to it in the playoffs. Ashland will be a very solid team this year in my opinion. We'll see.

Historically, Belfry has struggled with Ashland....albeit, the only time Ashland has really wanted to play has been when they've had their strongest teams. Nevertheless....they've dominated the series from a wins perspective. I'm guessing....if they would happen to meet this year.....it would be interesting.....
Warriorhawk17 Wrote:Ashland might win their district. Got to beat Russell. They can't and won't compete with belfry

Ashland will beat Russell by 4 touchdowns. Russell and football are not synonymous anymore.
THINBLUELINE411 Wrote:Ashland will beat Russell by 4 touchdowns. Russell and football are not synonymous anymore.

Hate to hear this. I always liked and respected Russell football. Hopefully they get things together.
#55PirateFan Wrote:Hate to hear this. I always liked and respected Russell football. Hopefully they get things together.

Russell will be solid this year. They return a bit.
KYHSFB Wrote:Russell will be solid this year. They return a bit.

It doesn’t matter how many they return. This isn’t your Russell teams of old. They’re as soft as butter now.
Tomcat Pride Wrote:It doesn’t matter how many they return. This isn’t your Russell teams of old. They’re as soft as butter now.

I thought Russell had a respectable finish last year especially after staring 0-3. Getting beat in the regional finals by the eventual state champion is nothing to be ashamed of. With the right attitude I think that is a perfect place to build off of for the upcoming season.
KYHSFB Wrote:So, Ashland faithful; what’s the QB situation then?

Good question.
Congrats to Ashland’s John Stone on his latest offer from Murray State.
Any info on who will be the QB this season?
QB was a senior! Had a great career! Next man up!
Catsclaws90 Wrote:Any info on who will be the QB this season?
Jake Gregg one of the Coaches Son’s I think is the QB.
#55PirateFan Wrote:Hate to hear this. I always liked and respected Russell football. Hopefully they get things together.

Until Russell gets rid of Maynard and returns to power blocking schemes Russell football will be forgotten in the state of Kentucky. The spread will never work in Flatwoods against anyone of any count. Randy Vanderhoof brought the air raid to eastern ky. Coach vanderhoof in 2008 adapted to his talent and went with the wishbone. Maynard will continue to ruin Russell because he won’t adapt to his talent. It’s not fair to the kids who he works to death, blames for everything, and belittles them publicly on Friday nights for his incompetence.
THINBLUELINE411 Wrote:Until Russell gets rid of Maynard and returns to power blocking schemes Russell football will be forgotten in the state of Kentucky. The spread will never work in Flatwoods against anyone of any count. Randy Vanderhoof brought the air raid to eastern ky. Coach vanderhoof in 2008 adapted to his talent and went with the wishbone. Maynard will continue to ruin Russell because he won’t adapt to his talent. It’s not fair to the kids who he works to death, blames for everything, and belittles them publicly on Friday nights for his incompetence.

Sad to hear. Hopefully things get turned around in Flatwoods. Like I said before, I like Russell and I think 3A is alot better when their competitive.
Tomcat Pride Wrote:It doesn’t matter how many they return. This isn’t your Russell teams of old. They’re as soft as butter now.

Are they as soft as the Ashland "I Cant Believe it's Not Butter" teams that have played Johnson Central for the last 15 years?
T-CATS Wrote:Aug.23 @ Knox Central
Aug.30 Boyd
Sep. 6 George Washington WVA
Sep. 13 @ Wheelersburg Ohio
Sep.20 Ironton Ohio
Sep.27 open
Oct.4 Raceland
Oct.11 @East Carter (D)
Oct.18 @russell (D)
Oct.25 Greenup County (D)
Nov.1 @Spring Valley WVA

I heard that in week 6 ASH-land bought out their contract against WR Castle Elementary to lighten up the schedule even more. Any truth to that one T_CATS? Skeerd of the Johnson Co. Tomcats?
Johnson Central definitely won the war, not just the battle, over the past decade. Can you blame Ashland for not subjecting themselves to the beating they generally took against Johnson Central each season?

This year’s Ashland team should be pretty good. I don’t see them contending for a state title because 3A is strong, but they should have a good season. I look for the Russell-Ashland rivalry to become a great game again this year as it becomes a district game.

Ashland should be strong along the lines and in the backfield. Pittman is a speedster who can score any time he touches the ball against anyone. Hester has been a solid player for a few seasons now on both sides of the ball. The biggest question mark for the Tomcats is QB with the loss of the Paintsville players. Teams will load up to stop the run and make the new QB prove he can beat them. He will have the advantage of being protected by what should be Ashland’s best offensive line in many seasons, though.

The Tomcat defense lost their best line player so they will have to find some players to fill holes up front. The linebackers are small but they do return some experience there. The secondary should be pretty good.
I think cancelling week 6 had to more to do with the ASH-land coaching staff knowing what WR Castle had returning this year ...They only lost two 6th graders from last year, and picked up a tranfer from Flat Gap Elementary....They will be loaded.
Bob Seger Wrote:I think cancelling week 6 had to more to do with the ASH-land coaching staff knowing what WR Castle had returning this year ...They only lost two 6th graders from last year, and picked up a tranfer from Flat Gap Elementary....They will be loaded.

True, WR Castle will be pretty solid but you have to remember that ASH-land has ol' Badcat coming back. I just don't think WR Castle has any answer for him.
WideRight05 Wrote:True, WR Castle will be pretty solid but you have to remember that ASH-land has ol' Badcat coming back. I just don't think WR Castle has any answer for him.

Yep, you're right, the 9th year holdback will no doubt be a challenge for the WR Tomcats. The kid just gets better and better.

I think superior coaching will play out in the end though. I just don't think ASH-land will feel the LOVE in the end.