Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mountain Top Ten preseason predictions
zaga_fan Wrote:I think 1 2 and 3 are Belfry, Johnson Central and Corbin in any order.

Belfry defeated Johnson Central last year, but took an early loss to Central in the playoffs.

Corbin did beat Central, but never played Belfry and I could see how someone would want to give Belfry the benefit of the doubt.

Johnson Central handled business in the postseason after losing to Belfry.

It's hard to choose.

Actually they didn't handle business in the Final vs FS.
chs crazy Wrote:My panties are in no more of an uproar than a lot of your fan base this time last year having the same discussion, but as it’s said that was last year. Good luck to the Pirates this year hope you all have a great injury free season be pulling for you in every game but one!!

This time last year they where the champs, but this year they have a lot to prove. Yes I do agree with you some of the fan base do get little out there some times but most of them are level headed but they are true to their team just like you and 64 and the rest of the red hound fans are and should be. Go back to last years post and see if I for one and some others Pirate fans where for Corbin in the championship. No knock on Boyle but me personally will be for who ever represents the east. I wasn’t trying to be smart by my comment, just wanted you to know I have a lot of respect for Corbin and also wish them all the luck in every game and like you said except if they meet the Pirates. Wish them and really ever School a injury free year. Hopefully they meet but it’s along season and a lot of work to get to that point.
Based on returning players and ranking for this year:
1. Belfry
2. Corbin
3. Johnson Central
4. Somerset
5. Paintsville
6. Southwestern
7. Wayne Co.- Mountain Team- NO
8. Bell County
9. Hazard
10. Pikeville
My Top 5 will probably cause few head scratches but some teams have a few things to prove before they go back to the top. And yes, I'm a Belfry fan. My Top 5:

Johnson Central
Corbin
Belfry
Pikeville
Hazard

This is going to be an up and down year for the Pirates but they'll still be dangerous as hell! Our offense is going to be just as good as last year working behind an experienced and big offensive line. Where I think the Pirates may struggle a bit will be the D-Line and secondary. If we can get those two areas figured out then we can make a deep run. I also think with the reshuffling of classes and with the 2020 class we have, I think Belfry may be the favorite to win 3A next year. Time will tell.
#55PirateFan Wrote:My Top 5 will probably cause few head scratches but some teams have a few things to prove before they go back to the top. And yes, I'm a Belfry fan. My Top 5:

Johnson Central
Corbin
Belfry
Pikeville
Hazard

This is going to be an up and down year for the Pirates but they'll still be dangerous as hell! Our offense is going to be just as good as last year working behind an experienced and big offensive line. Where I think the Pirates may struggle a bit will be the D-Line and secondary. If we can get those two areas figured out then we can make a deep run. I also think with the reshuffling of classes and with the 2020 class we have, I think Belfry may be the favorite to win 3A next year. Time will tell.

With all of the shuffling of teams up to 4A, I think Belfry will have to be considered a heavy favorite in 3A for any foreseeable future. Schools like Corbin have definitely had an advantage playing in 3A with solid 4A enrollment numbers the last couple of years. We're a little over a month away! :insane:
FoSho Wrote:From an outsider:

1.) Johnson Central
2.) Belfry
3.) Corbin
4.) Hazard
5.) Pikeville

I'm going to add Paintsville as a team to watch with their QB/DB transfer from LCA. No matter where he plays the kid will help.
chs crazy Wrote:So last year Belfry was ranked preseason #1 because of the year it had before even though we knew how much talent they lost. However this year we're going off of lost talent to downgrade Corbin in the polls even though they return around 25 Seniors? :Thumbs:

I agree with this and probably should have put Corbin higher....I didn't realize they returned so much. The loss of their QB is big but having to move their best athlete to play that position will hurt the Hounds offense unless someone can step up in Esteps old role.

To be honest, I see very little difference between Johnson Central, Belfry and Corbin...it's a toss up.

Good luck to everyone on a great season and a season without injury.
DarthVader Wrote:With all of the shuffling of teams up to 4A, I think Belfry will have to be considered a heavy favorite in 3A for any foreseeable future. Schools like Corbin have definitely had an advantage playing in 3A with solid 4A enrollment numbers the last couple of years. We're a little over a month away! :insane:

DeSales and CAL will be very tough to beat.
Sportsfanatic2015 Wrote:Belfry
Corbin
Somerset
Pikeville
Hazard
Rockcastle
Casey
Powell
Knox
Wayne

comical Smile
Sportsfanatic2015 Wrote:Belfry
Corbin
Somerset
Pikeville
Hazard
Rockcastle
Casey
Powell
Knox
Wayne

I can't believe you don't have Jackson County and McCreary County in the top ten.
DarthVader Wrote:Casey, Powell, and Wayne aren't considered mountain schools are they? What about Somerset?

Belfry and Johnson Central at the top followed by everybody else. Business as usual.

You are setting your self up for disappointment.
chs crazy Wrote:So last year Belfry was ranked preseason #1 because of the year it had before even though we knew how much talent they lost. However this year we're going off of lost talent to downgrade Corbin in the polls even though they return around 25 Seniors? :Thumbs:

The Hounds should be in the number 1 spot.
Hatz Wrote:Actually they didn't handle business in the Final vs FS.

They got handled. lol
pjdoug Wrote:I can't believe you don't have Jackson County and McCreary County in the top ten.

They should be ranked right about the same spot as Whitley.:lmao:
Sportsfanatic2015 Wrote:They should be ranked right about the same spot as Whitley.:lmao:

I'm sure they are in your rankings Smile
FoSho Wrote:DeSales and CAL will be very tough to beat.

That is true but I'd much rather have to deal with those two than have to battle with Boyle, Corbin, and Louisville Central year in and year out.
Hatz Wrote:Actually they didn't handle business in the Final vs FS.

I consider getting to the finals a pretty big accomplishment.
#55PirateFan Wrote:That is true but I'd much rather have to deal with those two than have to battle with Boyle, Corbin, and Louisville Central year in and year out.

I agree with that. I was just saying that the addition of DeSales and CAL will make 3A anything but a cakewalk. Belfry will have an advantage in the "new" 3A without question and only have to ever beat one of those two to win the title.
FoSho Wrote:I agree with that. I was just saying that the addition of DeSales and CAL will make 3A anything but a cakewalk. Belfry will have an advantage in the "new" 3A without question and only have to ever beat one of those two to win the title.

I agree, DeSalles and CAL are two of the better teams in Kentucky no doubt.
Patriot1 Wrote:I wasn’t trying to be smart by my comment, just wanted you to know I have a lot of respect for Corbin and also wish them all the luck in every game and like you said except if they meet the Pirates. Wish them and really ever School a injury free year. Hopefully they meet but it’s along season and a lot of work to get to that point.
We are good my man thanks for the classy post like I said before good luck to Belfry can’t wait to see what you guys are packin this year, wish football season would hurry up and get here sorry but baseball just sucks!!
FoSho Wrote:I agree with this and probably should have put Corbin higher....I didn't realize they returned so much. The loss of their QB is big but having to move their best athlete to play that position will hurt the Hounds offense unless someone can step up in Esteps old role.

To be honest, I see very little difference between Johnson Central, Belfry and Corbin...it's a toss up.

Good luck to everyone on a great season and a season without injury.

Estep definitely be hard to replace out of the backfield, but I think he’s equally dangerous with the ball in his hands every time it’s snapped. I’m not sure who Haddix moves in the backfield he’s got a few different options can’t wait to see!
chs crazy Wrote:Estep definitely be hard to replace out of the backfield, but I think he’s equally dangerous with the ball in his hands every time it’s snapped. I’m not sure who Haddix moves in the backfield he’s got a few different options can’t wait to see!

Replacing Estep is the key to Corbin this season IMO. They will be very good but to be elite they will need somebody to step up. Haddix is a great coach, I'm sure he'll find someone to take that responsibility.

Good luck this season. Hope to see you the day after Thanksgiving. 😊
chs crazy Wrote:We are good my man thanks for the classy post like I said before good luck to Belfry can’t wait to see what you guys are packin this year, wish football season would hurry up and get here sorry but baseball just sucks!!

You like football because there's no crying in baseball.
chs crazy Wrote:Estep definitely be hard to replace out of the backfield, but I think he’s equally dangerous with the ball in his hands every time it’s snapped. I’m not sure who Haddix moves in the backfield he’s got a few different options can’t wait to see!

Waiting to see who you steal from Whitley County? lol
pjdoug Wrote:Waiting to see who you steal from Whitley County? lol

Did one of Whitley County's young backs become a Hound in the offseason? I remember reading that somewhere, may be totally wrong. If so, is he too young to help?
Johnson Central
Belfry
Somerset
Corbin
Belfry
Johnson Central
Corbin
Pikeville
Paintsville
Hazard
Harlan Co
Knox
Floyd Central
North L
Whitley
bac2369 Wrote:You cannot forget Raceland I’m that 1A perspective. But we are talking about mountain teams though so I can see why they where left off.
The year Pikeville won it all, Paintsville and them where about as dead even as they come.( if healthy). But who knows how it would of played out.

I don’t know why they leave Raceland out of the mountain teams but they are the 1A champs of the east until someone beats them. They have a lot of talent returning and will be hard team to beat in the playoffs. Hoping they have an injury free year and the Panthers get to meet them again for the right to go to Lexington. Was a great game last year but hope for different outcome this year but a lot work from now until then. So good luck to the Rams but as usual GO PANTHERS!!!
DarthVader Wrote:Did one of Whitley County's young backs become a Hound in the offseason? I remember reading that somewhere, may be totally wrong. If so, is he too young to help?

Probably more than one. lol. I've been sick a lot and really don't know what's been going on to be honest so I can't say for sure, but I won't let a sleeping dawg/ redhound lie Smile
Patriot1 Wrote:I don’t know why they leave Raceland out of the mountain teams but they are the 1A champs of the east until someone beats them. They have a lot of talent returning and will be hard team to beat in the playoffs. Hoping they have an injury free year and the Panthers get to meet them again for the right to go to Lexington. Was a great game last year but hope for different outcome this year but a lot work from now until then. So good luck to the Rams but as usual GO PANTHERS!!!

Go Rams !