Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell 2018
Is Russell starting a lot of young kids ?
nekysportsfan Wrote:I could say a lot of negative things about Russell’s team this year after seeing last night’s scrimmage, but I have a feeling ThinBlueLine411 will cover the situation quite well.

The truth is such an unforgiving tell. IMO their is nothing left to say, I despise the current coaching regime, but I’m pulling like hell for the kids! The kids have worked hard and deserve to be successful I just hope they find a way to overcome very poor coaching. Maynard talked about cutting kids last year after the embarrassing end to the last years season, well if can’t do no better than against Rowan then he should cut himself! I’ve never seen Russell with so much promise and talent look so disorganized! The coaching staff outta donate the check to charity on that performance! New kids new year SAME RESULTS!!!
THINBLUELINE411 Wrote:The truth is such an unforgiving tell. IMO their is nothing left to say, I despise the current coaching regime, but I’m pulling like hell for the kids! The kids have worked hard and deserve to be successful I just hope they find a way to overcome very poor coaching. Maynard talked about cutting kids last year after the embarrassing end to the last years season, well if can’t do no better than against Rowan then he should cut himself! I’ve never seen Russell with so much promise and talent look so disorganized! The coaching staff outta donate the check to charity on that performance! New kids new year SAME RESULTS!!!

What happened to Russell football? I know you don’t like the current coaching staff but there have been problems going on well before Maynard came aboard. It seems like 2007 was the last year Russell had swagger and then it seemingly disappeared. I’m just curious to know what happened after the “glory” years that lead to the fall of the program.
Orange Blaze Wrote:What happened to Russell football? I know you don’t like the current coaching staff but there have been problems going on well before Maynard came aboard. It seems like 2007 was the last year Russell had swagger and then it seemingly disappeared. I’m just curious to know what happened after the “glory” years that lead to the fall of the program.

Buddy I wish I knew. Mike Jones leaving as the offensive coordinator soon after 2007 season really hurt the vaunted Wing T attack of Ivan. Coach Jones truly understood what made it go, which is why Ivan always went with 95% of the plays he sent down from the press box. Russell has had a drop in talent but with the 2012 and 2013 freshman classes who were some of the most dominant Russell freshman teams ever the talent had returned, but bad coaching and poor leadership can screw up the best talent. Russell under the Wing-T in 2014, 2015, and 2016 would have competed and gave Belfry fits. The spread has bread poor line play and overall lack of aggressive physical play on defense. Until Maynard is removed or the scheme is changed things will never improve at Russell! MARK MY WORDS!
Embrace The future....let go of the past...you can’t go forward looking behind you!! Hahahahah god I’m sorry to laugh but man...I told all of the Russell people years ago when they thought they landed the big one that they wouldn’t be happy.Is Ivan leaving really a Tom Osborne affect on the Russell program??
THINBLUELINE411 Wrote:Buddy I wish I knew. Mike Jones leaving as the offensive coordinator soon after 2007 season really hurt the vaunted Wing T attack of Ivan. Coach Jones truly understood what made it go, which is why Ivan always went with 95% of the plays he sent down from the press box. Russell has had a drop in talent but with the 2012 and 2013 freshman classes who were some of the most dominant Russell freshman teams ever the talent had returned, but bad coaching and poor leadership can screw up the best talent. Russell under the Wing-T in 2014, 2015, and 2016 would have competed and gave Belfry fits. The spread has bread poor line play and overall lack of aggressive physical play on defense. Until Maynard is removed or the scheme is changed things will never improve at Russell! MARK MY WORDS!

You know Russell ran some wing T at the grid?

Also: there’s been a significant drop in talent. Especially with the guys up front. Loss of jobs in the area had a huge impact.
It’s hard to say that the loss of jobs in the area has contributed greatly to Russell’s decline. Ashland and Raceland are better than ever this season. Greenup is on the rise. Are there really that many jobs down in Paintsville with the 2 good teams in that town? Right across the river, Wheelersburg won the Ohio state championship. Russell’s girls basketball and soccer teams have been successful for many years in a row now. I think it is still possible to be successful in this area. Russell has just gone through a down football cycle since 2005.
I just want success for the kids! The kids are what it’s all about regardless of who the coaches are, numbers, size, or talent the kids work hard all year. They deserve to be rewarded for hard work and losing is no fun. Russell’s talent is good enough to compete with every single team on their schedule and win.
TJs best teams were at Greenup when he was running the Wing T! The Greenup team he had in 2003 came damn close to winning the inaugural Backyard Brawl. He needs to swallow his pride trash the spread and go back to conventional.
I’m trying to be upbeat here gentlemen!
THINBLUELINE411 Wrote:I just want success for the kids! The kids are what it’s all about regardless of who the coaches are, numbers, size, or talent the kids work hard all year. They deserve to be rewarded for hard work and losing is no fun. Russell’s talent is good enough to compete with every single team on their schedule and win.
TJs best teams were at Greenup when he was running the Wing T! The Greenup team he had in 2003 came damn close to winning the inaugural Backyard Brawl. He needs to swallow his pride trash the spread and go back to conventional.
You’re delusional.
THINBLUELINE411 Wrote:I just want success for the kids! The kids are what it’s all about regardless of who the coaches are, numbers, size, or talent the kids work hard all year. They deserve to be rewarded for hard work and losing is no fun. Russell’s talent is good enough to compete with every single team on their schedule and win.

TJ has 2 seperate state semis appearances at the other 2 county schools and you think his best teams were when he was at Greenup? Its hard to impress the Red Devil faithful of old... just like Ironton living in the past and thinking the ways of old will work in todays football. I feel sorry for TJ if he has to listen to more people like you on a day to day basis. Theres only so much you can do with the talent he has been given the past few years and couple that with the abundance of injuries the team experienced last year.
Russell is one year away from returning to a 3A power. Their biggest obstacle will remain Belfry.
EsseQuamVideri Wrote:Russell is one year away from returning to a 3A power. Their biggest obstacle will remain Belfry.

Or Ashland, or Greenup in their district.

Actually, bookmark this post- East Carter will beat them next year.
kyhsfb Wrote:or ashland, or greenup in their district.

Actually, bookmark this post- east carter will beat them next year.

wow!
Russell and I’m no expert on the Devils lacks physicality in the trenches and for a team that wants to be in shotgun and spread the field hasnt had a QB to make the plays and get the weapons the ball.
KYHSFB Wrote:Or Ashland, or Greenup in their district.

Actually, bookmark this post- East Carter will beat them next year.

Is it safe to assume you are picking GC next week to win at home? I believe that would be the first time ever in the series that GC won back to back games?
Meanwhile over in Ramland little brother is sticking it to the other BIGGER schools in the County year after year:biglmao:
Just a ? To the Russell posters is the offense too hard to understand or just not the talent to run it yet
EsseQuamVideri Wrote:Is it safe to assume you are picking GC next week to win at home? I believe that would be the first time ever in the series that GC won back to back games?

Anything can happen in a rivalry game. I haven't decided if I am going to make picks/predictions this year (personal thing) but if I did, I would lean GCs way as of now.
BuckeyeRam Wrote:Just a ? To the Russell posters is the offense too hard to understand or just not the talent to run it yet

Probably a little bit of both. They are definitely not soft upfront having seen practices I do believe system is kinda hard for some to grasp. The previous post is right they are one year away from being pretty good and 2 years away from being real good for a few years. The talent level has been down the past couple years and with injuries it has hurt a lot but mark it down it will turn around soon with the talent in the system
Lots of respect to Rhs program and I know a lot about that younger group great kids and some of them are put in to the flames this and wish them a very safe season
BuckeyeRam Wrote:Just a ? To the Russell posters is the offense too hard to understand or just not the talent to run it yet

Multiple teams in the area run that system, so the school with the highest test scores in the area should have no issue. That's not the problem.
Kyhsfb I agree to a degree and being young hurts as well
I like the changes that are being put in place this year. Moving Morris back to the defensive coordinator and TJ calling the offense may help a bit. Moving to the 3-4 from a 4-3 is interesting as well.
EsseQuamVideri Wrote:Russell is one year away from returning to a 3A power. Their biggest obstacle will remain Belfry.

No way. Russell not physical enough! No offensive identity. You all can keep calling delusional we will see who is right AGAIN when the dust settles.
So Russell gets first down in double wing formation but the spread gets hit in backfield every play? Hmm 🤔.... think I’d stick to going under center
Someone on an Ohio site says Wheelersburg dresses 134 players. Thats an insane amount for a small town like Wheelersburg.
Burg 31
Russell 6
Halftime
They dress 96
Does the burg play boys soccer?
I think burg plays soccer, Greenup County has them on the boys soccer schedule according to khsaa site.