Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expo Center
Warthog Wrote:Will pike and Floyd have enough votes to keep it at the expo

Yes!
Belfry, Phelps, Pike Co Central, Pikeville, Shelby Valley and East Ridge make up Pike Co. While Betsy Layne, Prestonsburg and Floyd Central make up Floyd Co. That is 9 out the 15 eams in the region. 15-9=6, That is the majority!

I agree it needs to be moved back to the high schools. However, it will take a drastic change to get it out of the Expo Center.
region Wrote:As long as Pike and Floyd vote together it will be at Expo, even if they don't the commissioner picks post season sites. Guess where he will pick?

The Expo also guarantees $50,000, no way they make that at high schools.

I would like it back at high schos too, but no way are people going to show up in any numbers at Magoffin Co., Lawrence Co., East Ride, Phelps, or South Floyd. It's just to far out of the way anymore.

IF, the Majority of the teams vote to have the region on a rotating basis, the commissioner is NOT likely to go against that.

The Expo may say they are giving out $50K, but in all reality that is not what is divided among the schools. That maybe a starting price, then all expenses are subtracted from that before money is given out. Each school may get around 1,500.

You don't have to have the region at those schools! But, you would be surprised at the amount of people that would show up no matter where it was held.

I think you pick out 1 school from each district, rotate every 3 years. Pike Co host 1/3 and give money just to the schools that make the region.

57th- Johnson Central
58th- Floyd Central
59th- Shelby Valley
60th- Pike Co Central
Leave it at the Expo!! Big Venue's help when the Winners advance to the State!
Everyone wants the 15th in the schools, until its Phelps' turn to host. Really? Leave it at the expo.
Real Badman Wrote:Everyone wants the 15th in the schools, until its Phelps' turn to host. Really? Leave it at the expo.

Honestly..... when was the last time Phelps hosted the 15th Region?

2006-Present - Expo Center
2005 - Shelby Valley
2004 - Prestonsburg
2003 - Johnson Central
2002 - Pike County Central
2001 - Shelby Valley
2000 - Allen Central
1999 - Johnson Central
1998 - Elkhorn City

^^^^^^^^^
Here are the last 19 years of 15th Region host sites.... and Phelps has not hosted.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Sports72 Wrote:Leave it at the Expo!! Big Venue's help when the Winners advance to the State!

Region 1 - @ Murray State
Region 2 - @ Hopkins County Central
Region 3 - @ Owensboro Sportscenter
Region 4 - @ WKU
Region 5 - @ Nelson County
Region 6 - @ Various Sites /@ Valley for Semi Finals & Finals
Region 7 - @ Various Sites /@ Valley for Semi Finals & Finals
Region 8 - @ Henry County
Region 9 - @ BB&T Bank Arena
Region 10 - @ Montgomery County
Region 11 - @ EKU
Region 12 - @ Pulaski County
Region 13 - @ Corbin Arena
Region 14 - @ Knott County Central
Region 15 - @ East KY. Expo Center
Region 16 - @ Morehead State U

8 of the regions are played in a high school gym....
The other 8 regions are played in an arena or a multi-purpose venue.
Baseball Man Wrote:IF, the Majority of the teams vote to have the region on a rotating basis, the commissioner is NOT likely to go against that.

The Expo may say they are giving out $50K, but in all reality that is not what is divided among the schools. That maybe a starting price, then all expenses are subtracted from that before money is given out. Each school may get around 1,500.

You don't have to have the region at those schools! But, you would be surprised at the amount of people that would show up no matter where it was held.

I think you pick out 1 school from each district, rotate every 3 years. Pike Co host 1/3 and give money just to the schools that make the region.

57th- Johnson Central
58th- Floyd Central
59th- Shelby Valley
60th- Pike Co Central

No, it's more like $1,600 each team in region, $3,200 each school.

The commissioner will go with the Expo, if you think otherwise then you have not paid attention to what has been happened in Pike Co.

Pike Co. Rules the roost, with Perry and Knott when it comes to KHSAA east of Lexington.
These are my opinions of the eight schools that could host the 15th region...... as of THIS SEASON.

57th: Johnson Central.
58th: Prestonsburg & Allen Central.
59th: Pikeville & Shelby Valley.
60th: Pike County Central, Lawrence County & Belfry.

The underlined are my preference.

Floyd Central, Magoffin County & Sheldon Clark are getting new schools. So after those schools are completed and we get to see the size of their gyms and their parking situation, my list could change.
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:Pburg also has parking over the hill from the gym, and also on the other side of the gym behind the football bleachers. All of which would be closer than walking from the bank at Pikeville.

As far as seating goes, Pburg recently renovated there gym and have some seating with backs. Not to mention Pburg gym I believe seats more than Pikeville.

I personally see pro's and con's for both the expo and the school's, but thought I would defend mine lol.
I had forgotten about the parking over the hill behind the gym. However, the walking distance is NOT that much different than from the bank. Bank to the front door of Pikeville HS is no more than approximately 150 yards.
region Wrote:No, it's more like $1,600 each team in region, $3,200 each school.

The commissioner will go with the Expo, if you think otherwise then you have not paid attention to what has been happened in Pike Co.

Pike Co. Rules the roost, with Perry and Knott when it comes to KHSAA east of Lexington.

I don't know how each school gets $3,200! You are dividing $50k by the 16 teams in the region. They are expenses that come out of that 50k BEFORE anything is divided out, (ie Refs, Media needs, Cost to host at Expo, throphies ect...) Community Trust Bank is the title sponsor and they do not give 50k. So, a lot of money is still unaccounted for and with the economy the way it is in our area I am thinking they are not a lot of big sponsors out there anymore. Tickets, Shirts Programs and other sponsorships try to make up the difference you are speaking too. Plus the winner of the region receives 1,000 both boys and girls for expenses. The Expo gets all Concessions. I hope each school gets $3k+ each but, I think the $1,500 is more accurate, but it isn't worth arguing over!

I see what you mean by certain areas ruling the roost, but the commissioner works well with our board of controls. My opinion is that IF the majority of the schools were to vote to rotate the region it would not be overturned. However, in order for that to happen Pike or Floyd would have to separate themselves from the other, which NEVER happens.
As a longtime high school basketball fan I have been to many regional tournaments over the years and my least favorite is the Expo because there is no atmosphere, its cold, and the concession are way to high but the only way it will be moved is if the 58th district school break away from Pike County when it comes to vote on this matter but there little chance of that ever happening . Bringing it back to the high schools would be the best for this region.
The only cool thing about the Expo center are the banners hanging for the former and current 15th region schools.

Other than that.... it is terrible.
Real Badman Wrote:Everyone wants the 15th in the schools, until its Phelps' turn to host. Really? Leave it at the expo.

Phelps has never hosted the BOYs 15th Regional Tournament!
I remember the Girls being there way back in the 80's but according to KHSAA site, never the boys.

I also know they are several other schools that has not as well. Not picking on Phelps. But this point was made and just wanted to point out it was a non issue since they were not considered in the past so why would they now.
Sports72 Wrote:Leave it at the Expo!! Big Venue's help when the Winners advance to the State!

2006-2015: 15th Region won 5 games at the State Tournament. Region @ Expo.

1996-2005: 15th Region won 11 games at the State Tournament. Region @ Schools.

The ability to advance by winning games at the State Tournament is dependent upon:
1) Team talent level.
2) Luck of the Draw.
3) Coach preparing for that Shock & Aw effect.

Not where the Regional Tournament is played at!! If, that were the case then you would only have 8 schools in the running for a State Tournament as only 8 of the 16 Regions play their championships in a Big Venue.
Baseball Man Wrote:2006-2015: 15th Region won 5 games at the State Tournament. Region @ Expo.

The ability to advance by winning games at the State Tournament is dependent upon:
1) Team talent level.
2) Luck of the Draw.

Not where the Regional Tournament is played at!! If, that were the case then you would only have 8 schools in the running for a State Tournament as only 8 of the 16 Regions play their championships in a Big Venue.

From 06-15
SV has 5 wins at Rupp
JC has 1 win at Rupp
Paintsville has 1 win at Rupp
7 total wins
Warthog Wrote:From 06-15
SV has 5 wins at Rupp
JC has 1 win at Rupp
Paintsville has 1 win at Rupp
7 total wins

Yes that is correct 7, my mistake with 5!
Baseball Man Wrote:2006-2015: 15th Region won 7 games at the State Tournament. Region @ Expo.

1) Team talent level.
2) Luck of the Draw.

Point is just because you play the region at the Expo doesn't determine how well you do at the State Tournament.
Baseball Man Wrote:Point is just because you play the region at the Expo doesn't determine how well you do at the State Tournament.

I see what you are saying, but I like where region winner gets 3 games on college floor before Rupp.
I would like to see the 15 th regional tournament stay at the Expo with all teams included..... Do away with the districts and have the finest regional in the state!!!
Warthog Wrote:I see what you are saying, but I like where region winner gets 3 games on college floor before Rupp.

Good point!
I don't exactly mind Expo hosting. They just need to get better at it. Rope off some of the top sections. They do that for concerts so why not basketball games? It would at least condense the crowd. Lower your concession prices. Quantity sold will make up for the drop in price. Market this event better... get the area excited again. Give away bigger prizes than a t-shirt during a half time shooting contest. Hutch Chevrolet would probably give away a car at some point during the tournament if the marketing was done properly. Make the amenities better for all parties involved. Find ways to make people WANT to be in there. It can be done.
Just spoke to a Floyd County AD. Money breakdown of region tournament at EXPO:
Guarantee of minimum $50k payout
50% of ticket sales over $50k
100% of sponsorship used to pay for refs, trophies, awards, team travel, team meals, championship team money and tournament managers
Hosting district keeps proceeds of t-shirts and programs
I will wait and see how much the check is that comes this year. Every year it has been at the Expo they put out these numbers or realtively close. Yet, when all is said and done $1,600 is the average in 10 yrs.
K40 Wrote:I don't exactly mind Expo hosting. They just need to get better at it. Rope off some of the top sections. They do that for concerts so why not basketball games? It would at least condense the crowd. Lower your concession prices. Quantity sold will make up for the drop in price. Market this event better... get the area excited again. Give away bigger prizes than a t-shirt during a half time shooting contest. Hutch Chevrolet would probably give away a car at some point during the tournament if the marketing was done properly. Make the amenities better for all parties involved. Find ways to make people WANT to be in there. It can be done.

Good post. Right on the money.
Ive drove by the new Floyd central site several times recently..Its way to early to tell but Id bet its going to have a lot of parking and its a big structure so far..I know that haul field they are building it in is big, I use to hunt it all the time..
Each school has received anywhere between $3200 and $4200--depends on attendance. Expo guarantees schools $50,000 plus percentage over that amount---if attendance is there. I don't think the Expo will want that claus in the next contract. The schools can ill afford to have it in the Expo for nothing when they can have it in the schools and split among all schools. The KHSAA will not override the schools and force them to take a hit on revenue. Sponsorship money pays expenses for trophies, officials, team travel, team meals, and winning team gets $1000 to help with state tournament expenses. I have seen the contract. Any sponsorship money that is left over is split amoung all 15th region schools, which is very little. Officials this year alone cost between $5,000 and $6000. Trophies around $3000-$4000. Hospitality room was costing between $10K and $12K. Expo couldn't afford to pay, schools couldn't either. If schools pay then your are taking money that most schools desperately need to help fund athletics. Therefore, it was eliminated. Contract is up after next year. To be honest the votes are there to take it back to the schools. Things might change before that decision is made. One of the duties of the 15th region policy board is to SELECT a tournament site.
I will weigh in on this...

Personally, I like having it in the Expo. There is plenty of room, comfortable seats, and tons of parking a 5 minute walk away. I honestly don't care about the concession prices because I eat at my house before I come to the game. The atmosphere is what it is because of attendance. If there's a lot of fans (thnk back to 2008 semifinal between Valley and Paintsville), the place is rocking. If not, then it's not going to matter what arena it's in.

That said, if the consensus is to move it back to the schools, then it should be ALL the schools. No one should get to say one school's gym is good enough and another's is not. Rotate hosting by district in 4-year cycles, each district gets it every 4th year. Then within each district, rotate among all the teams so all schools get their turn. Even Phelps.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I tonight it was a great night last night at the expo .
I personally like having the regional tournament at the Expo. The concession prices are out of the roof. Other then then that I think it's a great host. People like to say the atmosphere is terrible. But i disagree. Last night it was a great atmosphere. Especially during the Magoffin and South Floyd game. It's on the fans mostly imo with the atmosphere. I've noticed more fans from other county's like JC and Magoffin. South Floyd and Lawrence etc. More of those fans are coming out then the local Pike County Teams. Pikeville didn't have many fans there at all in their boys or girls games. Belfry had a decent crowd but was still outnumbered from JC fans. If those fans don't even want to come to a local facility to support the teams I don't think they'd be willing to travel to other schools. That's just my opinion.