Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tri County 2015 Football Awards - Times Tribune
Single Wing 77 Wrote:Knox central was better than both.

My apologies, I wasn't aware Knox Central was in the coverage area. I'd probably have to agree with you
RicFlair Wrote:My apologies, I wasn't aware Knox Central was in the coverage area. I'd probably have to agree with you

Whitley, Knox, Laurel
Les Dixon is really a joke!!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Living The Dream!!
The one person who I beleieve got snubbed in this was Harley Lambert from Corbin. he should have been defensive player of the year hands down.
He was already named 3a district 8 player of the year by the Kentucky Football Coaches Association. Neither of the North Laurel players even made the list.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Living The Dream!!
I've heard that the Corbin Times-Tribune doesn't include Corbin in their name any longer and their sports section on Saturday is on a rotation whether or not a team has (Corbin or whoever) has a big win, won't even be the main story. What a shame! London has a newspaper that covers London/Laurel County...why does a Corbin paper feel they need to cover London? and give them more coverage than Corbin? I'm fine with it because I don't need them for their gossip...3 people being arrested for meth in Laurel County isn't what sells papers anymore, h ell that happens about everyday...If I want to read about London I will buy the echo, if I want to read about Williamsburg (or Corbin) I will buy the News Journal (Corbin Last Week) Barbourville has the advocate...I appreciate the TT wanting to cover everything, but is their really a need? Heck, move to London...most people in Corbin have cancelled anyway.
panther nation Wrote:The one person who I beleieve got snubbed in this was Harley Lambert from Corbin. he should have been defensive player of the year hands down.
He was already named 3a district 8 player of the year by the Kentucky Football Coaches Association. Neither of the North Laurel players even made the list.

What? That was just 3a voting on that. Lambert, had 50 tackles on the year, the Mcwhorter kid had 175 tackles on the year. You have to be realistic.
campbellfield Wrote:I've heard that the Corbin Times-Tribune doesn't include Corbin in their name any longer and their sports section on Saturday is on a rotation whether or not a team has (Corbin or whoever) has a big win, won't even be the main story. What a shame! London has a newspaper that covers London/Laurel County...why does a Corbin paper feel they need to cover London? and give them more coverage than Corbin? I'm fine with it because I don't need them for their gossip...3 people being arrested for meth in Laurel County isn't what sells papers anymore, h ell that happens about everyday...If I want to read about London I will buy the echo, if I want to read about Williamsburg (or Corbin) I will buy the News Journal (Corbin Last Week) Barbourville has the advocate...I appreciate the TT wanting to cover everything, but is their really a need? Heck, move to London...most people in Corbin have cancelled anyway.

That is strictly your opinion, people following tri-county sports like the Times-Tribune because all those area teams get some of the action. People I talk to sure thought Corbin got plenty of pen time in the Times-Tribune.
campbellfield Wrote:I don't think Corbin deserved any of the awards...I just think it could have been spread around a little more. Sizemore isn't a newcomer by my definition, not sure what they define a newcomer as though. I quit subscribing to that paper a looong time ago due to their bias.

I thought a newcomer was a player that was playing a position in high school for the first time?! Yes, no, maybe? :Thumbs:
Special Team Wrote:I thought a newcomer was a player that was playing a position in high school for the first time?! Yes, no, maybe? :Thumbs:

The bigger college teams criteria for this award denotes:

Player who Demonstrates excellence in overall job performance, skills in a new position. I would think that award would be close to that criteria.
Special Team Wrote:I thought a newcomer was a player that was playing a position in high school for the first time?! Yes, no, maybe? :Thumbs:

I would think a newcomer is a newcomer at a starting positions. Geez good lord!!!! Maybe next year Times Tribune will name honorable mentions. :igiveup:
panther nation Wrote:The one person who I beleieve got snubbed in this was Harley Lambert from Corbin. he should have been defensive player of the year hands down.
You mean from London, North even but played for Corbin
campbellfield Wrote:I don't think Corbin deserved any of the awards...I just think it could have been spread around a little more. Sizemore isn't a newcomer by my definition, not sure what they define a newcomer as though. I quit subscribing to that paper a looong time ago due to their bias.

please give us YOUR definition of newcomer, I'm curious. I guess they should have called it freshman of the year award and gave it to JR.Confusednicker:

Cherokee's definition.
a non starter with limited or no playing time from the previous year, that becomes a factor or a key part of a successful team the following year.
HG_Bullfrogs Wrote:You mean from London, North even but played for Corbin

Really? Did not know that!
panther nation Wrote:Les Dixon is really a joke!!!!

:please:
Blitzer Wrote:Really? Did not know that!

Yes he played with this senior bunch at NL up till 9th grade maybe even as freshman. He was big force on middle school championship.
But Corbin has had so many Laurel County kids I can't even remember them all so it's no surprise.
Pretty silly I think thinking dalton should be over Cole McWhorter, Cole is a first year starter went 9-0 in first 9 starts and has pretty crazy numbers considering his running back was leading scorer in state not just 5A and leading rusher
Look, my issue is not with the kids who got the awards. My issue is that 70% of the awards went to north laurel in some way, shape, form, or fashion. When it was convenient for north, les was all about giving each and every team some recognition. Like last year. Kicker of the year? Really? Corbin and Williamsburg both had better kickers than north last year. But if he had too, les would have given out "backup right guard of the year" to get north on the list. As far as newcomer of the year goes both kids are very deserving of the award as is the cook kid from Lynn camp. And the Arthur kid from Knox central. I do however wish some of our parents would realize that the team is bigger then their son. GO REDHOUNDS!!!!!!
Blitzer Wrote:Ok, I was looking at something else got that score mixed up. You think North is made out of steel and rubber and doesn't get banged up? You would be amazed at the level of pain all these kids play thru not just Corbin and Southwestern. Those North kids deserve these awards this year no one involved cares what happened 10 years ago!

No when I say banged up I mean kids were out, not sore. Four starters is big for any team, which is what was out for Corbin. I also believe that southwesterns best offensive player was out against north too.
Single Wing 77 Wrote:No when I say banged up I mean kids were out, not sore. Four starters is big for any team, which is what was out for Corbin. I also believe that southwesterns best offensive player was out against north too.

Out....you want to tall out of the game for good. NL's Senior WR-DW, was out the last 3 games of the season. #28 Burkhardt, a Sophomore took his spot. It wasn't talked up, because you have to suck those injuries up & continue on, every team does it!
Single Wing 77 Wrote:Look, my issue is not with the kids who got the awards. My issue is that 70% of the awards went to north laurel in some way, shape, form, or fashion. When it was convenient for north, les was all about giving each and every team some recognition. Like last year. Kicker of the year? Really? Corbin and Williamsburg both had better kickers than north last year. But if he had too, les would have given out "backup right guard of the year" to get north on the list. As far as newcomer of the year goes both kids are very deserving of the award as is the cook kid from Lynn camp. And the Arthur kid from Knox central. I do however wish some of our parents would realize that the team is bigger then their son. GO REDHOUNDS!!!!!!

My point is if the stats back those awards up which they did, they should have had them. Only fair.
Single Wing 77 Wrote:Look, my issue is not with the kids who got the awards. My issue is that 70% of the awards went to north laurel in some way, shape, form, or fashion. When it was convenient for north, les was all about giving each and every team some recognition. Like last year. Kicker of the year? Really? Corbin and Williamsburg both had better kickers than north last year. But if he had too, les would have given out "backup right guard of the year" to get north on the list. As far as newcomer of the year goes both kids are very deserving of the award as is the cook kid from Lynn camp. And the Arthur kid from Knox central. I do however wish some of our parents would realize that the team is bigger then their son. GO REDHOUNDS!!!!!!

Better than Norths kicker last year?
Doubt it, there you lost all credibility
HG_Bullfrogs Wrote:Better than Norths kicker last year?
Doubt it, there you lost all credibility

I checked stats. I misspoke about the Corbin kickers. I forgot that the canineau brothers split
Time last year. I could still swear that they kicked some field goals last year. Williamsburgs kicker however scored 25 more points than norths last year and was the best kicker in school history.
Single Wing 77 Wrote:I checked stats. I misspoke about the Corbin kickers. I forgot that the canineau brothers split
Time last year. I could still swear that they kicked some field goals last year. Williamsburgs kicker however scored 25 more points than norths last year and was the best kicker in school history.

He may have kicked more extra points he played in 4 more games but for four years NLs kicker Kennedy was $$$ on extra points and scored I'd bet 60 points or lore every year for 4 years and kicked way more field goals than Williamsburg kicker. How come he didn't play as a freshman and only a few games his sophomore year?
Blitzer Wrote:My point is if the stats back those awards up which they did, they should have had them. Only fair.

And my point is that this is the only year that the stats have backed them up yet north has always received awards from Les Dixon. But campbellfield has a really good point. There is definitely a market for a Corbin newspaper. Since the times-tribune is so interested in being a "tri-county" paper.
HG_Bullfrogs Wrote:He may have kicked more extra points he played in 4 more games but for four years NLs kicker Kennedy was $$$ on extra points and scored I'd bet 60 points or lore every year for 4 years and kicked way more field goals than Williamsburg kicker. How come he didn't play as a freshman and only a few games his sophomore year?

You say that now but three posts ago things like that didn't matter. "The stats back them up". Plus it wasn't a "kicking career" award it was kicker of the year. Patrick scored more points. End of story. But that didn't matter because the kid was from north and les wanted to throw them a bone. We have to pick one argument or the other here. Either stats, matter or the circumstances matter. Those kids from north had all those stats against the second weakest schedule in the tri county area. Sizemore would have had 1000 more total yards if Corbin had played south laurel twice.
Single Wing 77 Wrote:You say that now but three posts ago things like that didn't matter. "The stats back them up". Plus it wasn't a "kicking career" award it was kicker of the year. Patrick scored more points. End of story. But that didn't matter because the kid was from north and les wanted to throw them a bone. We have to pick one argument or the other here. Either stats, matter or the circumstances matter. Those kids from north had all those stats against the second weakest schedule in the tri county area. Sizemore would have had 1000 more total yards if Corbin had played south laurel twice.
Firstly I'm not arguing it's a good debate
But you do realize that Nelson and company also didn't get half he stats they could've gotten if thy played more than 2-3 quarters also.
Bottom line is schedule didn't matter it never does because in the end NL was good enough to play in state game but Pulaski won out in four full quarters but those four points wouldn't have mattered if NL had played the tough test schedule.
And it was obvious from thread hay Highlands couldn't stop the run.
I don't think NL could play at all with Bowling Green though.
Anyway is Les a NL grad because I never knew him to be a homer toward NL
I'd have to see past couple years worth of awards to even debate that.
I do understand kids coming out in the third quarter. Happens a few times every season for good teams. I don't think north could have went to highlands and beat them. I do however think that within the next two to three years they'll get their chance. After this senior class at Pulaski graduates that region is wide open. If they continue on their current trajectory they could very well be competing for the state title game very soon. I'd like to see the redhounds and the jags renew their series. I honestly hope for nothing but the best for north going forward. Every young man on this list is an awesome football player. Any team would be lucky to have them. I hope they all get the opportunity to play college football.
I too was surprised by the omission of Harley Lambert. But I follow Corbin, so I am probably biased. The running joke in Corbin is that the paper is called the ABC(Anybody But Corbin) Times Tribune.
Congrats to all
A lot of posters only know what the team they watch has accomplished, part of what lends interest to this thread. Some I can tell are finding out info about other teams (players) they didn't even know. Makes for interesting reading!
I would think if Les had a bias and wanted to spread things around to all teams, then South Laurel would have had some manufactured awards. That is after all where Les's daughter goes to school and is a very talented member of their softball team.