Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Russell
15.00%
Ashland
85.00%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell @ Ashland 9/12
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:We can't beat you so we will whine about you. Honestly these are high school sports and we are most adults noone should hate any school over any of this.

Is this the best argument that you can conger up?
Ashland's glory days are long gone and in the rear view mirror. Yes, Ashland used to have dominant sports teams back in the day but this is a new age and Ashland can't cut without an influx of transfers. Not whining at all just stating the obvious and by the way noone, should be no one. I am sure they probably taught you that at Blazer.
I for one root for Ashland. I have friends who play for Ashland so to dislike or hate them is not an option. I will on the other hand smack talk the kittens in a feverish way...lol....but I don't hate them in the least. We are different classes so why not root for them.
But Dickey Martin does chaff me royally. Lol
Mr. E. Mann Wrote:Is this the best argument that you can conger up?
Ashland's glory days are long gone and in the rear view mirror. Yes, Ashland used to have dominant sports teams back in the day but this is a new age and Ashland can't cut without an influx of transfers. Not whining at all just stating the obvious and by the way noone, should be no one. I am sure they probably taught you that at Blazer.
I never said these were ashlands glory days. I said you were whining like someone who can't beat us. It would be like me saying the filth of ft Thomas tarnishes the rest of the state. Seriously I hope you are still in school. Cause to say you hate a High School as an adult is just petty.
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:I never said these were ashlands glory days. I said you were whining like someone who can't beat us. It would be like me saying the filth of ft Thomas tarnishes the rest of the state. Seriously I hope you are still in school. Cause to say you hate a High School as an adult is just petty.

You are being very defensive, aren't you. No need for you to imply that there is "filth" at FTH that "tarnishes the state". I would suggest that, so far as government schools go, FTH is very close to being the top school in the Commonwealth. Ashland had its "glory years" back in the 1920s and 1930s. That was 80 years ago. Ashland is now just an also ran. --
I've read a lot of posts on here. But, I must say that the two posts above made by Mr. E. Mann are undoubtedly the two most dead center of the target posts I have ever read concerning Ashland and its athletic program. I have no idea as to the identity of Mr. E. Mann but I will say, without any equivocation, that he nailed them perfectly. He also nails Russell quite well as well as the other schools in the area who sit around with their thumbs up their butts and let Ashland and Russell whine and turn those other schools in to KHSAA at the drop of a hat but, when the shoe is clearly on the other foot, do nothing.
I see a lot of sour grapes coming from Mr Rex.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:You are being very defensive, aren't you. No need for you to imply that there is "filth" at FTH that "tarnishes the state". I would suggest that, so far as government schools go, FTH is very close to being the top school in the Commonwealth. Ashland had its "glory years" back in the 1920s and 1930s. That was 80 years ago. Ashland is now just an also ran. --
wasn't implying that at all. It was sarcasm to prove a point. Actually have great respect and root for the program of highlands on most occasions. I figured if you were gonna troll me it would've been on the acknowledgement that Ashland wasn't beating them anytime soon.
WOW... Now I understand a little better. I had no idea that Ashland was the villain and turning in other schools.
Let me make something very clear. I do not hate anyone but I sure do hate the arrogant attitude of the elite club Phi Kappa Blazer. You people sicken me almost as much as Rose Hill did with your hypocritical intellect and how everyone of you seems to be sports gurus. So, enlighten me oh great one of utopia, just how many transfers are on the roster this year?
Ashland by 3 scores
Ashland 42
Russell 13

:HitWall:
DevilWatcher Wrote:I see a lot of sour grapes coming from Mr Rex.

No. You see a lot of truth that is not difficult to confirm. There could be no "sour grapes" concerning Russell because Russell hasn't accomplished anything of significance in a long time. Of course, the same is even more true with Ashland.
Jeepman Wrote:WOW... Now I understand a little better. I had no idea that Ashland was the villain and turning in other schools.

You are, of course, making a "tongue in cheek" statement here, aren't you?
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:wasn't implying that at all. It was sarcasm to prove a point. Actually have great respect and root for the program of highlands on most occasions. I figured if you were gonna troll me it would've been on the acknowledgement that Ashland wasn't beating them anytime soon.

In the seasons to come, FTH won't be beating Ashland anymore. Nor will CovCath. Both FTH and CovCath, as you know, will move to Class 5A. Ashland will remain in a much weakened Class 4A. Thus, Ashland will not be playing either school in the playoffs. I feel certain that no regular season games involving Ashland and the other two schools will be scheduled. Such games would be of no benefit.

Actually, I didn't think you were taking a shot at FTH. However, one must defend even when there is uncertainty.
Tongue in cheek....hahahaha....be back later tonight I have a case to review...later!
Mr. E. Mann (Mystery Man)
this will be another long night for the evils
Mr. E. Mann Wrote:Let me make something very clear. I do not hate anyone but I sure do hate the arrogant attitude of the elite club Phi Kappa Blazer. You people sicken me almost as much as Rose Hill did with your hypocritical intellect and how everyone of you seems to be sports gurus. So, enlighten me oh great one of utopia, just how many transfers are on the roster this year?
probably the same as any other school. Yours included.
I think Ashland has a set of twins that transferred. I dont think there are anymore.
Ashland-42 Devils- 7

Same old Russell no identity on offense, mass confusion on defensive assignments, and just all around lack of physical play soft as cotton. I love Russell football, but what has been produced over the past 7 years is not the Russell Red Devils I once played for. Our streak will extend to our 7th straight defeat over the tomcats and a 10 year drought since we left Putnam stadium victors. Ashland too talented and to physical for the devils. LONG LIVE IVAN MCGLONE!!!
Let me put in my 2 cents worth. Ashland in its hay day 20s 30s 40s 50s 60s 70s was feared across the area and state. They traveled all over the state of Kentucky and beyond to play football. ( Trinity) Is Ashland still a power in the state, probably not but are not a slouch either. Ashland's population has gone from ballpark figures 40000 in late 60s to 17000 today. My Dad's 50 year class reunion is this weekend. He graduated in 64 and had 495 in his class. ( Wynona Judd was one of them) I graduated in 90, had 245 in my class. Ashland Oil is a shell of itself in this area with many jobs leaving for N. Kentucky and elsewhere. Armco is a skeleton of itself compared to when it was booming. Unlike the Eastern Kentucky towns who are losing jobs and families overnight to the War on Coal, Ashland is dying a slow slow death. You ask why we are hated by so many, because everyone wants or wanted to be like us. I have many many friends who went to other area schools and to a man most would loved to gone to Ashland. I have no idea if Ashland turned in Fairview or anyone else for cheating or whatever else but I hope not. Ashland is the benchmark in this area in football, basketball, baseball, checkers, chess or anything else and everyone wants to try and beat us. That's the way it's been since I've been on this earth and hopefully the way it is when I'm gone.
T-CATS Wrote:Let me put in my 2 cents worth. Ashland in its hay day 20s 30s 40s 50s 60s 70s was feared across the area and state. They traveled all over the state of Kentucky and beyond to play football. ( Trinity) Is Ashland still a power in the state, probably not but are not a slouch either. Ashland's population has gone from ballpark figures 40000 in late 60s to 17000 today. My Dad's 50 year class reunion is this weekend. He graduated in 64 and had 495 in his class. ( Wynona Judd was one of them) I graduated in 90, had 245 in my class. Ashland Oil is a shell of itself in this area with many jobs leaving for N. Kentucky and elsewhere. Armco is a skeleton of itself compared to when it was booming. Unlike the Eastern Kentucky towns who are losing jobs and families overnight to the War on Coal, Ashland is dying a slow slow death. You ask why we are hated by so many, because everyone wants or wanted to be like us. I have many many friends who went to other area schools and to a man most would loved to gone to Ashland. I have no idea if Ashland turned in Fairview or anyone else for cheating or whatever else but I hope not. Ashland is the benchmark in this area in football, basketball, baseball, checkers, chess or anything else and everyone wants to try and beat us. That's the way it's been since I've been on this earth and hopefully the way it is when I'm gone.
very accuarate post. There is a reason the whole area is buzzing when Ashland and Ironton clash they are top dogs in this area no doubt. Unfortunately both are not the state powers they used to be those days are probably gone.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:You are, of course, making a "tongue in cheek" statement here, aren't you?

No not at all. I have lived here only 15 years. I had no idea that this type of behavior existed. I guess if another team is doing something wrong and violates the rules of the game and Ashland has knowledge of it they should turn then in. What I don't understand is why a storied program like Ashland would not just stay out of it. I guess I would say that it is honorable that the other teams in the are take the high road.
T-CATS Wrote:Let me put in my 2 cents worth. Ashland in its hay day 20s 30s 40s 50s 60s 70s was feared across the area and state. They traveled all over the state of Kentucky and beyond to play football. ( Trinity) Is Ashland still a power in the state, probably not but are not a slouch either. Ashland's population has gone from ballpark figures 40000 in late 60s to 17000 today. My Dad's 50 year class reunion is this weekend. He graduated in 64 and had 495 in his class. ( Wynona Judd was one of them) I graduated in 90, had 245 in my class. Ashland Oil is a shell of itself in this area with many jobs leaving for N. Kentucky and elsewhere. Armco is a skeleton of itself compared to when it was booming. Unlike the Eastern Kentucky towns who are losing jobs and families overnight to the War on Coal, Ashland is dying a slow slow death. You ask why we are hated by so many, because everyone wants or wanted to be like us. I have many many friends who went to other area schools and to a man most would loved to gone to Ashland. I have no idea if Ashland turned in Fairview or anyone else for cheating or whatever else but I hope not. Ashland is the benchmark in this area in football, basketball, baseball, checkers, chess or anything else and everyone wants to try and beat us. That's the way it's been since I've been on this earth and hopefully the way it is when I'm gone.
:argue: Keep thinking that, the truth is Russell is the top dog around here if the parents want a school who has great academics and good sports teams.:devilflam
Ashland 34 - Russell 21

Take your two cents and travel back in time to GC Murphys and buy some bazooka Joe bubble gum. You prove my point with your egotistical rash choice of words. I have never had a desire to be Ashlandite. Benchmark is long gone. Ashlandites live in the past. If you don't believe me just read the paper. All the ADI does is write about the glory years, why? Because over the last 20 years Ashland has done just about zilch in their sports programs. Maybe we can get an aluminum statue of Buddy Biggs erected in the near future.
GOREDDEVILS Wrote::argue: Keep thinking that, the truth is Russell is the top dog around here if the parents want a school who has great academics and good sports teams.:devilflam

Academics...is over rated at Russell. Academic team is staged. Been to several academic dramas...amazing how Russell knows all the answers way before the question is even half way finished. State needs to look into that. Like I stated in an earlier post...Ashland and Russell are married cousins.
Mr. E. Mann Wrote:Academics...is over rated at Russell. Academic team is staged. Been to several academic dramas...amazing how Russell knows all the answers way before the question is even half way finished. State needs to look into that. Like I stated in an earlier post...Ashland and Russell are married cousins.
So what school do you root for?:biglmao:
As I posted earlier, Mr. E. Mann's two posts summed up the Ashland situation (and touched well on the Russell situation) as truthfully as I have seen in print.

Now, T-CATS comes along and posts the near perfect description of the way Ashland fans see their athletic program. The truth is that Ashlanders have always had a superiority complex. They have always exaggerated their school's accomplishments and minimized their school's failures. For example, I find it completely unbelievable that students of other area schools "longed" to be at Ashland. I can't even make that statement about my favorites, FTH and CovCath and I suspect that even T-CATS will admit that those two have, athletically and academically, left Ashland in the dust.

As a historian, I know that Ashland excelled in the late 1920s and early to mid 1930s. They did nothing of note in the 1940s and 1950s. From that time to 1990, there were threads of success but not of the stature that Ashlanders would want you to believe. Since that time, the last near quarter of a century, there has been nothing. Zero.

Ashlanders are, I believe, living in a fantasy world. I have been told on several occasions that, if you could buy Ashland's history for what it is worth and sell it for what Ashlanders think it is worth, you could completely wipe out the national debt with your profits.

I post this not to degrade Ashland fans. I do it to add a little truth to the discussion.
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:So what school do you root for?:biglmao:
I'm sure it is one with an impecable moral record.