Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best assistant coach in the 15th
3 points Wrote:The boys Newsome coached are all eligble to play all 4 years of high school ball. Therefore you must be wrong. You know nothing!!! When you find a bunch of 18 year old eighth graders, let us know and bring 'em on. Love to play you and your team.

well i know a while back in the mid 90's.. when i played Jr. high ball.. when my team played Virgie in the county tournament, I seen 2 of Virgies starters actually drive to the game........ so they had to at least be 16... IMO.. they should have been in high school..
mrfootball03 Wrote:well i know a while back in the mid 90's.. when i played Jr. high ball.. when my team played Virgie in the county tournament, I seen 2 of Virgies starters actually drive to the game........ so they had to at least be 16... IMO.. they should have been in high school..

That really doesnt mean that much. I was driving on the road when I was 14. Things used to be much more laxed there than they are now. I just think it will be interesting to see how many gets held back now because they wont be allowed to play their second year in the same grade. Lets see if the numbers stay the same as they have in years past.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
Darrin Rice and Tommy Mckenzie-JC
J.R. Vanhoose-PHS
Denny May-PHS
Im gonna say SF...simply b/c there is so many of them how could they not be good...lol...j/k....but seriously, they do have a good staff and assitant coaches
I've heard that Byron Hall will be helping coach at Allen Central this season as well. I've also heard that Rady is gonna be coaching South Floyd freshmen team but im not 100 percent sure on that.
Faith Wrote:Your right they were 15 and 16 but the point is that anyone can win with talent like that. You are also right when you say I don't like Greg Newsome. He is out to get the SV job and anyone thinks any different is an idiot. No one in the community likes him!
They were 14 and 15. And you may be right about the talent, but I don't think any coach could beat the teams they beat.
I would say Denny May is the best coach. The good thing about Denny is that he doesn't have intentions of being a head coach so he will be a huge asset.
I've noticed that about Denny May. I'm sure if his assistant's would've helped him like he's helped others, he would've had more success as a head coach. He does prove to be a team player. What an example for kids. He shows alot of character.
hootie Wrote:I would say Denny May is the best coach. The good thing about Denny is that he doesn't have intentions of being a head coach so he will be a huge asset.

I agree hootie. The best assistants usually are the ones that want to be assistants and not head coaches. That way they are there to help and not to cut the head coach.
everyone may not like his style, but Newsome from valley knows his stuff.
My vote goes to Denny May. PHS:letsparty:letsparty
HazzBeen Wrote:I agree hootie. The best assistants usually are the ones that want to be assistants and not head coaches. That way they are there to help and not to cut the head coach.

True, but I believe any good assistant must want to be a head coach. Shelby Valley has an assistant working with the girl's program...basketball and softball...and he is a terrific assistant coach who wants to be a head coach. One day, he will be a very sound head coach. Assistants who "cut" their way to the top lack two key character traits...Loyalty and Respect for the game! Thus, they are destined to fail!!! Johnnie Alvin possesses both of these characteristics!:Thumbs:
For what they get paid compared to the hours they put in they are all great.
My vote goes to Todd May at Pikeville. He is a great person, knows the game and most importantly the players respect him. Bart has brought that back to Pikeville Basketball and it has been and will be evident in the years to come.
My vote still goes to Greg Newsome. He knows the game better than anyone and he can get the best out of his players. Look at how good he did as a middle school coach. Now he can do that good as an assistant coach under coach Booher.
I BELIEVE THAT IT IS MATT RATLIFF AT PAINTSVILLE. HE WAS A BIG PART OF THE CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM THEY HAD THERE IN 96. IF IT WASNT FOR HIM THEY WOULDNT BEEN ABLE TO GET THE BALL UP THE FLOOR AGAINST LC HE IS A GREAT COACH. ALSO HE WILL BE THE NEXT COACH AT PAINTSVILLE:rockon:
MR is a good one. Will be a dandy head coach. I have coached and played against him!
Faith Wrote:Your right they were 15 and 16 but the point is that anyone can win with talent like that. You are also right when you say I don't like Greg Newsome. He is out to get the SV job and anyone thinks any different is an idiot. No one in the community likes him!
I agree 110%....most of Virgie's players are around 15 or 16...thats why when they graduate from Valley they are 19 or 20.
Todd May Pikeville!!!
Rady Martin was at AC now he's at South Floyd. When/if he gets a head coaching job he be a very successful coach.
clipperw Wrote:I've heard that Byron Hall will be helping coach at Allen Central this season as well. I've also heard that Rady is gonna be coaching South Floyd freshmen team but im not 100 percent sure on that.

I haven't seen or heard of Byron being around the basketball court- but he is listed as assistant coach for AC's baseball team.
Very interesting to hear about Byron, He had mentioned helping Johnny Martin this season, He's also the head coach for Alice Lloyds Junior Varsity whose season should be underway right now or will be shortly. Maybe he will be around after that season ends.
Tommy McKenzie from JC is a great assistant coach.
ducky Wrote:Several good assistants I'm aware of. In no particular order I like Mckenzie at Johnson Central, Vanhoose at Paintsville and Trimble at Lawrence County.

I agree with you! Trimble dosen't deserve to be assistant of any basketball program. He deserves to be head coach of a team!!
DAWG_FAN Wrote:I agree with you! Trimble dosen't deserve to be assistant of any basketball program. He deserves to be head coach of a team!!
Yeah, I agree about Trimble.
You all are wearing blinders. Greg Newsome is the best assistant coach in the state. He is better than alot of head coaches in this region. Look what he did with Virgie Middle School. A state championship, a great AAU record with the East Kentucky Lightning team. How can any say he isnt the best?
DAWG_FAN Wrote:I agree with you! Trimble dosen't deserve to be assistant of any basketball program. He deserves to be head coach of a team!!
Is Trimble still at Lawrence Co.?
cardsfan Wrote:Darrin Rice and Tommy Mckenzie-JC
J.R. Vanhoose-PHS
Denny May-PHS

Darren Rice and Tommy Mckenzie and Denny May, yep, all good, but JR Vanhoose is a stat keeper. ( and not even a decent one) He isnt an assistant coach by far. :flame:
Moe Wrote:Is Rady Martin still at Allen Central?? If so I'd have to list him as one of the best. He and Henry Webb played High School Basketball together at McDowell I believe. He's a nice guy.
no Rady is now coaching at sfhs. and he is one of the best but you cant take nothing away from Zenith Hall at sfhs either hes a top knoch guy that will do anyhting for the boys up there...hes a really good addition to barry hall and joe marson