Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raceland 2014
Need a bump to the top :insane:
Raceland is very underestimated coming into the 2014 season. With many skill players returning they will need to find their line to counter them. Many underclass men are going to have to step up after the big senior line graduates. The two that i look to lead this team are Wallace and Bradley. Wallace started his freshman year and looks to grow into a smoother player with little mistakes. He is the lone returner on the defensive line. Bradley started his junior year at center and has the fundamentals down to be a leader. He is also a lone returner though on the offensive line.
On the radar:
Caden Townshend- Caden is entering his junior year and is one of the strongest kids in the weight room, he just needs to translate that to the football field.
Alex Neice- Alex is a big boy entering his junior year. He saw reps in the rotation last year and is likely to be the perfect candidate to fill a guard spot.
Greg bowling- Greg is entering his senior year. He will need to hit the weights this winter but is a sure candidate for the defensive end spot and offensive tackle. He kind of reminds med of a skinnier Mac Boggs.
Morgan Carman- Carman is going to be a sophomore but was injured earlier in the year. Morgan will need to show the coaches what he is capable to earn a spot.
Jared Manis- Jared is entering his sophomore year and will needed to hit the weight room hard this winter. Look for Manis to be on the defensive side of the ball.
With that said there are plenty of players to fill the spots... Who will step up ? We all will have to wait til august to find out.
I think the soph class of next season will be their biggest advantage. Lots of good SMART football kids in that class. Especially on the line. I think they can use alot of them. I think Raceland will be alot better than people may think next year. Now, imo, they r the 4th beat in the east behind Wburg, Pikeville, Hazard...but they will be competitive. They will take their lumps, but come playoff time, they will be a tough team.
Fans might have to be a little patient next season, a lot of players will be stepping into new roles on both sides of the ball. But Raceland has an extremely talented and experienced senior class (Young, Messer, Dixon, Vance, Bradley) all guys that played huge roles in the Rams success in 13'. Several other seniors-to-be have seen significant experience over the past 3 years. It may take a few games for these guys to hit their full stride but I think by playoff time this Raceland team can go just as far, if not further, than last years team. The talent of the skill positions for this team is outstanding.
NoPicks Wrote:Fans might have to be a little patient next season, a lot of players will be stepping into new roles on both sides of the ball.

Developing the line will be the key to success for the '14 team.
I been wanting to say this for sometime now.Raceland had the best fans this year to come to Williamsburg...An I'm not kidding. :Cheerlead
Well maybe the stars will align and we can get a rematch at our place next year
Our fans generally are one of the best traveling fan based in the state. Especially for football. Lots of 2nd, 3rd, and in some cases 4th generations playing football for the Rams. Families like the Walkers, Forrests, Christians, Litterals, Johnsons, Manis', have all put multiple guys on the field with RAMS on their chest and theirs even more making there way through the ranks. Mauks, Caldwells, Walkers, Manis', Helms, and Rambos all have more than one boy in either the feeder system, JR High, or Frosh classes.
64SUR Wrote:I been wanting to say this for sometime now.Raceland had the best fans this year to come to Williamsburg...An I'm not kidding. :Cheerlead
Raceland has always has traveled well. I remember going to Paris to see the Rams when they were 1-9 that season and our crowd outnumbered Paris' crowd. It was my wife's first Raceland game, she was so amazed that so many people would drive that far to support their team.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
It's going to make things interesting if the realignment plays out the way it is projected to. With Frankfort and Beechwood being the only substantial semi's teams consistently(that would be left) it makes the East more top heavy with the Mt and NEKY 1A schools staying the same. Generally speaking, the East wouldnt change much. With Betsy Lane really being the only EKY change. Raceland's district, however, should remain the most competitive district. Though, if Bishop Brossart plays down, it could shake things up in the NKY district. Realignment will make championship games a little closer in single a. Whic is a good thing. Its been awhile since there was a game like the 06 Danville/NCC game. That was a freezing rain/sleet/snow classic.
Only Raceland fans underestimate Raceland. Much like this year Raceland will be one of the 3 favorites in that region with Paintsville trying to sneak in. Rams fans know their personal better than anybody but they looked like they had a bunch of good players to me. With their numbers and coaches I expect them to be right back in the hunt. Pikeville and Fairview will do everything they can to prove me wrong.
^^^in regaurds to Fairview, has anyone heard anything on their coaching status?
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:^^^in regaurds to Fairview, has anyone heard anything on their coaching status?

Word on the street is Fred Ray.
64SUR Wrote:I been wanting to say this for sometime now.Raceland had the best fans this year to come to Williamsburg...An I'm not kidding. :Cheerlead

I agree. I was at the game on the visitors side and they were classy and unlike some I saw in East Kentucky that talk trash to the players.
Slic Ric Wrote:Word on the street is Fred Ray.

The same Fred Ray that's already on the staff? I had heard the same thing, though. I had also heard word that a few "well known, former/current coaches and former aream players" were "lining up", hard to believe that to be true, especially of they are staying within thr staff. I think it would be hard to get someone to come in from outside the system though, with every thing that has gone on.
Fairview needs to hire super and principal first. What coach would accept a job without knowing who his boss will be? Fairview is in bad shape
^^^agreed agreed agreed. Sad thing is, Musick comes out clean as a whistle, as always. While the McPeaks get thrown under the bus. Not that they were inocent, but the way things laid out is crock. Anywho, anyone know when lifting gets under way?
Who replaces TJ when he takes over the Russell program???
I, like many, would be rather suprised if TJ leaves. He has a good thing going at Raceland right now. He has the full support of the school as well as the community, he is one or two position coaches away from having the perfect staff, and he has a load of tallent, size, brains, speed, strength coming through the ranks, especially with the regional monkey off of his back.

I see the reasons that Russell would want him, I also see why he would want to coach their, I just think that he stays at Raceland. He and his staff are domig into their own. Next year will be his 6th year as the head coach. It usually takes a coach 3-5 years to get their Identity figured out. I think that is happening at Raceland. So I think he stays.

With that said. IF it were to happen, I would say Mike Salmons would be the first man within the system to get an offer. If that were the case you may very well see Grizzle move to OCcif Mike wouldnt keep it. I think over the next few years, if e doesnt get snatched up, you will see Grizzle making his way through the coaching ranks. If he is still on the staff in the next 10 years, it wouldnt shock me to see him at the helm at Raceland. But I honestly dot know outsode of Salmons who would take over if he did infact leave. But I dont think it will happen.
If Racelands smart they dont give it to Salmons. Fannin is a the hire that should be made when tj leaves.
Salmons would do a great job.
I don't see anything changing at Raceland. But if TJ were to leave, both Salmons and Fannin would do an outstanding job as head coach.
NoPicks Wrote:I don't see anything changing at Raceland. But if TJ were to leave, both Salmons and Fannin would do an outstanding job as head coach.

I don't see it either (and hope it doesn't), but I tell you someone who would do a good job with a wealth of experience who is overlooked because of be a lifetime assistant is Mark Lewis.

Not sure he'd want it though.
I would be shocked if Lewis would be interested. He is a great motivater though and the kids love him. I call him a Character with Character! Loves the tame and loves beig around the kids. I think Fannin could work. He and Joey Cantrell, were my OC/DC in jr high and Fannin was my position coach in High School. Fannin has paid his dues, buthe is another one that i am not particularl sure would take the job. Idt there's anything to be concerned. About though.

With that said, what do u Raceland guys think about this?
It was metioned in another thread about single A schools havig issues w scheduling other schools their size outside of the district and still have games be competiive. How would you all feel about a rotating bowl at Pikeville and Hazard. "Little Beast of the East" or something like that. Matchups:

Raceland vs Hazard
Fairview vs Williamsburg
Paintsville vs Pikeville

Then rotate them. Both Pikeville and Hazard are fairly centralized for the other teams and have turf fields to keep from them being destroyed. The only issue I see is that 3 of the top teams in the east reside in one district, so they woukd have to avoid playing eachother, due to district games. Thoughts?