Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transfer Rule?
jumper1 Wrote:I've read and re-read the rules posted on the kymsfa website dated 2013 and that's basically what it sais. I don't see any issue with it myself, in high school play all a transfer has to complete is 5 practices before the transfer would become eligible to play varsity ball after the khsaa signs off on the transfer. As of now he has well over five practices and by the time the playoffs begin will have as many as 3 conference games played. My guess is that next year the khsaa will address this issue in writing when they take over middle school athletics.

You keep comparing this to the high school rule in that he only needs 5 practices to be eligible. However what you are leaving out is if this were high school he would have to sit out almost an entire year before he would be clear to participate with the team. I'm not sure if the rule is 1 year from the day of transfer or based on the number of games you played at the previous school. IMO this is the first time KYMSFA has dropped the ball
goBIGblue82 Wrote:You keep comparing this to the high school rule in that he only needs 5 practices to be eligible. However what you are leaving out is if this were high school he would have to sit out almost an entire year before he would be clear to participate with the team. I'm not sure if the rule is 1 year from the day of transfer or based on the number of games you played at the previous school. IMO this is the first time KYMSFA has dropped the ball

My post stated that a player could play after 5 practices once the player is cleared to play by the KHSAA. Not that they can just come in and play after 5 practices. As of right now middle school athletics isn't governed by any body in reference to transfers. If you will read all of my post in this thread I think I have explained the processs fairly and a few others including myself have eluded to what will (or won't) happen when the KHSAA takes over next year.
According to the Rule, the Kid can play. He should be allowed to play, the Play-offs has not started.
I agree under the current middle school rule the kid should play, in high school, he would not have been able to, might be one reason for the KHSAA to step in like they are proposing to do!
jumper1 Wrote:My post stated that a player could play after 5 practices once the player is cleared to play by the KHSAA. Not that they can just come in and play after 5 practices. As of right now middle school athletics isn't governed by any body in reference to transfers. If you will read all of my post in this thread I think I have explained the processs fairly and a few others including myself have eluded to what will (or won't) happen when the KHSAA takes over next year.

I think you took my post as arguing the fact of how it should be handled. I'm not doing that. You explained the process well and I agree with the way it is set up now he should be able to play. I was simply saying you are referring to it being the same as in High School, but if this was a high school situation the kid in question would'nt be eligible until next season. Going forward IMO this is definetly something the KMSFA has to look at as far as how the transfer rule should be handled. You can't tell me a kid should be able to practice and play for one team for 3 months and transfer and play the last 3 weeks of the season on another team. Especially, when there is not a legitimate move made by the family.
Jumper, just out of curiousity what are the three regular season games the athlete competed in?
I will recheck my statment but I think I said that he will have played in as many as three conference games before playoffs, not necessarily regular season games. 1. Clay Co. 2. Corbin 3. Depends on tonight.

I've also stated that I believe that this will change next year as it should have some sort of governing body that needs to sign off on a student athlete. It just currently happens that Meece is on the recieving end of the deal. It hasn't been uncommon for students to move around and play for other teams. Off the top of my head I can think of 4 nice athletes that has left Meece in the last few years and competed for another local team. All 4 as I understand left Meece during the then current football season. At the end of the day he is eligible to play which leaves me to conclude that I have nothing more to say on the subject. Good luck to all teams, stay healthy and God bless. :Thumbs:
jumper1 Wrote:I will recheck my statment but I think I said that he will have played in as many as three conference games before playoffs, not necessarily regular season games. 1. Clay Co. 2. Corbin 3. Depends on tonight.

I've also stated that I believe that this will change next year as it should have some sort of governing body that needs to sign off on a student athlete. It just currently happens that Meece is on the recieving end of the deal. It hasn't been uncommon for students to move around and play for other teams. Off the top of my head I can think of 4 nice athletes that has left Meece in the last few years and competed for another local team. All 4 as I understand left Meece during the then current football season. At the end of the day he is eligible to play which leaves me to conclude that I have nothing more to say on the subject. Good luck to all teams, stay healthy and God bless. :Thumbs:

Who are the 4?
Looks like the kid is within the rules this year. Maybe the rules need to be looked at next year.